Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't forget the orphanage thought Mary Sue Poots was a year younger than she actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yep, I hope they bring him back at some point. The effects were shockingly good for him.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Was Creel from AoS the boxer in Daredevil or was it his dad?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It was him before he acquired his powers.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Huh, I just looked up the actor and he's only 36. Charlie Cox is 32 but then he can pull off a younger look where as Brian Patrick Wade manages to look older.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

boom boom boom posted:

I'm gonna stop cause I guess I'm through the bad part of the show.

Still, out of the first like, 14 episodes of this show, the only one I enjoyed was the one where the gang had to fight a retarded ghost with a wrench that got loose on their plane.

That is an amazing plot description.

Please continue these. I actually want to see how you react to the episodes which are actually any good. And your posts are actually quie entertaining to read.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Huh, I just looked up the actor and he's only 36. Charlie Cox is 32 but then he can pull off a younger look where as Brian Patrick Wade manages to look older.

Whoa. I definitely assumed he was older. But I'm with you, I assumed Matt Murdock was late-20's and Creel was mid-40's...which would mean ~15 years ago, Matty would be around 12 and Creel around 20.

Would a 20-year-old fighter be placed against an old-timer like Matt's dad? Seems like an unfair match. Guess it worked out for Murdock, until it didn't.

vv Edit: Yup. Apparently basic arithmetic is not a thing I can do. Yeah, a 30-year-old guy and a 40-something Jack Murdock is more possible vv

Xealot fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 3, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xealot posted:

Whoa. I definitely assumed he was older. But I'm with you, I assumed Matt Murdock was late-20's and Creel was mid-40's...which would mean ~15 years ago, Matty would be around 12 and Creel around 20.

If Creel were 45 now he'd be 30 15 years ago.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

boom boom boom posted:

Finally! I figured they would save the cameo for the finale if they were gonna do it at all.

To be fair, he was also in like episode 2 or whatever it was

But his big cameo was the finale, and it was awesome!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlueBayou posted:

To be fair, he was also in like episode 2 or whatever it was

But his big cameo was the finale, and it was awesome!

I don't remember that. To be fair, I watched the first three episodes as they aired, before giving up on the show in angry disgust.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
His cameo in s01e02 was in the post-credits scene. It was a pretty neat reminder that this was Fury's SHIELD they were working for.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MikeJF posted:

Don't forget the orphanage thought Mary Sue Poots was a year younger than she actually is.

Excuse me, sir. I believe you're mistaken about your choice of nomenclature.

Also going to see AoU today. That's Theta Protocol, isn't it? Seeing AoU. I bet Coulson was jetting around the world and setting up these bunkers so he'd have a place he could go to avoid spoilers.

I just spoiled it, didn't I. Sorry Phil :ohdear:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Xealot posted:

Would a 20-year-old fighter be placed against an old-timer like Matt's dad? Seems like an unfair match. Guess it worked out for Murdock, until it didn't.

vv Edit: Yup. Apparently basic arithmetic is not a thing I can do. Yeah, a 30-year-old guy and a 40-something Jack Murdock is more possible vv

It's mentioned in the fight commentary that Creel is younger than Jack Murdock, and the creator pointed that out when discussing the crossover.

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/television/Here-How-Daredevil-Agents-H-I-E-L-Related-71206.html

quote:

“If you look at it, there's actually a very critical line, which is, 'Battlin' Jack is doing very well against a much younger fighter.' So the idea is, we looked at it from the point of view of, Mike Tyson was the heavyweight champion when he was 18 years old. [Brian Patrick Wade], who plays him in the show, looks like he's in his mid-30s, so there was enough time for us to be able to say, 'There's no reason why that isn't the same person."

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 3, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The reason why myself and others who saw the film before the yanks were saying that Theta Protocol doesn't appear in Age of Ultron is because it literally doesn't. I mean, if it is the New Avengers facility depicted at the end of Age of Ultron, which really is the only thing that makes sense other than a completely different, pointless thing, what with the spin-off and all well....

