Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
The cool thing about the vigilante costume is it was actually really menacing, it looked like something a slasher villain might wear in a horror movie, and the way it obscured only his eyes gave him a really unique, eery appearance. It was actually a really great costume, so the red body-suit, even if it's "okay", is a huge downgrade.

IMO you could never do those great shots where Daredevil is suddenly looming in the shadowy background with the new costume. The vigilante costume was really evocative and beautiful in it's simplicity, the super hero costume just looks like any other super hero costume - colored leather and a goofy looking headpiece/mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The thing about how good the vigilante costume looked is that now I know that Iron Fist is going to look loving AWESOME.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I almost hope a running joke in the beginning of season 2 is criminals laughing at his outfit and he doesn't get it due to his blindness.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

greatn posted:

Presenting himself as a blind superhero is a little compromising of his secret id.

He was already doing that by having a black bandana wrapped around his head and eyes. At least with a superhero costume people might think he has a way of seeing out.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Snak posted:

The thing about how good the vigilante costume looked is that now I know that Iron Fist is going to look loving AWESOME.

I'm personally hoping for the classic green and yellow costume with the deep V neck and the giant collar, but I am prepared to be disappointed,

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Oasx posted:

He was already doing that by having a black bandana wrapped around his head and eyes. At least with a superhero costume people might think he has a way of seeing out.

The idea that he could see out but others couldn't see his eyes is among the more believable things that are possible within the confines of the show. Its a hell of a lot more effective at hiding someones identity than say Batman's cowl. I also liked that his suit was form fitting while his civilian clothes were pretty loose so his body shape was pretty well concealed. It was a bit surprising that none of the 150 dudes he beat the poo poo out of didn't think to mention that his eyes were totally covered.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SiKboy posted:

I'm personally hoping for the classic green and yellow costume with the deep V neck and the giant collar, but I am prepared to be disappointed,
The most important element of the costume is the bright yellow slippers.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oasx posted:

Must have been pretty tough for the actor (and doubles) to do all those action scenes while not being able to see.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Depending on the fabric used, it is entirely possible to see through what looks like opaque material on the outside.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Fasdar posted:

Depending on the fabric used, it is entirely possible to see through what looks like opaque material on the outside.

This isn't just a hypothetical, the costumer did an interview and talked about making sure that mask was see through because, as said, there are very few real-life blind kung fu masters doing stuntwork in Hollywood.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I'm hoping for shirtless with Tattoo on chest.
Aka this look as his main costume.

edit: but replace the metal wrist bands with regular wrist wraps, like a normal person would wear.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Snak posted:

I'm hoping for shirtless with Tattoo on chest.
Aka this look as his main costume.

edit: but replace the metal wrist bands with regular wrist wraps, like a normal person would wear.

If he STARTS shirtless, then how will we be able to tell that this fight is particularly taxing? Thats like suggesting that superman should have a ripped cape as his normal uniform. Giant, bright yellow popped disco collar for day to day wear, shirtless for poo poo Just Got Real fights.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

If he STARTS shirtless, then how will we be able to tell that this fight is particularly taxing? Thats like suggesting that superman should have a ripped cape as his normal uniform. Giant, bright yellow popped disco collar for day to day wear, shirtless for poo poo Just Got Real fights.

Easy, the more real poo poo gets, the more his fist will glow.

edit: have his chi energy BURN HIS SHIRT OFF when poo poo really gets real.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Just finishing watching this and read the last dozen pages of the thread. Definitely an awesome show, but what's the deal with making such a fuss over Matt never killing anybody, when he literally sets Nobu on fire and watches him burn to death? Everything else you could handwave away as 'he's just crippling people, not killing them', but that was pretty black and white.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Here's the end of the Nobu fight, for reference:

https://youtu.be/G4TJWBT77uA?t=306

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Vulpes posted:

Just finishing watching this and read the last dozen pages of the thread. Definitely an awesome show, but what's the deal with making such a fuss over Matt never killing anybody, when he literally sets Nobu on fire and watches him burn to death? Everything else you could handwave away as 'he's just crippling people, not killing them', but that was pretty black and white.

It is more about Matt not setting out with the intent to kill someone. In the Nobu fight it was pretty clear Matt was about to be killed.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Vulpes posted:

There is a difference between killing and murder. Matt didn't set out to murder Nobu; he didn't even want to fight him. While I would certainly say that Matt should probably bring something up in confession ("I fought a guy and he went on fire and died. How many Hail Mary's for that?") it's not up there with Murder 1, in the legal sense.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I don't really buy the 'he started it' defence. It's easy for a viewer to say 'he only kills when he's in mortal danger', but it's a lot harder for the character to draw that line mid-battle. There were plenty of other fights in the show where Matt was down and basically out for the count, but manages to regroup and non-lethally subdue his opponent(s).

