Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Elves are forest-loving, sex addicted,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The strategy I've used for getting more powerful is to figure out how far I can go into each zone/dungeon without getting smashed into a pulp. There are pretty well-defined difficulty spikes in most areas, so you can usually find some section of an area that is appropriately difficult for you. For example, in the Serbule graveyard, the first couple hallways have smaller spiders, and each part of the hallway gets harder. After that, you have some hallways with even bigger spiders, and also some skeletons and [spoiler species]. Each of these areas will be appropriate for you at different points on your journey, but probably not in a linear order: I found that when I was starting to outlevel one area of this dungeon, the next one would still knock my teeth in, so then I had to go find an appropriate section of a different zone. So it's a little bit of a scavenger hunt, where you have to figure out how hard different areas are and whether that difficulty will match up with your current gear and skills. I find this a fun puzzle to solve.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I'll be on later and can run some people through dungeons for xp if interested. Tag yourself up as GS and message me if you see I'm on - ign is Ruggan.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
If you're straight-up begging for some power leveling ask glug when I'm on, and I might be doing Panther farming. You'd just make sure you tag one or heal or something, and you should get xp. Lots for low levels. Also, running two bars of sword, or even running sword and not actually activating anything on your second bar for a minute or two (same effect) is a % above normal xp, but it's not double. Still very useful for leveling faster if that's your goal. You *will* want some kind of cool secondary though.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Ok, fine. Not really double XP but as close as it gets. I've been using that trick to fast track through animal handling too.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Here's the new thread title.

Project Gorgon: It's really that simple: two dicks, no soul.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Lol this is legitimately the best MMORPG I've played since like 2007, why can't I donate?

It's like the glory days of runescape when I was 13, but better

I assume I'm gonna run dry on content eventually and the disadvantages of a 1man dev team will be evident, but right now oh god it's good

What's the devs story? Is he a rich eccentric programmer? Is he an insane autistic basement teenager?

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 25, 2015

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

THE PWNER posted:

Lol this is legitimately the best MMORPG I've played since like 2007, why can't I donate?

I assume I'm gonna run dry on content eventually and the disadvantages of a 1man dev team will be evident, but right now oh god it's good

What's the devs story? Is he a rich eccentric programmer? Is he an insane autistic basement teenager?

He's a seemingly apathetic ex-dev of Asheron's Call with no marketing skills. But he's got a pretty good (and simultaneously batshit insane) head on his shoulders, a ton of interesting ideas, a lot of time to devote, and the skill to implement all those ideas in a way that works.

He also said he's swapping the game to Unity 5 and releasing it on steam in a few months or so,. How well he handles the whiney entitlement of the mass f2p community who never played an mmo prior to WoW will be interesting. Be prepared for global chat to be spammed with "omg this game sucks i am a cow"

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

lewtt posted:

He's a seemingly apathetic ex-dev of Asheron's Call with no marketing skills. But he's got a pretty good (and simultaneously batshit insane) head on his shoulders, a ton of interesting ideas, a lot of time to devote, and the skill to implement all those ideas in a way that works.

He also said he's swapping the game to Unity 5 and releasing it on steam in a few months or so,. How well he handles the whiney entitlement of the mass f2p community who never played an mmo prior to WoW will be interesting. Be prepared for global chat to be spammed with "omg this game sucks i am a cow"

if it comes with the introduction of new chat channels/filters im all for it.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

THE PWNER posted:

I have put a great deal of hours in. I am nowhere near running out of content. I am raising another class to 50 while farming for skins I can use to sell to some vendors I've maxed favor with that'll get me a pile of money each week so I can afford to get the skills I'll need to buy for that class I'm raising, finishing off some trade skills, working on some other favor quests and some more elaborate end-game crafting stuff, and I still have barely touched some of the dungeons.

As long as your goal isn't "beat every dungeon, get max level in my chosen two combat skills", it'll be hard to really run out soon.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

ever wonder what a cows head looks like from the inside out?

youre welcome

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

also, my bc flask looks like a shakeweight

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
That's not a cow

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
11 out of 12 physicians agree I have a large penis.
I'm playing as Jerk

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
My 6 year old daughter likes to play the same games I do. We played Firefall together and random other games. She saw me playing this and wanted to create her own character too. I let her. She's getting pretty good at reading now. I forgot all about Blanche and Rita. That's a conversation I was lucky enough to dodge. She can't play anymore. :D

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it does seem like an OK kids game... until sir coth puts on his +2 "ring" of "slaying"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
In this image, LatinaPrincess is too tired to offer me what a wolf tried, and another deer was finally able to.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

glug posted:

In this image, LatinaPrincess is too tired to offer me what a wolf tried, and another deer was finally able to.