...that's completely pointless. That would honestly be a more egregious slight to the tv show than anything Joss Whedon has said or any kind of inter-connectivity that has been downplayed before. It would also basically condemn this show to being everything pointless and wasteful about it.

This show could have been a really fantastic, modern-day X-Files, able to craft it's own mythology out of the lesser known elements of the comics that only halfway inspired it, if it goes the route depicted above, that will be incredibly stupid.

To be honest, despite how much I dislike this show's flaws, I never thought it would convince me that one of it's most talked about 'strengths' was actually it's greatest weakness, so I really hope that's now what's going on.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dan Didio posted:

The reason why myself and others who saw the film before the yanks were saying that Theta Protocol doesn't appear in Age of Ultron is because it literally doesn't. I mean, if it is the New Avengers facility depicted at the end of Age of Ultron, which really is the only thing that makes sense other than a completely different, pointless thing, what with the spin-off and all well....

...that's completely pointless. That would honestly be a more egregious slight to the tv show than anything Joss Whedon has said or any kind of inter-connectivity that has been downplayed before. It would also basically condemn this show to being everything pointless and wasteful about it.

This show could have been a really fantastic, modern-day X-Files, able to craft it's own mythology out of the lesser known elements of the comics that only halfway inspired it, if it goes the route depicted above, that will be incredibly stupid.

To be honest, despite how much I dislike this show's flaws, I never thought it would convince me that one of it's most talked about 'strengths' was actually it's greatest weakness, so I really hope that's now what's going on.

Yeah, if Theta Protocol is supposed to be (A:AoU spoilers) the helicarrier then that doesnt really fit with the travelling all over and buying bunk beds. If its supposed to be the new avengers facilty then it doesnt make any sense; The avengers arent secret. Their central NY city base with the massive "A" on the side is not secret. Presumably their new base, also not secret. So why the hell would the furniture for it be being bought by Phil "Secret squirell because the avengers still think I'm dead" Coulson? Stark would just send a peon to Ikea with his onyx creditcard for that poo poo. You dont need to engage a spy, the head of reallest shield no less, to buy furniture for a regular non secret legit organisation.

If it is supposed to be the helicarrier then thats a wet fart of a plot because it will have no bearing on the storyline of AoS considering how big a plot point "Theta Proticol" has been made out to be in the show. There also isnt anything to suggest that the "friends" who helped get the carrier are anyone other than maria hill and Stark.
I'm not saying it WONT turn out to be that, just if it is I'll be disappointed because it'd be bad writing and incredibly underwhelming as we move on to the last few episodes of the season.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Well, there might be some virtue in not leaving everything at the mercy of Tony's purse strings considering his past, current, and future behavior (cough, civil war) while at the same time keeping it under wraps that underground fugitive organization S.H.I.E.L.D. is bankrolling the new Avengers Academy for gifted children.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just thought Theta Protocol was Coulson "activating the Avengers". I think that's been his fail safe plan. For anything he can't handle he passes it along to the Avengers via Hill.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, if Theta Protocol is supposed to be (A:AoU spoilers) [spoiler] the helicarrier then that doesnt really fit with the travelling all over and buying bunk beds.

You do realize the hellicarrier probably has a few thousand staff on it and they need a place to sleep, right?

SiKboy posted:

If it is supposed to be the helicarrier then thats a wet fart of a plot because it will have no bearing on the storyline of AoS considering how big a plot point "Theta Proticol" has been made out to be in the show. There also isnt anything to suggest that the "friends" who helped get the carrier are anyone other than maria hill and Stark. I'm not saying it WONT turn out to be that, just if it is I'll be disappointed because it'd be bad writing and incredibly underwhelming as we move on to the last few episodes of the season.

Not sure why you think it would be "bad writing" and "incredibly underwhelming." Fury said something along the lines of having gotten the hellicarrier built with the help of some friends. Coulson is probably one of those, and bunk beds were probably a (small) part of the project. It's a very important plot point because hellicarriers are the symbol of SHIELD. So when they finally located the scepter, Coulson said "initiate theta protocol and call in the Avengers" and that's how everything is tied together.

