Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria Playboy
Aug 28, 2014

Inform

At the very least it'll probably sound way better than the vinyl-digital bootleg I have, and if not, there's always bragging rights.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Malaria Playboy posted:

At the very least it'll probably sound way better than the vinyl-digital bootleg I have, and if not, there's always bragging rights.

How much did it cost?

Malaria Playboy
Aug 28, 2014

Inform

BigFactory posted:

How much did it cost?

$150. Highest I've ever paid for a single record, but only by $50

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

More garbage pickings today.

Francoise Hardy

Morton Subotnic - earlyish synthesizer music

2001 soundtrack

Sergio Mendes

Procol Harum

And maybe the best, Mad River

I love free poo poo

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hey man, Glass Houses is actually a good album. Yeah, it's Billy Joel trying to do punk in a way only Billy Joel would, but that makes it pretty good. Especially "Sometimes a Fantasy." A Billy Joel Punk Rock song about phone sex.
It's funny you mention this because I was just listening to this call from The Best Show on WFMU earlier with Jon Wurster and Jon Benjamin, "Danny Phipps from Glass Houses, America's Number One Billy Joel Tribute Band": https://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=1&show=49399&archive=85399

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Holy poo poo, just got Buena Vista Social Club for $89 bucks.

I've been creeping Ebay for 2+ years waiting for a mis-price.

WOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

I've had a lot of luck in the last few months. I also got the out of print How to Dress Well - Love Remains on a mis-price (or unaware of out-of-print status) on Amazon earlier this year.

EDIT:
Next on the list is a copy of Tom Waits - Orphans for <$225 (7 record box set).

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 30, 2015

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

c0ldfuse posted:

Holy poo poo, just got Buena Vista Social Club for $89 bucks.

I've been creeping Ebay for 2+ years waiting for a mis-price.

WOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

Didn't they just reissue this?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ShotgunWillie posted:

Didn't they just reissue this?

That would be amazing if it was true and homeboy could have bought it at Sam Goody for $25, but it looks like the more recent reissue still goes for stupid money.

It can also be had on cd at thrift stores adjacent to places NPR listeners live for ~ 2 bucks.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Snowy posted:

More garbage pickings today.

Sergio Mendes

I see this one in the thrift bins every now and then and was always intrigued by it. Is it any good?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

I see this one in the thrift bins every now and then and was always intrigued by it. Is it any good?

Yeah it rules.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

BigFactory posted:

That would be amazing if it was true and homeboy could have bought it at Sam Goody for $25, but it looks like the more recent reissue still goes for stupid money.

It can also be had on cd at thrift stores adjacent to places NPR listeners live for ~ 2 bucks.

Yeah I wanted vinyl. When was the last reissue? I might sell it while price is still high in that case. I thought there was only two issues of it, last of which being 10 years ago or something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

c0ldfuse posted:

Yeah I wanted vinyl. When was the last reissue? I might sell it while price is still high in that case. I thought there was only two issues of it, last of which being 10 years ago or something.

Discogs says 2009 in the U.S.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

c0ldfuse posted:

Preorders happening now: http://www.newonvinyl.com/en/buena-vista-social-club-buena-vista-social-club.html

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Lol

Edit: I might buy that though. I lost my cd of it years ago and it is pretty good. Not $85 good, but $19.95 good.

Edit 2: if it's actually 30 bucks I think I'll pass.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 1, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that's gotta sting a bit

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Nope just going to list for cheapish and get on pre-order. Then sell.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Or hold onto and sell when this is gone.

Look at the Dredg El Cielo currently $300 and was reissued last year.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
El Cielo probably won't be reissued though, and also it rules :rock:

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

El Cielo probably won't be reissued though, and also it rules :rock:

I'm gonna rob ya house son.

:(

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Spoke to the owner of my favourite store last week about RSD. He said they made about a quarter of a month's takings in one day but he really dislikes the whole thing because it brings people out on one day and then for a month or so after profits drop as everyone blows their wad.

Vinyl seems to have really taken off here (Perth AU) over the past year or so which makes me a little sad/mad. I'm getting to be too poor for this poo poo.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

luncheon meat posted:

Spoke to the owner of my favourite store last week about RSD. He said they made about a quarter of a month's takings in one day but he really dislikes the whole thing because it brings people out on one day and then for a month or so after profits drop as everyone blows their wad.

Vinyl seems to have really taken off here (Perth AU) over the past year or so which makes me a little sad/mad. I'm getting to be too poor for this poo poo.

