Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I want to call fake on this, but knowing Ed Boon... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

I want to call fake on this, but knowing Ed Boon... :allears:

It is fake. I wish it wasn't though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Awww. :(

Although while we're on the subject, there's a character in MKX - Kung Jin - who is totally gay. However, this is never given any more attention than a straight character; it's a minor plot point (the character in question is worried he won't be accepted by an order of monks) but it's very easy to miss the reassurance he's given, "the Shaolin care not who your heart desires only what's in your heart". There's no parade or anything, it's just there as another facet rather than a driving force.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

poptart_fairy posted:

Awww. :(

Although while we're on the subject, there's a character in MKX - Kung Jin - who is totally gay. However, this is never given any more attention than a straight character; it's a minor plot point (the character in question is worried he won't be accepted by an order of monks) but it's very easy to miss the reassurance he's given, "the Shaolin care not who your heart desires only what's in your heart". There's no parade or anything, it's just there as another facet rather than a driving force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YSaki3CLks

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Alteisen posted:

Whatever this linked it seems to be gone now.

But yea the pre-fight banter is awesome.

It looks like when you make a timg a link using url tags, it breaks both of them. I've seen these a few times and it's always the same. Removing the url tags will make the image work, like so:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Fake edit: Did not realize it was the Onion.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Singularity was fun, if flawed game. In it, you're given the TMD, an experimental device which allows you to age or regress certain items. The cool thing is you can use it to either age an enemy into dust or "regress" them into gross gooey placenta monsters that will attack their former allies.

It's one of the few FPSs where the main gimmick is actually a viable and fun way to play the game. Plus, you can find it for about five bucks.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

CJacobs posted:

It is fake. I wish it wasn't though.

Goddamn it. I wish this was like the Battlefield: Hardline goofy reloads, just a silly thing that has like a 0.5% chance of happening every fight.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

grittyreboot posted:

Singularity was fun, if flawed game. In it, you're given the TMD, an experimental device which allows you to age or regress certain items. The cool thing is you can use it to either age an enemy into dust or "regress" them into gross gooey placenta monsters that will attack their former allies.

It's one of the few FPSs where the main gimmick is actually a viable and fun way to play the game. Plus, you can find it for about five bucks.

I really liked it and the viral marketing thingy for it was well made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VavGLTzGne8

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

Apparently the regression thing was supposed to be even grosser originally but they got too many complaints and had to tone it down.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently the regression thing was supposed to be even grosser originally but they got too many complaints and had to tone it down.

I read in an interview ages ago that at the very beginning the idea was to regress enemies into infants, but they quickly decided that making a game where you can shoot infants was probably not the best idea.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
A World of Warcraft boss with great sound design: The master of the Soul Forge, Bronjahm, the "Godfather of Souls". They really went all out with their dumb James Brown jokes. From almost every item he drops being some reference to his work, to his unique theme, to even the little-noticed sound effects that play when he attacks, is injured, or is the recipient of a critical hit:

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=36497/bronjahm#sounds

My favorite is FS_Bronjahm_WoundCrit#2.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Requesting more video game ditties, please and thank you. Something about how simple and lo-fi this song is speaks to me. I really need to play DP.

Here's another song (from an anime, sorry) that similarly speaks to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe7kMlgCqLw

Yes, that was Freddie Mercury.

Edit: I felt bad not adding something video game related. Have a cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA_a6GLSDvU

LawfulWaffle has a new favorite as of 18:27 on May 4, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

Requesting more video game ditties, please and thank you. Something about how simple and lo-fi this song is speaks to me. I really need to play DP.

Here's another song (from an anime, sorry) that similarly speaks to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe7kMlgCqLw

Yes, that was Freddie Mercury.

Edit: I felt bad not adding something video game related. Have a cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA_a6GLSDvU

DP is not a fun game. It is an interesting and captivating game, but not fun. Watch SuperGreatFriend play it in the LPArchive because it will cut the tedium, show off every weird little detail, and his commentary actually matches the deadpan absurdity of the game perfectly.

