Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pander posted:

Dude, I'm not a fan of this glorified UPS, but you really need to chill the gently caress out. You sound like a crazy person with a paranoid hatred toward Musk.

To be fair, I'm more mad at the idiot poster who has the reading comprehension of a 5 year old than I am at Musk. I mean, seriously. I'll take my licks when they're due, but at least put some modicum of effort into reading a post if you're going to discuss an issue, otherwise what's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
He

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Nice reading comprehension. I said the power pack, not the loving power wall.

edit: Did you seriously even read or watch the video, or were you too busy jumping at an opportunity to slobber all over his throbbing Galtesq cock?

He showed it in the video

I have only heard of this guy's name in passing and never seen him speak or anything he has done. Good to know he can make someone so mad though.

goodness fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 1, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's fantastic. He showed me a box in the video. I'll just calculate it's dimensions based on Elon's shoe size and my protractor.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm sure when you can order it you will be able to see the dimensions.

That's fantastic. He showed me a box in the video. I'll just calculate it's dimensions based on Elon's shoe size and my protractor.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So what's the point of this entire circle then? The article I linked asked the question about the power pack, I asked the same question, and you started babbling about the wall. I'm sure we'll know it eventually, but if you're going to show some info graphics in a video it's usually a good idea to provide the viewing public with your numbers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If only Elon Musk, who is solely responsible for solving our energy storage problem, would get off his rear end and solve the problem for everybody! What a selfish piece of poo poo!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I mistook what you said at first. But why are you so angry about something that could change the world for a lot of people. Just like we have programs that have developed cheap laptops for poor countries, the same will happen with this. I know it will help me a lot so I can achieve my goal of getting off the grid.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like elon Musk. He's cool. He's got a funny name, too. LOL "musk".

Anyway these batteries sound neat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I want to know how you recharge a 90 kw power pack off solar alone, for all those who are going on and on about living off the grid with it.

Its a neat idea, but it really doesn't make sense outside of maybe being used at a cabin with very little draw.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anosmoman posted:

The point is it doesn't matter if NASA greenlighted it to fly on rockets. NASA greenlighted the engine on the curiosity rover and I wouldn't put that in my car, plane, train or boat. Things are engineered for different tasks and being exceptionelly well - or poorly - engineered for one thing does not inform you of anything else. Tesla batteries could be immensely well suited for space travel and still be the most expensive and impractical batteries on Earth.

Obviously you're not a very big fan of Tang

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

CommieGIR posted:

I want to know how you recharge a 90 kw power pack off solar alone, for all those who are going on and on about living off the grid with it.

Its a neat idea, but it really doesn't make sense outside of maybe being used at a cabin with very little draw.

I'm interested in what it would look like on a house, as well. I think the article at one point mentioned 1200 watt average draw for US houses? How many square feet of solar panels would you need in order to meet that without having any outages, assuming you have battery for when it's dark?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Where does the '90' figure come from?

The assumption with most home solar installations is that you will aim for break-even by selling surplus to the grid during peak production, and drawing from the grid at night when your panels aren't producing. I'm sure it varies by locale, but at least here in CA I'm on PG&E and my understanding of how it works is that I'm credited for my surplus power at whatever rate I'm drawing at when I'm running the meter forward. So I'm generating power and selling it to PG&E at peak times, but getting compensated at off-peak rates. The benefit of the battery is ostensibly never having to draw from the grid. So the battery system's break-even point is whatever the difference is between the cost of the battery and what it costs me to draw the amount of power I'm drawing at off-peak times and rates.

I'm planning to have solar installed this year, and just for the panels targeting a net-zero grid usage I was looking at 7 years to break even. I'll have to look at my numbers to see if the battery system makes sense for me. A big question is the expected life of the batteries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Family Values posted:

Where does the '90' figure come from?

The assumption with most home solar installations is that you will aim for break-even by selling surplus to the grid during peak production, and drawing from the grid at night when your panels aren't producing. I'm sure it varies by locale, but at least here in CA I'm on PG&E and my understanding of how it works is that I'm credited for my surplus power at whatever rate I'm drawing at when I'm running the meter forward. So I'm generating power and selling it to PG&E at peak times, but getting compensated at off-peak rates. The benefit of the battery is ostensibly never having to draw from the grid. So the battery system's break-even point is whatever the difference is between the cost of the battery and what it costs me to draw the amount of power I'm drawing at off-peak times and rates.

I'm planning to have solar installed this year, and just for the panels targeting a net-zero grid usage I was looking at 7 years to break even. I'll have to look at my numbers to see if the battery system makes sense for me. A big question is the expected life of the batteries.

My mistake, its a 10 kwh or 6 kwh

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

YarPirate posted:

I'm interested in what it would look like on a house, as well. I think the article at one point mentioned 1200 watt average draw for US houses? How many square feet of solar panels would you need in order to meet that without having any outages, assuming you have battery for when it's dark?