For the record, I like that he killed Nobu, I just wish they had acknowledged it, even just as a throwaway line to the priest or something.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Vulpes posted:

I don't really buy the 'he started it' defence. It's easy for a viewer to say 'he only kills when he's in mortal danger', but it's a lot harder for the character to draw that line mid-battle. There were plenty of other fights in the show where Matt was down and basically out for the count, but manages to regroup and non-lethally subdue his opponent(s).

For the record, I like that he killed Nobu, I just wish they had acknowledged it, even just as a throwaway line to the priest or something.

I dunno, I feel like that fight was distinctly Matt at his most overwhelmed.
Though I agree they should have acknowledged it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's actually what I hate about "super heroes who don't kill" in general: How the gently caress can you beat people senseless, through them off buildings, and then claim you're not a killer. This whole comic-book bullshit rule is based on the idea that it's always possible to stop just short of killing people. The reality is that if you are hitting someone, the might die. If you are hitting them a lot and throwing them off a 5 story building, they might die. The idea that heroes are better than villains because villains choose to kill people and heroes don't is this artificial fictional difference that doesn't make any sense.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Vulpes posted:

Not sure why you're still using spoiler tags.

Also I disagree. His fight with Nobu was qualitatively different, in the sense that Nobu made it clear, both with his words and his actions, that it was a fight to the death. Matt was also outmatched and didn't have the option of merely subduing his opponent.

Besides, we're talking about a guy who drops fire extinguishers on people's heads from the fifth floor, which can easily be fatal. Even with his superpowers there was no way for Matt to know that doing so would not have killed the guy - he just got lucky. So he doesn't really have an issue with killing people when he needs to. He just avoids it as much as possible, and does that pretty successfully imo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The idea with Nobu is that I don't think Matt intended anything. He just deflected the attack and whoops, irony.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Whenever I've broken a bulb it's never been that dramatic.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Snak posted:

That's actually what I hate about "super heroes who don't kill" in general: How the gently caress can you beat people senseless, through them off buildings, and then claim you're not a killer. This whole comic-book bullshit rule is based on the idea that it's always possible to stop just short of killing people. The reality is that if you are hitting someone, the might die. If you are hitting them a lot and throwing them off a 5 story building, they might die. The idea that heroes are better than villains because villains choose to kill people and heroes don't is this artificial fictional difference that doesn't make any sense.

College Humor settled this issue definitively:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

Another funny, probably-intentionally parallel to TDK that I just noticed: Matt starts out his career wearing hockey pants.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 4, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only problem with the Nobu fight is that it's never mentioned again. For all the angst about murder vs not murder and even a conversation with Claire about the consequences of his actions, the one time he totally kills a dude and it's never mentioned again. Like, at least talk to the priest about it or meditate on it or something. Don't just burn a guy to death and never think twice. Justified or not, that's some hosed up poo poo, man.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

The only problem with the Nobu fight is that it's never mentioned again. For all the angst about murder vs not murder and even a conversation with Claire about the consequences of his actions, the one time he totally kills a dude and it's never mentioned again. Like, at least talk to the priest about it or meditate on it or something. Don't just burn a guy to death and never think twice. Justified or not, that's some hosed up poo poo, man.

My feelings exactly on this situation.

I feel like it's going to double up on the dumb and reveal in season 2 that he didn't actually die somehow, though. edit: And then people will go "see, it's fine, cuz he didn't die!" as if the characters would have known that at the time.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 4, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think I understand where all the confusion is coming from. The moment he put on that facemask Nobu became a ninja, and everyone knows that ninjas aren't people.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One of the things I really like about the Marvel Cinematic stuff is that, by and large, they don't pretend that our heroes never kill the people they're fighting, never ever ever. So Matt's continued insistence that he's not a killer even when it becomes clear that's only true because he's gotten lucky a lot, becomes a meaningful window into who he is and what's important to him rather than just another HE DOESN'T KILL BECAUSE SUPERHEROES DON'T KILL example.

Also, while he didn't go there intending to kill Nobu, he did go in intending to kill Fisk. I suspect that he's rationalizing Nobu's death as an accident that Nobu brought on himself (which isn't entirely untrue). I agree it would have been nice to have some acknowledgement of this, but Matt arguably had other things on his mind in the aftermath.

