Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
I really haven't been paying attention to the show and usually just have it on for background noise as i'm multitasking, but what was the explanation for the lack of bodies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There isn't one, because it isn't important.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oh yeah, I guess I was wrong about that, I think I read something one of the creators said at one point but there was nothing in the actual show.
My only point about that anyway was that the show is really not so dark for a show about the post-apocalypse as everyone seems to keep asserting it is.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

sky shark posted:

I really haven't been paying attention to the show and usually just have it on for background noise as i'm multitasking, but what was the explanation for the lack of bodies?

I bet New Phil Millier didn't show up earlier because he was too busy giving all of humanity (on North America, anyway) a proper burial. He's such a nice fellow!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

raditts posted:

they even came up with a contrivance for why there aren't bodies everywhere after a virus that eradicated the population.

They did?

EDIT: ^^^beat^^^

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gynovore posted:

They did?

EDIT: ^^^beat^^^

The virus turned everyone who died to it to dust.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Maybe it wasn't a virus, but actually a comet.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's pretty contrived, but I guess a comedy show is allowed liberties.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

Maybe it wasn't a virus, but actually a comet.

Night of the Comet!

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

I caught up on the show and the last couple episodes have been much better. Looking forward to seeing how Tandy and Todd handle Phil.

Have they said what month it is? Seems like come summer they're really going to be rethinking living in Arizona.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Chernobyl Prize posted:

I caught up on the show and the last couple episodes have been much better. Looking forward to seeing how Tandy and Todd handle Phil.

Have they said what month it is? Seems like come summer they're really going to be rethinking living in Arizona.

The pilot said Novemberish. Tandy lost track of the date

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Thankfully New Phil pointed out that living in Arizona is single stupidest place to live.

Just in general, not even after the apocalypse.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Definitely think the show has picked up since the divorce. I hope they can make it work.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
Well, I think this season was at best uneven and mostly wasted the premise, but that ending was a real punch in the balls.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, after the first couple of episodes the show really felt like they were just making it up as they went along, and that ending... it was not a very good ending.
Despite the second season hook I'd be okay with the show not coming back, because by the end I didn't like any of the characters at all. I imagine if there were a second season, they'd come up for some reason to put them all back in a boring-rear end cul-de-sac in Tucson.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 4, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I loved the ending.

For one thing, I didn't see it coming. I've been waiting for Jason Sudeikis's cameo for so long that until I saw it, I honestly forgot that it was supposed to happen... and the cameo wasn't just some stupid flashback. Also, new Phil is hyper-competent, and with his military and survivalist background, I'm not surprised in the least that as soon as he'd figured out that at least one guy there wanted to kill him, he removed the clearly insane person from the equation. In many ways, New Phil's actions are completely plausible.

Has anyone else noticed that most of the additional characters were credited as guest stars? They could well have Season 2 somewhere else entirely, and since everyone alive is probably headed for Tuscon, we might not see other characters for a while. As for the cul-de-sac crew, we could see them again next time it's sweeps. (That's what they call spring cleaning in England.)

I still see a lot of potential for the show. And for anyone who's upset that they didn't stick with just one character for the whole season, please tell me: just how could that have been interesting for an entire season?

Also, if Sudeikis is Phil's brother, that just intensifies what a loser he is. One brother is an astronaut, and the other had a fine career as a temp. That is sublimely failuretastic. That's Venture Brothers-caliber failure, that is.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
That was a fantastic season finale.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
It was a fantastic series finale, but a mediocre season finale. LMOE manages to join Glee on the list of Fox shows that should have ended after thirteen episodes but didn't.

I'm fully open to being wrong about this later but the way the writing flailed during the midpoint I'm not holding my breath.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
This show started out really good and then got really bad in an upsetting and offputting way. It's already been renewed for a second season, but I won't watch the second season unless I hear that it got better again or got bad in an entertaining way

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mo0 posted:

It was a fantastic series finale, but a mediocre season finale.

Feel the same way. I think next season may be Carol and Phil on a road trip for a few episodes, but they'll eventually wind up back in the cul-de-sac in Tucson, no doubt with more new survivors who followed the "alive in Tucson" signs and find that new Phil has all the house hooked up with running water and electricity by then.