You can do a back-of-the-envelope calculation using this website: http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/1961-1990/redbook/atlas/ and this spreadsheet: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/sales_revenue_price/xls/table5_a.xls

If I did the calculation correctly, for Iowa in December, with 20% efficient flat plate solar panels, you'd need about 50 m^2 or a 25 ft x 25 ft area to generate 30 kWh per day, enough electricity to power the average residence in Iowa. This is neglecting electrical system losses.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 2, 2015

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

My mistake, its a 10 kwh or 6 kwh

90 kwh wasn't totally out of nowhere, you might have read something about how you can have up to 9 of them per home, so 90kwh.

quote:

Powerwall comes in 10 kWh weekly cycle and 7 kWh daily cycle models. Both are guaranteed for ten years and are sufficient to power most homes during peak evening hours. Multiple batteries may be installed together for homes with greater energy need, up to 90 kWh total for the 10 kWh battery and 63 kWh total for the 7 kWh battery.
http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I seem to remember that Killer-of-Lawyers' hate-boner for Musk came up in the Spaceflight thread. It was revealed that his problem with him boiled down to his belief that he was a super-libertarian, but that literally his only proof that he actually was a libertarian was just that he knows Peter Thiel.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm pretty sure I tried to equate his mars plans with Galt's Gulch too.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/11/28/no-death-no-taxes posted:

Musk added, “I’m somewhat libertarian, but Peter’s extremely libertarian.”

There, from the horses mouth.

There's also a good quote from the man about taxes being theft, dudes super libertarian nutty.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 2, 2015

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Makes sense that you'd hate Musk so much more than all the other billionaire industrialists since they're all so much more left-wing than him. Famously there's the large coterie of communist billionaire industrialists out there.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'd probably hate a commie just as much, tbh

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

What is a good book to read to learn the basics of this kind of stuff for a consumer?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Musk is a cool dude who's made some cool stuff.

:lol: at "I can't believe [cutting-edge consumer tech] is being targeted at the rich! Obviously if the initial things are priced for rich people, all future iterations will be similarly priced, just like all other technology throughout history."

How many times do we have to have this cycle repeat before some people notice that technology tends to get cheaper over time?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

goodness posted:

What is a good book to read to learn the basics of this kind of stuff for a consumer?

Energy for Future Presidents is probably the best primer out there. It's aimed at a general audience but was written by a Berkeley physicist who actually understands the science and economics behind all of the major energy issues, but he's managed to boil all of that information down into a primer that anyone should be able to handle. It's also a forward-looking piece of literature

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm pretty sure I tried to equate his mars plans with Galt's Gulch too.

There, from the horses mouth.

There's also a good quote from the man about taxes being theft, dudes super libertarian nutty.

And?
Like you do know that there is a range of libertarian positions right and that most of them don't involve purestrain objectivist lunacy?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, it won't be the last. Sorry about this time though. On the upside I learned a lot of neat stuff. If the price of 18650's drops when Musk's factory comes online then they'll probably remain significantly cheaper than the bigger automotive cells even as they come down in cost. I still hope someone else besides Musk comes along in the market though!

As a EE I'll also admit I was fairly skeptical of large battery packs for automotive applications. I was pretty sure that there would be no way around monitoring individual cells, which would be insanely difficult, but apparently they can get away with just monitoring banks. Unfortunately I am incapable of reading patent-speak without having a stroke, so I may never find out!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

And?
Like you do know that there is a range of libertarian positions right and that most of them don't involve purestrain objectivist lunacy?

Actually I think that most of them do involve purestrain objectivist lunacy, but some don't

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lawman 0 posted:

And?

All libertarian positions are either lunacy or things that happen to coincide with sane positions due to random chance.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nintendo Kid posted:

All libertarian positions are either lunacy or things that happen to coincide with sane positions due to random chance.

:agreed:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

:agreed:

All stopped clocks something something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ANIME AKBAR posted:

As a EE I'll also admit I was fairly skeptical of large battery packs for automotive applications. I was pretty sure that there would be no way around monitoring individual cells, which would be insanely difficult, but apparently they can get away with just monitoring banks. Unfortunately I am incapable of reading patent-speak without having a stroke, so I may never find out!

You don't have to do realtime monitoring of each cell you "just" have to isolate a single damaged cell from causing more damage which tesla did.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Hmm, i wonder what's the political ideology of your average nuclear industry executive?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Can't find much. Westinghouses executive seems pretty standard and talks a lot about working with embassies and governments. Googling nuclear power executives and libertarianism gives a lot of hits about the inherent statism of nuclear power.

None of the ones I've seen interviews on set off my randar, and libertarians are idiots that scream their ideology all the time.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Family Values posted:

Hmm, i wonder what's the political ideology of your average nuclear industry executive?

Probably an in-law to the military-industrial complex that's given the stink eye from both the right wing (supplanting oil and coal interests) and the green party (this party has no idea how radiation works).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I tend to assume that executives have a strong conservative bent no matter what industry they're in. More often than not, it's true.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

QuarkJets posted:

I tend to assume that executives have a strong conservative bent no matter what industry they're in. More often than not, it's true.

Probably this. The major fleets (Exelon, Duke) also have coal plants they own and operate. So you get poo poo where they simultaneously tout how amazing and green nuclear power is even as they argue that a coal fly ash spill into a river isn't all that bad, just a lil oopsie.

I'm bleeding heart and all that, but I don't really care about the political leaning of the energy source. I care more about the energy source.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Definitely, but there's a big difference between a pro business republican and randroids.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Definitely, but there's a big difference between a pro business republican and randroids.

No argument there

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I used to support nuclear power but an atomic energy lobbyist used the wrong pronoun while attempting to speak in support of some gender issues so I'm back looking for an ideologically pure source of energy.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I used to support nuclear power but an atomic energy lobbyist used the wrong pronoun while attempting to speak in support of some gender issues so I'm back looking for an ideologically pure source of energy.

Twitter and tumblr outrage would make an amazing energy source.
Because its driven by perpetual motion. :c00l:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Baronjutter posted:

No true energy source!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

We still hate Elon Musk though, right? I wouldn't want to make excuses for the political leanings of only one favored sector of the energy industry.