Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Anyone else watching Tour "de" Yorkshire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah, the main thing I'm noticing is there's bloody loads of people out there watching. Also Sky are being massive tryhards.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Vando posted:

Yeah, the main thing I'm noticing is there's bloody loads of people out there watching. Also Sky are being massive tryhards.

Been watching it as well. Didn't go to it as had a busy weekend, but I know many friends who have gone today.

Organisers and Police are estimating around 1.5 Million people watching it on the roads. If anything it shows Yorkshire / Northern Britain needs a proper high level road race as this level of support is absurd.

ukle fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 3, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

ukle posted:

Been watching it as well. Didn't go to it as had a busy weekend, but I know many friends who have gone today.

Organisers and Police are estimating around 1.5 Million people watching it on the roads. If anything it shows Yorkshire / Northern Britain needs a proper high level road race as this level of support is absurd.

Lets see if it will last, the US had a lot of interest due to Lance that flamed out pretty quick

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

African AIDS cum posted:

Lets see if it will last, the US had a lot of interest due to Lance that flamed out pretty quick

I guess it depends on if anyone is revealed as massive doping shitheads.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I don't think it's sustainable, I'd very much like to be wrong though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Vando posted:

"if"

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

"revealed" :ssh:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Was a good race and the ASO does the best job, lets hope it continues and can help the sport grow from grassroots in England instead of just 40 year old golfers buying rapha poo poo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Vando posted:

Mainstream America didn't really tune out cycling because of doping rumors while Lance was still racing. They just lost interest.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

African AIDS cum posted:

People have a lot less distance to travel to watch a bike race in Britain than in the states. Also, not being American does wonders for the attention span

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gibbo posted:

People have a lot less distance to travel to watch a bike race in Britain than in the states. Also, not being American does wonders for the attention span

Nah

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also we have all the track nerds winning gold medals, that really makes the nationalist crowd buy in

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Vando posted:

Also we have all the track nerds winning gold medals, that really makes the nationalist crowd buy in

Not since london

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Laura Trott hasn't been doing too bad for herself since the games tbh. Not got the same marketing clout Victoria Pendleton had.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Swiss tv already asking "with the Russian connection, is the win credible".

Has he ever shown this sort of promise before? I mean I know its only the tour of Romandie and they wouldn't be giving it full gas, but he dicked on Majka, Quintana, Uran, Nibali and Froome yesterday. Never heard of the lad before he went off the front.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Russian Nats ITT champ, 9th in Basque and he'd already served a 2 doping ban before his 23rd birthday so nothing to worry about.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Russian Nats ITT champ, 9th in Basque and he'd already served a 2 doping ban before his 23rd birthday so nothing to worry about.

About what I figured then.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

http://www.leblogtvnews.com/2015/05/reportage-dans-stade-2-se-doper-pour-lutter-contre-le-dopage.html

French report, took 8 athletes, put them on an HGH and EPO micro-dose program for 4 weeks big gains in performance and passed all drug tests administered.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Pocket posted:

Laura Trott hasn't been doing too bad for herself since the games tbh. Not got the same marketing clout Victoria Pendleton had.

Which I really don't understand. Trott is WAY CUTER, both physically and just in how she interviews. I'd figured that would help with marketing.

Britain also has the Revolution series and actual racing on their velodromes, and key point, beer. Catch the tube to the velodrome(Making this poo poo up, I have no idea where the velo even is), get loaded and watch people bike in circles. It's like Nascar but with spandex and techno music. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pocket posted:

Hahahaha. The new normal.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gibbo posted:

Which I really don't understand. Trott is WAY CUTER, both physically and just in how she interviews. I'd figured that would help with marketing.

Britain also has the Revolution series and actual racing on their velodromes, and key point, beer. Catch the tube to the velodrome(Making this poo poo up, I have no idea where the velo even is), get loaded and watch people bike in circles. It's like Nascar but with spandex and techno music. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

Trott does the omnium though rather then sprinting and she isn't as dominant as queen Vic was. Its like how a heptathlete is never going to have the same pull as a 100m star

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Pocket posted:

http://www.leblogtvnews.com/2015/05/reportage-dans-stade-2-se-doper-pour-lutter-contre-le-dopage.html

French report, took 8 athletes, put them on an HGH and EPO micro-dose program for 4 weeks big gains in performance and passed all drug tests administered.

