Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dogen posted:

Awesome! I used the 750 after ditching my starter preamp and was happy with it. Glad the return works and it cleaned up fine. What cartridge did you order?

I ordered the Audio-Technica AT95E. My goal was something well-reviewed under $50, and this one had good reviews on Amazon and elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ColdPie posted:

I ordered the Audio-Technica AT95E. My goal was something well-reviewed under $50, and this one had good reviews on Amazon and elsewhere.

Frankly, I'm still of the opinion that the 95e is all most people need. I have one on both of my tables and I don't feel any pressing need to upgrade anytime soon. It's a great cart.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

atomicthumbs posted:

Someone recycled this old hunk of junk.

Anyone want it? I figure it's so heavy there are some pretty good ferrous metals in there so it's going in the bin otherwise. $10 takes it.

Why do you lie to us like this?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Frankly, I'm still of the opinion that the 95e is all most people need. I have one on both of my tables and I don't feel any pressing need to upgrade anytime soon. It's a great cart.

Yeah like most good entry level cartridges really the most you would ever do would be to eventually replace the stylus with something better, but it starts out plenty fine. Unlike the cheapest AT whose name escapes me but is a sort of mustard color, which is terrible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dogen posted:

Yeah like most good entry level cartridges really the most you would ever do would be to eventually replace the stylus with something better, but it starts out plenty fine. Unlike the cheapest AT whose name escapes me but is a sort of mustard color, which is terrible.

The $25 conical one? I made the mistake of getting it for my Vector Research when the radio shack-proprietary Shure that my dad had had on it croaked. It was a turd. I heard one dude in a HiFi shop I know describe the jump from that cart to the 95e as "way more profound" than the jump from the 95e to like anything else in the <$300 category.

Still wanna try the Ortofon Red/Blue at some point.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Would there be any interest in buying my audio gear?

Yamaha CX1000 preamp
Yamaha MX600 amp with replaced caps
Paradigm Monitor 7 towers speakers

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The $25 conical one? I made the mistake of getting it for my Vector Research when the radio shack-proprietary Shure that my dad had had on it croaked. It was a turd. I heard one dude in a HiFi shop I know describe the jump from that cart to the 95e as "way more profound" than the jump from the 95e to like anything else in the <$300 category.

Still wanna try the Ortofon Red/Blue at some point.

Yeah, stay the hell away from conical or spherical styluses. Elliptical should be the minimum acceptable type.

About the Ortofons, do you mean the 2M, the Cadenza or the Quintet? They all follow the red/blue/bronze/black scale.

I'm using an OM cartridge, which is sort of the predecessor to the 2M. Apparently the sound is very similar, especially if you upgrade the OM to the Stylus 10/20/30/40 series. The main difference is that the 2M is physically bigger and heavier to better match the higher-mass tonearms that are apparently more popular now, in combination with low/medium-compliance styluses. The OM is so light that I had to use the included 2.5g weight and a new headshell that was 3g heavier than stock. Otherwise I just couldn't hit the right tracking weight (1.8g) without bottoming out the counterweight on my SL-1500.

I'm sure it would have been a lot easier if I had bought a 2M instead, but I wanted the OM because I prefer the slim and sleek black look. The straight sides also makes it super easy to line up in the headshell with the Technics alignment gauge.

If you look at the 2M cartridge itself with the stylus removed, I'm pretty sure you could actually mount an OM stylus to it. It would look weird, but it wouldn't surprise me if it worked.

E: The 2M seems to be a lot easier to mount, thanks to the threaded holes. With the OM you have to fiddle around with screws and nuts.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 26, 2015

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

KozmoNaut posted:

If you look at the 2M cartridge itself with the stylus removed, I'm pretty sure you could actually mount an OM stylus to it. It would look weird, but it wouldn't surprise me if it worked.

Certainly does. I've had several of the OM stylii on my 2M red body after I accidentally bent the 2M's cantilever.

The cartridge needs to be set back and the VTA raised slightly as the whole lot is a bit longer and taller, but it certainly works.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Man, I just have the worst luck in buying defective electronics to repair and sell on. All of these things were bought as defective/broken/for spare parts only.

Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 5000 receiver $15 - No faults found, just needed to be cleaned up a bit.
Yamaha A100 power amp $20 - Only played in one channel, switch moved from "mono" to "stereo".
ESI nEAR 4 powered speakers $8 - Only played in one speaker, volume control plug reset.
Denon PMA-520 integrated amp $12 - Needed a spritz of contact cleaner in the tape monitor switch, otherwise faultless.

I just keep buying things with absolutely trivial or non-existent faults. It's actually kind of aggravating when you're actively looking for something with an interesting fault or weird periodic behavior to really dig into.

