Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

lol if you don't have a sultan to play board games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

lol if you don't have a sultan to play board games.

lol the meticulously placed Pathfinder PHB

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Of course it's pathfinder.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They're not really "shipping" they're "delivering"
E: oh snap next page something something board games

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played mysterious tonight and the the newbies I played with (without prompting from me) agreed that it was a nice game with a few issues: the end of the game and the fact that you can build a meta even after a few games. A Dixie replacer this is not.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

FISHMANPET posted:

They're not really "shipping" they're "delivering"

It's not delivering, it's ethics in board games digiornolism

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Scyther posted:

With 4 players it absolutely overstays its welcome, because you need 2 :points to win and it's not that hard to target the leader so almost every game goes to n+1 rounds where n is player count.

I play it like I play love letter: play until everyone is tired of it, despite what the rulebook says. Usually for us that's 2 or 3 hands.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pimpmust posted:

But speaking of Warhammery things, how's Dogs of War (the boardgame)? Can I live the dream of being a mercenary captain? Please rate it in number of massive hats contained, so that I may compare it to other games of similar fancy.

It has six massive hats per player.

It's a pretty good game, but it's better if you have the Kickstarter captains. These are only defined by one special ability, though, so if you know those you can make proxy role cards.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Tekopo posted:

Played mysterious tonight and the the newbies I played with (without prompting from me) agreed that it was a nice game with a few issues: the end of the game and the fact that you can build a meta even after a few games. A Dixie replacer this is not.

Your autocorrect makes it sound like you had an evening of playing Chinese knock off versions of board games.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'm selling off scale models and board games. Check my SA Mart thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717794&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post444870001

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The End posted:

Your autocorrect makes it sound like you had an evening of playing Chinese knock off versions of board games.

You mean, Confederate knockoff.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Shame on you inflicting those turds on others.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The best game in there is Risk Godstorm

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Do people not like Skulls and Roses? It's not one of my favorites, but I've found it's always a good fit for the types of situations it seems meant for.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

OtspIII posted:

Do people not like Skulls and Roses? It's not one of my favorites, but I've found it's always a good fit for the types of situations it seems meant for.

Yeah, I think Skulls and Roses is a pretty good game for those situations where you're waiting on people to arrive / need a break between games.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If your group talks a lot of poo poo, it's hard to beat Skull & Roses in its weight class.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
For some reason dominion ended up being the our groups Most poo poo Talking game

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Just got home after a couple plays of the XCOM board game. I enjoyed it. I probably wouldn't buy it, but it's the only cooperative board game that I've played that I'd actually play again. It was a good blend of frantic and tactical, and the difference in style between different invasion types was very clear and suggests good things about the replayability (and difficulty).

But then, I haven't played Space Alert yet.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Play Space Alert, the hype is there for a reason. I would've, but tonight I got to "enjoy" a nice game of Quelf instead. I'd describe playing it, but I think the description I linked speaks for itself.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

NuclearPotato posted:

Play Space Alert, the hype is there for a reason. I would've, but tonight I got to "enjoy" a nice game of Quelf instead. I'd describe playing it, but I think the description I linked speaks for itself.

BGG posted:

Quelf is the unpredictable party game that gives Random a new name!

So, how bad is it compared to Fluxx?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

NuclearPotato posted:

My wife bought this for me a few years back. I read the description and refused to play it, ever.

This was before we were even aware of modern boardgames! Quelf is just so obviously awful.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Quelf makes Fluxx look like a goddamn priceless gemstone.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Interestingly, a friend of a friend just recently posted on Facebook saying he wants a new game, but can't imagine anything more exciting than Quelf.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
CSI is having a Star Wars sale for May 4th

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2289?&resultsperpage=25&sb=price|desc

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
There seemed to be enough interest for a second game of Pax Porfiriana, and it's easy enough to moderate, so there.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fat Samurai posted:

There seemed to be enough interest for a second game of Pax Porfiriana, and it's easy enough to moderate, so there.

This game is easier than I thought it'd be, once I penetrated the arcane rulebook. These things need more diagrams :argh:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Just got home after a couple plays of the XCOM board game. I enjoyed it. I probably wouldn't buy it, but it's the only cooperative board game that I've played that I'd actually play again. It was a good blend of frantic and tactical, and the difference in style between different invasion types was very clear and suggests good things about the replayability (and difficulty).

But then, I haven't played Space Alert yet.
Space Alert is incredible and when I was in uni we used to play it almost every week with friends and it got a few people into boardgaming.

How is XCOM? I was debating on picking that up this week but I've heard mixed things about it, like it's OK but not actually worth a pick up unless you're a big fan of XCOM (which I kinda am but not all my friends and partner are).

