Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

I don't really "get" ebooks. If the digital copy costs more than the physical copy, that's pretty dumb.

It doesn't. That's just a GW thing, trying to suck as many dollars from the consumer as possible. The industry standard is that the ebook costs 50% of the paperback print version.

On a related note, I was talking with a new guy in our gaming group who used to work with GW Canada. He said that the company has absolutely no concept of money at all or how a business is supposed to run - they would fly the staff of the Canada HQ down to Glen Burnie for a full week for a half-hour presentation, then wine and dine them for the remainder of the week on the company dime.

This, my friends, is where your GW money goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

It doesn't. That's just a GW thing, trying to suck as many dollars from the consumer as possible. The industry standard is that the ebook costs 50% of the paperback print version.

On a related note, I was talking with a new guy in our gaming group who used to work with GW Canada. He said that the company has absolutely no concept of money at all or how a business is supposed to run - they would fly the staff of the Canada HQ down to Glen Burnie for a full week for a half-hour presentation, then wine and dine them for the remainder of the week on the company dime.

This, my friends, is where your GW money goes.

Lol that's actually how every business is run.

Job one as a middle manager/jr. executive anywhere is pissing away company money on dumbass poo poo like retreats, expensed meals, and first-class tickets.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Yeah, my employer just spent $20000+ in travel sending people to see a new piece of software, paying for airfare and rooms for 3 days and I think they spent a total of 5 hours demoing it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

berzerkmonkey posted:

So far it's been highly effective in making me not buy books I have an active interest in reading, so I hope they're really harpooning those whales.

Are there any alternative outlets or secondhand stores that are likely to carry GW stuff at prices below their online store or B&N, assuming I can bear the shame of buying their stuff in person?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Voyager I posted:

So far it's been highly effective in making me not buy books I have an active interest in reading, so I hope they're really harpooning those whales.

Are there any alternative outlets or secondhand stores that are likely to carry GW stuff at prices below their online store or B&N, assuming I can bear the shame of buying their stuff in person?

Amazon.

They're just books, dude. Pulp paperbacks are $10, hardcovers around $20 just like every other book.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 30, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I've been buying my own books for more than 20 years, and aside from stuff like Pride & Prejudice reprints I don't think I've ever seen a new hardcover with an MSRP of <$22.95. I really don't have a problem with how much physical BL books cost, except those big oversize paperback ones.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Hardcover is justified, but the ebook prices are ridiculous.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Riso posted:

Hardcover is justified, but the ebook prices are ridiculous.

I'll always buy Dan Abnett hardcovers (because I want his stuff the day it comes out) but I'll also pay out for an omnibus eventually and box the hardcover.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My friends and I used to buy the BL ebooks a lot more than we ever did the paperbacks. But ever since they started this offensive gouging on the ebooks people have just flat out turned to piracy. And I don't blame them at all. It is such a transparent pisstake.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Hmm, it actually looks like the Eisenhorn ebooks off the Black Library sites are coming in at $12 individually or $70 for everything in the series (Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Pariah, and some short stories) which isn't an aggressively bad deal and is cheaper than buying used paperbacks of Amazon.

My browser isn't mistakenly displaying Pounds as Dollars or something, is it?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I buy the hardbacks for all of the 40k books I read (Abnett & ADBs stuff basically) and whatever softback else there is (Wraight & crew). If I buy a book in 2015 it should come with an ebook, like those blurays that come with a digital download. I want the physical copy of the book because its cool to own but I also want the convenience of being able to read it where ever I go.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Jerkface posted:

I buy the hardbacks for all of the 40k books I read (Abnett & ADBs stuff basically) and whatever softback else there is (Wraight & crew). If I buy a book in 2015 it should come with an ebook, like those blurays that come with a digital download. I want the physical copy of the book because its cool to own but I also want the convenience of being able to read it where ever I go.

I'm sort of the other way around. I want to read a lot of books without having them all over the place for risk of defining me. A whole bookshelf full of 40K books would give an impression of a person that I'm not.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zephyrine posted:

I'm sort of the other way around. I want to read a lot of books without having them all over the place for risk of defining me. A whole bookshelf full of 40K books would give an impression of a person that I'm not.

I really hope you're not serious with this post, because if you think a bookshelf defines who you are, you have serious problems...

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Maybe he means it invites judgements of who you are that you might not want.

Because just because you're hiding those books doesn't mean that that's not the kind of person you are.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

I really hope you're not serious with this post, because if you think a bookshelf defines who you are, you have serious problems...

He has a point. A bookshelf of 40k might encourage someone to purchase more books as a gift. "I saw you loved those spacemen books, so I got you this one. It's by someone called Henry Zou...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zephyrine posted:

You need to care less about what people think.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you are so insecure that you have to hide your choice of book so people don't judge you, then I don't know what to say. That shallowness is way more harmful to how people will perceive you than any amount of mainstream shitfiction could ever be.

For instance, your post made me think that you are a loving weirdo.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have two bookshelves of 40k stuff

I also bench above my body weight and my dlift is over 9000 u fkin nerds

Gunna slam u in a locker

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My bookshelf is in my bedroom so no one will ever see it

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Oh man, this is my favorite discussion that this thread takes every now and again!