The only properly faulty thing I've bought is the Thorens TD-105 Mk II record player for $20, which ran way too fast and didn't auto stop/return. That one did require a bit of electronics work to get back into working condition, but it still only took an hour or so.

I am also saddened by how quickly people deem something to be "defective" and are ready to throw it out, when in actual fact there may be absolutely nothing wrong. With the Denon amp, I'm pretty sure the guy just had a cable with a bad connection. According to him, the left channel was noisy on some of the inputs. So he bought a new $300 amp instead of a $2 cable that would probably have solved the problem.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
When I was in high school we went around on "big garbage day" where people would put out furniture and appliances for pickup. We'd find all kinds of stereos, almost always with a blown fuse and nothing more.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
So I got laid off from my job at the end of March, so I've had a bit more free time to search for stuff. Having to thin the collection of gear since my wife thinks having a bunch of stereo equipment while unemployed is a bad idea. But been finding stuff as well, check out some of the stuff I've found in the past month.

Found a bunch of turntables, Technics SL-1700,1700 Mk2 and a few others, which just needed minor work to get running. Bought a shelf system so I could organize things a bit better.

Friend found this beast for me, too bad it goes in protection, it's a Onkyo M-508. That amp weights a ton, I feel bad for my tech that is going to work on it, this is something I can't fix.

Now for something I can fix, a Pioneer RT-707, it's having pitch issues so cleaning the pitch pot and switch and see how it goes. Also putting a new counter belt on it and relubing everything. Since I already have one I'll be putting this one I ebay to pay for some bills.

Went to a surplus auction at the local collage, they had these pair of JBL 4312As. My first time at a live in person auction, I totally got into it and blurted out a high bid and most likely paid more for them then I should.. Figures I get them home and both tweeters were blown. Replacements tweeters are pricey, so took them apart and found that the thin wires going to the voice coil corroded away. Since I don't have steady enough hands, had my tech fix them in like 5min, 20 dollar repair instead of replacements that cause over 80 each.

Got this Sansui AU-999 with box and packing material and it's in great shape. Need to find a spot for it in the Sansui rack and see if I like it or not.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cool stuff! I wish I could find things that often. This weekend will officially start my garage sale season so I'm crossing my fingers. :)

I did get a pair of JBL L56 speakers for free recently. They're a huge improvement over my old Pioneer speakers, which now sound absurdly bass-ey in comparison. Plus I also got to learn how to refoam and fix a punctured cone.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
One of the passive woofers on my Klipsch had a hole knocked into it. Some guys off of AK said to layer coffee filter with elmers glue and just patch it that way. I did it and worked out well, then I took a black marker and colored the coffee filter black.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 30, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So uh, I accidentally ran over the power cord to my Rega RP3 while vacuuming and tore it apart. I've googled tried to find replacement parts for sell anywhere with no luck, but I'm pretty sure it's a standard type AC adapter, I just don't know well-enough to figure out what it is and the manual doesn't mention it. Anyone that can help me out?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Does it have a wall wart or does the power cord go straight into the turntable? If it's the latter, just replace it with any other AC power cord.

But really, any cord can be mended with fairly simple tools. A basic set of crimping tools can be found at any hardware store.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 2, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Does it have a wall wart or does the power cord go straight into the turntable? If it's the latter, just replace it with any other AC power cord.

But really, any cord can be mended with fairly simple tools. A basic set of crimping tools can be found at any hardware store.

I tossed it because I was in the middle of rearranging the room and thought it was to a cheap lamp I have but I found the lamp cord last night.

Pretty sure it had a wall wart. Like I said I'm sure it's a generic thing, but I can't find information on how much power or what size the adapter that plugs in is supposed to be. I tried some other ones with similar form but they weren't the right size.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I tossed it because I was in the middle of rearranging the room and thought it was to a cheap lamp I have but I found the lamp cord last night.

Pretty sure it had a wall wart. Like I said I'm sure it's a generic thing, but I can't find information on how much power or what size the adapter that plugs in is supposed to be. I tried some other ones with similar form but they weren't the right size.

How about pictures. You're not being very helpful.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

BigFactory posted:

How about pictures. You're not being very helpful.

He can't take pictures because he threw it out. You're not being very reading comprehension!

e: it looks like it needs a stepdown transformer to 24VAC. it may or may not need a special balanced AC signal.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 3, 2015

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I found a set of 7 Bose speakers today at Goodwill for $60. Including:

1 pair of 161 small bookshelf speakers
1 pair of Bose 151 SE outdoor speakers
1 VCS-10 center speaker
1 pair of 201 IV bigger bookshelf speakers

And one absolutely terrible Zenith home theater receiver.

