Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I'm in the same boat here. Kansas has a 600 million dollar budget shortfall and no one thinks to drop a few hotels and a few cons out here, when it's the center(ish) of the god damned map for christ sake, which makes travel easier for everyone.

The one convention center I know of out here is so surrounded by eateries and other random crap it should be perfect for something other then . . . apparently a bronyfest (why). look at this, that's homestuck cosplay and a lady with a CRT monitor on her head (also why). It's got everything. like 18 Mcdonalds, an einstien Bros, a few burger King/wendys/hardees/carl's Jr, one of those KFC/Taco bells/pizza huts, one of the two Jack in the Boxes in the loving state, a hobby/game store that is within segway of the convention center, a great mall, a lovely about to be closed mall that has only a sears left, a comedy club, a comedy theater, a barnes & noble, a half price books, 4 wal-marts & targets (each).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

and a lady with a CRT monitor on her head (also why).

That lady(?) was probably cosplaying as Prince Robot IV.

It's from Brian K. Vaughan's current scifi comic book, "Saga." All the robots (from the Robot Planet, duh) have monitors for heads. You can tell heir robot-society status by how nice their screens are. The robot king has a giant flatscreen, and Prince Robot IV has a future-retro scifi television for a head. There's also a robot janitor who has an old beat up B&W television for a head.

Brian K. Vaughan is a good writer. Liked everything else I've read by him (Y: The Last Man and Runaways.)

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Fiddling around with MP Starsaber I discovered his shoulders have a hinged panel that pops out for extra posing power. drat, I love this guy more and more.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

As soon as I saw that Insecticons event pic I thought "I bet T.Reaper will post about this saying how that's a preview of an upcoming legends Kickback".

I taint reaped myself preemptively.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anora posted:

I'm in the same boat here. Kansas has a 600 million dollar budget shortfall and no one thinks to drop a few hotels and a few cons out here, when it's the center(ish) of the god damned map for christ sake, which makes travel easier for everyone.

I've been to Kansas. Nobody should ever go to Kansas.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I didn't want to disparage Kansas. Didn't do me any harm.

In other news:

Apollyon is coming.

All hail Apollyon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Louisiana has a $1.3 billion budget shortfall (Thanks, Jindal!), let's all go to New Orleans and spend our money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anora posted:

Major conventions are put in cities people want to go to with good transportation. Kansas City airport is the biggest serving Kansas and isn't even in Kansas. After that is the Wichita airport which has about a quarter of the flights per year as KC. Conventions in smaller areas are generally regional things to attract small, local audiences, which isn't really going to do much for a budget shortfall.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That lady(?) was probably cosplaying as Prince Robot IV.

It's from Brian K. Vaughan's current scifi comic book, "Saga." All the robots (from the Robot Planet, duh) have monitors for heads. You can tell heir robot-society status by how nice their screens are. The robot king has a giant flatscreen, and Prince Robot IV has a future-retro scifi television for a head. There's also a robot janitor who has an old beat up B&W television for a head.

Brian K. Vaughan is a good writer. Liked everything else I've read by him (Y: The Last Man and Runaways.)

It looks nothing like Prince Robot, nor his wife.

The_Doctor posted:

Louisiana has a $1.3 billion budget shortfall (Thanks, Jindal!), let's all go to New Orleans and spend our money.

I'm just imagining some of the TFW fans down there while Mardi Gras is going on. Those not coated in beads they're to shy to hand out would probably be complaining about how G1 boobs were better.

Also isn't that debt related to Katrina, and not the Governor going, "No more income tax!" Then not knowing where to make up the money. (Gotta love when basically every news outlet is like "WTF, Brownback?")

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I found a non-Armada Megatron :toot:

He's pretty neato. :toot: :toot:

Not perfect and he's got a few obnoxious flaws, but he's Megatron!!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

For Canadians, good news if you want a "slightly" cheaper Megatron: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/transformers-generations-leader-class-megatron-figure/6000191398500

But don't worry they'll make it back charging $20 on the deluxes. Hurray!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

It looks nothing like Prince Robot, nor his wife.

Well, I guess that person is cosplaying wrong*?

Who knows what kind of budget they have? Maybe an old CRT monitor is all they could find to fit on their giant melon?

*Cosplay is wrong and will be forbidden when I am in charge.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

FFS it's an old TV, there is a speaker hole in the side.

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 2, 2015

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
In MTMTE last, why was there an insecticon (Bombshell?) hanging out when Ratchet said goodbye to the human on earth?.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Captain Magic posted:

In MTMTE last, why was there an insecticon (Bombshell?) hanging out when Ratchet said goodbye to the human on earth?.

Bombshell abducted and experimented on that human later

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

edit: already answered

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So did he finish Battlestar or what?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
According to All Hail Megatron he and Sunstreaker tried to watch it through, but Sideswipe didn't let them.

