Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not really sure why it has to be black and white.

Kickstarter can allow for the publication and funding of games that wouldn't actually have gotten funded and be used by exploitative developers who are abusing the system. It isn't really a case where it has to be all-in on one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I said come in! posted:

Except i've already pointed out examples of how this isn't true, thus proving that the Kickstarter idea is probably manipulative bullshit. Games like Journey, and Tokyo Jungle are far more unique then anything that's been backed by Kickstarter and both were published by Sony, a massive multi-billion dollar corporation that operates globally. In fact most Kickstarter titles have been pretty generic, and that's probably why the big publishers weren't interested. If you need more examples then look at Transistor, a game that was self published and had no kickstarter.

Your arguments are incredibly weak, stupid, and have no merit. This has nothing to do with me, you just have really flimsy stupid arguments because you take at face value, the word of a business trying to make money while cutting out the middle man. It works, but not for the reasons you think.

So your argument is that two games were made by small second-party devs for Sony and therefore Shovel Knight manipulated and lied to us and every game done from kickstarter is boring and shouldn't have been made? Alternatively gently caress poor people if they can't fund their own video games?

ImpAtom posted:

Kickstarter can allow for the publication and funding of games that wouldn't actually have gotten funded and be used by exploitative developers who are abusing the system. It isn't really a case where it has to be all-in on one or the other.

This is pretty much it. Do whatever you want with the money, just check to make sure the devs actually know what they're doing and aren't trying to pull a fast one on people.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Andrast posted:

Again, do you really think Pillars of Eternity or Shadowrun would exist without kickstarter? Both fantastic games in a genre that was pretty much dead before kickstarter.

You don't get it, there are a couple of examples of interesting games that have been published by big publishers therefore the existing publishing process is exactly perfect as is and there's no need for anything else beyond it. Obvously people who chose to purchase games that came from Kickstarter are just mindless sheep dancing to the strings of big evil businesses like Obsidian, and if they were intelligent they would use that money to pre-order mega hits by benevolent AAA developing corporations like Ubisoft and Acitivision.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Cool, two full pages without a taint reaper post and reading this poo poo is actually worse.

I don't care how the money got there, I'm just happy Yooka Laylee is going to exist and I look forward to playing it in 2018.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

Except i've already pointed out examples of how this isn't true, thus proving that the Kickstarter idea is probably manipulative bullshit. Games like Journey, and Tokyo Jungle are far more unique then anything that's been backed by Kickstarter and both were published by Sony, a massive multi-billion dollar corporation that operates globally. In fact most Kickstarter titles have been pretty generic, and that's probably why the big publishers weren't interested. If you need more examples then look at Transistor, a game that was self published and had no kickstarter.

Your arguments are incredibly weak, stupid, and have no merit. This has nothing to do with me, you just have really flimsy stupid arguments because you take at face value, the word of a business trying to make money while cutting out the middle man. It works, but not for the reasons you think.

Are you seriously that dense? Or are you a taint reaper alt account?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So your argument is that two games were made by small second-party devs for Sony and therefore Shovel Knight manipulated and lied to us and every game done from kickstarter is boring and shouldn't have been made? Alternatively gently caress poor people if they can't fund their own video games?

Your guys own argument is that no big publisher releases unique games because there's no enough money in that, they are only interested in AAA titles like Call of Duty. Are titles like Flower, Tokyo Jungle, and Journey not unique? Correct me if i'm wrong about this. What about the UBISoft Art studio that makes small indie budget titles? And what's the criteria then if two games is not enough? Let me know how many I need to list, but I mean you only came up with two examples yourself. So I don't see what the problem is.

Also, the games you listed, were not made by poor people.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Your guys own argument is that no big publisher releases unique games because there's no enough money in that, they are only interested in AAA titles like Call of Duty. Are titles like Flower, Tokyo Jungle, and Journey not unique? Correct me if i'm wrong about this. What about the UBISoft Art studio that makes small indie budget titles? And what's the criteria then if two games is not enough? Let me know how many I need to list, but I mean you only came up with two examples yourself. So I don't see what the problem is.

Also, the games you listed, were not made by poor people.

jivjov posted:

Are you seriously that dense? Or are you a taint reaper alt account?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Why does it make you so mad that some people want to play games that publishers refuse to develop and are willing to pay their own money to do so? Are you invested in EA or something?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Wii U General Discussion - the great Kickstarter debate

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Adam Bowen posted:

Why does it make you so mad that some people want to play games that publishers refuse to develop and are willing to pay their own money to do so? Are you invested in EA or something?