Yes, this is both hosed-up and hypocritical. Because Matt is a hosed-up hypocrite. This is a feature, not a bug.

(My guess is that Nobu just became the next candidate for whatever was going on with that creepy Hand kid, but that's just a guess.)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 4, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

docbeard posted:

Yes, this is both hosed-up and hypocritical. Because Matt is a hosed-up hypocrite. This is a feature, not a bug.

But he KNOWS he's a hypocrite and he's bothered by it, which puts him ahead of a lot of comic book characters. Those sometimes he does get all whiny.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just want MoonKnight to have a tv show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

It's like they picked the worst size of eye holes.

I think that's my biggest problem with his costume. The eyes just look weird.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I would think dropping a fire extinguisher on someone from several floors up would kill the poo poo out of them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My first thought when that happened was "Welp that man is dead."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I would think dropping a fire extinguisher on someone from several floors up would kill the poo poo out of them.

Yeah, and if you do the math, they were at least on the third floor when they dropped the fire extinguisher on him. We can see that there's at least one floor above them as well, and they later take that same guy up to the roof and throw him off. So they dropped a fire extinguisher on his head from three stories and threw him off the roof of AT LEAST a four story building. But it's okay because Daredevil doesn't kill people.

I guess I see why all the heroes consider villains evil for killing people, since it literally seems impossible to do by accident, even if you do a bunch of stuff that should kill them. Hell, after Foggy saves Karen from the two thugs, Foggy hits the one that's on his knees IN THE HEAD with a wooden baseball bat, just like, for good measure.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Periodiko posted:

The cool thing about the vigilante costume is it was actually really menacing, it looked like something a slasher villain might wear in a horror movie, and the way it obscured only his eyes gave him a really unique, eery appearance. It was actually a really great costume, so the red body-suit, even if it's "okay", is a huge downgrade.

IMO you could never do those great shots where Daredevil is suddenly looming in the shadowy background with the new costume. The vigilante costume was really evocative and beautiful in it's simplicity, the super hero costume just looks like any other super hero costume - colored leather and a goofy looking headpiece/mask.

The superhero costume and Fisk's run were what made the final episode much less enjoyable for me than the rest of the show. It was such a bad departure from the style of earlier episodes for no apparent reason other than comicbook nostalgia and reference.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah, and if you do the math, they were at least on the third floor when they dropped the fire extinguisher on him. We can see that there's at least one floor above them as well, and they later take that same guy up to the roof and throw him off. So they dropped a fire extinguisher on his head from three stories and threw him off the roof of AT LEAST a four story building. But it's okay because Daredevil doesn't kill people.

I guess I see why all the heroes consider villains evil for killing people, since it literally seems impossible to do by accident, even if you do a bunch of stuff that should kill them. Hell, after Foggy saves Karen from the two thugs, Foggy hits the one that's on his knees IN THE HEAD with a wooden baseball bat, just like, for good measure.

Yeah, as realistic as Daredevil is, what with all his wounds persisting and slowing him down and stuff, the next level of realism needs to show these villains suffering from terrible injuries and having to commit more crimes just to be able to pay their hospital bills.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Snak posted:

Yeah, this show suffers from TV-foam-weapon syndrome, but they did better than a lot of shows do, they do have claire there as a "what the gently caress is wrong with you" voice (I think she specifically calls out the fact that yeah he didn't kill a dude, but basically only technically and guy's in a coma or whatever), although she justifies what he's doing more the longer she's around him. I think that's pretty nifty. Matt's a charismatic guy, and he knows how to manipulate people into siding with him, and that's totally what's happening. I would not be surprised if they're laying groundwork for some serious tortured-soul/you've-really-truly-crossed-the-line type poo poo in maybe season 3/4/5 when it comes back to bite him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rubiks Pubes posted:

He dropped it very carefully, I'm sure.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

surc posted:

Yeah, this show suffers from TV-foam-weapon syndrome, but they did better than a lot of shows do, they do have claire there as a "what the gently caress is wrong with you" voice (I think she specifically calls out the fact that yeah he didn't kill a dude, but basically only technically and guy's in a coma or whatever), although she justifies what he's doing more the longer she's around him.

I don't know, Claire comes across as someone who was only a small step away from all that anyways. She tells him exactly where to torture the guy without prompting after being in Matt's presence for only a few minutes. That doesn't really speak to someone reluctant to partake in all his crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Re: Nobu. It isn't like Nobu was doused in gas and then Matt lit a match and threw it at him. Nobu only ran against the wall etc because Matt deflected an attack. That's a homicide but not necessarily a criminal homicide.