Project Gorgon: Tornado Fuckers, Deer Fuckers, and More

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Deer loving is obviously bestiality. What's his name that charms goblins for his jollies would be teratophilia. Mushrooms Jack and the gardener have sitophilia.

I'm at a loss for what storm loving is. Google has nothing.

Project Gorgon is pioneering exciting new fetishes.

Edit: Patch announced for tomorrow morning.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 2, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
    GUI Tweaks
    The vendor window now has a checkbox to hide the equipment you don't meet the skill requirements for.

Best patch evar!

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Two other notes:
If you were in Sun Vale when you logged out, you will lg in to nothingness, because Sun vale physically moved. You will fall for a while and then die, horribly.

Man, I'm envious of the death xp :)

Also: the update to standardize # of enchantments on loot by rarity is officially known as the Latina Princess Principal.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Inimicul posted:

GUI Tweaks
    The vendor window now has a checkbox to hide the equipment you don't meet the skill requirements for.

Best patch evar!

holy crap, this is amazing

e:

ugh, there's so much stuff in this patch, but i can't find the notes in a copyable text form that i can paste here :argh:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 3, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

quote:

- Wolf Cave now has a level 50 duoable area. Some empty areas were added that will have werewolf stuff soon.
- A large new area of Kur Tower is open but it's all hosed up.
- Ice Magic is a new combat skill. It's like fire damage, but for CC. You have to have level 25 Fire Magic and do a cool level 40ish dungeon event to get it. You can get started by taking a quest from a signpost in Kur Tower. You'll need some buds to do the quest.
- A lot of abilities powers were changed to normalize power-to-effect ratios somewhat.
- Combat skills now give more max power.
- The Dig Deep ability you get from Endurance restores more power.
- Most abilities do more damage at high levels.

- Sun Vale is now much larger, every dimension was doubled.
- There are fewer Ranalan warriors in Sun Vale.
- The winter court fey near the Thorn's spawn have had their spawn rates normalized.
- Flowers and trees in Sun Vale are spread out more due to the zone size increase, so they're harder to collect.
- About a third of the fruit trees in Sun Vale have been replaced with boars and slugs.
- More content for Sun Vale is coming soon.

- New item drops now have level requirements about 10 levels higher than they did before.
- Dropped items will no longer sometimes be a tier higher than they were supposed to be.
- Dropped items will now have a standardized number of powers based on tier.
- A new super-rare high gear tier has been added and to make everything make sense the tiers have been shuffled around. Maroon "Epic" items are now purple "Exceptional" items, Yellow "Legendary" items are now maroon "Epic" items, and the new tier is yellow "Legendary". No stats have been changed, just the names. The new legendary tier is better than anything currently out there and is a flat world drop from every mob.

- There's a checkbox on vendors to hide equipment you cannot use.
- You can no longer accidentally drop items while the storage window is up.
- Magical items no longer show the wrong display color in the Sell window.

- Dungeon chests cannot be opened in combat.
- Navmeshes have been removed from the top of most dungeons. This means that knockbacks can no longer cause your character to magnet to the ceiling outside the dungeon.
- Some patrols have been removed from the high-level areas of Dark Chapel.
- Each corridor of the high-level areas of Dark Chapel now has a maximum number of elites that can spawn there at a time.
- The health and armor formulas have been retooled. Newbie monsters should have lower armor and high-level monsters should now have higher armor. Generally speaking, the health changes are trivial.
- Monsters can now build up an additional 50% rage past their cap to make volume of rage reduction more important.
- Yetis are now actually hard to kill while encased in ice.
- Old Fangsworth does not always spawn in the same spot.
- Khyrulek in Serbule Crypt has shared treasure like other elites now. The Galvanizer has a lower chance of dropping, but is guaranteed to drop from your first daily loot.
- Fixed Elites and Bosses did not have loot for every player.
- Bleddyn the Werewolf is now no longer an elite. Really!
- Fluffy the worm is now harder to kill.
- Lamias are now visible in areas of the Dark Chapel where they weren't.
- Acid Traps & Explosion Traps can no longer call for help.

- Weapon vendors will now buy shields.
- Bluebell seeds work.
- Malgath now gives favor for receiving shields.
- Apply Hammer Oil & Apply Katar Oil recipes now work properly.
- Stalwart Claws are now considered claws.
- Low-level fire magic recipe now cost fewer reagents to research.
- Skulls are now considered body parts, which means that many more vendors will buy them.
- Consigned items can no longer be duped.
- Some abilities that did not share cooldowns with their lower level equivalents now have the correct cooldowns.
- Fixed many treasure effects.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So this game has hooked me with it's quirkiness and lack of hand-holding. I'm getting a big Vanguard feel from it which is great. I love the dialog! It makes me want to read quest dialog because it's written very matter-of-fact and sarcastic.