Amen to this

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All I'm saying is that if Da Vinci was so smart, all his work should have paid for itself - artists having patronage just proves their poo poo isn't worth making. The market has spoken all hail Rand.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
:yikes:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

How are you enjoying your new Nintendo Wii U?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

How are you enjoying your new Nintendo Wii U?

oh my god. it is the best console i have ever owned. i truly mean that.

mario kart 8 is wonderful. ive not had this much fun with game racing since burnout.

and the gamepad is a bit of a revelation. i love being able to play games on it without the tv needing to be around. i wish i'd gotten it, and played the various nintendo games ive missed out on over the years, sooner.

(Metroid NES is tough as balls, but so much fun! As is NSMBwii! i feel like im playing Mario 3 for the first time again)

i am gushing over this

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

there's no spectrum of more or less unique hth

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Rebuying a Wii U today with MK8 and SMW3D.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

James Woods Fan posted:

This is the worst kickstarter pitch I've ever seen.

Enjoy having the device with the funnest games!

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
The Wii U is a great console and the gamepad screen is amazing. You really can't appreciate how nice it is to have off TV play until you try it. Windwaker HD is beautiful and a big improvement over the original in pretty much all ways. Mario Kart 8 and Smash are both extremely fun games to play with friends or online. I love my Wii U and I love discussing it in the Wii U general discussion thread on the Something Awful forums.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

James Woods Fan posted:

:cheers: Nintendo is King

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

James Woods Fan posted:

What ya mean "rebuying", fella? That would imply ya sold yer U at some point an' we don't take yer kind 'round these here parts. Isn't that right, boys?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
First 4 Cups, all Gold place medals on 50cc! loving hell that special cup took a while thanks to blue and red shells!

i love my wiiu

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Saoshyant posted:

What ya mean "rebuying", fella? That would imply ya sold yer U at some point an' we don't take yer kind 'round these here parts. Isn't that right, boys?

All Wii U owners are welcome because we are a cute bunch.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Yoshi's Woolly World is a game that everyone should buy or at least buy the Woolly Amiibo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jarogue posted:

Yoshi's Woolly World is a game that everyone should buy or at least buy the Woolly Amiibo.

I will buy it, if the gameplay is enjoyable, and not for any other reason.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I backed the ukulele because one farty 3D collectathon every 18 years is about what I'd like

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I said come in! posted:

I'm gonna buy the Mario Kart 8 DLC, finally.

It's really good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

VideoGames posted:

First 4 Cups, all Gold place medals on 50cc! loving hell that special cup took a while thanks to blue and red shells!

i love my wiiu

I'd say you're ready to go 200cc for the rest of the cups now. Go for it!

Jarogue posted:

I'm just paying close attention to that game. I want it but Yoshi has a pretty rough history with games, so I want to wait 'till it's out and people have opinions on its gameplay before committing, that said it looks great and fun so far and my girlfriend adores the aesthetic so here's hoping it's really worth getting.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I played Woolly World last year and unless they hosed it up since then, the game will be great.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

The guy saying that "no, you're not REALLY spending money out of your own free will you're feeding into The Man" is pretty funny though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Dear God what have I started

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Katana Gomai posted:

Dear God what have I started

-Yooka-Laylee backers in 2016

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

-Yooka-Laylee backers in 2016

those people have no sense of good and evil

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We're Beyond good and evil. Which, should be getting a spiritual succesor kickstarter any time now after Ubisoft almost certainly poo poo cans it's sequel.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Should I get hyrule warriors

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Have you played Dynasty Warriors before? If not, it's a great intro to the series and one of it's best, and it's just jam-packed with content even before you get into the DLC. I kind of regret getting the DLC simply because I'm never even going to get around to it. If you have played Dynasty Warriors a lot, you might be dynasty warrirored out.

But it's a really fun, weird kind of beat em up/tower defense game, packed to the brim with fanservice(both kinds of fanservice).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Do you like Dynasty Warriors, Zelda, or mashing buttons to watch hundreds of monsters fly away from your attacks? If you like at least two, then yes.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

No one is ever finished with Hyrule Warriors. This is ok.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

greatn posted:

Have you played Dynasty Warriors before? If not, it's a great intro to the series and one of it's best, and it's just jam-packed with content even before you get into the DLC. I kind of regret getting the DLC simply because I'm never even going to get around to it. If you have played Dynasty Warriors a lot, you might be dynasty warrirored out.

But it's a really fun, weird kind of beat em up/tower defense game, packed to the brim with fanservice(both kinds of fanservice).

What you meant to post was "Yes" and then the rest of us could just emptyquote you

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yes this all sounds excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Gamefly is sending me Hyrule Warriors. What is the best mode?

• Locked thread