Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

About half way into the first book. If this is the weakest book in the series, it looks like I'm in for all of them.

Really enjoying the audiobook version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The audiobooks get better too. Marsters had some annoying habits in the first one like smacking his lips and stuff. Kinda sperged me out but he broke them in the later books.

As a sidenote the Furies of Calderon audibooks are good too. They are voiced by Kate Reading and she does a phenomenal job with changing her voice as the protagonist ages.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Well summer knight was the first audio book produced.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I read Codex Alera when I was going through Dresden in university. It wasn't bad or anything, but I didn't think it was as strong as Dresden. Still, I guess this was what Butcher had always wanted to do as a writer ("swords and horses" fantasy, as I believe he described it in the back matter).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read Codex Alera when I was going through Dresden in university. It wasn't bad or anything, but I didn't think it was as strong as Dresden. Still, I guess this was what Butcher had always wanted to do as a writer ("swords and horses" fantasy, as I believe he described it in the back matter).

The entirety of Codex Alera was written on a bet to prove that someone good at writing could make gold with any random lovely concept (in this case, two were picked; the lost roman legion, and pokemon) - so given that premise, I think he did a reasonable job. I certainly enjoyed the first few, but I was a bit less interested in everything after they more-or-less made up with the Canim and started wholesale into fighting the tyranids zerg vord.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I have issues with Codex Alera, mostly relating to characterization. One of Butcher's techniques, used in Dresden Files as well, is mashing together two character archetypes from different genres in a single character. Sometimes this works and gives us characters like Harry Dresden, but in Codex Alera it tends to go badly and yield characters like Kitai, the tsundere noble savage.

I do like the setting, though, aside from the Marat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That, along with the constantly recycled villains is pretty much my problem with it too. It's not bad by any means, it just doesn't hold interest very well (and Kitai is awful). Butcher is much better at doing twists on existing mythologies and folk tales than making up his own (barbarian hordes, check. Beastmen, check. Giant bugs, check.). Even the whole fury magic thing feels weak and half-assed.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

That, along with the constantly recycled villains is pretty much my problem with it too. It's not bad by any means, it just doesn't hold interest very well (and Kitai is awful). Butcher is much better at doing twists on existing mythologies and folk tales than making up his own (barbarian hordes, check. Beastmen, check. Giant bugs, check.). Even the whole fury magic thing feels weak and half-assed.

I like the whole 'everyone has innate magic and it's used for anything and everything including mundane everyday tasks' idea with the furies, and how lacking this basic ability makes it hard to function, though he doesn't do too much interesting with it outside of some fun battles. I honestly think he could have done a more interesting story if he never got his furies, or just stuck with the crippled internal-only version he had for a while, instead of becoming a demigod. Most of the best stuff was when he was powerless or mostly powerless

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Overall I like Alera. Probably because I'm a sucker for all things Roman but it's got issues. The first book in Codex Alera was kinda OK though the tone was kind of all over the place. A coming of age story with magic pokemens and oh look sexual slavery. The next two or three were quite good with the third I being by far the best. It just started going downhill from there though. I agree with Wolpen. The moment Tavi started using furies was the moment the series turned for the worse. The more power his furies had the worse it got culminating in a big wet turd of a final book. Also the Vord or whatever the bugs were weren't a very interesting villain. The series would've been better if it had been more about twisted internal political backstabbery instead.

Still I'd like to see Butcher return to the Alera series at some point. I liked the world alright.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

The entirety of Codex Alera was written on a bet to prove that someone good at writing could make gold with any random lovely concept (in this case, two were picked; the lost roman legion, and pokemon) - so given that premise, I think he did a reasonable job. I certainly enjoyed the first few, but I was a bit less interested in everything after they more-or-less made up with the Canim and started wholesale into fighting the tyranids zerg vord.
See, I'd argue that he failed that bet completely, because the 'pokemon' half of his agreed setup got the edge of the rim of the tip of the hint of lip service for like half a book (seriously, count the number of the things that get names that aren't walking gods) and then more or less ran away. Then again, I lost patience with the series after book four, so it's possible that got turned back on its head. Also, I never thought I'd complain that a protagonist wasn't useless enough before I met Tavi. I'd have taken another three books of gawrsh I'm just a simple ol' farmboy over the instant metamorphosis into ultracompetence by the start of book 2.
And as long as I'm listing petty gripes, there's something weird about how everybody lives in a slave society yet the good guys all instinctively know that Slavery Is Wrong and only those pre-ordained as The Bad Ones would ever dream of being involved in it. Which is almost as weird as Amara having a job as basically an FBI agent yet taking multiple books to realize that maybe even politicians she likes are willing to do morally questionable things. That is a very weird, very specific sort of innocence.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 4, 2015

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Alera was a lot of fun. I also agree with the posters above about Tavi's later book developments. The second, third and fourth books are the best ones.

