Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
drat. $40 is steep for a season pass, and that's coming from someone who shelled out for the Origins one. Arkham Knight is a day one purchase for sure, but I'm holding off on the season pass until it's at least $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

No, but neither should it derail this thread. There used to be a minority opinions on gaming thread. Is that still a thing?

That was closed a long time ago apparently, because people got upset in it(?)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Shouldn't this level of analysis be reserved for entertainment products that aren't, as a rule, on par with C-movies when it comes to the writing?
Anything and everything should be criticized, especially if people insist that video games are art. But that's an entire rabbit hole not worth jumping down mostly because no one on SA (and probably not even the Debate & Discussion board) will ever want to talk about it or take seriously. Phylodox is right, it's not worth the effort.

Phylodox posted:

No, but neither should it derail this thread. There used to be a minority opinions on gaming thread. Is that still a thing?
I think it died. Any and all GG related stuff got locked except as a cesspit thread in GBS where, well, it's GBS. It's a fairly serious issue and no one on SA will ever take it seriously, or at least it'll get drowned out by :effort: shitposters right quick.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'll probably grab this for 28ish bucks from Nuuvem, and wait on the season pass till we actually know the content.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, I can get this and Mortal Kombat X off of Nuuvem for the price of one of them. Very, very tempted.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

What was so bad about Catwoman in Arkham City? I admit I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the plot/dialogue (both pretty bad iirc, but that's par the course for games), but nothing stood out as being especially offensive.

Her dialogue, the way thugs reacted to her (calling her a bitch almost every single line), the slide she did where she bends over backwards just so you can see her cleavage, the sultry tone of voice she uses even when it's just a mental monologue, the way many of her combat moves are unnecessarily sexualized, etc etc

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

CuwiKhons posted:

Her dialogue, the way thugs reacted to her (calling her a bitch almost every single line), the slide she did where she bends over backwards just so you can see her cleavage, the sultry tone of voice she uses even when it's just a mental monologue, the way many of her combat moves are unnecessarily sexualized, etc etc

You also get the sense that the Catwoman stuff, by and large, wasn't written by Paul Dini, who wrote the broader story and character dialog for Asylum and City. In one of Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman episodes, he talked about fighting Rocksteady on the language (like goons calling her a bitch) and Rocksteady pushing back with the rationale that they were doing a darker take on Batman. Dini's position was that things like rape threats were "really outside Batman's world" because you're still dealing with people running around in costumes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Got the Red Hood figure from Arkham Collectibles, great stuff

Although I hope the in game model doesn't have the "muzzle" the figure has

It looks loving stupid.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sober posted:

I think it died. Any and all GG related stuff got locked except as a cesspit thread in GBS where, well, it's GBS. It's a fairly serious issue and no one on SA will ever take it seriously, or at least it'll get drowned out by :effort: shitposters right quick.

If you really wanted to, you could ask a d&d mod about putting up another minority perspectives thread but in that subforum. The tone there is much more discussion oriented, for whatever else d&d is. Even though such a thread would seem more topical in games this really isn't the forum for serious ruminating about social issues in consumable media in microcosm either. You'd need a pretty good OP for bringing bideo gaimez poo poo in there tho.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

hard counter posted:

If you really wanted to, you could ask a d&d mod about putting up another minority perspectives thread but in that subforum. The tone there is much more discussion oriented, for whatever else d&d is. Even though such a thread would seem more topical in games this really isn't the forum for serious ruminating about social issues in consumable media in microcosm either. You'd need a pretty good OP for bringing bideo gaimez poo poo in there tho.

As a minority poster who kind of liked that thread, I don't think a thread like that would thrive anywhere on SA. There are way too many insincere posters that would do their hardest to try to disrupt discussion and basically be an rear end, even in D & D which has its own fair share of trolls.

On another note, Paul Dini must not have did the Assault on Arkham movie, because that movie was terrible.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Heath Corson wrote Assault on Arkham. Paul Dini was uninvolved.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
What kind of balls do you have to have to charge $40 for a season pass after Harley Quinn's Revenge took like 20 minutes to beat and was lovely on top of that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think Warner Bros is trying to see how far they can go with this.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

Not buying anything until they do a GOTY edition or whatever but I just got an email from Nuuvem and the base-game pre-order is $27.22 over there. So if you pre-ordered on Steam, just cancel and get it from Nuuvem. Didn't look to see if they have the SP available but that'll likely be cheaper when it hits their store too.

