Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dolash posted:

The Democratic field is a little thin this time around, but are there any other potential candidates who might try for a Quixotic progressive run or will Bernie remain the home for left-wing Democrats who want to make a point in the primary before voting Lesser Evil in the general? I'm assuming most of the more moderate candidates are more interested in biding their time and running when a giant like Hillary isn't in play. I can't imagine a more conservative/centrist Dem would be interested in running to Hillary's right and trying to press her the way Bernie will be from the left, Hillary probably already has the support of that wing of the party locked up.

Let's round up the other Democratic ambitiousness this cycle:

Jay Nixon is a perfect centrist with a tough-on-blacks demeanor. His only hope is that riots continue to spread throughout summer and that America begins to sour on substantive dialogue on the structural inequalities which inflict our political system.

Rahm Emanuel has a record of progressivism which Hillary, with her whole reset button and foreign contribution gaffes, could never hope to match.

Martin O'Malley is a Jay Nixon-like centrist with contrapositive stances towards race relations in America. He's the pick you make if riots continue throughout summer and the national rhetoric continued to focus on structural inequality in American politics.

Joe Biden is the greatest Vice President America has seen, with an emphasis on the Vice. He's everything good about Hillary, without the baggage of her foreign policy failures. He's a man who calls it like it is, and for that, he is one of our world's greatest experts on all areas of foreign policy, especially those applicable to terrorism and Turkey. Unfortunately, perhaps due to his various vices, Biden is a cautious player and far too likely to jump into the primary too late for serious contention.

Bernie Sanders is like Barney Frank, except...not Barney. He probably is very pro maple syrup and cheddar, and would support expanding food stamps to cover Vermont Cheddar as his solution to the potential '15-'16 "summer of riots." I read his entrance in the race a real 'gently caress you' to Biden's potential to be a true American leader and lead our nation on a better path.

Hillary...she needs no words. She's been refusing to make hard choices so far and has gone with the easy stances such as funding of police bodycams. The longer she stays without a known stance on a hard issue, the better a position she'll be in to ride the winds of public opinion. In the fall, she's likely to have to choose between shoring up her opinion with middle-class whites by backing Nixon's rhetoric, or appealing to all-but-upper-class African Americans by going with O'Malley's rhetoric.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Honestly if Bernie doesn't win the primaries I'm going full accelerationist and voting a straight R in the general.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Under the vegetable posted:

Honestly if Bernie doesn't win the primaries I'm going full accelerationist and voting a straight R in the general.

Vote D, straight D, and write in Rahm.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

good for you :effort:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Karnegal posted:

I'm not sure what you mean.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Bernie has a significant chance to win the nomination and presidency. This reminds me of when people thought Obama had no chance, when anyone with eyes and a brain knew he was the next POTUS the second he entered the race.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bernie has a significant chance to win the nomination and presidency.

I guess he's polling above 5% so this is technically true.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bernie has a significant chance to win the nomination and presidency. This reminds me of when people thought Obama had no chance, when anyone with eyes and a brain knew he was the next POTUS the second he entered the race.

bernie has one thousandth the charm or charisma campaign obama had.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Karnegal posted:

Yeah, let's embrace defeatism and vote for a despicable status quo candidate instead, because we need our vote to matter!

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

White male Democrat spotted.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Poe's law is a pain.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Gen. Ripper posted:

If I voted for the next potential candidate who I most agree with, Jill Stein, it would accomplish the same thing, so I might as well be honest about the endgame.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gen. Ripper posted:

if u no vote hillary u sexist white male who b white and male and sexist

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

bernie has one thousandth the charm or charisma campaign obama had.

He also has one thousandth the amount of empty promises/lies campaign Obama had.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bernie Sanders isn't so popular that everyone in the United States knows who he is. Hillary Clinton has huge recognition, whether that's a good or a bad thing I dunno. I don't see him winning the nomination.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Wow, first black president! He's saying all the right things! He's got such a nice smile! I only wish there was any evidence he actually believed the stuff he's saying!

vs

Wow, this guy's been saying the same poo poo for 30 years and now he's running for president on that platform, I never thought that would happen!

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

if u no vote hillary u sexist white male who b white and male and sexist

If you seriously advocate accelerationism you're probably a white male piece of poo poo who has never had to deal with a day of the hardship the poor and minorities face in this country, because otherwise you wouldn't advocate letting the people will make those problems even worse win.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Hollismason posted:

Bernie Sanders isn't so popular that everyone in the United States knows who he is. Hillary Clinton has huge recognition, whether that's a good or a bad thing I dunno. I don't see him winning.

Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015
Here we go: Ben Carson is announcing in the morning!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bernie Sanders is not going to win the Presidential Nomination.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Gen. Ripper posted:

If you seriously advocate accelerationism you're probably a white male piece of poo poo who has never had to deal with a day of the hardship the poor and minorities face in this country, because otherwise you wouldn't advocate letting the people will make those problems even worse win.

