Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Supraluminal posted:

The presence/absence of lights is a function of which roads you use. The interactions are kind of complicated (here's a video guide), but the most important thing to know for building roundabouts is that two-lane one-way and highway roundabouts should never have lights. (I think ramps won't either.) For whatever reason, six-lane one-way appears to create lights, so don't use that.

Highway also has the benefit that cims will actually use multiple lanes because of their logic for staying out of highway exit lanes, so they tend to work well for heavy traffic as long as you allow enough space between intersections.
The next common trap for free handing lumpy roundabouts in situ beyond needing one way 2 lanes, ramps, or highways is you need to go counter-clockwise for RHD and clockwise for LHD to get the main roads to be lightless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BallsFalls posted:

I don't think the timed traffic lights really help much. I've only gotten good use out of the toggling and priority signs. I've had some success with changing turning lanes

The timed lights don't matter that much because there isn't a daily traffic cycle. If there was a day night cycle, even if it took several game "days" to run through then you would get more realistic traffic situations because you'd have people going to work in the morning, and leaving at night, and delivery trucks would deliver early in the morning and you'd have semi trucks running on the highways all times of the night and poo poo.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Timed lights would work for certain kinds of intersections that are more complicated than a simple +. I tried one setup where I replaced my highway off ramp with a simple perpendicular road. It worked fine except that it created two lighted intersections right next to each other that were totally out of sync.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can anyone recommend some mods to make airports look like actual big city airports.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can anyone recommend some mods to make airports look like actual big city airports.

Depends on what you mean by "big city". John F. Kennedy Airport in New York City is equivalent in size to 5 tiles in-game. That's space you could use for more highways.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Curvature of Earth posted:

Depends on what you mean by "big city". John F. Kennedy Airport in New York City is equivalent in size to 5 tiles in-game. That's space you could use for more highways.

poo poo, I'd be happy with 3x length, twice as wide. But I'm also a giant shitter.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

There's a whole bunch of standalone hangars and terminals or airplane parking parks on the workshop

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
But no runways.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

I'm really enjoying Hadlock's Algiers map, but the lack of any flow to the water means that

My apologies. Now that I've figured that out, I'll be releasing a v2 on Monday with proper water flow.

I really like the Algiers map too, my largest city of 170k is on that map. The biggest problem I've found is a lack of places to place airports (which makes sense, since it's all a giant seaside hillside) and I'm working on correcting that as well.

I'm interested to hear of any other goons who have tried my maps, they all seem to have 300± subscribers but this is the second time I've heard of someone using my map

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

mr. nobody posted:

I'm up to 10k people and this is working so far for me; I started out with one-way roads, but sorta forked like that, at the initial highway connection. As soon as I could, I purchased the land plot to the north and connected my industrial another way directly to the highway and things have been smooth ever since. There's a few small roundabouts in the industrial area, where traffic was very heavy before I was able to get the second outside connection, and those helped immensely.

In this screenshot it's shortly after I found out the fun way that hey you really shouldn't expand your industrial area into the water tower area, because all your people get sick and die. Anyway I hope this gives you some help.

edit: oh, one mod that's really simple and helps with traffic issues is Toggle Traffic Lights, it does what it says.

edit: closer up view of the starting connection, industry left, residential right

Do not take my advice. This turns into a terrible snarled up mess very quickly and I was wrong, so wrong.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hadlock posted:

My apologies. Now that I've figured that out, I'll be releasing a v2 on Monday with proper water flow.

I really like the Algiers map too, my largest city of 170k is on that map. The biggest problem I've found is a lack of places to place airports (which makes sense, since it's all a giant seaside hillside) and I'm working on correcting that as well.

I'm interested to hear of any other goons who have tried my maps, they all seem to have 300± subscribers but this is the second time I've heard of someone using my map

I was thinking of putting my airport on the hill above the starting time, seems pretty flat up there. Does that not work?

A v2 of the map would be killer. I've noticed a few weird terrain glitches along the coast where there is a tiny pit at the edge of the water, in case those aren't already on your radar.