As for Phil's brother, well, he's hosed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CaveGrinch posted:

That was a fantastic season finale.

I'm with this guy.

You Are A Elf posted:

He quite probably is not.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

Feel the same way. I think next season may be Carol and Phil on a road trip for a few episodes, but they'll eventually wind up back in the cul-de-sac in Tucson, no doubt with more new survivors who followed the "alive in Tucson" signs and find that new Phil has all the house hooked up with running water and electricity by then.

Based off the end part of the finale, I'd bet they're headed to Houston.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

PittTheElder posted:

There is no way they can get Phil's brother back to Earth without completely destroying any possible suspension of disbelief.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I stopped watching weeks ago but watched the finale tonight.

I am totally and completely okay with this show being just Carol and Phil again, with the goal of getting Phil's brother down from space. But I really doubt that's what'll happen soooo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

There is no way they can get Phil's brother back to Earth without completely destroying any possible suspension of disbelief.

He hops in his Soyuz, reprograms it to land in the continental US, done.

It would be among the less ridiculous conceits the show relies on (without issue).

SoupyTwist posted:

Based off the end part of the finale, I'd bet they're headed to Houston.

:agreed:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

This series should have been 4 episodes long. 1,2,12,13. Those were the only good episodes.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PittTheElder posted:

For now, anyhow. They won't get to Phil's bro right away, but I'm not some goon who wants realism in a post-apocalyptic TV world and who says that there is no way for him to return to Earth. Bro probably lived off the bodies of the dead Earth populace we've never seen somehow.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

If he's the only person currently in the ISS, he's most assuredly able to pilot the Soyuz that's attached to it at all times. He's following protocol - remaining on station as long as his supplies/air hold out in the event of a loss of contact with no reason. The ISS is constantly 'falling' (the rotating solar panels actually cause a modicum of drag which exacerbates the issue) which requires fuel to be flown up to it to keep the stabilizing thrusters fed and working. Only thing is, you'd want to aim for the flattest and largest expanse of land you could find - which is why they routinely drop them into Kazakhstan. Trying to land in the midwest US without accurate weather readings would be kind of a bad idea.

All that sperging aside, though - I've a feeling Phil Mk2 isn't going to give Carol up that easily.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 4, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He'll be balls deep in Cougar town before sunset.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

This series should have been 4 episodes long. 1,2,12,13. Those were the only good episodes.

When I first heard about this show ages ago I was super pumped; to get this kind of show made at all is pretty crazy and I feel like they must have pitched the beginning & ending (which was really well done) while kind of hand-waving the detail in the middle - but I still liked the whole thing, even though it could have been tighter around the middle (I blame the fats)

I'm going to allow myself to get super pumped for season 2 because Will Forte is great and Kristen Schaal is great and I believe the great premise can still live up to that

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

He'll be balls deep in Cougar town before sunset.

He already was, and he picked Carol, despite Gail and Erica throwing themselves at him. Hopefully he'll hunt for Carol just for conflict's sake, thinking maybe 'Tandy' kidnapped her when she went out to give him more supplies.

Despite the 'reboot' angle feeling really contrived and convenient, at least they've got another shot at a good start for the second first season, and for the first time in his probably meaningless life, Phil Tandy Miller has a bonafide *enemy* on Earth. Not just a guy whom he doesn't like at work, but an actual *enemy*, and both see the other as the villain.

But seeing as everyone except Kristen Schall and Will Forte were given "Special Guest Star" tags, it's more likely they'll just start from complete scratch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Season 2 reboot, moving to vancouver for the weed. Highjinx with bears and salmon, some sick north shore mtb scenes.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
A good finale, and I liked Carol's reasoning. I expect New Phil will realize what Carol did, but at the same time unless he has some kind of tracking device on Carol's car (which I would put down as extremely unlikely but theoretically not impossible), he has no way to find her or Phil, and I expect would fairly quickly rebound to the other women there. I mostly liked the whole Tucson crew, but since most people didn't I'm fine with a soft reboot and a road trip. There's a lot of cool stuff we can see on the road that we haven't seen just hanging out in Tucson. I'd put my money down on them finding someone heading toward Tucson early in season 2, and Phil and Carol make it sound like a horrible Mad Max style pit of despair and get that person (or persons) to travel with them. I was expecting a redemption to Phil's lying, but his lies and actions getting him driven out of town and then him continuing to lie but having Carol lie along with him would be a fun development. I mean, knowing this show the first person they find will be an attractive woman, but I'm hopeful that they don't retread that ground, or at least show some growth in Phil by not having him distance himself from Carol after she made the really bad move of leaving Tucson with him.

