Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

I think people are forgetting that the reason graduates leave is that there is literally nothing for the hear in the first place. But hey costly debt collection is way easier than providing a society and economy that has a place for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

trunkh posted:

I think people are forgetting that the reason graduates leave is that there is literally nothing for the hear in the first place. But hey costly debt collection is way easier than providing a society and economy that has a place for them.

It's a two for one deal, you go to another country where you can get a job and as an added bonus you get out of paying HECS.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
IMO the government should take Israel's approach and send spies around the world to abduct hecs criminals and bring them to justice in Australia.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

gay picnic defence posted:

Are the property taxes introduced in Victoria and the crackdown on illegal property purchases likely to cool the housing market much? Seems like they could in theory by encouraging new construction and putting a number of extra houses back on the market but I don't know enough about real estate to know if there are other factors that will come into play.

no. it's a useless initiative designed to pin the housing bubble on the yellow peril instead of the anointed generation

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Negligent posted:

Just add a box on the incoming passenger card: do you have a hecs debt y/n?

How many people would be prepared to never come back to Australia just to ditch their hecs?

Yeah because people would never ever choose the wrong box on purpose and then just get let in.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

gay picnic defence posted:

Are the property taxes introduced in Victoria and the crackdown on illegal property purchases likely to cool the housing market much? Seems like they could in theory by encouraging new construction and putting a number of extra houses back on the market but I don't know enough about real estate to know if there are other factors that will come into play.

No. There's too much money involved for Real Estate agents and others in the industry - everyone is ALREADY breaking the rules and didn't know or didn't care. It's a way for the Tony Abbott to appear to be doing something about house prices, without impacting house prices, against a group of people that no voters care about (foreign buyers), without actually doing anything to lower house prices or impact negative gearing.

They are increasing the costs for a crime no one has been prosecuted for, or mealy adding a small bribe cost to continue to do so.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Negligent posted:

How many people would be prepared to never come back to Australia just to ditch their hecs?

If the government wants to give me back my hecs and then ask me to leave I'm totally okay with that.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

quote:

Progress15 has collected busloads of Leftist speakers for a conference in Melbourne of “changemakers” to fight for “progress” on global warming, boat people and the usual roll-call of Leftist causes.

Speakers include traitor Edward Snowden, Greens leader Christine Milne, anti-nuclear hysteric Helen Caldicott, warming alarmist Will Steffen, Greenpeace exec David Ritter, GetUp head Sam McLean, Greens slimer Scott Ludlam, ACTU president Ged Kearney, Friends of the Earth veteran Cam Walker, celebrity Muslims Susan Carland and Yassmin Abdel-Magied, “stolen generations” propagandist Robert Manne, Earth Hour manager Anna Rose, writer Naomi Klein, celebrity “human rights"extremist Julian Burnside, domestic violence campaigner and Greens supporter Rosie Battie, euthanasia for “defective infants” advocate Peter Singer, and dozens more representatives from global warming industries, Aboriginal bureaucracies, “awareness” campaigns, academia, Islam, Labor, the Greens and the media.

The roll call of speakers is vast, and raises some questions:
Why does it include SBS newsreader and current affairs presenter Lee Lin Chin? Shouldn’t SBS at least pretend it isn’t yet another taxpayer-funded soap box hijacked by the far Left?
Why Is John Hewson, also one of the speakers, still presented by media organisations such as Sky News as a representative of the conservative side of debates? Why does Hewson almost never declare when commenting on global warming what he declares here - that he is in fact chairman of the Asset Owners Disclosure Project, a green financial advisory group advising on global warming that earns money from the scare.

Who is actually paying for this vast network of green and Left groups? How much taxpayers’ money is involved in keeping so many activists in work?

How many of these people are paid more than Catholic priests to preach on being nice to people and the planet? Is being a Leftist activist a good earn?

How on earth do we still get conservative governments elected when there is this immensity of Leftist lobbyists, activists, journalists, unionists and mobilisers, unmatched by anything on the conservative side, where individualism is prized above collectivism?

How many Australians do this army of Leftist representatives truly represent?

Don’t these people get bored with endlessly agreeing with each other at conferences designed not to promote debate but avoid it?

And note how strongly global warming features, confirming it is just the latest vehicle for the Left’s authoritarians and salvation seekers.

(Thanks to reader Don.)

Bolt from the blue

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Australia actually already has treaties in place with multiple other countries in regards to sharing of taxation information (see: http://www.treasury.gov.au/Policy-Topics/Taxation/Tax-Treaties/HTML/Income-Tax-Treaties and http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/itaa1953299/) but I"m not sure exactly what recourse is available to the Australian Government aside from sending you demanding letters and arresting you for tax evasion if you were to ever re-enter Australia. They could change the treaties to allow overseas enforcement, but that'd require having multiple countries agree to enforce HECS repayments for the Australian Government.

I doubt it'd bring in the $140mil to the budget Pyne says it will, but even if they do manage to start collecting that much from graduates who've relocated overseas it isn't going to budget, but instead is being used to pay off the HECS debt (which the Government, I believe, has down as an asset). Instead of going after tax evading multinationals, they'll portray those evil graduate leeches who dared to abandon mother Australia. Lets just ignore the fact that there's very little to hold graduates here in the first place and not give them incentive to actually want to stay and work here.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 3, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
When a court order is made against you in relation to a debt one of the things that can happen is that your income gets taken. Either your employer pays directly against your debt, or any investments you have, whatever, a proportion gets taken.

Could most easily be applied if for example you work for a multinational that does business in Australia.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Bolt from the blue

That's hilarious. How low do you have to sink before you start demonising domestic violence campaigners? Jesus Christ.