Like I said, If I voted for the next potential candidate who I most agree with, Jill Stein, it would accomplish the same thing as voting Republican, so I might as well be honest about the endgame. I still vote as left as possible in all local elections, which is kind of what really matters. I can only hope all of you also vote in local elections and midterms if you actually care as much about the future of the country as you let on.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gen. Ripper posted:

poor Americans

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If I voted for the next potential candidate who I most agree with, Jill Stein, it would accomplish the same thing, so I might as well be honest about the endgame.
This seems dumb under both theories of how to vote.

If you feel - as you're saying - that voting for someone other than the Democrat contributes to the success of the Republican, then you're just straight up supporting the Republican at that point, and I'm sure they appreciate your support for turning the poor into bombs to drop on Iranian housing projects.

If you feel that you should vote for the person who best represents your interests, period, you would instead vote for Stein in that situation.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let's round up the other Democratic ambitiousness this cycle:

Jay Nixon is a perfect centrist with a tough-on-blacks demeanor. His only hope is that riots continue to spread throughout summer and that America begins to sour on substantive dialogue on the structural inequalities which inflict our political system.

Rahm Emanuel has a record of progressivism which Hillary, with her whole reset button and foreign contribution gaffes, could never hope to match.

Martin O'Malley is a Jay Nixon-like centrist with contrapositive stances towards race relations in America. He's the pick you make if riots continue throughout summer and the national rhetoric continued to focus on structural inequality in American politics.

Joe Biden is the greatest Vice President America has seen, with an emphasis on the Vice. He's everything good about Hillary, without the baggage of her foreign policy failures. He's a man who calls it like it is, and for that, he is one of our world's greatest experts on all areas of foreign policy, especially those applicable to terrorism and Turkey. Unfortunately, perhaps due to his various vices, Biden is a cautious player and far too likely to jump into the primary too late for serious contention.

Bernie Sanders is like Barney Frank, except...not Barney. He probably is very pro maple syrup and cheddar, and would support expanding food stamps to cover Vermont Cheddar as his solution to the potential '15-'16 "summer of riots." I read his entrance in the race a real 'gently caress you' to Biden's potential to be a true American leader and lead our nation on a better path.

Hillary...she needs no words. She's been refusing to make hard choices so far and has gone with the easy stances such as funding of police bodycams. The longer she stays without a known stance on a hard issue, the better a position she'll be in to ride the winds of public opinion. In the fall, she's likely to have to choose between shoring up her opinion with middle-class whites by backing Nixon's rhetoric, or appealing to all-but-upper-class African Americans by going with O'Malley's rhetoric.

You know MIGF, I used to think you were just a shallow idiot, but posts like this prove that beneath that there's a shallowness I'd never imagined could exist.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Go outside and speak with someone and ask them if they know who Bernie Sanders is. Then ask if they know who Hillary Clinton is.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
gently caress Clinton, Sanders owns

peace

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

:qq:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
listen here white dude *literally cannot think of a worse insult*

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Nessus posted:

This seems dumb under both theories of how to vote.

If you feel - as you're saying - that voting for someone other than the Democrat contributes to the success of the Republican, then you're just straight up supporting the Republican at that point, and I'm sure they appreciate your support for turning the poor into bombs to drop on Iranian housing projects.

If you feel that you should vote for the person who best represents your interests, period, you would instead vote for Stein in that situation.

If you feel that the Democratic candidate in this hypothetical scenario isn't just as happy about dropping weaponized poors on Iranian nuclear families, I have to say that also kind of seems dumb to me. Voting for the candidate who best represents my interests in the general election, where she will, at best, recieve 5% of the vote, is meaningless.

I'm not actually an accelerationist though and have to admit my claim that I'd vote Republican out of spite was a joke.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good substantive posts. Thanks for contributing.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Hollismason posted:

Go outside and speak with someone and ask them if they know who Bernie Sanders is. Then ask if they know who Hillary Clinton is.

I have, and they mostly do, and are already claiming they plan to vote for him. The ones who did not know who he is have been informed by me and many of them seem positive about his prospects.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The stupid always comes out.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I will only vote Republican if Rand Paul wins the nomination. I think he has a great platform and his record in the senate is inspiring.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

They're completely correct, go cry to your college communist group about it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's kind of gauche to announce your own arrival, unless you're the Road Dogg and "Bad rear end" Billy Gunn.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
It's really loving hilarious how the liberal elite leftists that benefit most from Hillary Clinton's focus on the middle and upper classes use "you don't care about the ~*poor and minorities*~" as a cudgel against actual marginalized people

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

excellent username/post combo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Series DD Funding posted:

While you vote for somebody who is equally toxic, but hides it behind a fake smile and flavor-of-the-day pointless issues.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Segmentation Fault posted:

excellent username/post combo

Watch out, you're talking to fishmech. This isn't just some random D&D extra you're dealing with here. Tread carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Series DD Funding posted:

This lifetime rich white man backed by banks and corporations is the worst ever and will kill our country! This lifetime rich white woman backed by banks and corporations, however, is a shining light of progress.

• Locked thread