That's just me though. We might find out more in this week's episode.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

enraged_camel posted:

Not sure why you think it would be "bad writing" and "incredibly underwhelming." Fury said something along the lines of having gotten the hellicarrier built with the help of some friends. Coulson is probably one of those, and bunk beds were probably a (small) part of the project. It's a very important plot point because hellicarriers are the symbol of SHIELD. So when they finally located the scepter, Coulson said "initiate theta protocol and call in the Avengers" and that's how everything is tied together.

They had helicarriers in the first season. We never saw them much, the team never particularly used them, but shield had them. If their big secret project is "we have one of the things we had dozens of in the first season that had zero impact on anything", how is that anything OTHER than underwhelming? If thats Theta Protocol then it would have less impact on the everage episode than Coulson growing a beard would. It would be a big build up for zero pay off, and thats lovely writing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SiKboy posted:

They had helicarriers in the first season. We never saw them much, the team never particularly used them, but shield had them. If their big secret project is "we have one of the things we had dozens of in the first season that had zero impact on anything", how is that anything OTHER than underwhelming? If thats Theta Protocol then it would have less impact on the everage episode than Coulson growing a beard would. It would be a big build up for zero pay off, and thats lovely writing.

Not if that Helicarrier somehow factors into the finale. I mean, who knows what they did with it after AoU? Maybe the finale is an epic arm wrestling contest between Coulson and Gonzales to see which SHIELD gets to use it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SiKboy posted:

AoUThey had helicarriers in the first season. We never saw them much, the team never particularly used them, but shield had them. If their big secret project is "we have one of the things we had dozens of in the first season that had zero impact on anything", how is that anything OTHER than underwhelming? If thats Theta Protocol then it would have less impact on the everage episode than Coulson growing a beard would. It would be a big build up for zero pay off, and thats lovely writing.

AoUThey did just blow up the bus and need a new "Away" set. Certainly I think it's unlikely they're going to be regularly flying around in the Helicarrier from now on but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Spergatory posted:

Not if that Helicarrier somehow factors into the finale. I mean, who knows what they did with it after AoU? Maybe the finale is an epic arm wrestling contest between Coulson and Gonzales to see which SHIELD gets to use it.

Get out of here with that weak sauce. Go Greco-roman or go home.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Coulson, like Gregg, is clearly a BJJ master and would beat anybody 1 on 1

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SiKboy posted:

Get out of here with that weak sauce. Go Greco-roman or go home.

Screw that shirtless bare knuckle brawling on top of the command tower in front of a back drop of Mt. Rushmore where all four heads are Sammy L at different points in his career.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SiKboy posted:

They had helicarriers the first season, but they all went down when HYDRA attempted a take-over and it nearly destroyed SHIELD. That's what I'm trying to tell you: a brand new helicarrier is a symbol of SHIELD's official resurrection. Considering that's what Coulson has been working towards since the show started, I think it's a pretty big deal.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

XboxPants posted:

AoUThey did just blow up the bus and need a new "Away" set. Certainly I think it's unlikely they're going to be regularly flying around in the Helicarrier from now on but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

I sincerely doubt you'll see one at all since its kinda one of those big movie set pieces that they wouldn't "ruin" by using on TV. Gonzalez' ship may be the replacement for the bus but I really doubt it can fly or if it can we'll only get references to it. I'm pretty confident about this but I also don't wanna be the next Barry Convex.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

enraged_camel posted:

You do realize the hellicarrier probably has a few thousand staff on it and they need a place to sleep, right?

Pretty stupid symbol if you ask me. As cool looking as helicarriers are, a few well placed hit will send it plummeting to the ground.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

enraged_camel posted:

They had helicarriers the first season, but they all went down when HYDRA attempted a take-over and it nearly destroyed SHIELD. That's what I'm trying to tell you: a brand new helicarrier is a symbol of SHIELD's official resurrection. Considering that's what Coulson has been working towards since the show started, I think it's a pretty big deal.

