Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
oiko and ziki_7, who are both doing arrangements for Urban Legend in Limbo, put up a free download with 1gb worth of their albums to celebrate their 10th anniversary. A few of the files didn't extract correctly for me, but otherwise it's a lot!

You can get the download off their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Thanks for this! Looking forward to checking it all out. I really like ziki_7's work.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26152902 FMW4 demo PV!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

edit: v he and akyu are clearly taking over for Murasa and Ichirin

Ryza fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 1, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Disco isn't dead, I see.

Why was Rinnosuke in the Palinquin ship?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Have you ever wanted a game that was trying to be as Touhou as its little bones could, and fell at least a little short in every respect?

Then Jigoku Kisetsukan is for you! It's probably worth a play, being priced at a whopping Free Dollars.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Playism has put out a release date for english version of Touhou 14 - it's 5/7/2015. Also some two Touhou indie games will be released also

Malek Deneith fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 1, 2015

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Malek Deneith posted:

Playism has put out a release date for english version of Touhou 14 - it's 5/7/2015. Also some two Touhou indie games will be released also

lol, they're really going with Takkoman? Really? I love Takkoman...but it's gotta be like the most in-jokey thing ever. Seems like a weird choice.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
I am excited for Takkoman getting a release though I doubt any amount of english will help us understand what that hell is happening in it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Justus posted:

lol, they're really going with Takkoman? Really? I love Takkoman...but it's gotta be like the most in-jokey thing ever. Seems like a weird choice.

"Nobody plays Touhou fangames for the plot, so we'll just give them the thing made out of a bunch of forum ascii injokes, because it's loving fun," I figure is the logic behind it.

(Before anyone mentions FMW as "play it for the plot", does anyone actually play it for that, or do they play it to play a SRW game with bullet lolis?)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

"Nobody plays Touhou fangames for the plot, so we'll just give them the thing made out of a bunch of forum ascii injokes, because it's loving fun," I figure is the logic behind it.

(Before anyone mentions FMW as "play it for the plot", does anyone actually play it for that, or do they play it to play a SRW game with bullet lolis?)

I play FMW for the plot, which is why I only played FMW1

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

KataraniSword posted:

Half the fun of SRW is the plot.

So, a good part of the fun of FMW is the plot.

It's a pretty nice adaptation of the series story into a longer format with more characters.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I can vouch for all of the above statements. FMW is an honestly enjoyable story with entertaining characters, dialogue, and narrative.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Speaking of FMW, I can't seem to get the decrypter/unpacker to work. I'm specifically looking to grab the face icons. I get the icons out of data2-1.dat just fine, but even following the instructions and entering data2-2.dat -of data2-1.dat as the parameters I can't unpack data2-2 correctly (or data2-3 for that matter). I'm sure that they've been decrypted correctly too. Or should I bother making an account on the forums over there and reviving a dead topic for this?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I cant wait for blitzz blast to quit his LP and make a translation patch because i no longer look in LP

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
FMW both has a neat plot and is legitimately more interesting to play than most standard SRW games so that's pretty unfair on both counts.

Also the unpacker seems to have been written to work on Macs, so that might be your problem.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

FMW both has a neat plot and is legitimately more interesting to play than most standard SRW games so that's pretty unfair on both counts.

Whats unfair is that you're more interested in lp superstardom than making me a translation patch

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think you should check on that LP again because we actually are working on a patch. :v:

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...
is there trailers for all the games that will be on reitasai? i think they always put a trailer one week before..?

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

Super Mario Shoeshine posted:

is there trailers for all the games that will be on reitasai? i think they always put a trailer one week before..?

If you're talking about the big video with a bunch of trailers, that's usually just a comiket thing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's a website that usually puts up a list of all games and their the promotional screenshots together, I'll see if I can find it.

Also I heard Takkoman is still gonna be Japanese? Kinda weird since there's so little to translate in the first place.
EDIT: Now I'm hearing it's actually Touhou 14 that won't be translated too in which case...huh?

And yeah FMW is unironically good in every way.

Here's another Mystery Gensokyo for Vita trailer. Interestingly I notice Uniting Barrage Action added to the Play-Doujin list at the end.
Also holy hell why would you need this much script

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 3, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why would you sell an untranslated game to the West.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

HGH posted:

Also I heard Takkoman is still gonna be Japanese? Kinda weird since there's so little to translate in the first place.
EDIT: Now I'm hearing it's actually Touhou 14 that won't be translated too in which case...huh?

