Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuru
Oct 10, 2012

He doesn't realize he's in a strip mall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Well if that doesn't work out he'll just fall onto his sure-fire no-fail plan B: Dream Dinners

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So much for that.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh, and 'we won't even -have- a freezer!' was spoken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAfgbsRs_lo

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
My mulberry tree is in full on "poo poo fruit every where!" Mode so I went up the ladder and on to the roof and collected a bunch of them from the tree.... Now what to do with them.

I guess I should say this tree is about 40 feet tall with a trunk 2 feet across easy. It's the biggest one in our yards and is loving prolific.

Tonight I will find out if mulberries are good with pork belly, lamb and a myriad of other meats.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yes, yes, and yeah almost everything. As in, I can't think of anything meatwise mulberry's not good with; try it with smoked salmon for example. Lot of time spent straining it unless you have a centrifuge, though. Also, jesus christ, 40 feet tall and 2 feet thick? loving it's_all_bigger.txs, in Pennsylvania we had a 15 footer in the yard with a trunk about as thick as a baseball bat and that was "pretty big".

Liquid Communism posted:

The insanity has passed. Went and walked the place out of curiosity, chatted with the owner a bit. He's... well, let's just say he's not going to be in this business long, I fear. Small town decorator who's been working out of his house putting six digits into remodeling a strip mall location into a full service bakery.

Aw, a sad ending. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Splizwarf posted:

Yes, yes, and yeah almost everything. As in, I can't think of anything meatwise mulberry's not good with; try it with smoked salmon for example. Lot of time spent straining it unless you have a centrifuge, though. Also, jesus christ, 40 feet tall and 2 feet thick? loving it's_all_bigger.txs, in Pennsylvania we had a 15 footer in the yard with a trunk about as thick as a baseball bat and that was "pretty big".

Cool! I haven't ever messed with them before. Just for reference here is the tree.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Errant Gin Monks posted:

My mulberry tree is in full on "poo poo fruit every where!" Mode so I went up the ladder and on to the roof and collected a bunch of them from the tree.... Now what to do with them.

I guess I should say this tree is about 40 feet tall with a trunk 2 feet across easy. It's the biggest one in our yards and is loving prolific.

Tonight I will find out if mulberries are good with pork belly, lamb and a myriad of other meats.

Mullberry rhubarb crisp.

Get to it. You'll thank yourself later.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

Mullberry rhubarb crisp.

This sounds like baking. Baking is some weird magical thing I am incapable of doing.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Mullberry rhubarb crisp.

This, you should do this.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

You are not a bitch, and this is barely baking. Let me recipe at you.

Oven to 375.

Mix topping :

1 stick unsalted butter butter, cold
1 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Splash vanilla
3/4 C rolled oats
3/4 C flour

Cube butter, throw all into food processor or mixer and pulse until crumbs, store cold.

Mix Filling :
2 C rhubarb, leaves discarded, washed, and chopped into ~1 inch chunks
2-3 C mulberries, washed
1 C sugar
Pinch salt
2T cornstarch
Optional : some lemon zest

Toss all of above together and dump into a deepish baking dish, I like a 9" oval. Cover thickly and evenly with topping and pat roughly level. Bake over a drip pan 40-50 minutes, until topping is golden brown on the high spots and filling is bubbling. Cool slightly and slop onto a plate with good french vanilla ice cream.

This takes maybe 15 minutes of actual work, including washing the knife and cutting board. :colbert:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Oven to 375.

Mix topping :

1 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Splash vanilla
3/4 C rolled oats
3/4 C flour

Cube butter, throw all into food processor or mixer and pulse until crumbs, store cold.

Mix Filling :
2-3 C mulberries, washed
1 C sugar
Pinch salt
2T cornstarch

Toss all of above together and dump into a deepish baking dish, I like a 9" oval. Cover thickly and evenly with topping and pat roughly level. Bake over a drip pan 40-50 minutes, until topping is golden brown on the high spots and filling is bubbling. Cool slightly and slop onto a plate with good french vanilla ice cream.

This takes maybe 15 minutes of actual work, including washing the knife and cutting board. :colbert:

What other berries would be good?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
All of them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

Oven to 375.

Mix topping :

1 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Splash vanilla
3/4 C rolled oats
3/4 C flour

Mix Filling :
2-3 C mulberries, washed
1 C sugar
Pinch salt
2T cornstarch

I can do this. I will post a trip report in the next 2 days.

Splizwarf posted:

All of them.

What did you think of the mulberry beast tree?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Senior Scarybagels posted:

What other berries would be good?

All of them. Use less sugar and more berries for strawberries, they cook down a lot.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

All of them. Use less sugar and more berries for strawberries, they cook down a lot.

