Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

calusari posted:

Ok, I am happy with my landscapes. NPCs, creatures and indoors are another matter.

What grass mod is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Quick question. I'm getting back around to modding Skyrim again, but I've forgotten a few things since my last go around. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm using Mod Organizer and I'm trying to install SkyUI 4.1, but when I try to download using the manager, I get an error saying the file already exists. From what I remember, I think the fomod file in the download is whats tripping MO up. Could I just download SkyUI manually, delete the fomod folder, and install from the 7zip archive?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Canemacar posted:

Quick question. I'm getting back around to modding Skyrim again, but I've forgotten a few things since my last go around. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm using Mod Organizer and I'm trying to install SkyUI 4.1, but when I try to download using the manager, I get an error saying the file already exists. From what I remember, I think the fomod file in the download is whats tripping MO up. Could I just download SkyUI manually, delete the fomod folder, and install from the 7zip archive?

Check in "Mod Organizer/downloads" to see if the SkyUI 4.1 installer is already there; if so, select it using manual install.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

MikeC posted:

How up to date is the OP with respect to visual mods?

I just got a shiny new GTX 970 and I am looking to get back into skyrim. What mods/settings/texture packs produce the best long distance viewing especially viewing from mountain tops down. From the original game I remember that was the most jarring experience looking down at flat polygons for long distance.

Project ENB, ELFX, the 4k Texture mod and realistic waters 2 is quite the eyesight.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Metalocalypse posted:

If you like mods made by kryptopyr, I'd highly suggest you download and back up everything now. Seems she's having some issues with nexus mod creators and wishes to leave the :nexus: .

Mods such as:

Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade
Clothing and Clutter Fixes
Timing is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control
Trade and Barter
Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade
The Choice is Yours - Fewer Forced Quests - Improved Dialogue Options
Thieves Guild Requirements - No Auto Quest Start Brynjolf
..... and so on.

http://forum.step-project.com/topic/7801-alternative-mod-hosting/#entry124035

Is weapons and armor fixes still something that players can/should use, or was that rolled into the uskp patch at some point?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Check in "Mod Organizer/downloads" to see if the SkyUI 4.1 installer is already there; if so, select it using manual install.

Tried that, but no luck. Ended up just deleting the fomod file since it caused MO to run it's external installer, giving me the "file already exists" error. Once I did that and installed manually, it took with no fuss and now my .bsa and .esp are showing up in MO's data tab. So :shrug:

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006

Mr.Grit posted:

Is weapons and armor fixes still something that players can/should use, or was that rolled into the uskp patch at some point?

To my knowledge, you will want it.

Also, good news. Chesko is back along with ramccoid.

Mods by ramccoid include:

SOUL
DROPS
SPRAY
MIST
OIL
RIPPLES
AND OTHER VARIOUS CAPS-LOCKED ONE WORD MODS.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/1047732/?tb=mods&pUp=1

Goods news for a couple pages back.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Man, doubling the amount of skills you need to level up feels good. It makes the game feel more like it's keeping pace instead of me zooming past it. With base settings, I can barely get out of bed before I'm level 15 and triggering thresholds for the "later" content.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

scamtank posted:

Man, doubling the amount of skills you need to level up feels good. It makes the game feel more like it's keeping pace instead of me zooming past it. With base settings, I can barely get out of bed before I'm level 15 and triggering thresholds for the "later" content.

Ugh this is something I want to do, but I can't seem to google the right words to find such a mod. What are you using to do this? Is it buried in Skytweak somewhere?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

boneration posted:

Ugh this is something I want to do, but I can't seem to google the right words to find such a mod. What are you using to do this? Is it buried in Skytweak somewhere?

Community Uncapper config!

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_-Community-_Uncapper

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Oh drat that looks perfect, and I'm already using that mod for SPERG. Looks like i can set it up so crafting doesn't contribute to leveling as much, which is exactly what I want.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

boneration posted:

Oh drat that looks perfect, and I'm already using that mod for SPERG. Looks like i can set it up so crafting doesn't contribute to leveling as much, which is exactly what I want.

