Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Foma posted:

It shouldn't be because it brings to light how public sector unions are an antithesis of good government. Oh is Jonny Nightstick an abusive rear end in a top hat who should be shown the door, too bad he has a union protecting him. Oh is this the 30th abusive complaint for the officer, which puts him in #1 in all complaints, it would be great to fire him, but the union has leveraged protections that prevent that.

Johnny Nightstick has a slew of other lovely corrupt cops protecting him in addition to the arbiters, superior officers, politicians, and the whole criminal justice apparatus which knows at least intuitively that their function is to ensure that the police culture responsible for his brutality continues to work to their advantage come protest time. This is different from other public sector unions who have no real political support and who deal with workplace problems that aren't completely self-inflicted by a culture of sophomoric hazing. Besides which public sector employes who aren't cops are actually capable of producing something of value for which they can be unfairly compensated and which is actually useful to larger movements towards political emancipation and social justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Lotka Volterra posted:

Actually teachers and firefighter unions are cool and good. Then again, they don't have the power to murder people and get away with it.

I have no problem with unions providing legal protection for their members, my issue is that it seems like the police unions do more than just protect their members, they seem to control whether or not charges are brought on their members...

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ElCondemn posted:

I have no problem with unions providing legal protection for their members, my issue is that it seems like the police unions do more than just protect their members, they seem to control whether or not charges are brought on their members...

It's been said before, but it seems to have a lot to do with the incestuous relationship between judges/the county clerk/the DA/and the police force. Almost every level of the justice system is set up to protect police, and having ridiculously strong unions on top of that makes most cops (however bad) nigh untouchable. It's a serious problem when these people wield as much power as they do.

So despite my absolute faith in the institution of unions, there are times where I think "Cops have enough advantages already, strip them of unions". It's not really productive but that's pathos.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ElCondemn posted:

The union doesn't. The union members (police) and allies (DAs) do. This would exist without unions as well. Non union police departments still have a blue wall.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's been said before, but it seems to have a lot to do with the incestuous relationship between judges/the county clerk/the DA/and the police force. Almost every level of the justice system is set up to protect police, and having ridiculously strong unions on top of that makes most cops (however bad) nigh untouchable. It's a serious problem when these people wield as much power as they do.

So despite my absolute faith in the institution of unions, there are times where I think "Cops have enough advantages already, strip them of unions". It's not really productive but that's pathos.

The biggest problem is that the same apparatus that is supposed to be investigating, charging, and punishing police misconduct is the apparatus being investigated. The police effectively investigate themselves and won't let anybody else do it. This is how you get things like blatantly obvious police murders going completely unpunished or bullshit non-punishments like paid suspension. That latter part is an even more insane issue "dear police officer that did something wrong: have some free money and a vacation!"

Given that policing in America is also very heavily local there also aren't really any major national attempts at oversight or even national guidelines. Until some organization other than the police comes about that isn't beholden to the police at all comes around we're going to keep seeing this poo poo happening. It gets even more problematic when you see incidents of the police destroying evidence gathered against them. There's been poo poo loads of stories of people recording the police doing something, the cell phones being seized, and then mysteriously vanishing.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 2, 2015

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
We all know the problems, thing is the problems are the functioning of the entire justice system.

It's a complete farce. Utterly overwhelming even for those who can manage to grasp even some of the big picture, which is no small feat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I asked before but no one answered, do the FBI or justice department have some way to proactively root out bad police departments, or is it purely reactive?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

I asked before but no one answered, do the FBI or justice department have some way to proactively root out bad police departments, or is it purely reactive?

I don't think there's any real way for the justice department to root out bad departments at all if the current state of affairs is any indication.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
There is, but it is a lack of funding and will.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Define exactly what you mean, but the answer is likely yes. The problem is knowing who to investigate out of thousamds of departments unless you get complaints.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

nm posted:

^^^^^^

Define exactly what you mean, but the answer is likely yes. The problem is knowing who to investigate out of thousamds of departments unless you get complaints.
What I mean is, are they systematically examining all of them in some way? Maybe not going down to ask 17,000 departments and interviewing people, but running statistical analyses of their arrest patterns and stuff.

I'm sure it would be difficult and take forever, but do they have something better to do?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 2, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I mean is, are they systematically examining all of them in some way? Maybe not going down to ask 17,000 departments and interviewing people, but running statistical analyses of their arrest patterns and stuff.

No, but they legally could. Well, getting good stats to look at would be hard.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

nm posted:

^^^^^^

Hence saying "real way." If an agency exists but never does anything it may as well not exist at all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hence saying "real way." If an agency exists but never does anything it may as well not exist at all.
Yeah, which is why I am wondering, if stopping the police from ending people left and right isn't a priority for the justice department, what is?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, which is why I am wondering, if stopping the police from ending people left and right isn't a priority for the justice department, what is?