Like, even if you think LPs are dumb and spergy, watch that one instead of playing DP.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
My favorite little thing about DP (or at least the aforementioned LP of it) is that it made me realize I really wanted a 'drive around aimlessly' simulator. So I bought Euro Truck Simulator 2.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

My favorite little thing about DP (or at least the aforementioned LP of it) is that it made me realize I really wanted a 'drive around aimlessly' simulator. So I bought Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Hey ETS2 buddy! Really, just the best chill game. My favorite little detail in that is that you can see little rabbits and stuff running across the road in more rural areas.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

DP is not a fun game. It is an interesting and captivating game, but not fun. Watch SuperGreatFriend play it in the LPArchive because it will cut the tedium, show off every weird little detail, and his commentary actually matches the deadpan absurdity of the game perfectly.

Like, even if you think LPs are dumb and spergy, watch that one instead of playing DP.

This is solid advice. The archived LP is the only format where interacting with DP seems enjoyable, the game itself is pretty far up its own rear end. That song is catchy as hell though!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
DP really is not that bad to play, the combat is tacked on but the game gives you infinite ammo weapons early on if you do some sidequests. The PS3 version is pretty jank and so is the PC version for a lot of people, but the 360 version is fine. I think it really adds to the game if you're actually playing it and just exploring Greenvale and interacting with all of its goofball denizens on your own. The game is usually pretty cheap so I'd suggest just get it but if you really can't then supergreatfriend's LP is fine.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 23:10 on May 4, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Accordion Man posted:

DP really is not that bad to play, the combat is tacked on but the game gives you infinite ammo weapons early on if you do some sidequests.

If I remember right this is literally true. Sweary didn't want to have any combat at all and have the game be about the mystery like a point and click adventure (without the pointing and clicking obviously) but some higher ups didn't think that would sell well so a barebones combat mode was made near the last minute and implemented.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Alouicious posted:

all i know is it has something to do with hexcodes

OK nerds here's how to play Tetra Master, assuming you already know how to play Triple Triad. It's actually not too weird it's just that the game for some reason doesn't tell you it all at the start, and since it's non-deterministic you can't really work poo poo out from gameplay.

OK so in Triple Triad your card has one 'attack' value per cardinal direction. That's gone. Instead, your card only has one single attack value, and that's the first number on the card. The directions it can 'attack' in are the arrows. Simple enough so far? If an arrow hits an arrow, the flip is uncontested. Otherwise, the cards have a battle. Tetra Master always has the 'Chain' Triple Triad rule so you can chain flips if you organise them right.

The second character on the card is P, M or X. Physical, magical or... whatever. Xpecial. That tells you which of the opponent's cards defence values it'll compare to the attack value.

The third character is the physical defence. The fourth and last character is the magical defence. An X card attacks whichever one is lower.

Card values go from 0 to F (hexadecimal) instead of 0-9 (decimal).

Anyway none of this is a guarantee because the attack and defence values are slightly randomised in card battles so a 1 card could still lose to a 0 card.

Cool now you know how to play Tetra Master.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Accordion Man posted:

DP really is not that bad to play, the combat is tacked on but the game gives you infinite ammo weapons early on if you do some sidequests. The PS3 version is pretty jank and so is the PC version for a lot of people, but the 360 version is fine. I think it really adds to the game if you're actually playing it and just exploring Greenvale and interacting with all of its goofball denizens on your own. The game is usually pretty cheap so I'd suggest just get it but if you really can't then supergreatfriend's LP is fine.

It can take upwards of ten minutes to drive between locations on the map, and the cars can run out of gas. The game is a miserable slog to actually play.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

It can take upwards of ten minutes to drive between locations on the map, and the cars can run out of gas. The game is a miserable slog to actually play.