If you're using SPERG, note that it has its own Uncapper config. You can make your own but you have to make sure it either replaces SPERG's or is otherwise loaded after it (maybe by putting it in its own "mod" in Mod Organizer and putting it lower on the left-panel list). You could also use SPERG's as a starting point to modify so you maintain its tweaks.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Holidays is a really cool mod. I just randomly came upon a bunch of witches burning an effigy and dancing for Witches Festival while hunting outside Whiterun.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 2, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

MikeC posted:

How up to date is the OP with respect to visual mods?

I just got a shiny new GTX 970 and I am looking to get back into skyrim. What mods/settings/texture packs produce the best long distance viewing especially viewing from mountain tops down. From the original game I remember that was the most jarring experience looking down at flat polygons for long distance.

Sounds like you'd want some improved LODs more than anything else.

I'd suggest The Skyrim Distance Overhaul LOD Improvement, and SkyFalls and SkyMills - Animated Distant Waterfalls and WindMills.

Sorry for the late reply, but I hope this helps!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Speaking of visual mods, what's a nice lightweight way to improve the contrast and color of the game? Something like Fellout was for Fallout 3/NV.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Elliotw2 posted:

Speaking of visual mods, what's a nice lightweight way to improve the contrast and color of the game? Something like Fellout was for Fallout 3/NV.

I use SweetFX alongside that enhanced lighting mod and the game looks lovely.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Reslistic Lighting Overhaul? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30450

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Imagenator.
E: thought this was the FNV thread.

dbzfandiego fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 3, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I know I'm going to offend some folks here, but there comes a time in every modders life when they have to take a stand, and for me that time is now.

gently caress LOD generation. gently caress it hard, forever.

There, I said it, and I'm not taking it back.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Shots fired.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Agents are GO! posted:

I know I'm going to offend some folks here, but there comes a time in every modders life when they have to take a stand, and for me that time is now.

gently caress LOD generation. gently caress it hard, forever.

There, I said it, and I'm not taking it back.

It's not for changing load orders, but if you want to take a stable mod load order base and generate it, it's a one time thing. Totally worth it.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
DyndoLOD takes a lifetime to do its thing but the results are awesome.

Also, Mator Smash takes like an hour and a half on my load order. Throw in ASIS and PerMa and I can watch a movie while patching my game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gyshall posted:

It's not for changing load orders, but if you want to take a stable mod load order base and generate it, it's a one time thing. Totally worth it.

I mean more along the lines of generating LOD for a brand new worldspace in a mod I'm making.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Alasyre posted:

DyndoLOD takes a lifetime to do its thing but the results are awesome.

Also, Mator Smash takes like an hour and a half on my load order. Throw in ASIS and PerMa and I can watch a movie while patching my game.

Is MatorSmash ready to be used like this? Last time I tried it for a whole load order it didn't work quite well.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Does anyone have a copy of Morrowind Skooma Circa 3rd Era 427-429? This is literally my favorite mod and it has been killed thanks to Paid Mod Gate

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9983/

Did you ever end up finding this or was it posted?
I too would like this if anyone has it.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Is MatorSmash ready to be used like this? Last time I tried it for a whole load order it didn't work quite well.

It works fine for me; I'm using the latest version. I'm running 157 active plugins including patches, and my game is pretty stable. I actually stopped using a Bashed Patch.

What could cause Visual C++ errors? I'm getting CTDs from this regularly and some of them are repeatable. I read that Jiub's quest might be the culprit, but I haven't even started the Dawnguard questline.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 3, 2015

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
For what it's worth i have 199 mods working in perfect stability without crashes for hundreds of hours and i have never done any merging, ck tinkering (unless it's to fix a design flaw or bug) LOD generation or anything beyond using Mod Organizer.
It's fine if you can be arsed to do all that, but you don't need to if you are diligent about compatibility, spotting bad modders, bad mods and not removing mods mid playthrough in my opinion.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As I said, I'm doing LOD generation as part of making a mod. I did figure it out this morning though. :)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

As I said, I'm doing LOD generation as part of making a mod. I did figure it out this morning though. :)

Oooooohh i missed that, yeah, i've done that also many times. Really loving finicky process the way i learnt it, involving some programs i've forgotten the names of and extracting BSA's and etc, but it's been more than half a year now i think since i modded. How do you do it? No need to go into extreme detail of the process, i'm just curious if it's gotten easier, i might return to my projects then.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Sounds like you'd want some improved LODs more than anything else.

