Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
japanese dbz is trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Having the same voice for baby Goku and father Goku is downright disturbing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

To me, the funimation dub ARE their voices. Period. Anything else just sounds bad/weird/like a grandma doing the voice a huge man for some reason.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

japanese dbz is trash

japanese true voice supremacy

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

To me, the funimation dub ARE their voices. Period. Anything else just sounds bad/weird/like a grandma doing the voice a huge man for some reason.

Only exception for me is Drummond's Vegeta from the Ocean dub, I think it fits his heel arcs a lot better before he goes all NOBLE WARRIOR PRINCE after the Frieza saga.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I speak English, so I listen to the English voices. It's not really more complex than that, personally.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

projecthalaxy posted:

I speak English, so I listen to the English voices. It's not really more complex than that, personally.

Some people don't want to wait months for a dub.

I mean normally this wouldn't be an issue with DBZ but since Buu arc of Kai is still Japanese only and now they'll be putting out a new series soon it's kind of relevant again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Abridged Vegeta is best Vegeta, can't really decide which of the Funimation, Ocean Group, or Abridged voices works best for Krillin or Piccolo though(Ocean Piccolo is just so deliciously angry about everything)

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ocean Piccolo and Vegeta are complete garbage.

I don't really have an opinion on the other voices. I think Goku's Japanese voice is pretty cool, but I like the Funi dub's as well. I just really don't like the Faulconer score at all.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

do we have any actual details about Dragon Ball Super yet? or just vague 'toriyama wrote the plot' stuff

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I have always hated Japanese Goku and when I found out they have her play the whole family I was even more baffled. Who the hell thinks that's good casting?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Kelp Plankton posted:

do we have any actual details about Dragon Ball Super yet? or just vague 'toriyama wrote the plot' stuff

Would also like to know this.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If there was something we'd be talking about it.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I guess I'm in the minority in this thread but Japanese DBZ is the poo poo and I just found out funimation has the entire thing streaming with subtitles and I'm stoked on it. I hate the English dub. I grew up on both. Toonami was on after school, which was cool. My best friend moved to the states around the same time and brought Japanese VHS with him so I was exposed to both and always preferred the Japanese. Masako Nozawa is a treasure and I take offense to anyone who hates Goku's Japanese voice.

Toy chat from a few pages ago: I also found an Android 16 at my local Barnes and Noble. Marked at $61.95 which is about what it's going for online. Used a mother's day coupon and took 15% off which made it worthwhile. This is my first figuarts and I'm already hooked. Pre-ordered the re-release of teen Gohan so he'll have a buddy and I imagine I'll go further down the rabbit hole after that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kelp Plankton posted:

Nope.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

japanese goku is awful and anyone that likes it should be shot in the head imo

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I think Nozawa is fine when Goku's given calmer, or at least less shout-y lines. Her shouts and screams on the other hand... not my cup of tea.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Whenever I hear a clip of Japanese Goku I am honestly surprised DBZ is popular at all there with a main character that sounds so bad/weird and is impossible to take seriously.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Genocyber posted:

japanese goku is awful and anyone that likes it should be shot in the head imo
RIP Japanese people

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Can't wait for the 900 year old dread lich that voices Japanese Goku to croak a year into the new show and we get to see the entire Son family quickly written off since Japan's super weird about VA's.

Dragon Ball Super: Starring Vegeta and Piccolo.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Then Piccolo can be main character, which is what everyone really wants anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Piccolo will still do nothing of note.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dragon Ball Super: Starring Vegeta and Piccolo.

All we ever wanted

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Maybe they will find a way to give Piccolo another power boost. Didn't one of the games had him wish back King Piccolo so he could merge with him and get crazy powerful?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Rirse posted:

Maybe they will find a way to give Piccolo another power boost. Didn't one of the games had him wish back King Piccolo so he could merge with him and get crazy powerful?

In a surprise reversal of fortune, he will undergo grueling months of training in the wilderness under Gohan.

Piccolo will be too scared to jump down from the hill.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.
Why doesn't Japanese Raditz sound like a grandma? Did he get his voice from his mom instead?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I bet if most you all grew up on grandma Goku, you'd say her voice-acting was "endearing" and "captures the character perfectly" and you'd dismiss other interpretations as "good attempts, but missing the soul".

Why do I say this as a fact? Because ya'll do it with everything else, it's kinda silly (or at least of you do, without missing a beat)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

To a degree that's probably true, but I can also go back to the Ocean dub and old Funi material and point out stuff I think is complete trash in hindsight. It's not a blindingly powerful drug.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

*Cell absorbs android 18 and finally reaches his perfect form*

*japanese soundtrack swells with the sound of a clown nose honking*

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

*grandma goku screams for 3 hours and unveils a level beyond super saiyan 2*

*sound of cat mewling can be faintly heard in the background*

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

*enraged by the death of his best friend kuririn, grandma goku transforms into the legenday super saiyan for the first time*

*you hear the soft click of the play button on a tape recorder, followed by the sound of a slinky slowly falling down a set of stairs*

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ruggington posted:

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I've never heard dub Broly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mordaedil posted:

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I bet if most you all grew up on grandma Goku, you'd say her voice-acting was "endearing" and "captures the character perfectly" and you'd dismiss other interpretations as "good attempts, but missing the soul".