Got Breakdown, Off-Road, and Dead End. They're all nice, super tight joints, especially Breakdown. Just need to stuff them all together.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So I just finished Vol 6 of MTMTE, and while I loved it, I had a couple questions.
Why are the Decepticon Justice Division so strong? Why can they just destroy everything when vastly outnumbered with no issues?
Also, what did every think about them bringing back the character they did? I was happy, of course, but I worry they will get into a place where things stop mattering and things won't have consequences.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So I just finished Vol 6 of MTMTE, and while I loved it, I had a couple questions.
Why are the Decepticon Justice Division so strong? Why can they just destroy everything when vastly outnumbered with no issues?

I don't get why they're wasted hunting down AWOL Decepticons when it seems like they'd be better utilized kicking the poo poo out of Autobots.

But then I remember it's comic book logic and it's all good

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nah, the DJD as they were introduced makes sense. There's a point where the conflict started to go galactic, and Megatron's methodology didn't work so great when the 'cons under his command would naturally just want out. The Autobots were built out of Transformers who wanted to fight the 'cons, (guys like the Circle of Light or the neutrals just left) the 'cons were just a bunch of dudes who wanted to be free. So you need an elite squad to track down traitors and to spread fear, as well as keep phase sixers on their toes.

The DJD as executed, well, you know...

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Bad writing, basically. It's one of my big complaints about the DJD, among other things. There is a handwaving moment in #39 that may or may not make you feel better.

Oh and yeah I didn't really like the resurrection but I think it's going to be used to do something extremely horrible in the future, so I forgive it. I don't think original Rewind or Overlord are actually dead.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I assume they rely more in teamwork and strategy to bring down P6ers than just raw strength. I'm always curious about, for example, how strong is Megatron if Overlord was so excited to fight him? How strong is, say, a Combiner compared to a phase sixer? Because they build up guys like Overlord to be nearly unstoppable killing machines that require complex tactics to even slow down.

Not that I want power levels in my TFs or anything.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I think in that case they surprised the crew that they wiped out. In a lot of the other cases it seems like they just pick off individual guys.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Nah, the DJD as they were introduced makes sense. There's a point where the conflict started to go galactic, and Megatron's methodology didn't work so great when the 'cons under his command would naturally just want out. The Autobots were built out of Transformers who wanted to fight the 'cons, (guys like the Circle of Light or the neutrals just left) the 'cons were just a bunch of dudes who wanted to be free. So you need an elite squad to track down traitors and to spread fear, as well as keep phase sixers on their toes.

The DJD as executed, well, you know...
Bad writing, basically. It's one of my big complaints about the DJD, among other things. There is a handwaving moment in #39 that may or may not make you feel better.

It's not that the DJD in and of itself doesn't make sense, it's that it's current lineup is wasted talent. Get a group of second string badasses together for the DJD; they'd be adequately tough enough as a group to deal with most any individual deserter.

I think we agree, it's just bad writing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Maybe it's a case of motivation.
DJD team needs not only to be a team that can take down a phase sixer but they also must never, ever betray the cause themselves and must be okay with murdering former teammates. Any tough con will probably be okay with being a phase sixer and murdering billions of organic species, djd work takes both physical and mental specifications.

This team of nasty asswipes just happened to also be able to take down an autobot ship (taken by surprise, post-war) but that's not their job.

I also don't see why the return of That Bot means there's no consequence. They didn't bring him back to life, they found another version of him in another universe that they only accessed under very, very special circumstances and it becomes clear he's not quite the same guy later.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

catch22 posted:

I think we agree, it's just bad writing.
Yeah, we're just placing it at slightly different marks. I think other than Tarn they actually might be second-string, it's hard to say since Roberts hasn't detailed out what happened to Megatron's inner circle of warriors elite or whatever the pre-Phase sixer term for his best dudes was, we really don't know. Originally it was implied that they've each been replaced a couple times, but I think we're now supposed to take Tarn as going back to the formation of the DJD.

I re-read Remain in Light to dig up the Cyclonus/Tailgate conversation about how he was basically a newborn and man I forgot how many plot threads were left going after that.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
There doesn't seem to be any point in the DJD teaming up with Deathsaurus if they killed all those hundreds of Autobots so easily the first time. They didn't get any help from Brainstorm or Overlord, but I sort of wonder if Rewind had something to do with it, since they did leave without trying to find him or kill him. Maybe they'd just gotten bored.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
He's not just going after the list, Megs, and the lost light, he's going after everyone that isn't a decepticon. He's basically going to war with the rest of the Transformers.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a new That Bot From A Mirror Universe from one of the more recent issues, or are we talking about the first one?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think there's much of an in-depth explanation as to why some dudes are way better at fighting than other dudes. So long as the whole dynamic of who can beat who isn't front and center of the narrative, I kind of just assume it all works on Dragonball Z rules.

The DJD haven't really done that much absurd damage either. They normally take down rogue decepticons one at time, using their numbers. We don't know the full story of the alternate Lost Light, but they probably had the advantage of surprise going for them, and even then they lost two people. Both times that the DJD announced themselves beforehand, they were successfully fended off. Overlord's the one who is just unfairly powerful, being basically invincible and unstoppable because of some vague quirk of his birth and effortlessly taking out people left and right. Of course, Megatron technically has him beat from that one time he squared off against that giant monster made up of the bulk of all cybertronians.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think there's much of an in-depth explanation as to why some dudes are way better at fighting than other dudes. So long as the whole dynamic of who can beat who isn't front and center of the narrative, I kind of just assume it all works on Dragonball Z rules.