Drakyn posted:

Amara having a job as basically an FBI agent yet taking multiple books to realize that maybe even politicians she likes are willing to do morally questionable things. That is a very weird, very specific sort of innocence.
This is well within a reasonable suspension of disbelief, IMHO. There are plenty of soldiers in the world that truly believe their government is above wrongdoing--until they see it first hand.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 4, 2015

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

Alera was a lot of fun. I also agree with the posters above about Tavi's later book developments. The second, third and fourth books are the best ones.

This is well within a reasonable suspension of disbelief, IMHO. There are plenty of soldiers in the world that truly believe their government is above wrongdoing--until they see it first hand.
Soldiers, sure. Secret agents in the field? Your job description is basically 'do shady poo poo.' Her immediate mentor's entire career summarized was 'I do shady poo poo.' Then she finds out that the head cheese himself might actually be capable of wanting/performing shady poo poo and she can't believe her ears.

PreacherTom
Oct 7, 2003

I want to prank them for hours in my basement...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OH YEAH NEW READERS DO NOT CLICK THESE HUGE SPOILERS.

If I' making predictions:

If I were the faceless man, I'd try to assassinate Nightingale from long range with a high power rifle, just like vs. Dresden.

Unlike Dresden, Nightingale has been on the front lines of a full-blown war - with all the "steel in the air" that brings to bear. I think he's much better prepared for something like a single, albeit high-powered, bullet - even if it is unexpected.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PreacherTom posted:

I think he's much better prepared for something like a single, albeit high-powered, bullet - even if it is unexpected.

Didn't do such a good job on that front in the first book. :v:

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Alera is okay, but that's all. Other posters have hit on some of the things, but I think the big problem is that Butcher is trying to be 100% serious, and his strength is being able to inject humor into scenes like he does with Dresden. He goes for the epic fantasy style political maneuvering and so on, and it's just plain boring. There are entire point of view characters that do nothing interesting in the entire series, existing to show political crap, and they're a huge slog to get through. I mean, does Isana do anything interesting at all, ever, or even anything that really has any effect on the plot? I also hate the Zerg Vord - it's a clear rip off, down to the creep, and a bad one at that. The lead up was interesting - people were disappearing, etc., and you as the reader knew what was going on, but the characters didn't, so that was really interesting, but the reveal and implementation after that discovery period was terrible.

The series has its moments, but overall it's just really flawed. I think he might be able to come back some day and do a better job, but overall, Alera is just okay.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I actually liked the politics stuff, it was way more interesting than the zerg. Politics/spy stuff/military stuff with the powerless underdog everyone underestimates due to his powerlessness is more interesting than living god exploding millions of bugs.

Ashendar
Oct 19, 2011

If i remember correctly from Butcher's interview, the entire idea of Alera was to use old "overused" ideas and present them in a new fresh way. It was born out of argument of "originality" vs "presentation". So he did re-use a lot of ideas like pokemon/roman legion/hive-mind-monsters.
But overall its a great story that clearly shows that presentation and storytelling is often as important as having new original idea, if not more.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I liked codex alera except for the dragon Ball z style power creep in the later books.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't do such a good job on that front in the first book. :v:

I really, really want to read about how Nightingale single-handedly held the retreat from Ettersburg and kept it from being even more brutal of a slaughter than it was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wade Wilson posted:

I really, really want to read about how Nightingale single-handedly held the retreat from Ettersburg and kept it from being even more brutal of a slaughter than it was.

Blasting apart Tiger tanks with magic spells and poo poo. :black101:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Aaronovitch, Ben (2015-01-06). Foxglove Summer: A Rivers of London Novel (PC Peter Grant Book 5) (p. 116). DAW. Kindle Edition. posted:

“You should have seen him at Ettersberg,” he said softly. “It was like standing before the walls of Troy. Aías d’amphì Menoitiádei sákos eurù kalúpsas hestékei hós tís te léon perì hoîsi tékessin, but Ajax covered the son of Menoitios with his broad shield and stood fast , like a lion over its children.”

:black101:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Wheat Loaf posted:

After watching "Fury", I really want to read a Rivers of London spinoff featuring Nightingale and an American Sherman crew in the middle of hostile Germany in April, 1945 :swoon:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Drakyn posted:

Which is almost as weird as Amara having a job as basically an FBI agent yet taking multiple books to realize that maybe even politicians she likes are willing to do morally questionable things. That is a very weird, very specific sort of innocence.
Amara "graduates" into a full Cursor in the first book. She is very young and idealistic. You might have a point if she had already been around the block a few times and was a little jaded, but not here.

Tavi coming into his furies does weaken the series, however. Especially with the final boss fight essentially being something from Dragonball Z. The series peaks at Cursor's Fury (book 3).

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 5, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It'd also help if Tavi's name was somewhat less transparent. I think I connected the dots in the first book, he reveals it explicitly in like, fourth?
Anyway, my favorite Alera book was the one about the conflict with the dogmen, can't remember if it was 2 or 4.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

anilEhilated posted:

It'd also help if Tavi's name was somewhat less transparent. I think I connected the dots in the first book, he reveals it explicitly in like, fourth?
Anyway, my favorite Alera book was the one about the conflict with the dogmen, can't remember if it was 2 or 4.