I know Bose is nothing to write home about, but I'm pretty happy to get all these. The 161s will become computer speakers; the 151s will go outside; and the 201s will replace the speakers in my bedroom setup.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

He can't take pictures because he threw it out. You're not being very reading comprehension!

e: it looks like it needs a stepdown transformer to 24VAC. it may or may not need a special balanced AC signal.

He could show us the back of his deck, or the year it was made, or the country he lives in.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've got some vintage gear and I'd like help getting modern gear to work with it.

I've got a pair of ElectroVoice Sentry 100A Studio Monitor speakers, from when my Dad worked at ElectroVoice back in the day. The Heathkit amplifier that he gave me with the speakers bit the dust a few years ago, and I miss my speakers' sweet, sweet sound.

What amp should I get for these speakers? I don't have a turntable or vinyl, or even CDs anymore; though I may again in the future. This would be to listen to streaming music, and movies. I've never bought an amp before, and the local place that could have helped me get the right kind closed last year.

Also, I bet these speakers will need new foam now or soon. Do you all order a kit and do the work yourself, or ship the speakers to someone to do it for you? I'm relatively handy, but I'd like the job to be done right so I can have the speakers for another 20 years.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ghost Cactus posted:

I've got a pair of ElectroVoice Sentry 100A Studio Monitor speakers, from when my Dad worked at ElectroVoice back in the day. The Heathkit amplifier that he gave me with the speakers bit the dust a few years ago, and I miss my speakers' sweet, sweet sound.

What amp should I get for these speakers? I don't have a turntable or vinyl, or even CDs anymore; though I may again in the future. This would be to listen to streaming music, and movies. I've never bought an amp before, and the local place that could have helped me get the right kind closed last year.

How are you going to use them? Will it just be a normal stereo setup, fed from a PC/turntable/CD player, that sort of thing where the source handles all the advanced stuff when it comes to streaming etc.? Because in that case, basically any stereo amp with 25-50 watts per channel or more will do just fine, especially if you're doing a near-field listening setup. Go hunt through Craigslist, secondhand/thrift stores and the like and you'll soon find something, especially if you don't need a remote.

For instance, a couple of days ago I got a 70 watt per channel Denon stereo amp for about $12. Of course, it was "broken" and needed a bit of contact cleaner in the switches. But you should be able to find something very nice for less than $50, no problem.

quote:

Also, I bet these speakers will need new foam now or soon. Do you all order a kit and do the work yourself, or ship the speakers to someone to do it for you? I'm relatively handy, but I'd like the job to be done right so I can have the speakers for another 20 years.

If the surrounds are indeed foam and not paper or rubber, they probably need to be restored even if the foam isn't cracking yet. There are kits for basically every speaker out there.

The normal procedure is to cut out the old surrounds using a sharp knife and a steady hand, and then simply glue in the new surrounds with contact cement. It's not terribly hard, but you do need steady hands to do a good job.

Depending on whether you have a guy local to you, a professional job usually isn't very expensive. The hardest part is finding a guy to do it.

E: It looks like they have a foam "wave guide" or somesuch around the tweeters as well. That should be no problem to replace yourself, if you can find similar foam at a hobby store or something.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 3, 2015

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

How are you going to use them? Will it just be a normal stereo setup, fed from a PC/turntable/CD player, that sort of thing where the source handles all the advanced stuff when it comes to streaming etc.? Because in that case, basically any stereo amp with 25-50 watts per channel or more will do just fine, especially if you're doing a near-field listening setup. Go hunt through Craigslist, secondhand/thrift stores and the like and you'll soon find something, especially if you don't need a remote.

For instance, a couple of days ago I got a 70 watt per channel Denon stereo amp for about $12. Of course, it was "broken" and needed a bit of contact cleaner in the switches. But you should be able to find something very nice for less than $50, no problem.

Thank you - yes it will be a normal stereo setup with my computer handling the advanced stuff. I enjoy a good Craigslist hunt and I'll get started.

KozmoNaut posted:

If the surrounds are indeed foam and not paper or rubber, they probably need to be restored even if the foam isn't cracking yet. There are kits for basically every speaker out there.

The normal procedure is to cut out the old surrounds using a sharp knife and a steady hand, and then simply glue in the new surrounds with contact cement. It's not terribly hard, but you do need steady hands to do a good job.

Depending on whether you have a guy local to you, a professional job usually isn't very expensive. The hardest part is finding a guy to do it.

E: It looks like they have a foam "wave guide" or somesuch around the tweeters as well. That should be no problem to replace yourself, if you can find similar foam at a hobby store or something.