The DJD haven't really done that much absurd damage either. They normally take down rogue decepticons one at time, using their numbers. We don't know the full story of the alternate Lost Light, but they probably had the advantage of surprise going for them, and even then they lost two people. Both times that the DJD announced themselves beforehand, they were successfully fended off. Overlord's the one who is just unfairly powerful, being basically invincible and unstoppable because of some vague quirk of his birth and effortlessly taking out people left and right. Of course, Megatron technically has him beat from that one time he squared off against that giant monster made up of the bulk of all cybertronians.

Yeah overlord kinda sucks. The writer's made it pretty clear that he's meant to be modelled off The Master from Doctor Who, but one of the Master's key features is he's likeable/charming and also fallable. Having an utterly unlikable utterly unstoppable character is more annoying than anything else.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

The DJD haven't really done that much absurd damage either. They normally take down rogue decepticons one at time, using their numbers. We don't know the full story of the alternate Lost Light, but they probably had the advantage of surprise going for them, and even then they lost two people.
They didn't lose anyone against the Lost Light. It's implied they walked in, saw Drift, began killing and basically made a joke of it.

But yeah, they mostly haven't done much, except kill at least one if not more Phase Sixers.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

They didn't lose anyone against the Lost Light. It's implied they walked in, saw Drift, began killing and basically made a joke of it.

But yeah, they mostly haven't done much, except kill at least one if not more Phase Sixers.

Even though they didn't technically lose anyone to the LL crew, it's implied that if they hadn't gone bloodenergon-crazy, they would've been able to make a clean break before the Galactic Council/Black Block Consortium took down Vos and Kaon.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

3 posted:

Even though they didn't technically lose anyone to the LL crew, it's implied that if they hadn't gone bloodenergon-crazy, they would've been able to make a clean break before the Galactic Council/Black Block Consortium took down Vos and Kaon.
No, that's not what happened. Spoilers because this is in the most recent volume.

Alt Ship Brainstorm signals the DJD that he will drop the cloak on Overlord so they can kill him. It isn't really explained why he does this, or what the difference between the two Brainstorms is.
The DJD flies up to the lost, gets on board to kill Overlord, then they see Drift and go nuts. It's implied to be a cakewalk. They lose no one. They execute scores of Autobots. They kill Overlord, and leave.
Months later they recover Nickel from the lost colony of Prion, Nickel finds out they left a Quantum Foam equipped ship floating out in space, calls them rude words til they go back.
They go back, find the Galactic Council (Admiral Hat's bunch) fighting with the Black Block Consortium (We don't know much about these guys I don't think, except that in the alternate history they successfully take ownership of one of Cybertron's moons.)
The two fleshling groups join forces against the DJD, Vos and Kaon go down to the surface just as the DJD ship is driven off and are later saved by Trailcutter and First-Aid
Later they go back, teleport them up from the surface and they have the copy of Towards Peace that Trailcutter was reading

Interesting note is there's an odd little error in MTMTE #8 when compared with #39. Kaon claims in #8 he found Overlord. #39 contradicts this. Then again, who expects decent editing when #39... Well there's this thing I'm surprised no one in the thread mentioned.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

No, that's not what happened. Spoilers because this is in the most recent volume.

You're right, just went back and checked. Guess my reading comprehension still needs some work v:shobon:v

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Interesting note is there's an odd little error in MTMTE #8 when compared with #39. Kaon claims in #8 he found Overlord. #39 contradicts this. Then again, who expects decent editing when #39... Well there's this thing I'm surprised no one in the thread mentioned.
I don't see the error in this.

Brainstorm on LL2 contact the DJD, says he'll drop the cloak. But it might be that it takes a while or he has to avoid suspicion. So the DJD continue going down the list while Kaon is doing an active scan for the signature. It is after they go after Misfire that LL2's Brainstorm drops the cloak and Kaon finally gets Overlord's signature and thus the DJD have a merry slaughter of 200 odd Autobots, one Decepticon and one "not a Decepticon".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Is there a Goon League for TF Tactics? I got to Recruit 2 today and it prompted me to join one.

Also, how impossible is it to get BW Megatron on that?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 3, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
KO Mp-20 dropped to $32 shipped on Ebay so I pulled the trigger. Here's hoping the first run are not crap!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Is there a Goon League for TF Tactics? I got to Recruit 2 today and it prompted me to join one.

Also, how impossible is it to get BW Megatron on that?

BW megatron is getable. For some reason CW Megatron appears as an opponent but not in the character unlocks at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Asphyxious posted:

BW megatron is getable. For some reason CW Megatron appears as an opponent but not in the character unlocks at the moment.

Nice, thanks. Good to know I don't have to rush. :) I'm still pretty early, just Recruit 2, but I saw him in one of the tabs and wanted to keep up hope. :)

Should I join a random league, or do any goons wanna punch robots together?