The one where the furies are used to make a gigantic death laser out of sunlight.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

Amara "graduates" into a full Cursor in the first book. She is very young and idealistic. You might have a point if she had already been around the block a few times and was a little jaded, but not here.

Tavi coming into his furies does weaken the series, however. Especially with the final boss fight essentially being something from Dragonball Z. The series peaks at Cursor's Fury (book 3).
That is still incredibly naive given who her teacher was and what the entire scope and role of her job is; like a butcher's apprentice who freaks out when confronted with their first live cow because HOLY CRAP NOBODY TOLD ME WE KILL THESE THINGS! If you've spent years training to be a secret agent and spy underneath possibly the most worn-down and cynical man alive it's sort of incredible that you haven't at least marginally realized that sometimes your job is not nice by the time the graduation bell rings.
I'll admit fully that I'm not coming at this from a remotely forgiving point of view, mind you. For a fair amount of readers the moment the series went majorly downhill was when the main character got superpowers; for me it was when it turned out he and his teacher were secretly collaborating to train all the other students better because he was Just That Good.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Basically Codex Alera is an enjoyable but heavily flawed work that probably should have been cut from six books to four.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Can I look at this without spoiling the book? :ohdear:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would think so. It's a minor spoiler about the backstory of a supporting character.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's talking about the same incident that you mentioned in a previous post, it's just from the point of view of another character who was at that particular incident. If you already know about 'the biggest thing Nightingale ever killed', it is not a spoiler.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Drakyn posted:

That is still incredibly naive given who her teacher was and what the entire scope and role of her job is; like a butcher's apprentice who freaks out when confronted with their first live cow because HOLY CRAP NOBODY TOLD ME WE KILL THESE THINGS! If you've spent years training to be a secret agent and spy underneath possibly the most worn-down and cynical man alive it's sort of incredible that you haven't at least marginally realized that sometimes your job is not nice by the time the graduation bell rings.
I'll admit fully that I'm not coming at this from a remotely forgiving point of view, mind you. For a fair amount of readers the moment the series went majorly downhill was when the main character got superpowers; for me it was when it turned out he and his teacher were secretly collaborating to train all the other students better because he was Just That Good.
Amara's problem isn't that she's asked to kill things (although spies are not assassins) but rather that nuking the enemy's civilian population center, even if the reason for doing so is to prevent the enemy from using that nuke against a bigger target, is way beyond the kind of atrocity that she signed up for as a Cursor. This is hardly unreasonable. It's one thing for Spy A to kill in self defense using handheld weapons, and an entirely different thing to kill tens or hundreds of thousands of civilians by smuggling a suitcase nuke into a major city.

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

I couldn't think of an image so I Googled "Overload"

General Emergency posted:

The audiobooks get better too. Marsters had some annoying habits in the first one like smacking his lips and stuff. Kinda sperged me out but he broke them in the later books.

Man I know I am in the minority but I completely disagree. I really, really liked the "background" noises in the first 4 audiobooks. I don't like it in most audiobooks, but since this one is specifically written as Dresden telling the story of what happened, I found the entire presentation of the way he spoke, including deep breaths, smacking lips, and all the rest to enhance the story telling. Marsters didn't do these things randomly - he always did them in a way that someone would do naturally while telling these stories to someone. Most of the non-speech noises were centered around "difficult to tell" sections of the book where he would hesitate to continue and stuff. I loved it! But the audiobook reviews definitely show that not everyone did.

And to be more correct it's not that Marsters changed anything in later books. Books 1-4 were produced by Buzzy Multimedia, but then it switched to Penguin Audio from Book 5 onward. Penguin does their editing differently to eliminate the noises you're talking about. Until I got used to it, I hated that the production feels more "sterile" - all of the silences are digitally noise gated instead of natural not-quite-silence from a microphone. I guess another way to say it is that the original production felt more like Dresden recording his own records of the events, and the new version feels like a produced audiobook.

When it switched production houses a bunch of the voices also switched, which was jarring and annoying when listening to Book 5. Now I'm used to the new voices of course.

OverloadUT fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 7, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's my new theory about Mac as I reread Cold Days: Mac is our lord and savior Jesus

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Literally The Worst posted:

Here's my new theory about Mac as I reread Cold Days: Mac is our lord and savior Jesus

That actually makes a little bit of sense.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jesus is a bartender with a shotgun. America

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Checks out.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Still less ridiculous than Jesus in the Iron Druid books.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

g0del posted:

Still less ridiculous than Jesus in the Iron Druid books.

I don't plan to read Iron Druid, please spoil me.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Emy posted:

I don't plan to read Iron Druid, please spoil me.

All of the not-protagonist characters are actually well done, not sure where that guy is coming from.

There's a moment where Jesus shows up as a black guy and says something about how nice it is to be remembered somewhat close to how he actually looked by someone living in the area.

Deities in Iron Druid are restricted by how people believe in them. Not a new idea, Iron Druid just takes it to a more direct conclusion than American Gods did (& it's a fairly important plot point in The Morrigan's subplot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

He doesn't brew his beer, he just waves his hand over a bathtub with water once in a while.