I am excited about makin mulberry stuff. I'm terrified of having to go back up on the roof.

Have I mentioned I am absolutely terrible with heights? They scare me to death. And yet, there are so many branches in reach only from the roof!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Cool thanks for that I will definitely try these soon!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I am excited about makin mulberry stuff. I'm terrified of having to go back up on the roof.

Have I mentioned I am absolutely terrible with heights? They scare me to death. And yet, there are so many branches in reach only from the roof!

That was my job gowing up, going up the apple and mulberry trees at my grandparents' farm to pull down fruit. :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What did you think of the mulberry beast tree?

It's loving terrifying. Pretty rad, though; whole goddamn lot of mulberries on a tree that big. Whole goddamn lot of birdshit on everything you love waiting to happen, too. It's frustrating how many people hate mulberry trees for that reason.

Re: roof adventures: make like a pro roofer and restrain yourself from both edges. Tie a rope to the frame of that truck, another to the base of the tree, and learn to tie a basic climbing harness (or even some good knots in a strong leather belt). Make sure each rope is short enough that you can't fall off either side of the house. Some lovely bruises from busting your rear end and having the rope roll you across the roof are nothing compared to falling off and breaking your ankles (aka RIP My Small Business). Be safe, not sorry, but be prepared, not scared.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Some lovely bruises from busting your rear end and having the rope roll you across the roof are nothing compared to falling off and breaking your ankles (aka RIP My Small Business).

loving OW

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Just roll as you hit the ground and you'll be fine. That's how ninjas do it.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
For the love of Christ, people don't ask for a pizza to be cooked well done and then bitch when it's nice and crunchy. It's not burnt and you loving asked for it that way....

Rant over.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Our day dishwasher and new night dishwasher didn't like each other's work, so night guy quit. I volunteered to close dish, and ended up staying 3 and a half hours late. Left at 2:30 am with two gift bottles of wine from the owner, plus promised bonus pay. 13.5 hour shift. Back there in like 7 hours for brunch. Hourly rocks.

E: yes it was that backed up, plus we don't have a conveyor dishwasher. Hand washing and a little single load machine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Anyone know how to hold spoon bread after you make it?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I think my father just said that he plans to buy me a restaurant when he retires. He'd run the wine bar and I'd chef it up in the kitchen.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG, GUYS?!?!?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Make him read this entire thread. Every page. That'll change his tune real quick-like.

... I hope. :ohdear:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 26, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've known/worked for a few people who gave no shits if their restaurant was profitable, they just wanted to be able to own a restaurant and hang out there with their buddies while drinking expensive wine all day.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Wroughtirony posted:

I think my father just said that he plans to buy me a restaurant when he retires. He'd run the wine bar and I'd chef it up in the kitchen.

It's about time for a thread reboot.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm in the same situation! Though it's in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. That could be... nice.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

you could chef it up in the kitchen

BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
:coolspot: :five: :birddrugs: :coffeepal: :grin: :lumpen: :tviv: :mensch: :sweep: :suspense: :coolspot: :five: :birddrugs: :coffeepal: :grin: :lumpen: :tviv: :mensch: :sweep: :suspense:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Tonight for work: eating at ABC Cocina
Tomorrow for work: eating at some CIA Gala at the Natural History Museum

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've known/worked for a few people who gave no shits if their restaurant was profitable, they just wanted to be able to own a restaurant and hang out there with their buddies while drinking expensive wine all day.

The best is when they get all riled up because their unprofitibility is cutting into their wine-with-buddies time so they decide to start telling people to do things.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Turkeybone posted:

Tomorrow for work: eating at some CIA Gala at the Natural History Museum

Do your best to look and act like a spy. They'll think it's hilarious.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Other CIA.

e: Or is that the joke? I think I still have my alumnus card somewhere...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

swimming anime posted:

The best is when they get all riled up because their unprofitibility is cutting into their wine-with-buddies time so they decide to start telling people to do things.

These people. They are the worst.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My new boss owns. He's from Mississippi and just doesn't give a gently caress. He's upgraded food cost a good bit and we actually have good poo poo now. It's nice.

Everything seems to be working out. He did hire a driver who is really really dumb but whatever.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I'm at this dinner with Susan feniger, Nancy Silverton. Many oakes, tk, db, Daniel humm.. All my old idols. I am missing the life tonight.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

And Nancy oakes is upstairs making appetizers! The gently caress? I totally want to do a "Imma let you finish.." right now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm quitting tomorrow and it feels really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It sucks because I love the GM, but I really, really hate the owners, and they're squeezing labor to the point that service is a joke for our price point.

• Locked thread