Anyway, lets hit that reset button and get back to business! Houston actually sounds like a sensible destination to me, assuming Phil knows his brother's an astronaut. I would think he would also have known he was on the ISS, maybe he just didn't have the drive to go out to try to contact him until now?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

NowonSA posted:

A good finale, and I liked Carol's reasoning.

When Phil jumped Tandy, Carol yelled that Phil called a truce. No one else raised a finger to stop Phil. Did everyone lie to Carol, say truce or did Phil do rouge and no one intervened? Did Phil lie and deny he left him in a dessert to die, or did the rest of the cul-de-sac have no objections with leaving a man to die?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You could tell that Todd knew Phil was going to attack him based on his facial expressions.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

PassTheRemote posted:

When Phil jumped Tandy, Carol yelled that Phil called a truce. No one else raised a finger to stop Phil. Did everyone lie to Carol, say truce or did Phil do rouge and no one intervened? Did Phil lie and deny he left him in a dessert to die, or did the rest of the cul-de-sac have no objections with leaving a man to die?

He didn't leave Tandy to die. He left him with two days of supplies. Which he then eats in 20 minutes. Carols second line on getting out of the car was "I knew two days of supplies wouldn't last you long enough" or something similar. And that she'd rather be with someone who couldn't leave someone in the desert than someone who could. So she at least knew everything if after the fact.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hughlander posted:

He didn't leave Tandy to die. He left him with two days of supplies. Which he then eats in 20 minutes.

Phil 2 initially found him stranded on a billboard that he could have easily gotten down from himself, he definitely knew there was no way Phil was surviving out there and that box of food was a token gesture.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He already was, and he picked Carol, despite Gail and Erica throwing themselves at him. Hopefully he'll hunt for Carol just for conflict's sake, thinking maybe 'Tandy' kidnapped her when she went out to give him more supplies.

Despite the 'reboot' angle feeling really contrived and convenient, at least they've got another shot at a good start for the second first season, and for the first time in his probably meaningless life, Phil Tandy Miller has a bonafide *enemy* on Earth. Not just a guy whom he doesn't like at work, but an actual *enemy*, and both see the other as the villain.

But seeing as everyone except Kristen Schall and Will Forte were given "Special Guest Star" tags, it's more likely they'll just start from complete scratch.

Seems odd that they tied up that Todd / Melanie thread (or started it in the first place) if they're not going to be showing up again at least at some point. That's why I think a second season would wind up back in the cul-de-sac. That and the fact that network TV just can't give up on formula that easily.

boom boom boom posted:

To be fair, it's not as though the show doesn't take a liberal approach with concepts like "realism" as it is.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 4, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You could tell that Todd knew Phil was going to attack him based on his facial expressions.

Interesting. I'm just wondering if the community as a whole was in on lying to Carol to get Tandy out, or if it was just Phil to get her to be a part of the lure out. It's probably for the best that both Tandy and Phil go somewhere new.

Hughlander posted:

He didn't leave Tandy to die. He left him with two days of supplies. Which he then eats in 20 minutes. Carols second line on getting out of the car was "I knew two days of supplies wouldn't last you long enough" or something similar. And that she'd rather be with someone who couldn't leave someone in the desert than someone who could. So she at least knew everything if after the fact.

It would probably take Tandy more than 2 days to get to another town on foot. Tuscon to Pheonix is 115 miles. Phil left him to die, while saying he had a chance.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 4, 2015

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

PassTheRemote posted:

It would probably take Tandy more than 2 days to get to another town on foot. Tuscon to Pheonix is 115 miles. Phil left him to die, while saying he had a chance.

That's city to city. How about next suburb on the highway? Or exurb? Tandy even names a town and talks about how long it'll take at a brisk pace just before the 20 minutes later cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Of course, because he has never overestimated his own abilities or competence.

• Locked thread