And before anyone asks, yes, Nuuvem is legit.

EDIT: And to pre-emptively help anyone out that's never used Nuuvem before, you'll want to use a Chrome plug-in called Hola Better Internet and set your region to Argentina.

Quick question about this here. You get a steam key that can be redeemed for a North American version of the game, correct? Couldn't find much on the site, but it's a really good deal and I didn't want to get stuck with a Portuguese translation of the game or something.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

So what exclusive content am I going to miss this time by not having a console? I know about the Scarecrow Nightmare DLC, but is there anything else?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Canemacar posted:

Quick question about this here. You get a steam key that can be redeemed for a North American version of the game, correct? Couldn't find much on the site, but it's a really good deal and I didn't want to get stuck with a Portuguese translation of the game or something.

I got Shadow of Mordor from Nuuvem and it was definitely a Steam key and definitely an English copy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kurtofan posted:

I think Warner Bros is trying to see how far they can go with this.

Yeah, keep in mind the Warner Bros. $100+ game -> $40 GOTY version with everything included is around 8 months. Just wait it out.

I ain't buyin' no 100 dollar Batman.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I've got nothing against collectathons in games. I like Banjo-Kazooie a lot. I can grind out parts in Monster Hunter. I got all of Riddler's trophies in Asylum and City... You know what those games do that Arkham Origins doesn't? They make sure that the things you need to collect are loving possible to collect!

Going through and getting Riddler's Data Packs. It keeps telling me I've missed one, but I haven't. It's in the northernmost part of the city, one where you stand on a switch then hit two wall switches while gliding. The data pack is at the bottom. I collected that way early on, but didn't notice until later that the map marker still shows it as active. Not only that, but it's greyed out in the Extortion File menu, meaning the game didn't register me having picked it up at all. So unless there's a second data pack right on top of that one somewhere and I just haven't seen it, or there's a way to fix this, I get to redo the whole collection on NG+ (or I Am the Night) and pray it doesn't bug out again!

I rented Origins right at release and it was a buggy mess then. I was hoping that it had at least been fixed to the point where the 200 or whatever things you need to collect actually register so you don't have to completely god drat restart! This is some bullshit right here.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Origins had some retardedly hard things to get, platform wise, but I don't recall ever having one bug out for me. The worst bug I had was the delete saves one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ChibiSoma posted:

You know, I've got nothing against collectathons in games. I like Banjo-Kazooie a lot. I can grind out parts in Monster Hunter. I got all of Riddler's trophies in Asylum and City... You know what those games do that Arkham Origins doesn't? They make sure that the things you need to collect are loving possible to collect!

Going through and getting Riddler's Data Packs. It keeps telling me I've missed one, but I haven't. It's in the northernmost part of the city, one where you stand on a switch then hit two wall switches while gliding. The data pack is at the bottom. I collected that way early on, but didn't notice until later that the map marker still shows it as active. Not only that, but it's greyed out in the Extortion File menu, meaning the game didn't register me having picked it up at all. So unless there's a second data pack right on top of that one somewhere and I just haven't seen it, or there's a way to fix this, I get to redo the whole collection on NG+ (or I Am the Night) and pray it doesn't bug out again!

I rented Origins right at release and it was a buggy mess then. I was hoping that it had at least been fixed to the point where the 200 or whatever things you need to collect actually register so you don't have to completely god drat restart! This is some bullshit right here.

There's a second trophy immediately abo- wait, this is ChibiSoma. Never mind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a second trophy immediately abo- wait, this is ChibiSoma. Never mind.

You are wise, grasshopper.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Couldn't find a better link than Facebook yet but they just announced a ton of DLC including playable Batgirl. :stare:

https://www.facebook.com/BatmanArkham/posts/969906649708494:0

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Barbara Batgirl? I thought she was pretty clearly wheelchair-bound Oracle in the Arkham series.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Phylodox posted:

Barbara Batgirl? I thought she was pretty clearly wheelchair-bound Oracle in the Arkham series.

They did mention that Batgirl's story is a prequel, so it's possible it could be Barbra.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

quote:

Batgirl: A Matter of Family
An all new prequel story expansion in an entirely new location where you play as Batgirl for the very first time in the Arkham series - check out the first render of Batgirl.

The Season of Infamy
Play as Batman in all new story missions featuring legendary super-villains invading Gotham City, with new story arcs, missions and gameplay features.

