Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CaptainCarrot posted:

Sanders voted for the 2001 AUMF against the people who did 9/11, which passed 420-1 in the House and 98-0 in the Senate. He voted against the 2002 AUMF and the 2003 invasion, so I don't think one can fairly characterize him as voting for the war.
Why not? Why didn't Bernie have the courage that one guy in the House did? How do we know he won't just go to war with everyone anyway? I'm just asking questions.

quote:

Also, I don't understand why anyone would discuss the John Birch Society in conjunction with Bernie Sanders, since they're hardcore libertarians.
The point the communist person was making was 'the JBS seems to rate Sanders surprisingly well, so gently caress him!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
The 2001 AUMF was Cool and Good.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mooyashi posted:

oh like your friends have never pulled a prank on you

When I said "like" I meant it unironically

Shunting all responsibility onto now-defunct administration figures is the way to go.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

mooyashi posted:

oh like your friends have never pulled a prank on you

"Haha, made you support the illegal invasion of a country on false premises!" :cawg:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nessus posted:

Why not? Why didn't Bernie have the courage that one guy in the House did? How do we know he won't just go to war with everyone anyway? I'm just asking questions.

Not a guy. The vote against the 2001 AUMF was Barbara Lee (D-CA).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cliff Racer posted:

Also, a communist acquaintance of mine has weighed in on Bernie

Welp, wrap it up guys.

Some people just never want to be happy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Joementum posted:

I would've guessed Ron Paul, honestly. Has anyone started a movement to draft Lee as the Only Pure One yet?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

I would've guessed Ron Paul, honestly. Has anyone started a movement to draft Lee as the Only Pure One yet?

Paul originally wanted to no poo poo issue letters of marque, as described in the constitution, but his staffers convinced him that voting no would be political suicide so he reluctantly voted yes.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

PupsOfWar posted:

I like the way Franken backed out of his Iraq War vote, by just explaining that he was tricked by the once-trusted Colin Powell and feels a great sense of betrayal.

Franken didn't vote for it, he never held office until he won the 2008 election.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hadaka Apron posted:

Franken didn't vote for it, he never held office until he won the 2008 election.

Hell, you're right, of course. Wellstone didn't vote fer it either.

I'm misremembering, thinking of Franken's support for the war on the media circuits.

al franken posted:

Howard Dean actually kind of was right. He was against our going in. I think it was a mistake. I was wrong. At the time, I believed Colin Powell. I believed that the presumption that the president is telling you the truth, so I thought I guess we have to go to war. It turns out that we were misled into the war, and not only that, but that, since then, the war has been badly bungled because of hubris, unwillingness to admit mistakes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Paul originally wanted to no poo poo issue letters of marque, as described in the constitution, but his staffers convinced him that voting no would be political suicide so he reluctantly voted yes.
And yet he got the dove vote, huh?

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Looks like we can't count out Kasich. I hate this rear end in a top hat so much. I'm hoping that trying to run as a moderate kills him in the primary, because I think he could actually have a shot in the general.

Why are you scared of that completely generic white moderate male?

I mean literally how would anyone identify this man in a already packed republican field? He is a unknown, has no big achievements, and his face is generic baby boomer #105.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Got into it with a high school acquaintance on Facebook about Hillary. He said she deserved being arrested for treason (giving Russians uranium). After arguing about Super PACs (liberal donors bad, conservative Super PACs good, I am authoritarian for wanting to end all PACs) he then ended by saying how the article I shared about it was bad because it was a false equivalency by saying conservatives do the same thing.

Do people not realize that all candidates will be taking big money interests donations (even Bernie since he cannot control Super PACs)? Also, do most people realize that CGI is a charity and cannot actively get involved with politics?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PerpetualSelf posted:

Why are you scared of that completely generic white moderate male?

I mean literally how would anyone identify this man in a already packed republican field? He is a unknown, has no big achievements, and his face is generic baby boomer #105.
I think the concern is that he manages to be so boring that all the more colorful clowns kill themselves, Kasich sweeps up as being the last man in the room, rides being Generic Republican to the presidency, etc. etc.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Got into it with a high school acquaintance on Facebook about Hillary. He said she deserved being arrested for treason (giving Russians uranium). After arguing about Super PACs (liberal donors bad, conservative Super PACs good, I am authoritarian for wanting to end all PACs) he then ended by saying how the article I shared about it was bad because it was a false equivalency by saying conservatives do the same thing.

Do people not realize that all candidates will be taking big money interests donations (even Bernie since he cannot control Super PACs)? Also, do most people realize that CGI is a charity and cannot actively get involved with politics?

