Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wait. I've never seen Tintin in the Land of the Soviets anywhere, but I've read Tintin in the Congo in a bookstore.

Why is it that the former's never been republished, whereas the latter has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Was there a legal definition of what exactly the current conflict was? Did the contemporaries see the 30YW as one giant thing, or are the conflicts against the Bohemians, Frederick V, Danes, Swedes, French, and Miscellaneous recognized as separate things? Does everybody stop caring about the difference two years in?
They seemed to see it as one giant thing at the time, whose subparts were related to one another (the Swedish thing piggybacked onto the Danish thing, for instance). People started calling it some version of "the Thirty Years' War" really early on.

Edit: Also, the treaties that ended it referred to all the parties of the conflict, so in a legal sense they definitely think it's one large thing (except for Saxony versus the HRE, since they switched sides again in 1635 and made a peace with the Emperor in the Peace of Prague. Since Saxony's the most important Protestant state, most of the rest of them went with it. That didn't stop the war, though).

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 2, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah I don't know, I think I confused the three vampire ladies or his visiting of the one girl nightly to drink her blood.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Phobophilia posted:

I basically can't stand long running superhero comics and am only interested in them in an archaeological sense. As in, "oh ho ho ho, what did those wacky 50s era Americans enjoy?".

For instance, I've read Iron Man #1, and it's is virulently racist.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

HEY GAL posted:

They seemed to see it as one giant thing at the time, whose subparts were related to one another (the Swedish thing piggybacked onto the Danish thing, for instance). People started calling it some version of "the Thirty Years' War" really early on.

Edit: Also, the treaties that ended it referred to all the parties of the conflict, so in a legal sense they definitely think it's one large thing (except for Saxony versus the HRE, since they switched sides again in 1635 and made a peace with the Emperor in the Peace of Prague. Since Saxony's the most important Protestant state, most of the rest of them went with it. That didn't stop the war, though).

Any examples of a guy joining a regiment, having kids and fighting side by side with his kid(s) because the war just wouldn't loving end?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Trin Tragula posted:

The Ottomans take the offensive on Gallipoli, to no great effect

Not a WWI specific question, but when a military commander (from any period) drew up some plans to smash the other side's poo poo in, how would they factor in possible casualties? How can you reasonably estimate how many of your dudes are going to go down in the fracas?

I can't imagine it not being an issue, but can't picture how it would be dealt with, especially with longer term strategic planning.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

American.jpg

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nuclear War posted:

Any examples of a guy joining a regiment, having kids and fighting side by side with his kid(s) because the war just wouldn't loving end?
On the elite level, there's tons of those people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernesto_Montecuccoli
is the uncle of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raimondo_Montecuccoli

At least two out of three of Ottavio Piccolomini's children died either in combat or in a war-related context:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottavio_Piccolomini#Death_and_legacy

On the plebeian level, things were probably similar:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

That's not actually Iron Man, it's an entirely weirder superhero called T-Man. For Treasury Man. Because that's what the US Treasury needed, a secret agent.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

MarsDragon posted:

That's not actually Iron Man, it's an entirely weirder superhero called T-Man. For Treasury Man. Because that's what the US Treasury needed, a secret agent.

That is literally what the Secret Service is, though?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MarsDragon posted:

Until fairly recently, the Secret Service was under the Treasury Department, so it's not that weird.

It's original function was to use agents posing as vendors to sniff out corruption and fraud in government procurement during the Civil War. It took on the task of protecting Presidents later.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Phobophilia posted:

Wait. I've never seen Tintin in the Land of the Soviets anywhere, but I've read Tintin in the Congo in a bookstore.

Why is it that the former's never been republished, whereas the latter has?

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets has been re-released a couple of times, last time in 1999 for the 70th anniversary.

It was commissioned by a belgian newspaper specifically as anti-communist propaganda and Hergé ended up more or less disowning it. Once he started re-doing/re-drawing and colouring his newspaper strips he decided to leave it out because he didn't like it. He also admitted that he did very little research on Soviet Russia.

Of course, the fact that his re-drawing and colouring took place in 1942 could go some way to explain why he decided against including the hideously anti-communist work.

Then again, Tintin in the Congo also ended up being changed upon re-release so that Tintin didn't literally blow up a rhino with a dynamite.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's barely more ridiculous than what some of the less sane big game hunters did.

100 Years Ago

My mission to ignore the Eastern Front for as long as possible comes to a screeching halt with the opening of the Gorlice-Tarnow Offensive, which is far too big and important to be ignored. The retreat to the GHQ Line is nearly complete, and a large helping of ANZACs give their lives to a fight that shows some signs of original thinking, but sadly also an overdose of optimism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Urk.