Could you post some screenshots of your city? I'd be interested to see what someone else did with the map.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Check out Atlanta and ATL to the west on Google satellite. Its pretty crazy huge.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What happens if you unsubscribe from custom assets and then load up a city that had them on the map? Does it crash or do those buildings just despawn? I subscribed to a ton of growables but my performance is taking a real hit and I don't really care enough about most of them for it to be worth it.

Update: They just disappear :thumbsup:. My city is kinda making GBS threads itself right now from having half the buildings disappear but the performance boost is worth it. Subscribing to like 200 growables was way too ambitions.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 3, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I've been working on my most difficult map to date (Hartford, Connecticut) and I've just realized how difficult it is to get map images for overlays using the overlay mods. OSM viewers are garbage and the non-Terrain party map program is horribly buggy. Just another day in the life of a mapper. :)

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Knowing little about how games actually work, is it at all possible for a patch (or expansion) to modify the game's code to allow for better performance when running lots of subscribed assets?

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

popewiles posted:

Knowing little about how games actually work, is it at all possible for a patch (or expansion) to modify the game's code to allow for better performance when running lots of subscribed assets?

I doubt it. Part of the problem is that a lot of modders will just publish decent looking buildings but with horribly massive file sizes. When you get hundreds of buildings at 20MB each your game is going to poo poo itself

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

popewiles posted:

For model based stuff I guess its conceivable that there could be some hand holdy diagnostic tools to yell at you when you're liable to load more things than advisable.

For code based add-on stuff, its already been described as "probably allowing deeper access to the guts of the code than most companies would be comfortable with" so its largely based on the efficiency of the coder. But also conceivable they make some fundamental changes that play nicer with certain add-on goals, but probably not likely.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

BallsFalls posted:

I doubt it. Part of the problem is that a lot of modders will just publish decent looking buildings but with horribly massive file sizes. When you get hundreds of buildings at 20MB each your game is going to poo poo itself

Someone could maybe/probably do something like the several mods in Kerbal Space Program (another popular game that uses the Unity engine) that compress textures to lower resolution, or convert them to better formats in memory (ie .dxt).

That's actually perhaps not a bad idea for how pointlessly big some of the textures are.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brb, converting all my building textures to .jpg

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

SynthOrange posted:

Brb, converting all my building textures to .jpg

I never realised how much I wanted a sweet bro and hella jeff filter until now! :sbahj:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My city is getting a strange Canadian flavour.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.

MikeJF posted:

I love all of these and I can't wait to see what else he releases. I need my Canadian authenticity!

Anyway, I spotted this lonely, little house and had to get a snapshot of it.

Watch your step out that back door.

Also:

When you just gotta' have that sub.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zarah posted:

I love all of these and I can't wait to see what else he releases. I need my Canadian authenticity!

Anyway, I spotted this lonely, little house and had to get a snapshot of it.

Yep, that looks pretty Canadian right there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of questionable zoning decisions, how about these poor bastards.

Honey we can't grill tonight, a semi ran over our patio again. :qq:

What dear? I couldn't hear you over the passing cars.

I SAID--

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Putting low cost housing between major roads is one of my favorite things to do. Every time I do it I think "Look at these poor suckers, so desperate to own a home that they would even live here" Then I laugh and move on, but I always check back every once in a while.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

My first city has this poor bastard.

He's sandwiched in between the initial roads I first put in, and should really get around to tearing out and making into a proper freeway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I say leave it because ridiculous intersections are a defining trait of "natural" looking cities.

Growing organically and dealing with the consequences is my biggest problem with this type of game, it's too easy to plan too much or just make grids everywhere.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ShootaBoy posted:

He's sandwiched in between the initial roads I first put in, and should really get around to tearing out and making into a proper freeway.

this reminds me of those homeowners in china that manage to have a government connect and so their house is the only one that doesn't get eminent domain'd and everything just gets build around them

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

xzzy posted:

I say leave it because ridiculous intersections are a defining trait of "natural" looking cities.