I don't think the argument about CGI is that they think it's directly engaging in the political process, but rather that donors to the Initiative are trying to curry favor and influence outside of the usual channels of lobbying/PACs. In some ways, you can argue that it is a problem because it's circumventing traditional forms of oversight, but it's rich coming from the same party that gave us the Cheney-Haliburton relationship.

You are correct in that the CGI cannot do campaign activities or else they will lose their tax status and face lots of penalties, though.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The CGI poo poo is so loving stupid. It's an actual charity, and yet it gets barrels of ink spilled about how nefarious it is(n't) yet the Beltway media largely shrugs about dark money groups who are actually abusing their social welfare status to run black box political groups. It's really dumb

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nessus posted:

Barbra Lee is my congresswoman and she would never run for president, no one outside of her congressional district knows who she is, but she's massively popular here, runs unopposed most of the time, and actually can get poo poo done for her district. A vanity run would only interfere with that.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The problem isn't political donations, its political donations by foreign governments. Or at least I think it is. Its more of a scandal than chipotlegate or whatever stupid poo poo was clogging up the right wing news waves at that time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cliff Racer posted:

The problem isn't political donations, its political donations by foreign governments. Or at least I think it is. Its more of a scandal than chipotlegate or whatever stupid poo poo was clogging up the right wing news waves at that time.

How prominent is foreign sponsorship, in relation to domestic funding? Like, is it even beyond statistical margin of error?

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

I think the concern is that he manages to be so boring that all the more colorful clowns kill themselves, Kasich sweeps up as being the last man in the room, rides being Generic Republican to the presidency, etc. etc.

How is a generic white republican going to win against loving Hillary of all people?

You all keep going on and on about your friends not being enthusiastic for Hillary, etc, etc. she's really moderate etc.

You have no loving clue how this translates to a general election. Moderate Democratics make killings in elections.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PerpetualSelf posted:

How is a generic white republican going to win against loving Hillary of all people?

You all keep going on and on about your friends not being enthusiastic for Hillary, etc, etc. she's really moderate etc.

You have no loving clue how this translates to a general election. Moderate Democratics make killings in elections.

Yeah, I seriously don't see any of the blue states from 2012 switching to red in a race between Hillary and any of the Republicans who are currently polling above the margin of error. Maybe Florida if it's Bush, I don't know what Floridians think of his legacy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Early leader for "Pic of the Primary", right here. The Cruz photo was pretty good, if only because it looks like they're getting ready to brawl.

Cliff Racer posted:

Paul originally wanted to no poo poo issue letters of marque

After 9/11? You're loving joking.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

PerpetualSelf posted:

I know! President Kerry really wiped the floor with Bush in '04!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PerpetualSelf posted:

When was the last time a WHITE republican won an election? lol thats just absurd to imagine.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mdemone posted:

Hahahaha no I'm not! Basically it would have been a combo of hoping random locals would want a payday (which we actually did do, just with information instead of scalps) and giving Blackwater and anyone else who wanted to go carte blanche to gently caress the place up searching for Osama without US military involvement.

As to states which can switch, it all depends on conditions on election day. A LOT of states could flip if the wrong stuff happens at the right time. Hillary could even win by a bigger margin than Obama did- picking up Georgia, Arizona and maybe Missouri plus all of the Obama states.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hillary knows how to smile, use inflection in her speech, doesn't look like Herman Munster, and won't be facing off against someone with Dubya's Aw Shucks charm.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wheeee posted:

Hillary knows how to smile, use inflection in her speech, doesn't look like Herman Munster, and won't be facing off against someone with Dubya's Aw Shucks charm.

Like it matters, a broken robot would get 48% for the GOP without even campaigning.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Enigma89 posted:

When they don't hold the mercenary groups accountable? I don't really see the big issue with mercenary groups. This whole thing started because of mercenary groups but the bigger question is who loving cares?

If we are going to invade a place who cares if the military is doing it or a private group is doing it. The bigger and more important question is why are we there to begin with.

I don't really see the point of even talking about mercenary groups, more time should be spent on asking WHY are we sending A (military) or B (mercenaries) to XYZ country.

I don't want to argue private vs government because I don't care. At the end of the day if the war is justified then go and end it fast. But I want to spend a lot of time on talking whether or not we should go there and that is why I supported Ron and now Sanders and that is why I could never ever have supported Bush/Obama and now can't support Hillary.

I really think we are talking about two different things and the thing you are talking about I really don't care about. Being supportive of mercenaries doesn't make you a hawk. Voting for Hillary does though.
So you only care whether a war is "justified" or not, rather than who fights the war or how it's actually fought. Well now, you may not care whether the fighting is done with official military forces or paid mercenaries, but I'm sure the Iraqis care very much about multiple mercenary groups doing stupid, deadly poo poo in Iraq with basically no oversight, as does the US military:

quote:

The [US] military was often outright hostile to contractors, for being amateurish, overpaid and, often, trigger-happy.

