Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

ElCondemn posted:

According to the crime stats you're right, violent crimes are perpetrated most often by white males between the ages of 16 and 24.

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/scans/bjs/apvsvc.pdf

I know that's why I said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ElCondemn posted:

Nah, it sounds better to push my agenda if you say only elderly women should be police officers.

I specifically chose the least rapey group without suggesting literal child cops.

So if you wanted to quickly offset police sexual assault numbers, hire elderly woman clerical cops.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 3, 2015

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Okay, recruit a few of them just to tag along with the young guys. They don't have to get physical. The young guys just have to look over and see if Nana thinks they are doing the right thing every once in a while.

Depending on the Granny, this might actually make the cops even more racist than they already are

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People from highschool who became LEOs juiced a ton so maybe that has been what's tying in to the family-abuse thing? What age were the perp officers in those numbers?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do curfews work? I've never been anywhere where one was enforced so I'm a bit confused. Do all bars (and clubs, etc) just have to close down by the time curfew starts? What about gas stations? When I was in college I also worked in a lab for research and there were times when I'd end up staying until 10+ pm in the lab alone doing my thing. Am I just not allowed to be outside period after 10pm or something so I'd have to just sleep in my office or get arrested?

The idea of enforced curfews outside of like war or something like seems so weird to me.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Boris Galerkin posted:

Am I just not allowed to be outside period after 10pm or something so I'd have to just sleep in my office or get arrested?
Its this. Its a Martial Law style excuse to abuse anyone who crosses your path outside of arbitrary hours.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Not quite that bad. But still bad.

http://www.baltimorecity.gov/emergency-curfew-20150427

quote:

The night-time curfew applies for all citizens (with exceptions of emergency personnel and those commuting to and from work for essential functions, including students traveling to/from classes)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Protests by Ethiopian Jews against Israeli police brutality and racism broke out in Tel Aviv today.

Police reacted pretty much as expected.

https://twitter.com/rconflictnews/status/594960613496987649

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do curfews work? I've never been anywhere where one was enforced so I'm a bit confused. Do all bars (and clubs, etc) just have to close down by the time curfew starts? What about gas stations? When I was in college I also worked in a lab for research and there were times when I'd end up staying until 10+ pm in the lab alone doing my thing. Am I just not allowed to be outside period after 10pm or something so I'd have to just sleep in my office or get arrested?

The idea of enforced curfews outside of like war or something like seems so weird to me.

Get the gently caress inside at 10PM on the dot or get beat up/arrested with no remorse. Or get a man in a police helicopter yelling at you and threatening you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

I specifically chose the least rapey group without suggesting literal child cops.

So if you wanted to quickly offset police sexual assault numbers, hire elderly woman clerical cops.

You either specifically advertise for violent murderers with "Breathe easy" shirts, or you hire strictly nonagenerians and baby birds as cops. These are the only possible options.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Vahakyla posted:

Applies to firemen and medics, too

Goddammit, really? :( Medics? What the gently caress benevolent institution am I supposed to put my trust in now?

Nonsense posted:

People from highschool who became LEOs juiced a ton so maybe that has been what's tying in to the family-abuse thing? What age were the perp officers in those numbers?

Article said that an older study with generally older and more experienced officers yielded a result of about 2x gen pop, and a more recent study (that I guess skewed younger) yielded 4x.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Public safety jobs have rough hours, lots of stress and emotional scarring. I think that helps with the cocktail. "dude culture" where asking for help is also a sign of weakness.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

You either specifically advertise for violent murderers with "Breathe easy" shirts, or you hire strictly nonagenerians and baby birds as cops. These are the only possible options.

Mm yes that's what I said go on.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah, protesters at Penn and North don't get the "one, two, two and a half...c'mon guys please don't make me bring out the riot cops" treatment. It goes straight to arrest and you're lucky if you're not roughed up first.

Except those protesting from "daddy's little suburb" last night did so specifically to highlight the disparate reaction they knew they'd get from police. Look up #BreakTheCurfew posts on Twitter from last night, they got kid-gloves treatment if the cops even bothered to show up at all. People drank alcohol openly on the sidewalk after curfew and police drove right on by or offered them rides home.

Come on you think they would have done it if they thought they would get the same response as they would in the hood...hell no. As soon as police showed up to play for real the bounced faster than a minority off the hood of a cop car.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

ElCondemn posted:

Look at crime stats reported by the police themselves, the people who commit the most crimes total are young white males. If they're learning to be racist because they only interact with black people committing crimes I'd agree, but that's not the reality, they go in racist and their confirmation bias reaffirms their feelings.

Go on about your in depth knowledge of the inner workings of a police officers mind. So your saying that all those little kids in school that want to become police officers and stick with that dream are really little jackbooted Nazis. Man we can end racism today by just rounding them all up and forcing the people who want to be lawyers and doctors to be cops.

Seriously. No one starts out racist. Its a learned behavior. You find your self on the job thinking this person or that person fits a profile and eventually everyone of that skin color fits that profile. Its a hard thing to fight. Hell it happens to the black cops to.