And LOL at :siren: ACADEMIA :siren:. Why bother to research or study anything when you just just pull opinions out of your rear end?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm the “human rights"extremist.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

quote:

domestic violence campaigner and Greens supporter Rosie Battie

Haha, classic Bolt.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
GDI Tink, you missed a prime pun opportunity.

It should be Auspol May: First Dog on the Goon

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Neither of those things are in themselves pejorative it's just that Andrew Bolt knows his audience.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
"Domestic violence is good, actually" - Andy Bolt

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
loving radical leftists with their loving anti domestic violence agenda

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

domestic violence campaigner is just a euphemism for hysterical feminist

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Negligent posted:

When a court order is made against you in relation to a debt one of the things that can happen is that your income gets taken. Either your employer pays directly against your debt, or any investments you have, whatever, a proportion gets taken.

Could most easily be applied if for example you work for a multinational that does business in Australia.

To be honest, they wouldn't bother doing that. They'd change legislation to make it so that not repaying HECS while overseas and earning over the $53k per annum mark would be a form of tax evasion, in which place Australia does have the ability to recover monies via some nations taxation systems. Failing that they could then have you extradited for tax evasion, or simply arrest you on return to Australia. The irony of this is that it'd likely cost a lot more in government monies to chase this up then they'd actually recover, similar to how the ATO says charging GST on goods costing <$1000 purchased overseas is a waste of time.

In the end, the monies recovered aren't going to the budget regardless and even if you have to repay HECS while working overseas, it's still, for most graduates, a far better alternative than trying to scrounge up work in Australia.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The irony is parliamentarians who went to uni on Whitlam's dime getting pissy about people who at best are getting the same deal they got.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Negligent posted:

The irony is parliamentarians who went to uni on Whitlam's dime getting pissy about people who at best are getting the same deal they got.

"I rallied and protested against a $250 fee for my degree, but my kids and their kids can pay $50-100k for theirs." - Joe Hockey

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
i'm a human rights extremist

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I would legit pay money to see Lee Lin Chin fight Andrew Bolt

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm a radical warmist, check my sick ollies

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

"I rallied and protested against a $250 fee for my degree, but my kids and their kids can pay $50-100k for theirs." - Joe Hockey

The Hockey children will not pay a single cent for their future education

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

The irony of this is that it'd likely cost a lot more in government monies to chase this up then they'd actually recover, similar to how the ATO says charging GST on goods costing <$1000 purchased overseas is a waste of time.

Not if you start treating it like a debt recovery service. Start throwing on some fees and increase the interest rate for breaching the terms of the loan, and you've got yourselves a perpetual money tap. Nothing that a bit of legislation couldn't fix, and then who's going to take them to court to test the legality of the changes?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Drugs posted:

The Hockey children will not pay a single cent for their future education

What about their movie tickets?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Negligent posted:

domestic violence campaigner is just a euphemism for hysterical feminist

Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it’s not necessarily everyone’s place to not be brutally beaten by their spouse.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Tokamak posted:

Not if you start treating it like a debt recovery service. Start throwing on some fees and increase the interest rate for breaching the terms of the loan, and you've got yourselves a perpetual money tap. Nothing that a bit of legislation couldn't fix, and then who's going to take them to court to test the legality of the changes?

Then we end up with a US style of student debt system in place, likely those kind of changes wouldn't pass the current senate. Given the amount of luck Pyne has had in there, he'd end up watering the act down to make it as effective as wet cardboard.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Education is bad, it just leads to alarmist views.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Bolt from the blue

I'm genuinely surprised he went so easy on Naomi Klein, even going so far to acknowledge her as a writer. Then again, she is a writer, so he is probably unfamiliar with her work.

I can't believe there isn't some cartoon of that Bolt dog from that Disney movie taking a poo poo to use in place of any of his article postings.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 3, 2015

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I really don't think the poo is necessary.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Gorilla Salad posted:

Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it’s not necessarily everyone’s place to not be brutally beaten by their spouse.

If Jesus was known for one thing it was his firm belief of everyone adhering to their designated place in society.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm actually finding it hard to locate biblical support for "Jesus knew that there was a place for everything." Most of that sort of stuff is in the Old Testiment. http://biblehub.com/colossians/1-17.htm Colossians has this but it's not a very clear statement of NTATA's claim.

I did however find this:

http://tonyandponies.tumblr.com/

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
“I don’t think it’s a very Christian thing to come in by the back door rather than the front door.”

e; some of the quotes on there either aren't real or Tony Abbott is a worse person that I thought, and I thought he was a pretty loving lovely person

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Murodese posted:

“I don’t think it’s a very Christian thing to come in by the back door rather than the front door.”

e; some of the quotes on there either aren't real or Tony Abbott is a worse person that I thought, and I thought he was a pretty loving lovely person

Every quote on there I bothered to check was real, or (in the case of a few off-the-record remarks) was reported by a big-name media organisation.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Tokamak posted:

Although it's a US citizen thing only have you guys ever discussed FATCA?

Don't bother waiting for a tax return, just clip the ticket at the source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Account_Tax_Compliance_Act

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cartoon posted:

I really don't think the poo is necessary.

Didn't pick you for a NIMBY

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://ipa.org.au/library/publication/1257034755_document_091030_-_paper_-_palm_oil.pdf

Deliberately reducing consumption of palm oil is not going address the primary reasons behind the
declining orang-utan population, but it will definitely harm one of their closest cousins in the area –
poor farmers and their communities.

Racist

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Murodese posted:

I dunno, there seems to be plenty of christian legislators in the US who love entering by the back door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Bolt from the blue

Since when did the campaign against domestic violence become an issue solely of the Left?

Not your best work Bolt.

• Locked thread