Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

lol

41: Caligula dies. Probably for the best, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that might be a maori mormon thing idk

e: are there a lot of maori mormons? it is possible

e2: either way, :dogbutton:

i mean theyre mormons, they have presence just about everywhere due to the mandated missionary work

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

nutranurse posted:

i mean theyre mormons, they have presence just about everywhere due to the mandated missionary work

Do Maoris count as people or as blackfolk for Mormon theology purposes?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

thiat is not Cougar Rugby loving false advertising

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quote:

Oh god, people. Before you complain about BYU appropriating a culture that isn't theirs, will you please actually LOOK up their haka's origins? They started doing it because their one Maori player REQUESTED it to honor his deceased father. Who was the son of the Ngati Porou iwi chief.

Seems to check out:

quote:

Mahuika said he was honoured to share his culture with American fans and overwhelmed by their response.

"The crowd went crazy. I had people coming up to me asking why we had not done it before."

The news was welcomed by his grand-uncle Api Mahuika, chairman of the East Coast iwi Ngati Porou.

"It is a great opportunity for him to learn and share his culture."

Speaking from his home in Utah, Bryce Mahuika said the haka was inspired by his father, Michael, who despite leaving New Zealand for America in the 1970s remained proud of his homeland and culture.

"My dad passed away a couple of months ago. He taught us [six children] the haka and our culture."

When his father died, he, his brother and other whanau performed a haka at the graveside, which rekindled his appreciation for his heritage.

When the football squad's coach asked for ideas on strengthening team motivation, Mahuika suggested the haka. "The coach was all for it."

Mahuika's mother Nancy said her late husband would have been proud.

Mahuika said he was confident the haka would become a tradition for Brigham Young University.

:shrug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Randler posted:

Do Maoris count as people or as blackfolk for Mormon theology purposes?

regarded in the same light as native americans so supposedly their skin would grow lighter as they repented

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
man, mormon theology is so hosed up

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

V. Illych L. posted:

lol

41: Caligula dies. Probably for the best, really.

Yeeaahhh, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk7T3qKrlgU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

How do light skinned Asians fit into Mormon whatever?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

so it was started by a race traitor as well

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Oh this is where the thread went

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

white posters slurring minorities?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

man, mormon theology is so hosed up

yeah, it v much is, but a lot of the fuckery comes from brigham young

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

How do light skinned Asians fit into Mormon whatever?

in utah it used to be a greater crime to marry an asian person than to marry a native american so take that for what you will (utah being in the west youve got a healthy dose of hating-on-asians)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

me: hey did you see they lifted the baltimore curfew after pictures of the cops ignoring white people and beating black people out after curfew came out?

dad: well yeah maybe the white people were just standing there while the black people were rioting, why would they arrest them for that

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
is the mormon pope on his deathbed?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

is the mormon pope on his deathbed?

Does he poo poo in the woods?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Does he poo poo in the woods?

does Utah have woods?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

john cena fans are worse than neonazis

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I knew a Maori guy through rugby who used to get massively pissed over the misuse of the Haka and frequently exchanged harsh words with people when they asked him to do it as a party piece.

Cool guy, he worked with at risk kids in NZ

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

joeburz posted:

fat shaming is dumb but people(as in more than 10 idiots) think that morbid obesity isn't a health issue?

i'd say there's 10 people who sincerely believe it and a whole bunch more who espouse it because otherwise they have to confront it

PupsOfWar posted:

crochet is cool insofar as indians like it and are cool, but it is bad insofar as it is terrible

the implantation of cricket among the indians is among the british empire's crimes

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Why do people want Bernie to actually win? Imo he'd be better staying in Congress to do things or at least give good filibusters

they want him to win because they think the president has dictatorial powers and obama just refused to use them (also probably only bush and obama are the only presidents they can actively remember).

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Nintendo Kid posted:

they want him to win because they think the president has dictatorial powers

Weren't there people on these forums seriously believing that Bush would just declare himself president for life?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Why do people want Bernie to actually win? Imo he'd be better staying in Congress to do things or at least give good filibusters

Because America is full of individuals who refuse to think things through.

I think things through, and accept the implications.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I want Sanders to run and win as much as he can (which I am quite sure is neither the nomination nor the Presidency, but hopefully a meaningful amount of votes) because I want Clinton to be forced to deal with a campaign that is leftwards of her, and because, in the US system, the President is the only office elected on a national level, so that is the scale in which to raise discourse of national importance.

That isn't a substitute for work on the district and State level, where legislators get elected, obviously. That being said, it's not unlikely that many people pushing for him do think that the President has powers far beyond what our system actually allows for.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

why would lucas include jar jar when we can get perfectly good antics from r2 and c3po

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I want Sanders to run and win as much as he can (which I am quite sure is neither the nomination nor the Presidency, but hopefully a meaningful amount of votes) because I want Clinton to be forced to deal with a campaign that is leftwards of her, and because, in the US system, the President is the only office elected on a national level, so that is the scale in which to raise discourse of national importance.

That isn't a substitute for work on the district and State level, where legislators get elected, obviously. That being said, it's not unlikely that many people pushing for him do think that the President has powers far beyond what our system actually allows for.

If you want someone to win, put your money where your mouth is with a 2.000 NIS contribution.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

nutranurse posted:

why would lucas include jar jar when we can get perfectly good antics from r2 and c3po

your guess as is good as mine

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

to appeal to minority demographics, just as c3po appeals to autists and r2d2 to children

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you want someone to win, put your money where your mouth is with a 2.000 NIS contribution.

you're the worst antisemite ever

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nutranurse posted:

Obviously he felt that he hadn't managed to cover enough racial and cultural stereotypes with the original trilogy, so he was trying to make up for it.

Also, are you going to watch the original trilogy, or are you stopping after Return of the poo poo?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nutranurse posted:

because c3po would make a worse senator in episode 3

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Go die in a fire.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

because c3po would make a worse senator in episode 3

uh a droid that can speak all the galactic languages seems like a good candidate

surely in starwars there was at least one planet of bots needing representation

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

jar-jar wasn't a senator, he was a nonvoting associate planetary representative

it was all padme's fault for making him a voting deputy

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

also, are you going to watch the original trilogy, or are you stopping after Return of the poo poo?

i dunno, maybe. the original trilogy has less flashy fights

e: ok lol the trade federation aliens are totally a racist caricature of chiense people

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Hot drat, I finally fixed the router and Muttering Obama Global Warming guy just gave me 25 bucks of his $200 internet debt

Today is a good day

Edit: He also apologized for being a dick the other night
REALLY good day
that's cool and good to hear, seriously:unsmith:

paranoid randroid posted:

mostly i wanna know if the mysterious avatar benefactor just happened across an apropos picture to turn into an avatar or actually put work into making one. because, hell, i like it.
the mysterious avatar benefactor definitely puts some work in

I got a GIF for my gift av, and I know from the Steven Universe thread that getting gifs down to a small, acceptable size while still keeping the gif looking good can be a real pain in the rear end

and this is the original Latuff picture that was photoshopped to be Absurd Alhazred's avatar:

mysterious avatar fairy is good, and does great work

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
postin'

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

fade5 posted:

and this is the original Latuff picture that was photoshopped to be Absurd Alhazred's avatar:

what's this cartoon supposed to express re: somali famine

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

what's this cartoon supposed to express re: somali famine

it's bad

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

nutranurse posted:

john cena fans are worse than neonazis

nah cm punk fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
how much of ron paul's fanbase in 2007-2008 and 2011-2012 were dumbshit lefties who thought "hey i think he says good things about war and weed :downs:" and didn't bother to research his other positions

• Locked thread