Not a surprise at all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gibbo posted:

Tastes being subjective and all that, Pendleton seems to have the edge in the looks department.

Onto important stuff --
@xavierdisley's hour record pace comparo with Dowsett:

He should really smooth out the data some more, for this kind of comparison.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Tastes being subjective and all that, Pendleton seems to have the edge in the looks department.

Pendleton is magazine attractive and requires a thick layer of professionally applied makeup. She looked absolutely horrid after an effort. Trott is the girl you actually talk to at the party / post ride coffee, and post effort looks... basically exactly the same, just red.

Jo Rowsell is the one you end up going home with because she's got the crazy eyes you just couldn't say no to.

Charts: Holy poo poo those last laps.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 4, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

This is getting a lot of traction from the riders. Basically calling the passport worthless now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

serious gaylord posted:

This is getting a lot of traction from the riders. Basically calling the passport worthless now.

Anyone with half a clue has long worked out the passport can be gotten around and it's quite clear microdosing cant be caught by any detection method.

Really interesting tho that microdosing does have quite a pronounced effect. Wonder if it has much health consequences as large dosing regimes have?

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I'd imagine that the health risks of microdosing would be smaller than those of a maximum dose doping program just due to basic pharmacodynamics. It might encourage more people to try risky experimental substances if they perceive microdosing to be insufficient, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Basically calling the passport worthless now.

Continuing to run it would force everyone onto microdosing, and bust the remaining idiots who radically alter their programs. It beats nothing, but maybe it's not worth the price of running.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Tyler Hamilton describes the shift to microdosing in his book and I always thought the bio-passport was just to enforce the microdosing "truce" levels of dope.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What I take from this report is that Astana must be run by complete idiots to get caught.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I guess although the gains are pretty decent we can hope its not quite the same as slamming 2 units before a GT like they used to and in general makes it more of a pain in the arse to the rider

Disappointing but I'm not sure getting rid of the passport is the solution. The real worry is WADA's reaction to this who've come out and said this study is unhelpful shows they want sport to look clean rather then actually be clean.

This was actually known about in 2011 but rather then continue to innovate they've sat around and hope no one noticed.

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 5, 2015

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I guess although the gains are pretty decent we can hope its not quite the same as slamming 2 units before a GT like they used to and in general makes it more of a pain in the arse to the rider

Disappointing but I'm not sure getting rid of the passport is the solution. The real worry is WADA's reaction to this who've come out and said this study is unhelpful shows they want sport to look clean rather then actually be clean.

This was actually known about in 2011 but rather then continue to innovate they've sat around and hope no one noticed.

Are there any clear avenues they haven't taken for improving the current system? Or are people just generally frustrated that it's more of a standardized amount of doping rather than enforcement of a ban?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I think it's worse than what this reportage shows. This was just 8 people a tv show doped conservatively and "responsibly" with probably a very small budget. Pros have much deeper pockets and powerful motivations, they will be looking for optimised micro-dosing programs designed by top doping doctors. With a good drug regime they can leverage their training hours more efficiently, during the off season they won't see a tester if they go "altitude training" so can even ramp it up. When it comes to getting race ready use Clen and Aicar to drop the body fat without losing power. As depressing as it seems we are probably not far off in terms of performance gain than the old style which really lacked in sophistication compared to the array of substances available now. Now it costs a ridiculous sum to play a very precise game which also requires the assistance of the team.

It's worth mentioning recent ascent times have been besting known dirty riders of old.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well the times up climbs are creeping back up to the 90's greatest hits. I think we all knew they're all on stuff, but just don't want to admit it really.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Giro starts this weekend yo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Contador will walk it. Porte will promise much but ultimately fail once again. Aru will slam a double bag of o neg the night of the Mortirolo and still get dropped.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Tour of California starts soon too, Women on Friday and men on Sunday.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Tour of California starts soon too, Women on Friday and men on Sunday.

The route looks horrible as always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'd like to formally apologize for all the baby formula jokes I made about van Avermaet.