Also anyone got much to say on The Witcher board game?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

bobvonunheil posted:

This game is easier than I thought it'd be, once I penetrated the arcane rulebook. These things need more diagrams :argh:

Pax Porfiriana doesn't even fit in the box as is, good thing they spent several pages ranting about economics instead of making the drat thing legible.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The Witcher is terrible. The bastard child of Talisman and elder sign

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bubble-T posted:

Pax Porfiriana doesn't even fit in the box as is, good thing they spent several pages ranting about economics instead of making the drat thing legible.

But it's the philosophy of the game. How can you appreciate it without a treatrise in Objetivism?

In other news, I played Galaxy Trucker yesterday with other 3 players, two of which had played it once before. I love the process every new player goes through, from "this game is unfair and sucks and it's impossible to build a capable ship" to "I'm going to land on this planet just so you can't. Also, your ship just exploded and it's great."

It usually happens in round 2, and you can see it happening.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Space Alert is incredible and when I was in uni we used to play it almost every week with friends and it got a few people into boardgaming.

How is XCOM? I was debating on picking that up this week but I've heard mixed things about it, like it's OK but not actually worth a pick up unless you're a big fan of XCOM (which I kinda am but not all my friends and partner are).

Also anyone got much to say on The Witcher board game?

It's poo poo. The only enjoyment to be had is fooling around with the Ipad on your first play through and then you realize you're playing a really boring push your luck mechanic under a X-com theme annnnd you say fuuuuuccccckkkk they got me again, then you just sit in your room alone listening to X-com theme on replay for an hour.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Jedit posted:

It has six massive hats per player.

It's a pretty good game, but it's better if you have the Kickstarter captains. These are only defined by one special ability, though, so if you know those you can make proxy role cards.

That does seem like an acceptable amount of hard hat currency. But poo poo, there's kickstarter exclusive stuff? Guess I'll have to hunt those rules down.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

No discount on the imperial assault main game? weak.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pimpmust posted:

That does seem like an acceptable amount of hard hat currency. But poo poo, there's kickstarter exclusive stuff? Guess I'll have to hunt those rules down.

It's literally four sentences. I'll write them down for you myself if you're not bothered about exclusive Kickstarter hats.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Let's talk logistics. I'm considering to fight the ever-rising number of needless game boxes by dumping some poo poo into plano boxes or similar fancy toolboxes. To the guys who went this way, what do you do with the actual boards?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lichtenstein posted:

Let's talk logistics. I'm considering to fight the ever-rising number of needless game boxes by dumping some poo poo into plano boxes or similar fancy toolboxes. To the guys who went this way, what do you do with the actual boards?

I use Hobby Lobby artists cases with Broken Token or Go7Gaming inserts. There's enough room inside to hold boards, and any loose tokens go in tubevelopes. I can store 2 or 3 games per box. I can take a picture when I get home if you like.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh god, Quelf. I played it one time, with an old girlfriend and two of her roommates and it was the most awkward loving thing ever. Think about that time you tried to play board games with a group, and how one person who didn’t want to play dragged things down even with a really good game. Not only did we have one of those, but imagine that with a game where every turn someone is required to do something stupid, like only talk in rhymes or sit on their hands or make up a song on the spot or something.

I think the point of the game isn’t that it’s supposed to be a game, but rather a catalyst for acting silly with friends, like Charades. The thing is, it’s lovely even at that because half of the cards are just random trivia or “you have to follow some arbitrary law now”

I never want to touch that loving thing again.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Flipswitch posted:

Probably not worth the price of admission, but I'd play it if someone else has a copy. The actual activities are fairly straightforward, the challenge comes from the timer and from dealing with strings of bad dice luck. Managing the budget was at least challenging, since that requires communication under time pressure, but it was a bit too much like actual work.

After seeing Argent: The Consortium at the store yesterday, I'm very interested in it. It looks like what I wanted Waterdeep to be: thematic worker placement with a ton of game-to-game variation and asymmetrical powers for the players. Sounds nastier, more cutthroat, and less generally relaxed than Lords of Waterdeep, but I guess that's the tradeoff.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 4, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Corbeau posted:

After seeing Argent: The Consortium at the store yesterday, I'm very interested in it. It looks like what I wanted Waterdeep to be: thematic worker placement with a ton of game-to-game variation and asymmetrical powers for the players. Sounds nastier, more cutthroat, and less generally relaxed than Lords of Waterdeep, but I guess that's the tradeoff.

The other caveat about Argent is that it requires a pretty sizeable table to play. Also, some people may get lost in the game (in that they won't know what to do) because it's easier to economize "get as many victory points" than "get more stuff than other people that may or may not be relevant, and also victory points." It's not a race to the top of one track, it's getting to the top of more tracks than other players (I would love to see a VP track that somehow works for this), and some people may find that difficult to grasp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I use Hobby Lobby artists cases with Broken Token or Go7Gaming inserts. There's enough room inside to hold boards, and any loose tokens go in tubevelopes. I can store 2 or 3 games per box. I can take a picture when I get home if you like.

Yeah I want to see.