I just bought To End All Wars on Steam and naturally the first things I checked is the Royal Navy forces in the 1914 scenario. Oh dear God they've gotten a bunch of things messed up. Not with the actual forces, but a bunch of the admirals have bizarre attributes. William Goodenough, a model cruiser squadron commander who did Beatty's job for him at Jutland gets a -2 penalty to command abilities for no goddamned reason. Arbuthnot has a marker for recklessness but Beatty doesn't. Poor Troubridge of the Goeben chase is missing completely.

Still it isn't all bad: Fisher gets Defiant, Eccentric Strategist, and Superior Tactician. Sums up the man quite well.

Is there a level of wargame peeving beyond Grognard, because I think I'm well established there. Help me.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 3, 2015

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rage on their forums. You know you want to go full grog, do it

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Urk.

I just bought To End All Wars on Steam and naturally the first things I checked is the Royal Navy forces in the 1914 scenario. Oh dear God they've gotten a bunch of things messed up. Not with the actual forces, but a bunch of the admirals have bizarre attributes. William Goodenough, a model cruiser squadron commander who did Beatty's job for him at Jutland gets a -2 penalty to command abilities for no goddamned reason. Arbuthnot has a marker for recklessness but Beatty doesn't. Poor Troubridge of the Goeben chase is missing completely.

Still it isn't all bad: Fisher gets Defiant, Eccentric Strategist, and Superior Tactician. Sums up the man quite well.

Is there a level of wargame peeving beyond Grognard, because I think I'm well established there. Help me.

I got real mad when I realized that HoI 3 gave Joseph Reeves Old Guard, because he looks old :eng99:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Urk.

i'll go you one better, i just found out that 1632 has a huge fan community. They write little serials. Ggh.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

i'll go you one better, i just found out that 1632 has a huge fan community. They write little serials. Ggh.

That's the one with some All-American Small Town™ that ends up in 17th century Europe, right?

*one :google: later*

Hmm, it's published by Baen Books of John Ringo and various prolefeed "military sci-fi" crapfests fame.

OK, dish on what's so specifically awful about 1632. I've never read it and I'm not going to.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 3, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Hmm, it's published by Baen Books of John Ringo and various prolefeed "military sci-fi" crapfests fame.

This one's written by a communist rather than a nazi though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

That's the one with some All-American Small Town™ that ends up in 17th century Europe, right?

*one :google: later*

OK, dish on what's so specifically awful about 1632. I've never read it and I'm not going to.
me neither, unless i'm payed to, but i heard they solve everyone's problems by their American Ingenuity And Grit, then ally with Sweden, because it's so progressive and amenable to 20th century American democracy.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

me neither, unless i'm payed to, but i heard they solve everyone's problems by their American Ingenuity And Grit, then ally with Sweden, because it's so progressive and amenable to 20th century American democracy.

Sweden? The "depopulate the country by conscripting every young man the army gets their hands on" Sweden?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

Sweden? The "depopulate the country by conscripting every young man the army gets their hands on" Sweden?

yes, that one

edit:

quote:

1632 And in northern Germany things couldn't get much worse. Famine. Disease. Religous war laying waste the cities. Only the aristocrats remained relatively unscathed; for the peasants, death was a mercy.
2000 Things are going OK in Grantville, West Virginia, and everybody attending the wedding of Mike Stearn's sister (including the entire local chapter of the United Mine Workers of America, which Mike leads) is having a good time.
THEN, EVERYTHING CHANGED....
When the dust settles, Mike leads a group of armed miners to find out what happened and finds the road into town is cut, as with a sword. On the other side, a scene out of Hell: a man nailed to a farmhouse door, his wife and daughter attacked by men in steel vests. Faced with this, Mike and his friends don't have to ask who to shoot. At that moment Freedom and Justice, American style, are introduced to the middle of the Thirty Years' War.

Comprehensive Teacher's Guide available.
lol

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 3, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HEY GAL posted:

yes, that one

edit:

lol

quote:

Comprehensive Teacher's Guide available.

1. Place 1632 in classroom wastebasket.
2. Resume lesson.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

yes, that one

edit:

lol

Sounds like something that historians should pass around at parties, seeing how long each person can read it without either laughing or spiking it against the wall like a football.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
which reminds me, in the world of actual history, yesterday i learned that vermouth or brandy was a popular breakfast drink for the officers who could afford it, and then they'd switch to wine or beer throughout the day

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

If someone wants to see how stupid it gets themselves, here you go.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Disclaimer: I used to read 1632 in high school and I'm something of a fan.