Growing organically and dealing with the consequences is my biggest problem with this type of game, it's too easy to plan too much or just make grids everywhere.

You say that now.

edit:

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 4, 2015

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

drat. Give the guy a couple of trees!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

MikeJF posted:

Whoever made those clearly lives in Ontario and it makes me not want to use any of them out of spite.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 4, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Moridin920 posted:

this reminds me of those homeowners in china that manage to have a government connect and so their house is the only one that doesn't get eminent domain'd and everything just gets build around them
Nail houses, as they're called.

ShootaBoy posted:

You say that now.

Yeah that poo poo ain't natural.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Moridin920 posted:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I got to feeling a bit bogged down with my first city, partially because I was taking pains to build organically and avoid eminent domain, and partially because I learned a bunch about how the game works that made me want a fresh start. I decided to try again with the goal of building out a biggish city fairly quickly while applying some of the lessons I'd learned. I settled on a fused grid design for the basic template - it's easy to cover large areas with it quickly, and it lends itself pretty well to the traffic sim. Here's my progress so far:

Aerial view:

Zone plan:

Neighborhood detail:

Downtown has stuck pretty closely to the grid layout but there are places where it varies, especially in oddly-shaped areas. I'll probably mix it up to some extent as the city grows and I want to convert some of the existing areas to high density.

The land value map shows giant holes where my bigass parks are. :v:

Traffic:

It works pretty much as intended. The neighborhood quadrants are designed to be inefficient to drive through/around, with lots of dead-end streets, which pushes traffic out to the connectors and arterials. As a consequence those bigger roads have a poo poo-ton of traffic, but so far I've been able to keep it from backing up terribly. I was actually so impressed by how efficient it was at first that I delayed adding more interchanges for as long as I could, forcing all in/out traffic through that top-left area, and I got to about 18k people before it became chronically congested.

Close-up of the top left, still the busiest part of town because a) that's where all my industry is and b) the university is just off-screen to the bottom right. There are always big lines at the intersections, but people generally don't have to wait through more than one light. It's very rare for them to back up past the last intersection. I expect this will ease up a little once I add more industry in other areas and grow the city generally, since the traffic should diffuse in more directions.

I should mention that I haven't built any public transit at all yet. This was part of the "how big until it breaks" experiment initially and since then I've just been lazy. Once I get around to it, it should help a lot. The grid layout will be conducive to easy line design; I think I can get the vast majority of the city within 2-3 transfers of any other point in town.

Finally, a few glamor shots:

Some of the only high density stuff in town. There's a symmetrical park on the other side of that commercial area, top-right.

The other high-density area, on a narrow peninsula in the river, featuring a nice waterside park.

Watching interchanges that connect directly to roundabouts is mesmerizing.

Speaking of which, this is one of several ridiculous interchanges I spent way too long making. They connect to the frontage roads and the roundabout with a single exit/entrance on each side of the highway.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the city so far. The "filler" parts of the fused grid are fast to throw up while remaining slightly less bland than a strict conventional grid and there's plenty of places to fiddle around in the margins for variety. This phase has given me some ideas for how to make new areas more interesting to look at and more efficient as well.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 4, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That interchange is about one million times more involved than anything I've ever attempted.

I always start out "this time I'll do it RIGHT" and then when it comes time to do it I get worried about how much real estate I'd have to bulldoze and for a minimal approach that does nothing to help the traffic.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Looks really nice, I like it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Cims versus the state of Connecticut.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
These death waves are getting tiresome :sigh:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

These death waves are getting tiresome :sigh:

Every now and then delete a few housing-zones and rezone them immeadiatly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
It's foolish question time!

Why do so many people throng to this bus stop? Only a single bus line comes here. In fact I have only 3 bus lines total as I've tried to keep my road traffic down, because my other problem...

Is interchanges! I've downloaded several interchanges from the workshop, but they don't work very well for retrofitting as so much stuff has to be demolished.

Finally, how do you deal with people who complain of noise even after you've planted so many trees around their apartment block that it looks like Vietnam?