Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Lotka Volterra posted:

What would you say is the functional difference between peaceful black protesters and peaceful white protesters?

TSA only hates one of those groups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'd say that peacing out as soon as it becomes clear the police are not messing around has more to do with whether or not you get peppersprayed and handcuffed than the color of your skin.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

joeburz posted:

TSA only hates one of those groups

Also the police have been openly baiting black protesters downtown into violence and then beating the dogshit out of them in response.

edit: the curfew was incredibly stupid and enforced in the most blatantly racist way possible. Police response to protesters has been similarly racist and brutally violent without sufficient cause.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 3, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd say that peacing out as soon as it becomes clear the police are not messing around has more to do with whether or not you get peppersprayed and handcuffed than the color of your skin.

It seems quite clear that the difference in time before the police "stop messing around" is pretty drastic between the two cases, however.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ask Freddie Grey about peacing out from cops.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

:allears:

Realtalk: Any time you find yourself saying "it's not because of racial bias, it's because of this other thing" it's actually because of racial bias.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It may be true that the police are treating black and white protesters differently, but nothing that was posted in the last few pages supports that contention. You can't say, "Look, the police didn't get physical with this white protest (that dispersed as soon as the police were about to get physical.)"

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
What is lost in this is that large chunks of protestors in the, what i don't know, 'dangerous' areas cleared out around 10. Large amounts of media members were allowed to stay behind.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dead Reckoning posted:

It may be true that the police are treating black and white protesters differently, but nothing that was posted in the last few pages supports that contention. You can't say, "Look, the police didn't get physical with this white protest (that dispersed as soon as the police were about to get physical.)"

One group gets regular beat police that gave them multiple warnings; one I saw had the cop specifically say "This is your 2nd warning, I'll come back in 5 minutes and warn you a third time. Please return to your homes, I don't think either of us want any problems tonight."

The other group gets a battalion in riot gear who are hostile from the get-go and react on a hair trigger to any and every perceived disobedience.

The black protesters don't get a chance to disperse before the cops go from "present" to "getting physical".

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Dead Reckoning posted:

The white folks actually got a chance to disperse before the cops got violent though, the black folks tend to not even get a warning.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

Something tells me only the police themselves would have this kind of information, and its probably not even written down anywhere. Isn't it a safe assumption to make though, given patterns about how blacks versus whites are stopped on the street in general?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Lotka Volterra posted:

What would you say is the functional difference between peaceful black protesters and peaceful white protesters?

Generally a little bit of learnt racism and the location the protest is held. The white protesters are generally more racist than the police. Hence the reason they are not going to remove themselves from dadys little suburb to go protest with the others. You see this alot at college protest.

Law enforcement officers don't normally start out racist contrary to what you might think. Its generally a learned behavior that comes about through most of the crimes you are dispatched to being committed by minorities and poor people.

Now before you lash out and yell at me for being racist, I am not saying that white people don't commit crimes. I'm saying that the cops are not dispatched to those as often. Its not acceptable but unfortunately it happens.

In hindsight im sorry for touching the poop but I spent to long typing this up on my phone not to post it.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Melthir posted:

Generally a little bit of learnt racism and the location the protest is held. The white protesters are generally more racist than the police. Hence the reason they are not going to remove themselves from dadys little suburb to go protest with the others. You see this alot at college protest.

"suburbs"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Police response to white people protests -

OK guys go home. No really it's curfew time and yo need to go home. First warning...OK you can leave now. We're serious. We're enforcing curfew and you might get hurt. Not by us I mean by other people. Second warning...leave before we start arresting people. You're obviously law-abiding citizens so you need to obey this law. OK, third warning...leave now or you go to the station. :white people leave:

Police response to black people protests -

:SMACK, BASH: STOP RESISTING!!! :PEPPER SPRAY:

Yyyyyup, literally the same.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, except when the police occasionally spray non-resisting white protesters too just for the hell of it, like in that famous picture.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, except when the police occasionally spray non-resisting white protesters too just for the hell of it, like in that famous picture.

In this case I was largely referring to the response in Baltimore. If you're referring to the Occupy one that's kind of a different scenario; there was a massive crackdown nationwide on Occupy. That was more political than racial. Really different story.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Occupy was less gently caress THE (poor) BLACKS and more generally gently caress THE POOR AND THOSE WHO SUPPORT THEM (or opposed wall street, same difference).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In this case I was largely referring to the response in Baltimore. If you're referring to the Occupy one that's kind of a different scenario; there was a massive crackdown nationwide on Occupy. That was more political than racial. Really different story.
Oh no I wasn't trying to refute you or anything. Having people beat down by the police regardless of their race is different than the idea that blacks could be treated nicer by the police if only they did x.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Lotka Volterra posted:

It seems quite clear that the difference in time before the police "stop messing around" is pretty drastic between the two cases, however.

Yeah, protesters at Penn and North don't get the "one, two, two and a half...c'mon guys please don't make me bring out the riot cops" treatment. It goes straight to arrest and you're lucky if you're not roughed up first.