The primary flaw of 1632 (and it does have many) is optimism - enormous, exuberant, freewheeling optimism. The author is basically in love with the American Ideal of Freedom, Liberty, and Democracy, and is completely sure that once people have it explained to them (and maybe the hardcases knocked over the head a few times) they'll fall in love with it too and work to make a better world for everyone, even if they're Germans from the 17th century. And not just Germans, either - he's quite confident that as everyone in the 17th century starts reading about "the other history" and all the technological advantages available, the world will inevitably start becoming more American if only to try and compete with the new nation. He does go some way towards acknowledging that there's going to be friction - ethnic tensions between Americans and Germans, reactionary opposition parties arising in parliament, a divergence of interests between the German-American state and the Swedes, just to name a few, but he usually waves his hands and insists that such issues can generally be marginalized and controlled without too much difficulty or even cost.

That said, its primary flaw is also its saving grace. Cheery optimism and "I'm sure everything will work out all right if we just put our minds and shoulders to it!" may be ridiculously naive, but it's also refreshing and easy to read, and it is kind of nice to read a story written by someone who takes the Statue of Liberty's poem seriously and wants to see it live up to its promise. It's also tempered to an extent by the author's habit of taking on co-authors who tend to tamp down the excesses of his optimism (the first book was by far the worst for syrupy optimism), and the various co-authors provide different viewpoints and focuses that I honestly find pretty interesting - instead of focusing entirely on war and fancy new war-tech (though it does that quite a bit), there's often explorations on the economics, politics, and social aspects of what happens if you drop an American town into the middle of the 30 Years War and it DOESN'T get wiped out instantly. The anthologies HEY GAL mentioned are actually part of that - the quality of the stories is wildly suspect at best but do explore weird little side avenues of alt-history, both aspects of which are exemplified in a stupefyingly boring short story about the legalities of land ownership in 17th century Thuringia and how this affects American farmers seeking new land to till and German farmers seeking access to tractors.

Don't get me wrong, though, it is a flawed series with a lot of problems, especially historical ones*, but while it is a guilty pleasure it is a pleasure all the same. And if nothing else, it got me interested in the 30 Years' War to begin with.

*One major aspect that would probably drive HEY GAL insane - despite the series as a whole touching on a diverse cast of characters such as Wallenstein (who ends up running a more or less independent Bohemia), Cardinal-Infante Ferdinand (who carves out a constitutional monarchy in Holland), the Pope in Rome, Cardinal Richelieu, and Charles I, the series funnily enough almost entirely ignores, y'know, the Holy Roman Emperor. Despite being set primarily in the Holy Roman Empire. It's like he ceases entirely to exist after the Americans cause Gustav Adolf to go Super Saiyan.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

the legalities of land ownership in 17th century Thuringia
wait, now i'm interested

Edit: How does the series treat Wallenstein? Because I think he's a fascinating person and every now and then I want to make a big old effort post on him. He could itemize a shipment of supplies down to the last pair of shoes, in the middle of planning battles would busy himself with making sure the citizens of his territories lived in buildings that were up to his standards, kept all the details for raising and provisioning his huge armies in his head and carried all that out more or less on his own...and had not a clue how human emotions worked, with the single exception of the part where people seek reward and shun punishment.

He knew that he was making enemies though--his motto was Invita Invidia, In Spite Of Envy (Unwilling Envy?)

Edit 2: another great Wallenstein anecdote has him stalking the perimeter of his besieged camp on the Alte Veste, throwing coins into the laps of the wounded to encourage the others.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 3, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

wait, now i'm interested

Edit: How does the series treat Wallenstein? Because I think he's a fascinating person and every now and then I want to make a big old effort post on him. He could itemize a shipment of supplies down to the last pair of shoes, in the middle of planning battles would busy himself with making sure the citizens of his territories lived in buildings that were up to his standards, kept all the details for raising and provisioning his huge armies in his head and carried all that out more or less on his own...and had not a single clue how human emotions worked.

He knew that he was making enemies though--his motto was Invita Invidia, In Spite Of Envy (Unwilling Envy?)

Edit 2: another great Wallenstein anecdote has him stalking the perimeter of his besieged camp on the Alte Veste, throwing coins into the laps of the wounded to encourage the others.

Sadly, I don't know where exactly in the endless amount of Gazettes that story was, and Google isn't helping. Apparently there IS an essay about horse breeds of Germany in 1632 and the probable effects of mechanization on German agriculture in 1632, though!