Controlling the underclasses, apparently.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also providing cushy office jobs for whichever party currently controls the White House.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

At the moment? I imagine mostly keeping private prisons full with whoever they can round up in poor and/or black neighborhoods.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Excuse me, but we have a war on drugs here. Do you want us to lose another war or are you a patrotic, good American?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

If there's still anyone out there who doesn't know what white privilege looks like:

https://twitter.com/deray/status/594685998719770624

After curfew, a Baltimore cop nicely gives his third and final warning to a group of white protesters in the white part of town to pretty please get off the streets because he doesn't want to put any of them in handcuffs.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If there's still anyone out there who doesn't know what white privilege looks like:

After curfew, a Baltimore cop nicely gives his third and final warning to a group of white protesters in the white part of town to pretty please get off the streets because he doesn't want to put any of them in handcuffs.

I was present for this, and it was extremely weird, given how stupidly aggressive the police are being elsewhere (meaning an 8-minute drive from that protest site). I don't think any of us were expecting the cops to be that polite and it made us all really uncomfortable.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

CombineThresher posted:

I was present for this, and it was extremely weird, given how stupidly aggressive the police are being elsewhere (meaning an 8-minute drive from that protest site). I don't think any of us were expecting the cops to be that polite and it made us all really uncomfortable.

Kill yourself white privileged scum.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

CombineThresher posted:

CIS white male spotted.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PerpetualSelf posted:

Kill yourself white privileged scum.

Shut up nerd.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
hey there was at least one black guy in that crowd so it's not racist

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The protest was planned (with input from black community leaders) specifically to test how a largely-white group of curfew protesters would be treated by police. Meanwhile, medics on the outskirts of protests downtown got beaten up for no reason because the BPD is terrible.

The curfew was lifted this morning, so we'll see how that impacts things.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

Contrast your experience with this:

https://twitter.com/deray/status/594895836598800384

Three on one takedown of a single black protester right as the curfew begins. No discussion, no begging, no "I don't want to arrest you", just straight to point-blank pepper spray like he's a rabid animal.

He really took that initial blast of pepper spray like a goddamn champion though.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Three on one takedown of a single black protester right as the curfew begins. No discussion, no begging, no "I don't want to arrest you", just straight to point-blank pepper spray like he's a rabid animal.

He really took that initial blast of pepper spray like a goddamn champion though.

"See, why can't you (redacted) just protest peacefully like these fine upstanding whites?"

Edit: CNN is saying he threw a glass bottle which means he deserves it. Keeping dumping CNN.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 3, 2015

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I have, and I've been following that guy's Twitter feed (among others relevant to what's happening in the city) for a while. The way protesters downtown have been treated is sickening.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ralepozozaxe posted:

"See, why can't you (redacted) just protest peacefully like these fine upstanding whites?"

Edit: CNN is saying he threw a glass bottle which means he deserves it. Keeping dumping CNN.

Of all the things to bitch about in Baltimore this one just confuses me. Dude is clearly resisting arrest (albeit completely passively), after the pepper spray fails to have much of an effect they take him down cleanly and professionally in one move with none of the usual bonus shots the police like to throw in. If he threw a glass bottle at the cops he absolutely does deserve it.

edit: also holy poo poo that twitter feed, I didn't see a stretcher but it looked like the cops were carrying him because he was refusing to walk, not unable to walk.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 3, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Jarmak posted:

Of all the things to bitch about in Baltimore this one just confuses me. Dude is clearly resisting arrest (albeit completely passively), after the pepper spray fails to have much of an effect they take him down cleanly and professionally in one move with none of the usual bonus shots the police like to throw in. If he threw a glass bottle at the cops he absolutely does deserve it.

edit: also holy poo poo that twitter feed, I didn't see a stretcher but it looked like the cops were carrying him because he was refusing to walk, not unable to walk.

The bottle thing is untrue, and even then you don't respond by pepper spraying and beating the poo poo out of him and everyone around him.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The bottle thing is untrue, and even then you don't respond by pepper spraying and beating the poo poo out of him and everyone around him.

They didn't beat him at all, they took him to the ground cleanly and put cuffs on him, that's exactly how they should respond

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Jarmak posted:

They didn't beat him at all, they took him to the ground cleanly and put cuffs on him, that's exactly how they should respond

Then why didn't they do it to the white people who were doing the same thing? I hope the officer who didn't take them down immediately gets some form of reprimand for his irresponsible behavior.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 3, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Jarmak posted:

The point is the night-and-day difference between the way the white protesters in the wealthier part of town get an adult conversation and zero violence on their third warning that they are breaking curfew whereas the black protester at Penn and North gets immediate violence in response to passive resistance.