Contractors often shot with little discrimination — and few if any consequences — at unarmed Iraqi civilians, Iraqi security forces, American troops and even other contractors, stirring public outrage and undermining much of what the coalition forces were sent to accomplish.
The Iraq war was not justified. This does not mean that the horrid conduct of mercenary groups there was/is immaterial just because the war was wrong. There are pages and pages of horrible poo poo mercenary groups did listed there, but it would make this post unreadably long if I linked all of them.

Now as to holding mercenary groups accountable, there is one whole case of that happening:

quote:

On September 16, 2007, employees of Blackwater Security Consulting (since renamed Academi), a private military company, shot at Iraqi civilians killing 17 and injuring 20 in Nisour Square, Baghdad. The killings outraged Iraqis and strained relations between Iraq and the United States. In 2014, four Blackwater employees were tried and convicted in U.S. federal court; one of murder, and the other three of manslaughter and firearms charges.

On October 2, 2007 the Democratic staff of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee released a report stating that Blackwater USA guards have used deadly force weekly in Iraq and have inflicted "significant casualties and property damage." The report found that the guards fired their weapons an average of 1.4 times a week. The report further said that Blackwater reports that its forces fired first in over 80 percent of the cases.

On October 4, 2007 U.S. military reports indicated Blackwater's guards opened fire without provocation and used excessive force. "It was obviously excessive", a U.S. military official speaking on condition of anonymity told the Washington Post. "The civilians that were fired upon, they didn't have any weapons to fire back at them. And none of the IP (Iraqi police) or any of the local security forces fired back at them", the official continued. The Blackwater guards appeared to have fired grenade launchers in addition to machine guns, according to the report.
--
"We see the security firms ... doing whatever they want in the streets. They beat citizens and scorn them", Baghdad resident Halim Mashkoor told AP Television News. He asked, "if such a thing happened in America or Britain, would the American president or American citizens accept it?" Hasan Jaber Salman, a lawyer who was one of the wounded, said that "no one did anything to provoke Blackwater" and that "as we turned back they opened fire at all cars from behind" An Iraqi police officer who was directing traffic at the scene said Blackwater guards "became the terrorists" when they opened fire on civilians unprovoked, while a businessman said he wasn't seeking compensation but only "the truth" from the guards. After a group of Iraqi ministers backed the Iraqi Interior Ministry's decision to shut down Blackwater USA's operations in Iraq, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki called on the U.S. government to end its contract with Blackwater and called on Blackwater to pay the families $8 million in compensation.
Ah, Blackwater, man that brings back memories:

''Erik Prince, founder of Blackwater/Xe/Academi" posted:

I'm a very free market guy. I'm not a huge believer that government provides a whole lot of solutions. Some think that government can solve society's problems. I tend to think private charities and private organizations are better solutions.
Again, the Iraq war was not justified. This does not mean that the horrid conduct of mercenary groups there was/is immaterial just because the war was wrong. gently caress mercenaries/private contractor groups so much.

E:
The point of this post is that Bernie is cool, and against contractors/mercenaries:

quote:

Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) today introduced legislation that would phase out private security contractors in war zones.

This legislation recognizes that the United States increasingly has relied on private contractors to wage our wars, wasting taxpayer money, damaging military morale and hurting our reputation around the world.

"The American people have always prided themselves on the strength, conduct, and honor of our United States military. I therefore find it very disturbing that now, in the midst of two wars and a global struggle against terrorism, we are relying more and more on private security contractors - rather than our own military - to provide for our national defense," Sanders said.

"Our continued reliance on private security contractors endangers our military, damages our relationships with foreign governments, and undermines our global priorities," said Schakowsky. "Though we have the finest military in the world, we continue to outsource our security to private contractors, who answer to a corporation rather than a uniformed commander. When Senator Sanders and I introduced this legislation last year, we had 22,000 armed private contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan. Today, we have 28,178. We need this bill now more than ever. "

Military officers in the field have said that private contractors operate like "cowboys," using unnecessary and excessive force uncharacteristic of enlisted soldiers. In 2007, guards working for a firm then known as Blackwater were accused of killing 17 Iraqis, damaging the U.S. mission in Iraq and hurting our reputation around the world. Later that year, a contractor employed by DynCorp International allegedly shot and killed an unarmed taxi driver. Incidents like this demonstrate that we should leave warfare to the military rather than delegate it to private corporations.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 3, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Possibly confused him with Feingold on the Patriot Act.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Wheeee posted:

Hillary is one of those people who, like Mitt Romney, just looks evil. It doesn't matter if she's actually quite a nice person, she exudes evil vibes.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Hillary Clinton is not charismatic at all. The good news is outside of maybe Huckabee's preacher charisma, neither are any of the Republican candidates.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mdemone posted:

He's totally not!