Why do I say this as a fact? Because ya'll do it with everything else, it's kinda silly (or at least of you do, without missing a beat)

I hate the old Funi dub and would rather listen to that than the loving Japanese DBZ. I have no love for the old DBZ dub with the possible exception of Kyle Hebert being the goofy rear end narrator and the Faulconer music.

Bacontotem posted:

I've never heard dub Broly.

Vic Mignogna is a hell of a drug

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Ruggington posted:

Well, now that you mention it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X68AS2gYWN0

edit:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

japan dub bros, lets gather our ki to use a genki dama to purge these filthy scrubs

\o/

I do agree though that Granny Goku's family is lovely and that I'm used to the lovely, but everything else is better for me.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Oh my god, I never noticed the guy on fire on the floor before now. He's actually happy about being on fire. :psyduck:

Beef Waifu posted:

I hate the old Funi dub and would rather listen to that than the loving Japanese DBZ. I have no love for the old DBZ dub with the possible exception of Kyle Hebert being the goofy rear end narrator and the Faulconer music.

I'm not saying you or anyone else is wrong for liking what you do, or that things necessarily would be different, but it's a trend I notice where first exposure does tend to stick unless something better in the same comes along.

There are a lot of good dubbed shows out there, but that doesn't stop a lot of anime fans from saying "subs are better, unless it is DBZ", which is highly subjective.

Berserk, Slayers, Ouran High School Host Club all did pretty drat well with their material. (but maybe the bloopers were what sold me on those)

I just don't see them getting the same recognition.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Oh my god, I never noticed the guy on fire on the floor before now. He's actually happy about being on fire. :psyduck:

I'm not saying you or anyone else is wrong for liking what you do, or that things necessarily would be different, but it's a trend I notice where first exposure does tend to stick unless something better in the same comes along.

There are a lot of good dubbed shows out there, but that doesn't stop a lot of anime fans from saying "subs are better, unless it is DBZ", which is highly subjective.

I think you're conflating anime fans with weeaboos that think listening to a language they can't understand makes them cool. They're automatically dumb and suck as people.

That being said, yeah it really is subjective. There are a lot of subbed series and actors I like because they manage to put a lot more depth and emotion into their lines. Then there's poo poo like Grandma Goku Family where it's just really off-putting for the meatiest, bulkiest, rear end-stompingest men to exist being voiced by what is very obviously a shrill grandma. Children are voiced by women the world over, but American media doesn't have the quirk where they absolutely refuse to change VAs for a character unless the original literally drops dead. Even if that character is a young boy who ages 30 years over the course of the story. Drives me up a wall in One Piece too, since it takes DB as an inspiration Luffy has a shrieking grandma as a voice actor when literally every post-puberty male in his peer group is voiced by an actual man and there's absolutely no reason why a 19 y/o fight man would be cast by a woman.

That being said DBZ has a really fantastic dub even if they shoehorned Falcouner's music way too hard. It really does get old pretty quickly and the comment about how they never stopped playing music is absolutely true. The Buu arc in particular has some of my favorite music, especially Goku going SSJ3, that absolutely blows the Japanese scenes out of the water. A lot of the DB music absolutely doesn't fit how tense the situations get in DBZ.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 4, 2015

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Japanese music and voices actually fit the tone of the manga, what with being the soundtrack to the animated version of it. US music and voices fit the tone of "WWE wrestling with giant golden hair" that US DBZ was going for. The only reason people like the mind-numbing Faulconer score is because it has been burnt into their brains through hundreds of hours of repetition over awesome scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Spidder posted:

Japanese music and voices actually fit the tone of the manga, what with being the soundtrack to the animated version of it. US music and voices fit the tone of "WWE wrestling with giant golden hair" that US DBZ was going for. The only reason people like the mind-numbing Faulconer score is because it has been burnt into their brains through hundreds of hours of repetition over awesome scenes.

Slightly burnt. Ill give you that much.

Thunderbro posted:

That being said DBZ has a really fantastic dub even if they shoehorned Falcouner's music way too hard. It really does get old pretty quickly and the comment about how they never stopped playing music is absolutely true. The Buu arc in particular has some of my favorite music, especially Goku going SSJ3, that absolutely blows the Japanese scenes out of the water. A lot of the DB music absolutely doesn't fit how tense the situations get in DBZ.

Its funny how the two different musical soundtracks have similar yet opposite problems. Japanese music needs to know when to ramp up the score, American needs to know when to calm down or let silence do the talking! :haw:

• Locked thread