The cop talking to the white protesters said explicitly that he didn't want to arrest any of them. Compare that to the look of glee on the face of the cop dragging the black protester's face across the pavement after the takedown.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The point is the night-and-day difference between the way the white protesters in the wealthier part of town get an adult conversation and zero violence on their third warning that they are breaking curfew whereas the black protester at Penn and North gets immediate violence in response to passive resistance.

The cop talking to the white protesters said explicitly that he didn't want to arrest any of them. Compare that to the look of glee on the face of the cop dragging the black protester's face across the pavement after the takedown.

The look on the smiling guy's face is disgusting, and who is that guy in non cop clothes holding his legs?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Then why didn't they do it to the white people who were doing the same thing?

Maybe because its a small peaceful gathering in what looks like a suburb versus ground zero for the rioting and violence? Maybe its because a bunch of hipster looking kids standing around illicit a much more cooperative response then a guy with a "gently caress the police" shirt doing the come at me bro thing at the police. You'll also notice in the first video all the people have quieted down and gather around to listen calmly to what looks like only one or two cops. Whereas the second looks like a police riot control line and a bunch of people rush in when they make the arrest.

We also have no idea why they chose to arrest him, the video starts seconds before the pepper spray, we're meant to assume its just because he's black but why him and not any of the other dozen or so black people you can clearly see in the video.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

who is that guy in non cop clothes holding his legs?

I'm assuming a plainclothes officer, though I don't see one of those neck-lanyard ID things.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Then why didn't they do it to the white people who were doing the same thing?

I imagine because, if this is true:

CombineThresher posted:

The protest was planned (with input from black community leaders) specifically to test how a largely-white group of curfew protesters would be treated by police.
then the white people protest self-selected for people who didn't want to cause friction and was held in a neighborhood that hasn't had clashes in the last few days, in the hope that the police would also show restraint (thereby demonstrating that the police are racist.) According to the Baltimore Sun, most of the protesters dispersed a few minutes after curfew when the police gave them a second warning, and the remainder dispersed as soon as the police started lining up for riot control, so it's not as though the police ever had the opportunity to wade in swinging truncheons into white skulls. I imagine if they had sat down in the street and refused to move, there would probably be footage of them getting pepper sprayed and dragged.

The Baltimore Sun posted:

At 10 p.m. the officers returned and the protesters were given a warning.

Five minutes later, they were given another warning as more police began to stage in the area.

"It's five minutes after 10. This is your second warning," police announced.

Most of the protesters left.

About 10:10 p.m., two officers talked to the few remaining protesters and gave them a final warning.

By that point, a wall of dozens of Baltimore Police officers with shields and helmets lined up in formation.

The few protesters looked nervous. The media were told to stand aside. The few protesters dispersed.

Officers were told to stand down soon after.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

My Q-Face posted:

There's a sentiment I hear somewhere, whenever anybody says this, let me see if I can remember what it was... Oh Yeah, they don't have those people

20% of the German population is minority/migrant/otherwise not German.
13.5% of Norway's population is minority/migrant/not native Norwegian.
15% of France's population is minority/migrant/not native French.
22% of the Netherlands' population is minority/migrant/not Dutch.
14% of England's population is minority/migrant/not English.
28% of the US Population is "Not White".

It seems that you're proceeding from a false and racist notion somebody once told you. None of those countries are remotely as homogenous, especially in their metropolitan areas, as your comparison would seem to warrant. How is it that Germany, with its almost 15% "undesirable" Turkish "gangster" population, combined with its mostly open borders to its Eastern European Gangster Neighbors, is able to fire fewer bullets at criminals in a year than US cops do in a single incident?

It seems like you don't know what you are talking about.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

tsa posted:

It seems like you don't know what you are talking about.

No you don't know what you're talking about.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Jarmak posted:

Maybe because its a small peaceful gathering in what looks like a suburb versus ground zero for the rioting and violence? Maybe its because a bunch of hipster looking kids standing around illicit a much more cooperative response then a guy with a "gently caress the police" shirt doing the come at me bro thing at the police. You'll also notice in the first video all the people have quieted down and gather around to listen calmly to what looks like only one or two cops. Whereas the second looks like a police riot control line and a bunch of people rush in when they make the arrest.

We also have no idea why they chose to arrest him, the video starts seconds before the pepper spray, we're meant to assume its just because he's black but why him and not any of the other dozen or so black people you can clearly see in the video.

Exactly, it's hard to respond to white liberals trying to 'make a difference' with anything more than unbridled laughter, if it were anarchists throwing rocks you'd have a different story. There's a lot of intellectual dishonesty when people try to make these black v white comparisons when the underlying scenario is clearly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

tsa posted:

Exactly, it's hard to respond to white liberals trying to 'make a difference' with anything more than unbridled laughter, if it were anarchists throwing rocks you'd have a different story. There's a lot of intellectual dishonesty when people try to make these black v white comparisons when the underlying scenario is clearly different.

What would you say is the functional difference between peaceful black protesters and peaceful white protesters?

• Locked thread