Edit: Answered my own question. Good game. Liking it :)

Jebediah fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 3, 2015

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I created a cow alt to play around with and do stupid things. My main is only level 40 or so but every time I get on the cow and zoom through the zone with the speed boost, I can't help but giggle at the absurdity of it. I find myself wanting to play the cow more and more. I see the other animal forms have similar burst running abilities. Pig, for example, looks almost identical. Am I wrong? The constant mooing of the primary attack drives me nuts but I like the ability to stand in town asking people to help me milk myself. There is also the many possible secondaries that make for strange gameplay. Necro cow? Psychiatrist cow? Cow with a pet tiger? Do the other animals play much differently?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Now that Ice Magic is its own thing, does that mean all of the ice spells were removed from the Fire Magic line?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

quote:

- A large new area of Kur Tower is open but it's all hosed up. 
- About a third of the fruit trees in Sun Vale have been replaced with boars and slugs. 

even mundane notes about the game make me giggle. half the time he sounds like a crusty old maintenance worker explaining how he spent all morning loving around with that old piece of poo poo water heater to get it working again

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

I created a cow alt to play around with and do stupid things. My main is only level 40 or so but every time I get on the cow and zoom through the zone with the speed boost, I can't help but giggle at the absurdity of it. I find myself wanting to play the cow more and more. I see the other animal forms have similar burst running abilities. Pig, for example, looks almost identical. Am I wrong? The constant mooing of the primary attack drives me nuts but I like the ability to stand in town asking people to help me milk myself. There is also the many possible secondaries that make for strange gameplay. Necro cow? Psychiatrist cow? Cow with a pet tiger? Do the other animals play much differently?

I haven't had time to actually play much the last week or two, but I have a bunch of hours on both pig and spider. Neither is as painful to listen to as cow, IMO. Pig is a fairly normal melee fighter with self-buffs and a heal and whatnot, though its main strength is in the hands of players who are into side skills like gardening, foraging and mycology. There's basically a chain reaction of related skill bonuses for a LOT of skills when it comes to pig, and their ability to create infinite mushrooms means, among other things, your mycology skill will shoot right up (mushroom bomb damage gets ridiculous).

Spider is the rogue/wizard of the animals. It's very DPS-oriented and has to rely on gear and secondary skill for defenses and support. Goes extremely well with mentalism, because the AOE support powers get more mileage when you have baby spider minions at your side also getting buffed. Spider also has the second easiest time completing quests (after lycanthrope), as they have an illusion on a long cooldown that lets you briefly convince NPCs you're not a spider, for the price of one moonstone per cast. Obviously you'll need to go surveying a lot or be ready to pay for moonstones though.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jackard posted:

Now that Ice Magic is its own thing, does that mean all of the ice spells were removed from the Fire Magic line?

nope, ice magic is a whole new thing, fire magic kept all its stuff

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I wonder if they've thought about dual wielding weapon combos. Sword/shield is nice and all but I kind of want to see the option to dual wield for a slight damage boost at the expense of armor or something. I would totally run around with two hammers and no pants.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Inimicul posted:

I wonder if they've thought about dual wielding weapon combos. Sword/shield is nice and all but I kind of want to see the option to dual wield for a slight damage boost at the expense of armor or something. I would totally run around with two hammers and no pants three hammers.

I hope this thread keeps going, this is exactly the kind of game I like to read about.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I doubt his ball peen hammer is big enough to do any real damage

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I started playing this game yesterday, level 27/25 fire mage/ psych atm. How the gently caress do I get sulfur and saltpeter?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Farg posted:

I started playing this game yesterday, level 27/25 fire mage/ psych atm. How the gently caress do I get sulfur and saltpeter?

Make the rounds of merchants regularly (including the fairy outside of Serbule) and check their used tab. It gets expensive, but you have the advantage of lots of other people doing the RNG of loot drops for you.

I think at least one merchant in Eltibule can have them too, and the mushroom merchant in the myconian dungeon will buy anything.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I sell all my sulphur to Tornado Fucker (Yetta) in Etibule. I'm sure you'll find a good deal of it there since it keeps dropping for me in the goblin basement there. Sometimes even the saltpeter.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Farg posted:

You can occasionally get some from the bovine in Eltibule. It won't be quick but if you have nothing better to do you can grind some out.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Best place is Kur Tower in Kur, but not so much at 25. The slow moving but deceptively strong zombies in there drop sulfur and saltpeter, and fire spiders all over drop fire dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Farg posted:

Just ask in chat and somone will usually give or sell it to ya.