Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Randler posted:

Objection! I question this history major's qualification to talk about work.
you're reaching, randler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Randler posted:

Objection! I question this history major's qualification to talk about work.

what a hateful, petty thing to say

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

it wasn't just all mayweather's ~~tactics~~ either, manny just did not punch enough. that's my professional analysis. they should've punched more.

manny definitely needed volume. the perception of mayweather as a defensive boxer really worked in his favor, though he also outboxed manny

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the fight would not show up on the tv at the party i went too, i was very disappointed

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
watched from the street with a bunch of dudes a projector on the side of a building

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Floyd Mayweather: the Virginia of boxing

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
also did someone properly lol nutranurse for his "if you're not black, you're white" statement

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

The Warszawa posted:

also did someone properly lol nutranurse for his "if you're not black, you're white" statement

wait what

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

man Multiversity is weird

I feel like grant morrison is just regurgitating party drugs directly onto the page at this point

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Warszawa posted:

It's true tho

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

nutranurse posted:

whiteness in america basically boils down to "not black"

not to single nutranurse out because there are way dumber posts itt

ZenVulgarity posted:

It's true tho

only no not really not at all

also see example of dumber posts:

My Imaginary GF posted:

There are white black people in America, like Beyoncé

Whiteness is a class and an ethnicity.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mestizo arent white and also arent black

native Americans

in not gonna start listing ethnicities this is ridiculous

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

not to single nutranurse out because there are way dumber posts itt

only no not really not at all

also see example of dumber posts:

I mean look you fake white latino

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
the interesting dynamic to explore with this fight is why mayweather and pacquiao were seen as equally american choices btw, contrast the general nationalism in boxing

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
even Dartmouth Boy, for all his punching down at black people, still knew that white people didn't treat Asians as One Of Theirs™ and talked about the glass ceiling, even though his only proposal was "scrap AA because it offends my just world sensibilities"

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

lol at all the mad whiteys talking about how mayweather beats women while just days ago they were championing cops beating on black people for decades

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

"scrap AA because he offends my just world sensibilities"

*nods sagely*

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ugh i have to do a presentation to my boss tomorrow morning

i'm making a flow chart. i long for the sweet embrace of penniless academia

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

the interesting dynamic to explore with this fight is why mayweather and pacquiao were seen as equally american choices btw, contrast the general nationalism in boxing

mayweather/paquiao upends a lot of common racial narratives in sports, from a stylistic perspective

You've got an asiatic feller renowned for his speed, punching power and elan, boxing a proud black man renowned for technical precision and cold discipline

not a lot of room for rambling about Fast Twitch Muscle Fibres in there

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

manny definitely needed volume. the perception of mayweather as a defensive boxer really worked in his favor, though he also outboxed manny
mayweather was clearly the better boxer, but the, like, five times manny actually pushed in, mayweather couldn't do much besides spinning out of there or grappling and waiting for the ref to pull them apart. i think manny got the couple of rounds where he did that as well. i guess maybe pacquiao wasn't really feeling rushing in with mayweather's right just waiting there for him, tho. but y'know, at some point you have to realise letting mayweather control the fight isn't working out for you either, so you might as well.

it kind of felt like neither fighter cared all that much about the result of the fight.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

R. Mute posted:

it kind of felt like neither fighter cared all that much about the result of the fight.

$300,000,000

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

mayweather was clearly the better boxer, but the, like, five times manny actually pushed in, mayweather couldn't do much besides spinning out of there or grappling and waiting for the ref to pull them apart. i think manny got the couple of rounds where he did that as well. i guess maybe pacquiao wasn't really feeling rushing in with mayweather's right just waiting there for him, tho. but y'know, at some point you have to realise letting mayweather control the fight isn't working out for you either, so you might as well.

agreed on basically all counts you're a good dude r. mute i would watch boxing with you and murmur "communism is a decrepit ideology that will fail its adherents even worse than the general population" into my beer when you weren't paying attention

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

agreed on basically all counts you're a good dude r. mute i would watch boxing with you and murmur "communism is a decrepit ideology that will fail its adherents even worse than the general population" into my beer when you weren't paying attention
someone's always paying attention, comrade

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

R. Mute posted:

the result was that they were getting paid

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna OD on baseball today gently caress the red sox

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

well, yeah

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Gonna OD on baseball today gently caress the red sox

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
also gently caress management

PAY A-ROD

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

baseball is so strange

it's like cricket but for barbarians

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i tried watching cricket once

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

warsz this is why there aren't more cubans in team offices

V. Illych L. posted:

baseball is so strange

you gonna pretend to appreciate criquette now, Sven?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

R. Mute posted:

i tried watching cricket once

it is also quite strange

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PupsOfWar posted:

you gonna pretend to appreciate criquette now, Sven?

oh not at all, i'm just saying that it has a certain baroque dignity to it

baseball seems to lack even that, going so far as to have its terminology irrevocably appropriated by sex metaphors

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

PupsOfWar posted:

oh word?

any front office that claims they can't make money marketing a home-run record needs to get out of the business of making money

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

V. Illych L. posted:

oh not at all, i'm just saying that it has a certain baroque dignity to it

baseball seems to lack even that, going so far as to have its terminology irrevocably appropriated by sex metaphors

lol

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

it is also quite strange
it's the most british and therefore the most terrible sport

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

crochet is cool insofar as indians like it and are cool, but it is bad insofar as it is terrible

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

V. Illych L. posted:

baseball is so strange

it's weird watching a game where the dismissals barely register any response from the audience but the runs are a big loving deal

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also chelsea just won the prem. v. uncool

e: with a 1-0 victory against crystal loving palace - the only goal from a botched penalty. the most mourinho thing to ever happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

also chelsea just won the prem. v. uncool

• Locked thread