Same here in Hobart, the difference in crowds for this RSD compared to past years was :stare: We also had a record fair recently where a ton of people showed up.

I haven't been back to my record store since RSD, though my excuse is I broke my foot.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The WFMU record fair is going on through the weekend for anyone near Brooklyn. There's tons of stuff for collector nerds along with live broadcasts and food n poo poo.

https://wfmu.org/recfair/

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Lmao

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Snowy posted:

Morton Subotnic - earlyish synthesizer music

drat, this pick rules hard, Subotnick on nonesuch from the garbage is coooool. Was the expensive ebay BVSC an original nonesuch?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Elrobot posted:

drat, this pick rules hard, Subotnick on nonesuch from the garbage is coooool.

Funny thing is, that's the second copy of it I've found on the street! The first is in better condition and I think I paid a homeless dude a dollar for it. He had a bunch of other good old electronic stuff I got like the Steve Reich record with the "bruise blood come out to show them" loop. :woop:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

luncheon meat posted:

I've been slowly getting into it over the last 2 years or so, mostly just getting copies of new stuff I really want the big art of or digging at goodwill for those 50 cent gems. On my RSD quest for Polaris I came across a rather small shop and have been back every payday since to dump a little money into digging.

The little bit of conversation I've had makes it sound like I'm one of the few new faces they saw on RSD that's actually been back and that's kind of sad. They said a large percentage of the RSD sales came right at opening and they haven't seen any of those people before or since so it's likely they were just interested in flipping them and going to a store with shorter lines than the more known ones in the area.

It's kind of funny to me cause they still have a ton of RSD overstock but at the bigger store I went to for a performance people were just like grabbing whatever exclusives were left when they got to their numbers.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My Florida farewell record tour continues, this time courtesy Planet Retro.

Common - The Food 12" I didn't know there was a non-Chapelle version of the song. I can't listen to it because my turntables are packed. :(

Beck - One Foot in the Grave First pressing, near mint, :hellyeah:

Various - Have a Tampa Sampler Late 80s punk compilation of local Tampa Bay bands. Because while Florida sucks rear end, I'm still feeling very nostalgic about leaving it behind.

Edit: I also saw a copy of the original cover of The Scorpions' Virgin Killer, open but in its original shrinkwrap. Felt like I immediately got placed on an FBI watch list simply for holding it.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 3, 2015

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Hey this album reminds me of another picture I've seen before but I just can't put my finger on which one

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Oh it was a goatse

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 3, 2015

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Smeed posted:

Hey this album reminds me of another picture I've seen before but I just can't put my finger on which one

Submit that to http://accidentalgoatse.tumblr.com/

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Bought a copy of Liquid Swords finally and disc two is somehow Maroon 5 instead. Awesome.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

On a whim I waltzed into a record store today and left with the original Shimmy Disc release of Ween's The Pod. Same place I stumbled onto a copy of the insane soundtrack to The Apple.

I swear, every time I go into Crossroads in Portland, I walk out of there with something I've been searching for forever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

On a whim I waltzed into a record store today and left with the original Shimmy Disc release of Ween's The Pod. Same place I stumbled onto a copy of the insane soundtrack to The Apple.

I swear, every time I go into Crossroads in Portland, I walk out of there with something I've been searching for forever.

Oh man, did you actually buy the Apple soundtrack?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Oh man, did you actually buy the Apple soundtrack?
I'm not big into discogs or eBay, so The Apple soundtrack is something I've dreamed of stumbling on in a record store forever. When I hit the little soundtrack section at Crossroads and found it, like, three records deep into their crazy, Labyrinthian setup, I immediately ran to the counter and threw $10 at them as hard as I could.

Best vinyl purchase I've ever made. Sometimes I'll just break out my copy, not even playing it - just being delighted over the fact that I loving own the soundtrack to The Apple.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

it arrived!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

I'm not big into discogs or eBay, so The Apple soundtrack is something I've dreamed of stumbling on in a record store forever. When I hit the little soundtrack section at Crossroads and found it, like, three records deep into their crazy, Labyrinthian setup, I immediately ran to the counter and threw $10 at them as hard as I could.

Best vinyl purchase I've ever made. Sometimes I'll just break out my copy, not even playing it - just being delighted over the fact that I loving own the soundtrack to The Apple.

Yeah that's a rare one. I'd be way too excited if I found a copy of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVKODpCrCpw

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

How much was the Pod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Has anyone ever had any success with the "Album request" on their site? I sent an e-mail with a few titles asking about their reprint schedule and I think I just got back a boiler plate response about "getting the list to the right people".