Thanks for this - I might look into someone in Austin or Dallas (living in Waco has its perks) to do the job for me. I bet I'd do the second speaker really well, but it would take me one speaker to learn on and I'd rather it not be mine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Austin Stereo Service in Austin on Burnet. You have to call ahead though because they have a backlog, they'll let you know when you can bring your stuff in.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Dogen posted:

Austin Stereo Service in Austin on Burnet. You have to call ahead though because they have a backlog, they'll let you know when you can bring your stuff in.

Excellent, thank you. I'll give them a call.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Okay I did more digging and took off the motor cover and this is the motor in question:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RP3-Replacement-Motor-and-PCB-24v-for-RP3-P3-24-RP6-P5-and-P7-DECO-/221712222810

And this seems to be the power cord to it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-PS2-Power-Supply-Unit-PSU-for-RP3-Fono-Mini-A2D-AC-24V-100mA-DECO-/321692439261

But they no longer have a listing for it and I need a US style socket besides. Googling "Rega PS2" doesn't seem to bring up any relevant hits besides that auction so I think it may have another model name/number maybe.

Can anyone who understands this better than me look at that and see if it's something you can potentially just buy a generic version of since trying to find an OEM replacement part is seeming more and more fruitless? I sent a message to that seller asking if they could give me any insight but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here also.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Based on that listing, you need a 24v ac-ac transformer of at least 100ma. This will probably work.

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/1010-adu240050-24vac-500ma-output-ac-ac-wall-adapter-ac-ac.html

I don't know what size connector you need, but all jamecos come with that 2.1mm plug so there's a good chance that's what it is since rega probably bought from the same oems.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Cantilever in the stylus magically bent itself so I gotta get a new stylus. Anyone know where I can buy a Grado Green1 stylus online in Germany?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

Based on that listing, you need a 24v ac-ac transformer of at least 100ma. This will probably work.

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/1010-adu240050-24vac-500ma-output-ac-ac-wall-adapter-ac-ac.html

I don't know what size connector you need, but all jamecos come with that 2.1mm plug so there's a good chance that's what it is since rega probably bought from the same oems.

You're awesome, thank you!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I figure a warning for any other EU-based goons is in order. The EU seems to fixing to ban external linear power supplies, which obviously has some audiophiles up in arms, because to them switched-mode and internal power supplies are literally the devil and the antichrist, respectively.

Now, I'm not sure whether this ban affects only AC/DC linear supplies (since switched-mode supplies are much more efficient), or if they're targeting external AC/AC supplies as well.

But if you own equipment that uses external AC/AC adapters, you may want to keep a spare, or be prepared to jerry-rig a solution if your current one blows up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Are they actually the devil and the antichrist?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I can't see how. I assume these are the same kind of people who "upgrade" tables with external power supplies.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

KozmoNaut posted:

I figure a warning for any other EU-based goons is in order. The EU seems to fixing to ban external linear power supplies, which obviously has some audiophiles up in arms, because to them switched-mode and internal power supplies are literally the devil and the antichrist, respectively.

Now, I'm not sure whether this ban affects only AC/DC linear supplies (since switched-mode supplies are much more efficient), or if they're targeting external AC/AC supplies as well.

But if you own equipment that uses external AC/AC adapters, you may want to keep a spare, or be prepared to jerry-rig a solution if your current one blows up.

Isn't an AC/AC adapter just a transformer? I can't imagine those will be restricted. In any case, you would be still be able to import gray market linear supplies, right?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a bit unclear, since I can't find any mention of it on any major news sites.

Australia has had a ban specifically on external linear AC/DC converters for a couple of years. Originally simple AC/AC transformers were to be banned as well, but luckily that was overturned, since the only practical way to do an AC/AC adapter is with a simple transformer.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

Okay, one more question actually. This adapter is rated for 60hz but the motor is 50hz. Would that cause an issue?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Okay, one more question actually. This adapter is rated for 60hz but the motor is 50hz. Would that cause an issue?

You said you needed a U.S.-style plug for the wall so I just presumed you had a 60hz motor. An ac-ac converter that also does frequency switching would indeed be a specialty part, and much harder to source.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Is the motor in your turntable a 50Hz unit, or is that for the motor you found online?

If your turntable was bought in the US, it's a 60Hz unit with about 99.999% certainty.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It's 50hz, I took the cover off and looked at it. I bought it used from a US seller but they must have gotten it from outside the US.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It will only be 20% faster at 60Hz. In time you will get used to dancing a little quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Rega is a UK company, so I would guess that they build all of their turntables with a 50 hz motor and then just swap out the power supply for the US market. Then again the internal circuitry in the turntable might do the conversion for you. I would email Rega at this point.