Yes some racist people join the police. But they generally don't join to be racist they join it to make a difference. It doesn't make there behavior any more acceptable, if anything it makes it worse and truthfully I pitty the people I have seen adopt that mindset.

However its not going away untill we stop haveing neighborhoods that are made up of one or two minority groups and some economic and housing reform...but that's off topic and not talking about how all us law enforcement officers are automatically racist fucks.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

P cool how when you acknowledge protestors demands the protests stop

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
2 people cut down by Texas cops as they drove by an art event.
So far Killed by police is ignoring this, I guess they didn't have there hands up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dahn posted:

So far Killed by police is ignoring this, I guess they didn't have there hands up.

Killed by Police always lists people who were killed in the act of attempted murder. The reason it's not up is because they usually update a day or two after the event occurs.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Melthir posted:

So your saying that all those little kids in school that want to become police officers and stick with that dream are really little jackbooted Nazis.

I'm not saying that, I was just refuting the point that they learn to be racist on the job. If only black people committed crimes it would be clear that non-racists learn to be racist on the job, because that's who they interact with, like you said it happens to everyone (even other blacks!). However if we look at the crime statistic reported by the police, white young males are who they arrest the most. If the job taught them to be racist it's not because they deal with mostly black people, it had to have come from somewhere else.

Melthir posted:

Man we can end racism today by just rounding them all up and forcing the people who want to be lawyers and doctors to be cops.

Not the worst idea I've ever heard...

Melthir posted:

Seriously. No one starts out racist. Its a learned behavior.

I agree, it just so happens that there's a lot of learning going on before they ever even reach the police academy.

Melthir posted:

Yes some racist people join the police. But they generally don't join to be racist they join it to make a difference.

If you believe black people are criminals (or at least more likely to be criminals) wouldn't you think arresting them is making a difference?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Dahn posted:

Are you being sarcastic? Two gunmen drove up to an Islamophobic event, stopped, and opened fire. The bomb squad was later called in to examine the car and the event attendees were evacuated and questioned by the FBI.

The gunmen were killed by police, to be sure, but it's not like we're so short on real unjustified shootings that we have to somehow turn the above into "2 people cut down by Texas cops as they drove by an art event."

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 4, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Are you being sarcastic? Two gunmen drove up to a quasi-Islamophobic event, stopped, and opened fire. The bomb squad was later called in to examine the car and the event attendees were evacuated and questioned by the FBI.

The gunmen were killed by police, to be sure, but it's not like we're so short on real unjustified shootings that we have to somehow turn the above into "2 people cut down by Texas cops as they drove by an art event."

It was run by Pam Geller and Geert Wilders. No need for the 'quasi' there.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

This is going around as the person who claimed responsibility, it seems to predate the actual event by two hours.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Darth Walrus posted:

It was run by Pam Geller and Geert Wilders. No need for the 'quasi' there.

Ick, you're right. Edited.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

DOOMocrat posted:

This is going around as the person who claimed responsibility, it seems to predate the actual event by two hours.

poo poo, the hashtag as if it was already a thing. His great ambition was to trend posthumously.

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 4, 2015

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Cichlid the Loach posted:

poo poo, the hashtag as if it was already a thing. He wanted to trend posthumously on Twitter.

Yeah. Morbid in a disturbingly novel way.

No one but the suspects seem to be critically injured. Garland ISD security guard that was shot got hit in the leg, was patched up and released already. Garland PD press conferences are saying "those people" and going no further, saying all other details are pending investigation. Denying this claim of responsibility for the moment too. For perspective, this is the city King of the Hill was based on. So expect a disturbingly similar local reaction.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

SpeedGem posted:

Here is another good one.

Hidden Camera Catches NYPD Cops Arresting Man For No Reason, “I Don’t Even Know Why we Pulled Him Over”

http://www.surenews.com/controversial/hidden-camera-catches-nypd-cops-arresting-man-for-no-reason-making-up-purpose-for-stopping-him/

All the more reason to buy a dashcam for my car. "What should we charge him with?" bob says as he takes a swig, "I dunno jimbob, make something up."

The police are trapped in a Kafkaesque nightmare, making stops and arrests for reasons incomprehensible to them. Blown from hither to yon by the winds of fate, occasionally they ask "why? Why did we do this? What makes us act this way?"

The answers are not forthcoming. The question is eventually forgotten, lost among a thousand less important questions. Later, an officer involved shooting occurs. No officers were involved.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Murderion posted:

The police are trapped in a Kafkaesque nightmare, making stops and arrests for reasons incomprehensible to them. Blown from hither to yon by the winds of fate, occasionally they ask "why? Why did we do this? What makes us act this way?"

The answers are not forthcoming. The question is eventually forgotten, lost among a thousand less important questions. Later, an officer involved shooting occurs. No officers were involved.

This is loving fabulous.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

DOOMocrat posted:

Yeah. Morbid in a disturbingly novel way.