I can sympathize with not wanting to display your love of genre fiction for the world to see. Should you feel ashamed for reading books about lasers and spacemans? Absolutely not. But that doesn't stop the fact that most people out there would judge you if they walked into your house and saw a 40 year old with a bookshelf full of warhammer and forgotten realms books.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
If I went to a dudes house and saw a floor to ceiling bookshelf full of 40K books i'd totally not gently caress him.

bunnyofdoom posted:

My bookshelf is in my bedroom so no one will ever see it

Especially women :smaug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A whole back I went to a friends 40-somethingth birthday and found that he had so many books in his house that you could basically shape the stacks and throw a blanket over them to make couches if you wanted. It was awesome. So much to read.

Also :siren: my girlfriend :siren: went to Gamesday with me to get her books signed by Dan Abnett so... uh... get better friends?

ETA: what did I just say?
VVVVVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 3, 2015

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

I believe that what you put in display in your home does a lot to give people an impression of what kind of person you are.

And although I find the 40K books amusing they are also kind of dumb and "thuggish" It's a world of man-children who would if given the choice replace their genitals with a minigun if give the option because girls are icky anyway. I rather dislike space marines and their damned superiority complexes but the world itself and the real people in it. Not just humans but fleshed out characters with opinions and emotions, wants and desires, flaws and aspirations.

Like Lorgar, Erebus,
Longfang in "Prospero Burns"
Perturabo with his clockwork miniatures
Horus before he was relegated to a background piece.

There are a lot of things that I've read that I'd not want to put on display in my house. The Anita Blake series. The wheel of time series.

Disworld. That is something I would keep on display.
"down and out in paris and london" is another.
I would definitely put any work by Lovecraft on display

I wouldn't put "1984" on a bookshelf.

40k as a whole is really really dumb. Interesting but very dumb.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 3, 2015

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

I believe that what you put in display in your home does a lot to give people an impression of what kind of person you are.

And although I find the 40K books amusing they are also kind of dumb and "thuggish" It's a world of man-children who would if given the choice replace their genitals with a minigun if give the option because girls are icky anyway. I rather dislike space marines and their damned superiority complexes but the world itself and the real people in it. Not just humans but fleshed out characters with opinions and emotions, wants and desires, flaws and aspirations.

Like Lorgar, Erebus,

There are a lot of things that I've read that I'd not want to put on display in my house. The Anita Blake series. The wheel of time series.

:goonsay:

Wow

Lol

Personslly i promeintly display halo and drizzit books myself

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Zephyrine posted:

Like Lorgar, Erebus,

40k as a whole is really really dumb. Interesting but very dumb.

Source your drat quotes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Especially women :smaug:

:thejoke:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

hopterque posted:

Source your drat quotes.

Quotes?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Think about it, it'll come to you.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
I see where your coming from i have boxes full of warhammer books i don't display either because its junk fiction fun to read and pass some time. Its books design to sell mini dolls so nothing to take seriously.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zephyrine posted:

"If someone comes in to my house and sees my books by a modestly racist horror writer that's totally awesome, but none of that high school reading list scrub poo poo."

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you made racism of the author a criteria for books instead of content that would be a very small and boring shelf.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Its a sad day when a man is afraid people will judge his value as a person based on the cover of his books.

edit: person sorry

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 3, 2015

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Its a sad day when a man is afraid people will judge his value as a person based on the cover of his books.

Swing and a miss...

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think people absolutely judge other people based off of the books they read. If I'm on a bus and I see a set of identical twins, one of them reading 50 Shades of Grey and the other is reading Crime and Punishment, I'm going to immediately start having preconceived notions about them. Now those motions may be wrong (or they may even be unconscious thoughts on my part) but regardless of that the thoughts will come to me nevertheless. That's just how the world and we humans work, as a whole we are a judge mental lot.

Now caring about what others think about your choice of books? That's another matter entirely.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 3, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Zephyrine isn't doing a great job of explaining her point, but yeah, my genre fiction collection probably isn't going on top of the mantle.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

SRM posted:

"If someone comes in to my house and sees my books by a modestly racist horror writer that's totally awesome, but none of that high school reading list scrub poo poo."

"modestly racist"

Howard Phillip Lovecraft posted:

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a friend of the family.

Anyway this whole argument is dumb as hell because if someone is casting immortal judgment you for the contents of your bookshelf, you should probably not be friends with them, and if you are embarrassed enough by the fact that you read spaceman books to need to hide them under a giant pile of Steinbecks, you need to loosen the gently caress up. Nobody gives a poo poo that you file McNeill next to McCarthy.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I think people absolutely judge other people based off of the books they read. If I'm on a bus and I see a set of identical twins, one of them reading 50 Shades of Grey and the other is reading Crime and Punishment, I'm going to immediately start having preconceived notions about them. Now those motions may be wrong (or they may even be unconscious thoughts on my part) but regardless of that the thoughts will come to me nevertheless. That's just how the world and we humans work, as a whole we are a judge mental lot.

These twins do/should not give a single flying gently caress about you, some dipshit on the bus they will never have to interact with in any other context than you silently judging them for what they read.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Tulul posted:

These twins do/should not give a single flying gently caress about you, some dipshit on the bus they will never have to interact with in any other context than you silently judging them for what they read.

I agree, and that is why I included the bottom of my post that you clipped out of my quote! They shouldn't care about what people are thinking about them, but that doesn't mean that the judgements won't be happening.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Spot the Warham reader:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Now caring about what others think about your choice of books? That's another matter entirely.
Bus judgements are totally different to house judgements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Being worried about house-based reading judgements implies that you will forgo comfort and true expression in your own home for the sake of perceived conformity. That is really pathetically sad on multiple levels.