Congressman Ron Paul posted:

The President promised the American people that the federal government would use every available resource to defeat the global terror network. Congress should immediately issue letters of marque and reprisal to add another weapon to the U.S. arsenal. The war on terrorism is very different from past wars, because the enemy is a group of individuals who do not represent any nation. Western intelligence in the Middle East is exceedingly limited, so we should avail ourselves of the assistance of those with better information to track, capture, or kill Bin Laden.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Under the vegetable posted:

Hillary is one of those people who, like Mitt Romney, just looks evil. It doesn't matter if she's actually quite a nice person, she exudes evil vibes.

Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. For them are the catacombs of Ptolemais, and the carven mausolea of the nightmare countries. They climb to the moonlit towers of ruined Rhine castles, and falter down black cobwebbed steps beneath the scattered stones of forgotten cities in Asia. The haunted wood and the desolate mountain are their shrines, and they linger around the sinister monoliths on uninhabited islands. But the true epicure in the terrible, to whom a new thrill of unutterable ghastliness is the chief end and justification of existence, esteems most of all the ancient, lonely farmhouses of backwoods Chappaqua; for there the dark elements of strength, solitude, grotesqueness, and ignorance combine to form the perfection of the hideous.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Under the vegetable posted:

Hillary looks Cool and was attractive 35 years ago.

You've got it backwards.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Weltlich posted:

I know! President Kerry really wiped the floor with Bush in '04!

Kerry was a white Democratic who was actually perceived as quite Liberal by the vast majority. He also was really boring and not really unique or noticeable and had no achievements in his name. If we had Howard Dean in that election we probably would of won.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Cliff Racer posted:

Hahahaha no I'm not! Basically it would have been a combo of hoping random locals would want a payday (which we actually did do, just with information instead of scalps) and giving Blackwater and anyone else who wanted to go carte blanche to gently caress the place up searching for Osama without US military involvement.

As to states which can switch, it all depends on conditions on election day. A LOT of states could flip if the wrong stuff happens at the right time. Hillary could even win by a bigger margin than Obama did- picking up Georgia, Arizona and maybe Missouri plus all of the Obama states.

She could even pick up Arkansas if she plays her cards rights and cozies up to the right people. (Wal-Mart)

steinrokkan posted:

Like it matters, a broken robot would get 48% for the GOP without even campaigning.

48% in elections these days is a utter landslide for the opposition candidate. Percentages don't mater BTW. Electoral Votes Do. gently caress Electoral Votes are probably the only reason Democrats have any chance anymore.

PerpetualSelf fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 3, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PupsOfWar posted:

You've got it backwards.

No, she's always looked like a reptilian bent on destroying all society.

Mitt at least looked like a clueless android, which is a bit better.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

PerpetualSelf posted:

Kerry was a white Democratic who was actually perceived as quite Liberal by the vast majority. He also was really boring and not really unique or noticeable and had no achievements in his name. If we had Howard Dean in that election we probably would of won.

The point is that he lost the the huge gently caress-up of a president that was George Bush because he failed to motivate Democrats to turn out and vote for him.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 3, 2015

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

PupsOfWar posted:

You've got it backwards.

All of the older women in my life have been abusive so I'll admit a bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ben Carson has some thoughts on guns. Some gun thoughts.

quote:

Number one, to make sure that the citizens could assist the military in case of invasion, and to think that that is farfetched, all you have to do is go to the Middle East and see some of the things that are happening there. I have a friend who is a missionary doctor, called me two weeks ago quite distressed, he was over in Iraq, went back to one of the villages that they had helped in before and it was desolate, ISIS had gotten there before them, killed all the men, taken the women captive, I mean, if those people had the ability to defend themselves maybe that wouldn’t have happened. To think that we are completely isolated from that I think is silly, particularly knowing that there are cells in this country right now.

Thank goodness that, unlike the notoriously unarmed populations of the Middle East, Americans have the tools to defend themselves against the ISIS attack sqauds that are totally, probably within our borders. Perhaps even next door! OH NO THE ISIS IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!

quote:

You know, we think that that is farfetched but you know you look at what has happened historically to nations where the government did become tyrannical and what did they do first? Get rid of people’s guns. Get rid of people’s guns rights. It was Thomas Hobbes, the English philosopher of the 17th century when talking about tyranny in Europe, he said it would never occur in America because American citizens have guns and they won’t let it happen.

Hobbes died in 1679, but otherwise, sure, good point. Perhaps he was such a good philosopher that he found the Philosopher's Stone and became immortal. That's probably it.

• Locked thread