Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

V. Illych L. posted:

Eowyn is a direct consequence of him realising this and going "oh poo poo, that's right better try to do this well" and she is probably the best character in that whole trilogy, so there's that

Faramir and Eowyn are the characters whose story arcs are easiest to relate to and which make the most sense. Also a romance that isn't incredibly dull like Aragorn's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
like fwiw i think it's supposed to be a pretty sympathetic view of jews (particularly compared some of the other suggested ones like orcs as japanese, ke-rist). they're tough and loyal and they like jewels and gold and they're very dedicated to laws and have beards; he's obviously wrote them from a fond place. still though.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

you can think belief in biological racism is idiotic and still think jews love money as a matter of culture, a lot of people even today still have that attitude.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Don't jog in less than your Sunday best.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Venom Snake posted:

well lucas sure was loving deranged when he decided Jar Jar was a good idea.

like the dude literally said "oh, oh gently caress I went to far in a lot of places" when he was done making the phantom menace because even he knew it was garbo.

I still think the evil space koreans were worse than Jar Jar but I guess people forget about them since they get less screen time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CoolCab posted:

like fwiw i think it's supposed to be a pretty sympathetic view of jews (particularly compared some of the other suggested ones like orcs as japanese, ke-rist). they're tough and loyal and they like jewels and gold and they're very dedicated to laws and have beards; he's obviously wrote them from a fond place. still though.

They are based on germanic dwarves, not jews, ffs.

Like how racist are we that a race likes gold and we all go "Lol they are Jews!"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LorrdErnie posted:

I still think the evil space koreans were worse than Jar Jar but I guess people forget about them since they get less screen time

I thought they were space japanese?

I think Lucas got the anti-Japanese undertones from Die Hard and thought it'd be a good idea there.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

euphronius posted:

They are based on germanic dwarves, not jews, ffs.

Like how racist are we that a race likes gold and we all go "Lol they are Jews!"

still tolkien posted:

""The dwarves of course are quite obviously - wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic.""

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jar Jar was important to show how dumb and evil the Jedi and the Republic are. He has a point.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think this is more him seeing a similarity and running with it. fwiw, the dwarves literally carry the names of their inspirations in the edda

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You already posted that it and it does not argue against anything I said.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
The only entertaining versions of the prequels are the redletter media versions.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gravel Gravy posted:

The only entertaining versions of the prequels are the redletter media versions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Dwarves are obviously partly based on Jews but the comparison was intended by Tolkein to be favourable. Their language and culture are both designed to resemble Jews (diasporic but quite closed, master craftsmen, etc.)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

euphronius posted:

you called me racist for making the exact same comparison the author repeatedly said was the stated intention

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

euphronius posted:

Gimli probably posted:

"I'll open the first deli in the Undying Lands."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Dwarves language is alien to the Elves because it was created by Aule so semetic was a good choice to use.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

I thought they were space japanese?

I think Lucas got the anti-Japanese undertones from Die Hard and thought it'd be a good idea there.

I thought I remembered reading something about Lucas being very insistent that they should have korean accents over others but it could've been a dream because i cant find it now

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jesus christ

e. "severeadmiredemperorshrimp.gif"?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

What you get for having a nervous spasm at the chasm.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

jesus christ

e. "severeadmiredemperorshrimp.gif"?

That's how gfycat does urls instead of random numbers

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Jar Jar was important to show how dumb and evil the Jedi and the Republic are. He has a point.

consider, JarJar is the average voter within the Republic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CoolCab posted:

you called me racist for making the exact same comparison the author repeatedly said was the stated intention

He said the language was based on Hebrew or semitic languages which everyone agrees with and no one denies. He never said he based the dwarves on the Jews and in fact they are like a 1:1 correlation to germanic dwarfs.

He recognizes - like we all do - that nevertheless you can draw other accidental connections between the dwarves and the European stereotypical idea of the Jews.

Jesus christ cool cab!!!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

consider, JarJar is the average voter within the Republic

So that'd make Naboo Deep South?

Guess it did look humid as hell.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHYuTT2nubE

the dude lives

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

wait no it was thai: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Neimoidian

quote:

Silas Carson, who portrayed Nute Gunray in Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, was asked to imitate a Thai actor's reading of his lines when looping Nute Gunray's dialog for the movie.[30]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

for now

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

He said the language was based on Hebrew or semitic languages which everyone agrees with and no one denies. He never said he based the dwarves on the Jews and in fact they are like a 1:1 correlation to germanic dwarfs.

He recognizes - like we all do - that nevertheless you can draw other accidental connections between the dwarves and the European stereotypical idea of the Jews.

Jesus christ cool cab!!!

hey euphronious, what are german dwarves based on?

guess. go on, guess.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

this is like 10000 times more racist then anything tolkien did lol

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

zoux posted:

for now

well you can say that about all living people really

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well, that's nice. that must've been a terrifying experience

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

euphronius posted:

Jesus christ cool cab!!!

quote:

In the original BBC-interview, the text of which is given by Zak Cramer in Mallorn 44 (2006), Tolkien’s statement is longer. It turns out that Tolkien had added a remark about “a tremendous love of the artefact, and of course the immense warlike capacity of the Jews, which we tend to forget nowadays.” This was cut from the interview.

Given the work he put into creating this Semitic-like language, Tolkien’s comparison of Dwarves and Jews was obviously not made on the spur of the moment. In fact, he had made it years before, the first time in an unpublished letter of September 1947, quoted in The History of The Hobbit: “Now Dwarves have their secret language, but like Jews and Gypsies use the language of the country” (Rateliff 757). Eight years later, on December 8, 1955, he wrote to Naomi Mitchison: “I do think of the ‘Dwarves’ like Jews: at once native and alien in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their native tongue” (Letters 229).

I can't check the citation tho.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

haha I missed this the first time

quote:

In the German version of the prequel trilogy, the Neimoidians were given French accents. In the French, Spanish, Czech and Italian versions, the Neimoidians were given Russian accents.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

My Imaginary GF posted:

hey euphronious, what are german dwarves based on?

guess. go on, guess.

these myths predate the diaspora, you realise

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

well, that's nice. that must've been a terrifying experience

poo poo like that happens so fast you only really process your fear fully after the fact

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Holy christ

quote:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

V. Illych L. posted:

these myths predate the diaspora, you realise

jewish existance predates the diaspora as well, dickwad

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

wait how the heck did i forget about the loving SAND PEOPLE when talking about Lucas racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

euphronius posted:

Holy christ

I mean it's still arguable that he was drawing on a certain cultural well without doing it intentionally, it doesn't make the dwarves not inspired by jews

• Locked thread