I've played through the game multiple times and I don't think I've ever run out of gas. Also if you do the actual sidequests one available early on in the game gives you an unlimited-use police flare that lets you fast-travel to any location you've visited before.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

death .cab for qt posted:

All the video links in this LP appear to be broken, FYI

e: so here they are https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL845B60D60A411471

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Leal posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. I loved putting a card with a bigger number next to a card with a smaller number and my card flips for some reason.

That's because Tetra Master is random.

I've seen the numbers behind it and it is so, so random. Like a 0P21 ain't beating an CA9B but gaps less than 4 points (which is 90% of the game including the mandatory card tournament) are still up to the whims of fate.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
My favourite little thing right now is cruise control in SR3 for hands free drive-bys. The best travel mechanism since autopilot horses during cutscenes in RDR. Also I beat a giant, minigun-wielding babyman to death using a dildo.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Sleeveless posted:

I've played through the game multiple times and I don't think I've ever run out of gas. Also if you do the actual sidequests one available early on in the game gives you an unlimited-use police flare that lets you fast-travel to any location you've visited before.

I ran out of gas multiple times in my play through. And I don't think "well you can do a side quest to get rid of this annoying element of gameplay" is an excuse for poo poo poor, dull gameplay.

EDIT: Deadly Premonition is absolutely 100% certain the single worst game I have ever played.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Deadly Premonition is a great game.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's because Tetra Master is random.

I've seen the numbers behind it and it is so, so random. Like a 0P21 ain't beating an CA9B but gaps less than 4 points (which is 90% of the game including the mandatory card tournament) are still up to the whims of fate.

With Triple Triad, theres lots of rewards for the effort. Tetra? There isn't a single thing. It's just..... why did you put this in?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
DP is both a great game and has horrible gameplay.

And the fast travel item is almost impossible to stumble on naturally as you have to use the replay chapter feature with no clues or prompting.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

With Triple Triad, theres lots of rewards for the effort. Tetra? There isn't a single thing. It's just..... why did you put this in?

because it's fun :mad:

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Deadly Premonition is absolutely 100% certain the single worst game I have ever played.

flatluigi posted:

Deadly Premonition is a great game.

Pretty much how the reviews went.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Deadly Premonition is the best game I've ever watched so I didn't have to play it myself.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I think that's the first time I've heard about somebody running out of gas on Dead Prem, just like I'd never heard about anybody running out of gas on Mafia 2 either.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

My favorite little thing in Metal Gear Rising is that some of the enemies will hide in cardboard boxes just like Snake and Raiden. It's just so goofy and I love it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Regrettable posted:

My favorite little thing in Metal Gear Rising is that some of the enemies will hide in cardboard boxes just like Snake and Raiden. It's just so goofy and I love it.

Do you play along, and pretend like you don't see them?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

LawfulWaffle posted:

This is Metal Gear Rising, son. You slice them up to claim a prize. :getin:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

LawfulWaffle posted:

The ones in Revengeance are pretty well-hidden and the foil shielding that lines the boxes also hides the grunt inside from your ninja-vision, there are 5 in the entire game and I only found one on my first playthrough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is Metal Gear Rising, son. You slice them up to claim a prize. :getin:

The first slice chops the box off of them and causes the unlockable to pop out. Then they just weep uncontrollably while begging for you to spare them. Even Jack The Edgehog Ripper can't extract revenge-vengeance on such poor souls.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

CJacobs posted:

The first slice chops the box off of them and causes the unlockable to pop out. Then they just weep uncontrollably while begging for you to spare them. Even Jack The Edgehog Ripper can't extract revenge-vengeance on such poor souls.

BAH! MY HIGH-FREQUENCY BLADE THIRSTS FOR ELECTROLYTES, IT CARES NOT FROM WHERE THEY FLOW -- ONLY THAT THEY FLOW. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Oh my god, I just found the one at the military base and when you kill him someone chimes in that MiBs [Men in Boxes] are thought to have come from Area 51. Amazing.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Oh, I straight up murder them for sweet electrolytes.

Regrettable has a new favorite as of 06:43 on May 5, 2015