Where are you hearing this? That sounds crazy.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This Japanese tweet from the PlayismJP twitter linking to the English release date announcement. Maybe I'm misreading it.

Someone suggested something about not releasing the series anywhere out of ZUN's control. Since he doesn't know English, no English translation. Or something like that.

HGH fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 3, 2015

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
You can play a web demo of Urban Legend of Limbo now.

Of note: it's got 15 character slots, not 14, so either there's a pretty good chance someone is a mid-boss and they haven't announced them yet, like Mamizou.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Where are you hearing this? That sounds crazy.

Yeah, pretty sure that's entirely wrong.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The Twitter post says "Touhou Kishinjou will be released on 5/7 to the overseas market. Though the contents are Japanese, it will be playable on an English OS." Then it goes on to describe Takkoman as "Takkoman (English version)."

But wasn't DDC released for purchase on Playism sometime last year? They wouldn't make a big announcement for this if it was just the same thing again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
No, Playism definitely tweeted that DDC will not be translated. They just modified it to work with English system locales, and some option menu stuff. This isn't too surprising, if you know much about ZUN's philosophy for dealing with Touhou stuff. He made these games entirely by himself, so he's uncomfortable with the idea of someone else changing them in a way he can't oversee (since he wouldn't personally know if a translation was correct).

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Aw, shoot. I noticed that it was never said that it was gonna be English, but I guess I got caught up in the hype. Seems like a real missed opportunity considering I already bought the thing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clarste posted:

No, Playism definitely tweeted that DDC will not be translated. They just modified it to work with English system locales, and some option menu stuff. This isn't too surprising, if you know much about ZUN's philosophy for dealing with Touhou stuff. He made these games entirely by himself, so he's uncomfortable with the idea of someone else changing them in a way he can't oversee (since he wouldn't personally know if a translation was correct).

I don't buy that one bit. DDC will get an English release. Calling that now.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Takoluka posted:

I don't buy that one bit. DDC will get an English release. Calling that now.
Prepare to be disappointed then.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Clarste posted:

Seems like fan translations editing the game kinda defeat that, and there's no way he doesn't know of them by now.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I'm surprised they weren't more upfront about that. They must be crazy. People are going to be so pissed.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

They'll prob just buy it and wait for a translation patch because I'm the only one itt that cares about the plot

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Clarste posted:

No, Playism definitely tweeted that DDC will not be translated.
There doesn't seem to be a tweet like that, not on @PlayismEN twitter at the very least. The only time any question about Touhou translation was asked was via their ask.fm right after initial announcement, and the reply was along the lines of "can't talk about it right now".
Of course there isn't any confirmation there will be translation either, which is worrying.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Plus as far as fan patches go, all efforts have pretty much stopped. The previous guys haven't done anything since TD and would rather work on mangos. The new one basically gave up after some internet drama. Seems like dire times.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

HGH posted:

The new one basically gave up after some internet drama.

What's that about? First time I hear about that.

I still think it's a shame that the Gensokyo.org stopped updating their replay stuff for games after TD. Kinda hard to find DDC replays when there's no real replay archive for it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tengames posted:

Seems like fan translations editing the game kinda defeat that, and there's no way he doesn't know of them by now.

He knows about them and encourages it. Heck, that's one of the reasons he doesn't think it needs to be translated. But that's "doujin", in the sense that it's just fans doing stuff on their own.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

Malek Deneith posted:

There doesn't seem to be a tweet like that, not on @PlayismEN twitter at the very least.

Apparently it was posted on the Playism JP twitter. This looks like the relevant tweet: https://twitter.com/playismJP/status/594380885211787264

I think fan translations get taken for granted a bit for the Touhou games because they've been happening for so long, but you can't rely on people who liked the games enough to patch them 10 years ago liking the current ones enough to want to do the same, even putting aside the fact that people move on to other things.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I get the feeling people are getting uneasy for no reason, since just because whoever who did the old translations are gone doesn't mean there aren't others to replace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If anything, it might be better if there are no more patches. As long as a translation only exists on a wiki, mistakes can be fixed. But once a patch is out there, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Your "bounded field"s and "Cherry Blossom of Sumizome"s will last forever.