Melthir posted:

Except those protesting from "daddy's little suburb" last night did so specifically to highlight the disparate reaction they knew they'd get from police. Look up #BreakTheCurfew posts on Twitter from last night, they got kid-gloves treatment if the cops even bothered to show up at all. People drank alcohol openly on the sidewalk after curfew and police drove right on by or offered them rides home.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The point is the night-and-day difference between the way the white protesters in the wealthier part of town get an adult conversation and zero violence on their third warning that they are breaking curfew whereas the black protester at Penn and North gets immediate violence in response to passive resistance.

The cop talking to the white protesters said explicitly that he didn't want to arrest any of them. Compare that to the look of glee on the face of the cop dragging the black protester's face across the pavement after the takedown.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/wat...5oZAzi7E.reddit

Now with video.

Edit: police fundraising shirt, actual.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Research suggests that family violence is two to four times higher in the law-enforcement community than in the general population.

That's some loving outrageous numbers, god drat. :stare:

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Here is another good one.

Hidden Camera Catches NYPD Cops Arresting Man For No Reason, “I Don’t Even Know Why we Pulled Him Over”

http://www.surenews.com/controversial/hidden-camera-catches-nypd-cops-arresting-man-for-no-reason-making-up-purpose-for-stopping-him/

All the more reason to buy a dashcam for my car. "What should we charge him with?" bob says as he takes a swig, "I dunno jimbob, make something up."

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

SpeedGem posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/wat...5oZAzi7E.reddit

Now with video.

Just leaving a guy they peppered sprayed on the ground after throwing water on his face seems pretty par for the course on how the BPD treat people in their custody.

Edit: Didn't this shirt come out right after Eric Garner was killed?

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 3, 2015

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fits right in with the fact that cops are twice as likely to rape and five times as likely to murder compared to the average citizen.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Fits right in with the fact that cops are twice as likely to rape and five times as likely to murder compared to the average citizen.

Sounds like we need to do something about Cop Culture.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Applies to firemen and medics, too

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

7c Nickel posted:

Even though I often trot stats like this out to troll, they're disingenuous.

It turns out the police forces are disproportionately young and male. Guess who does most raping and killing?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

It turns out the police forces are disproportionately young and male. Guess who does most raping and killing?

Doesn't make it acceptable.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Enourmo posted:

The other group gets a battalion in riot gear who are hostile from the get-go and react on a hair trigger to any and every perceived disobedience.

The black protesters don't get a chance to disperse before the cops go from "present" to "getting physical".
But if you read the article, the battalion in riot gear did show up to the Hampden protest ten minutes after curfew, but the remaining protesters left rather test them. I'm pretty confident they would have started arresting people if they had stayed. I'd be entirely unsurprised if the police had crowd control units ready to go right at 10 PM in the areas that seen disturbances previous nights, and it is silly to pretend the BPD doesn't have a racism problem, but a 30 second clip of a black man getting arrested and an article about a white protest dispersing before they could get arrested doesn't prove what was claimed. There are a lot more differences between the staged protest in Hampden and what is going on downtown than just the people involved: if the downtown streets cleared as soon as the police started forming up, there would probably be fewer arrests there too.

SpeedGem posted:

Wow, that is awful.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

SpeedGem posted:

Goddamn. This is just savage.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Sounds like a flaw in recruiting strategy.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Melthir posted:

I'm saying that the cops are not dispatched to those as often.

Look at crime stats reported by the police themselves, the people who commit the most crimes total are young white males. If they're learning to be racist because they only interact with black people committing crimes I'd agree, but that's not the reality, they go in racist and their confirmation bias reaffirms their feelings.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sure. But by that metric high schoolers are the worst as well as any male on college.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Sounds like a flaw in recruiting strategy.

You're right cops should recruit more elderly retired women to cut down on rape stats.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Sure. But by that metric high schoolers are the worst as well as any male on college.

According to the crime stats you're right, violent crimes are perpetrated most often by white males between the ages of 16 and 24.

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/scans/bjs/apvsvc.pdf

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

You're right cops should recruit more elderly retired women to cut down on rape stats.

Young women, middle aged men without violent pasts would probably be smart groups to emphasize.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Young women, middle aged men without violent pasts would probably be smart groups to emphasize.

Nah, it sounds better to push my agenda if you say only elderly women should be police officers.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Just leaving a guy they peppered sprayed on the ground after throwing water on his face seems pretty par for the course on how the BPD treat people in their custody.

Edit: Didn't this shirt come out right after Eric Garner was killed?

Yep, it did. :sigh:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

Nah, it sounds better to push my agenda if you say only elderly women should be police officers.

Okay, recruit a few of them just to tag along with the young guys. They don't have to get physical. The young guys just have to look over and see if Nana thinks they are doing the right thing every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But it might nullify the significance.

Anyone have an analysis on those figures handy?

• Locked thread