No one but the suspects seem to be critically injured. Garland ISD security guard that was shot got hit in the leg, was patched up and released already. Garland PD press conferences are saying "those people" and going no further, saying all other details are pending investigation. Denying this claim of responsibility for the moment too. For perspective, this is the city King of the Hill was based on. So expect a disturbingly similar local reaction.

Your thinking of Arlen, Texas. Garland is a rich people part of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

vv Arlen is the name of the town in the show, but you're right about it being made from places and towns he experienced in Texas. (There is no real life Arlen, Texas) vv

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 4, 2015

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Your thinking of Arlen, Texas. Garland is a rich people part of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

I think you mean Arlington. Arlen is the name of the city in the show.

According to Mike Judge its basically a combination of Arlington, Humble, and Richardson

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Murderion posted:

:golfclap: Bravo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Melthir posted:

Seriously. No one starts out racist. Its a learned behavior. You find your self on the job thinking this person or that person fits a profile and eventually everyone of that skin color fits that profile. Its a hard thing to fight. Hell it happens to the black cops to.

Yes some racist people join the police. But they generally don't join to be racist they join it to make a difference. It doesn't make there behavior any more acceptable, if anything it makes it worse and truthfully I pitty the people I have seen adopt that mindset.

However its not going away untill we stop haveing neighborhoods that are made up of one or two minority groups and some economic and housing reform...but that's off topic and not talking about how all us law enforcement officers are automatically racist fucks.

It's a learned behavior, but plenty of people have learned to be racist by the end of high school.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 4, 2015

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Based on personal experiences and anecdotes from a LOT of people in law enforcement, I find myself really trusting this study. It's what happens when you give a bunch of authoritarians power and also access to a good-ol-boys network that will protect their asses. :(

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Melthir posted:

*watches Dinkheller Video 100's of times. Interacts with more white perps than black perps.* "It's the blacks that fit the profile! Even black cops do it too!"

I mean we went over this a few post above yours so not sure what you hoped to gain by saying this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

KiteAuraan posted:

Based on personal experiences and anecdotes from a LOT of people in law enforcement, I find myself really trusting this study. It's what happens when you give a bunch of authoritarians power and also access to a good-ol-boys network that will protect their asses. :(

I assume its a lot like the way boxers and football players tend to have domestic violence at a higher rate. If you spend your livelihood fostering aggression and power it has to be hard to turn that off. I mean, many of the teachers in my life just automatically treat people around them like children when they get home after doing it all day. If you spend the whole day treating people like enemy combatants who may secretly harbor a desire to hurt you than that can't be an easy thing to turn off. It doesn't mean they're all guilty of it or even a majority, but it probably happens more often than with accountants or sales clerks.

And then yeah, the fact that the system routinely protects itself and even if you do commit an act of domestic violence you know its your friends who will get the call about it. That has to empower some people who would normally fear punishment. Its a big part of why I think there's been so much shock from the police community about these Baltimore charges and why so many of them have made claims that its "unfair." I get the sense they really did just expect the system to have their back like it usually does so this whole deal where they're treated the same way any citizen would be has them thrown.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I bet there's a strong link between testosterone levels and the choice to become a cop (or a firefighter).
There's definitely a positive correlation between testosterone levels and violent crime. There's a positive correlation between testosterone and explicit racism too.

Hiring more lady cops is not a bad idea.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

I bet there's a strong link between testosterone levels and the choice to become a cop (or a firefighter).
There's definitely a positive correlation between testosterone levels and violent crime. There's a positive correlation between testosterone and explicit racism too.

Hiring more lady cops is not a bad idea.

I recall something similar being banded about the military: as the military's role goes from killing folks and breaking poo poo to peacekeeping and being intermediaries between conflicting factions, that women soldiers are needed more.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
It seems to me that there's a normal narrative for people becoming police officers.

1. Person wants to become a cop because they want to put bad guys away.
2. Person gets trained to put bad guys away.
3. Police officer sees that most violent/property crime he arrests people for is in [low income] black neighborhoods.
4. Police officer has beer with other police officers, who say "Man, there's a lot of crime in [low income] black neighborhoods.
5. Police officer now sees black neighborhoods as full of bad guys.

Now whenever things happen in a black neighborhood, those people are the bad guys anyway. So you can treat them like the bad guys in a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You can now trade your bitcoins safely!

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/28965119/sc-police-stations-act-as-havens-for-online-buyers-sellers

quote:

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - Some South Carolina law enforcement agencies are offering their parking lots as a safe place to finalize deals made on Craigslist and other online marketplaces.

Officers say they won't get involved in the deals. But officials hope that, by doing the transactions at a police station or sheriff's department, people will be less likely to cut a shady deal - or get violent.

At least two people have been killed in South Carolina when online transactions went wrong. In 2013, two men were charged with murder after authorities said they killed a Charleston man they met because he was selling his truck on Craigslist.

Last year, two men were charged with murder for arranging to meet two brothers to buy a car in Lexington County, then killing one of them.

• Locked thread