I'd suggest The Skyrim Distance Overhaul LOD Improvement, and SkyFalls and SkyMills - Animated Distant Waterfalls and WindMills.

Sorry for the late reply, but I hope this helps!

Everyone always recommends distance overhaul, but my problem with long-distance views is that the ground looks doughy and blurry with lots of obvious repeating textures and no foliage. None of the distance mods I find fix that play-dough and obvious repeating texture past 20 feet problem.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I had to actually start up Mod Organiser and look, I hope you realise.

Using this one, Relighting Skyrim: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17609/

Hasn't caused me any trouble but my mod list is relatively short.

edit: Actually I have Enhanced Lights and FX installed as well and apparently they're incompatible. Goddamn I have failed at the modding minigame.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 4, 2015

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo

HopperUK posted:

Actually I have Enhanced Lights and FX installed as well and apparently they're incompatible. Goddamn I have failed at the modding minigame.

The real joke in your post is that you think modding is the minigame.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a weird glitch once where my mod organizer suddenly turned into this thing where a dragon was fighting a town with a bunch of romans. It only happened once but it was still wierd

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I decided to wipe my install because it was at the point where all the fiddling I'd done with it over the years would have proved difficult to manage, going to do a fresh install, install this new Perkus Maximums thing which seems to be a successor project to SkyRe (which I like a lot) and some small misc mods.

Does anyone have recommendations for visual improvements? I'm after something that changes lighting and colours a bit to make the world a bit more vibrant and varied, as well as a bit more high contrast in terms of lighting, darker dungeons and nights, bright days, that sort of thing. I've never really been able to find the sort of thing I'm looking for, and I can't do much with ENB shaders because they chug my computer. Anyone know of a good mod or set of mods that does that? Especially now I don't know if there's anything good come out in the last year or two.

Ideally I'm after something like the first three images in the visual mods section of the OP but I have no idea how to produce that effect.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 4, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Climates of Tamriel and Imaginator is what I use. Purity is now free, but I've been busy with the CK so I haven't had much time to play with it.

Dongattack: I used oscape, I just figured out what I was doing wrong.

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo
For those of you who use the aMidianBorn texture pack, There's landscapes now.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Is there a reason to choose a ENB preset that supports a higher version of ENB? Better performance?
I see it's currently at 0.269 but there's no presets for it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'd be interested to see what Purity does (or doesn't)

also I'm looking for a visual/mesh mod for arrows. Is there one out there that makes arrows longer (so they don't clip into the bow, because that is dumb) and/or lets me pick one quiver type for all arrows? Hopefully something simple like steel - I don't want a quiver that can double as a surfboard.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Psion posted:

I ditched Climates of Tamriel for Pure Weather basically as soon as I had that option, and never looked back. It's more of a lightweight approach to weather, and doesn't run into all the compatibility problems that CoT always did. It makes the sky look spectacular pretty much all the time.

Purity is essentially the newest version of Pure Weather. It also includes his water mod Pure Waters, which I was using anyway, so that's a bonus. Again, it's a fairly minimal water mod but it looks great.

Now that Purity is free, I definitely recommend it. I am of the opinion that Laast does great work, but it's kind of a matter of preference. You can always look up old videos of Pure Weather / Pure Waters to see what those looked like to begin with.

quote:

also I'm looking for a visual/mesh mod for arrows. Is there one out there that makes arrows longer (so they don't clip into the bow, because that is dumb) and/or lets me pick one quiver type for all arrows? Hopefully something simple like steel - I don't want a quiver that can double as a surfboard.

There are a few good arrow mesh mods but this is probably what you're looking for. I don't know about the quiver thing, but you could always just pick out a mesh you like and copy it over all the ones you don't like.

edit: D'OH! sorry I messed up the link.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psion posted:

There is a mod called Nock to Tip which remodels all the arrows, but it also does other things to bows, I'm not sure if you can just use the models?

• Locked thread