Its not brand new, it's the original helicarrier from Avengers. Only the updated, mass production models were destroyed in Winter Soldier. The original helicarrier was dry docked for upgrades/repairs so it avoided the destruction and was never out fitted with Insight weapons. It's actually been a massive deal for the hardcore MCU fandom where the original was until Age of Ultron brought it back. It's probably been sat around half repaired and with no crew for a few years now. Theta is almost definitely going to be the Avengers Academy from the end of the film, especially as that's the rumoured setting for the film. The real plot drive behind that isn't that Coulson has been helping set it up but rather that he's been helping to find and secure powered students for it. Because, really, Coulson does want to weaponise powered individuals even if his motivates are pure. Bobby will end up working their because, as a sceptic, she's the natural choice to keep things in line.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Its not brand new, it's the original helicarrier from Avengers. Only the updated, mass production models were destroyed in Winter Soldier. The original helicarrier was dry docked for upgrades/repairs so it avoided the destruction and was never out fitted with Insight weapons. It's actually been a massive deal for the hardcore MCU fandom where the original was until Age of Ultron brought it back. It's probably been sat around half repaired and with no crew for a few years now. Theta is almost definitely going to be the Avengers Academy from the end of the film, especially as that's the rumoured setting for the film. The real plot drive behind that isn't that Coulson has been helping set it up but rather that he's been helping to find and secure powered students for it. Because, really, Coulson does want to weaponise powered individuals even if his motivates are pure. Bobby will end up working their because, as a sceptic, she's the natural choice to keep things in line.

The movie calls it "New Avengers Facility," not "Avengers Academy."

I mean okay, maybe that is Theta protocol, but I can't think of a reason why they would keep the name intentionally generic and vague in the movie if there's a whole film about it that's coming up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

enraged_camel posted:

The movie calls it "New Avengers Facility," not "Avengers Academy."

I mean okay, maybe that is Theta protocol, but I can't think of a reason why they would keep the name intentionally generic and vague in the movie if there's a whole film about it that's coming up.

I meant spin-off sorry, not film. And maybe the Academy area is only one area of it. There was military training going on in the final scenes after all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd not be surprised if the carrier becomes the new HQ in the next season.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

twistedmentat posted:

I'd not be surprised if the carrier becomes the new HQ in the next season.

All you really need is a handful of establishing shots of the carrier in the sky at different times of day that can be re-used alongside a couple interior sets.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It's too bad they won't ever let the movies have meaningful connections to the shows or vice versa. Just a quick newspaper with a headline about the Devil of Hell's kitchen or mentioning something that happened on AOS briefly would go a long way.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spacebump posted:

It's too bad they won't ever let the movies have meaningful connections to the shows or vice versa. Just a quick newspaper with a headline about the Devil of Hell's kitchen or mentioning something that happened on AOS briefly would go a long way.

If a TV show is big enough of a hit, absolutely.

"Doing alright" is not what Marvel wants, and that's why they're kind of kicking AoS and why I'm concerned it's going to get trashed despite being good now. Daredevil on the other hand is doing very well, so if it keeps that up for another season, it wouldn't shock me at all to see him in Civil War or something.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Facebook page" posted:

Find out what Theta Protocol is this Tuesday on Marvel's
‪#‎AgentsofSHIELD‬, and yes, it's all connected!

There you have it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

I'm gonna stop cause I guess I'm through the bad part of the show.

Don't. Please. It's been great watching your reactions while knowing how things currently stand.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Double Agent posted:

There you have it.

Maybe they just mean that it's connected to one of the previous episodes. Like the one where they said to start theta protocol. Never trust public releases on facebook.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Coulson should grow a beard.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Deadpool posted:

It's so funny how people forget what the dog argument actually was. It wasn't whether Ward did or didn't pull the trigger. It was that some people thought Garrett shot the dog which was ridiculous.

I believe it was both. First the denying, then they came up with that ridiculous idea of Garret doing it somehow.

I liked it better than the whole 'did they shag or not' argument when May left the door open for Ward. Some people are denser than vibranium.

And of course nothing will top "they will never do inhumans".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kheldarn posted:

Don't. Please. It's been great watching your reactions while knowing how things currently stand.

Allright. I'm not gonna be able to marathon the second season like I did the first tho. I'm way behind on animes.

• Locked thread