Gotham City Stories
Play as Batman’s key allies in narrative missions extending their storylines, from both before and after the events in Batman: Arkham Knight.

Legendary Batmobiles with Themed Tracks
Drive the most iconic Batmobiles from Batman’s 75-year history, on custom-built race tracks, each themed to that Batmobile’s specific era. Every Batmobile will be drivable across every race track.

Crimefighter Challenge Maps
Engage in a series of new challenge maps utilizing the unique play styles of Batman and his allies.

Character Skins
A variety of skins from across the eras for Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is Barbara, you can see the red hair on the render. Is amusing that while every other character recieved a new suit for the game, they only used the N52 version for Babs.

What about the Red Hood DLC, Rocksteady? When I be able to buy it?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Curious if Red Hood ends up under Gotham City Stories in the Season Pass or if it will just remain a Gamestop exclusive. I don't really want to miss out on it but like hell am I going to preorder from Gamestop when preordering from Best Buy saves me $10.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
If Red Hood truly ends up being GS exclusive, I am going to be pretty pissed.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can't wait to relive Barbara getting Shot by the Joker. I think they've depicted that in media more than Bruce Wayne's parents,

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If anyone's interested

The premium version of the game has a whooping discount of ten bucks on the PSN until june 22

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Is the premium version the something I can pick up at gamestop? Walmart lists a Batman Special Edition for 100 bucks that comes with a statue and the season pass+ art books and stuff.

I'm not interested in getting it digitally since the season pass is going to take up a TB worth of space anyway.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Still not entirely sold but at least it's a step in the right direction.

if they're gonna add playable characters and they won't be playable in the open world though... I sure hoped they learned from AC.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I kind of see the problem where Batman has the bat mobile and everyone else has no way getting around the city considering it's so big now in every way possible. Catwoman couldn't make the jumps up the skyscrapers and I can't imagine Nightwing gliding down to the streets.

If anything I hope you can just call them on your Bat-Cellphone when you need them for a fight or a Riddler Puzzle, then they do your own thing when you move away from the area.

Edit: Then again it's not like the batmobile isn't a two seater

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I kind of see the problem where Batman has the bat mobile and everyone else has no way getting around the city considering it's so big now in every way possible. Catwoman couldn't make the jumps up the skyscrapers and I can't imagine Nightwing gliding down to the streets.

If anything I hope you can just call them on your Bat-Cellphone when you need them for a fight or a Riddler Puzzle, then they do your own thing when you move away from the area.

Edit: Then again it's not like the batmobile isn't a two seater

BatBus. Batcarpool. BatHOV-Lane.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I didn't really mind slumming it with Catwoman in AC.

Also I beat hard difficulty, side missions and all in AC without using the grapnel boost. It's just a matter of knowing where to go, where to grapple to jump/glide off of, etc. I think just running along and navigating the rooftops is much cooler than gliding forever.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Sober posted:

I didn't really mind slumming it with Catwoman in AC.

Also I beat hard difficulty, side missions and all in AC without using the grapnel boost. It's just a matter of knowing where to go, where to grapple to jump/glide off of, etc. I think just running along and navigating the rooftops is much cooler than gliding forever.

I think that's fine too if they could loosen up the jumping stuff but they'd have to seriously rework stuff just because of the vastness of the environment now, looking at screenshots , jumping up a building could take like a miniute.

Well anyway, we're having story content with playable Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Jason Todd.
Literally the only thing that I wanted from this game that they won't deliver on is Cassandra Cain Batgirl and a Green Arrow sidemission

Thought he'd be perfect to meet up in Gotham chasing after some goon

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So they're looking at something like $40 of DLC for the season pass? That seems pretty junky.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I have never bought Arkham DLC and I might be interested in extra story missions, but there still isn't any sort of indication of how much content there really is in that extra stuff.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Proposition Joe posted:

I have never bought Arkham DLC and I might be interested in extra story missions, but there still isn't any sort of indication of how much content there really is in that extra stuff.

Wait until it comes out then and someone does a review. "Exclusive" DLC is never really exclusive unless it's the stupid poo poo like console only costumes in Origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Couldn't find a better link than Facebook yet but they just announced a ton of DLC including playable Batgirl. :stare:

https://www.facebook.com/BatmanArkham/posts/969906649708494:0

They actually did it!

ToastyPotato posted:

DLC Information

This game. :supaburn:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 3, 2015

• Locked thread