As for Wallenstein, pretty mixed. In the first book he's one of the Big Bads and gets his jaw shot off by a sniper (and there's an author's note raining calumny on his name and mentioning that a more gruesome end had been cut out), but I guess a later co-author or something convinced him otherwise because he later goes on to read in the "modern" history books about his getting assassinated and basically tells the Emperor to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, couping Bohemia as his personal kingdom (allying with the Americans because he figures they're the winning side now - no hard feelings about the shot-off jaw you'll note) and turning it into a realm of religious freedom and toleration for all - especially the Jews. He's also depicted as highly superstitious and into astrology, though, plus something of a hypochondriac. Overall, once you get past the first book, sort of an clever, eccentric pragmatist.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

clever, eccentric pragmatist.
oh, well that's about right then

Edit: And this is the guy who kept kind of trying to make peace with the Swedes in 29/30 because a war involving Sweden was bad for the Baltic trading networks, I doubt he would have taken a shot-off jaw too personally, especially if money was involved

Edit 2: The hypochondria is inaccurate, he actually was pretty sick. The superstition and astrology is debated, but everyone was into that poo poo then. The religious toleration is true--he doesn't care what, if anything, you believe or whether or not you're fresh from service with one of his enemies, if you're good at your job he'll let you stick around.

Edit 3: Whether because of his health problems or just because he was kinda weird, he took baths frequently in water infused with sandalwood and rosemary. So we know what he would have smelled like. just thought i'd mention that

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 3, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hmm, I remember reading a book where dimensionally ported Americans team up with timelost Russian peasants to fight off intelligent velociraptors. I think I'll stick with that.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I think Tomn covered it best, but two additional bits:

- There's a plot thread in one of the later books where the Americans run into a band of peasants running around guerillaing stray mercenary bands with a bunch of weaponry they had accumulated over the decades. The Americans initially assume that they've been inspired by the glorious light of freedom, before the peasants set them straight by rattling off all the various peasant revolts their fathers/grandfathers/extended family fought and died in. I think there's some line along the lines of 'the only thing your future history has taught us is that when we do win, make sure we don't get tricked by a bunch of bourgoise scum.'

- Much later in the series (Swedish hijinks): Oxenstierna and Baner try to murder-coup Gustav Adolph and poo poo hits the fan.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
It's so easy to mock the 1632 series (I dunno, I kinda liked the story about land ownership in Thuringia...I'm weird tho), but I get why people do.

It is bad, seen in a broader context than alt-hist. It really is. But let's be brutally honest, most alt-history stories are bad. At least it's not as terrible as Turtledove.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I am bad because I unironically enjoy turtledove and I feel bad about that fact. :smithicide:

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Not bad, Klaus88. You just have terrible taste in alt-history authors.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Tomn posted:

*One major aspect that would probably drive HEY GAL insane - despite the series as a whole touching on a diverse cast of characters such as Wallenstein (who ends up running a more or less independent Bohemia), Cardinal-Infante Ferdinand (who carves out a constitutional monarchy in Holland), the Pope in Rome, Cardinal Richelieu, and Charles I, the series funnily enough almost entirely ignores, y'know, the Holy Roman Emperor. Despite being set primarily in the Holy Roman Empire. It's like he ceases entirely to exist after the Americans cause Gustav Adolf to go Super Saiyan.
iirc he dies and his successor, having read the history books and realizing that Germany is an absolute clusterfuck of war where no-one's listening to him anyways, tries to reform the Hapsburg lands into Austria-Hungary, starts suing for peace because he's basically just given up, and then spends an absurd amount of money to get one of the few sportscars that the Americans have smuggled into Vienna.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Further discussion of alt-history books should probably go into the alt-history thread,, like God intended.

So back onto the subject of history, I've been slowly and painfully making my way through a history of the 30 Years' War, and at one point the Swedes are noted to have "captured 5,000 uniforms." This seems like a bit of a mixed blessing? On one hand, free clothes is pretty great I imagine and would have done a lot for morale, but on the other hand I had the impression that half the point of uniforms is to make sure you know who you can shoot and who you can't - wearing enemy uniforms, however comfortable, seems to defeat the purpose somewhat. Is there something I'm missing here, or is it purely a matter of expediency based on existing clothes getting completely worn out?

Actually, for that matter, do we have any idea what the soldiers on the ground of the early modern era thought about uniforms? Liked because "hey, free clothes!", recognized for its tactical benefits, disliked because they're shittily made, disliked because they got in the way of individual stylistic preferences?

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
In an era when everybody fights in large formations and uniforms aren't really standardized I'd imagine that you identify friendly or enemy units by what flags they happen to be waving.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Well, it's not like the uniforms are the only sign showing what side you're on. During the 30YW you'd have regimental colors as well and with the fairly compact formations it's not likely for a guy to find himself face to face with another guy in the powder haze, separated from all the others, trying to figure out if they're on the same side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Not to mention that in the days before actual industrial manufacture, clothes and cloth were expensive as poo poo.

• Locked thread