Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Oh, I agree - it's a car being driven "like a grandma" :v: by an 18-year-old, first time on a public road with a stick shift. I just couldn't resist the dumb "LOL GM interior" joke.

I suppose I could have gone after the driver's hair, but nothing sprang to mind for me the way looking at that ruined dashboard did.

Shoulda got a 3rd gen, that way there's no pesky airbags to ruin the dash when you crash into stuff. It's not horribly unsafe, it's an interior preservation feature :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Yup, it's been done with a slightly newer chassis:
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35742

I still think it's a good idea. Make sure it has that 1-ton truck grumbly idle.

I just looked through that thread, looks like he gave up on the swap. Lame.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That means 13 Inch has the opportunity to both go where no one has gone before, and complete something previously considered non-completeable. That's worth like 5x the usual accomplishment points!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Knowing for a fact the car hasnt moved under its own power since about 2009, and the tires only currently have air in them because he filled them to roll the car, I think we are all on the same page on agreeing that a Bitchin Camero it may be, it's not a $4,000 Bitchin' Camaro :catstare:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

No, it's a $500 Bitchin Camaro. $799 if it starts, $1199 if it moves under its own power.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
He actually told me it's because its the :siren: Z28 with FOUR TURBOS :siren: and if it were just a Berlinetta he'd be able to let it go for $1500. I said sorry, I don't think we're even in the same book on this one and went back home.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

He actually told me it's because its the :siren: Z28 with FOUR TURBOS :siren: and if it were just a Berlinetta he'd be able to let it go for $1500. I said sorry, I don't think we're even in the same book on this one and went back home.

Wait didnt you say he wrenched?!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Preoptopus posted:

Wait didnt you say he wrenched?!
No, he knows 13 wrenches.

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong (see below).

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, he owns a shop. I think it was a translation error for Turbo 400 or whatever the transmission is in those, He's a Serbian or somewhere in that region immigrant but he's been here since the '80s. Still, I was expecting something pretty different and he's already turned down a $2500 cash offer. I just wanted it because its hideous, but apparently people actually think its worth at least $2500 and I could tell he wasnt blowing smoke up my rear end to try to talk me into buying it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Here hope this makes you feel a little better. This is what I deal with.

https://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5005199283.html

4 grand in Wisco will land you a ten year old cavalier. Its insane. Cash for Clunkers hosed car guys over big.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That actually looks in pretty decent shape whereas this one not only doesnt run but pretty much needs everything. Also the transmission is slipping, I forgot to mention that. Or, it slipped when it was parked.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wrong rally wheels, wrong gauge faces, cheap-o power window conversion, rust repair. That car is nowhere NEAR "Hagerty Valuation," which is insurance value. It's a 6-7k car, and won't be more for a very long time.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I heard these cars regularly sell for $30-40K with a little bit of work from someone with one just recently, 6K seems a little low for such an investment opportunity.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I heard these cars regularly sell for $30-40K with a little bit of work from someone with one just recently, 6K seems a little low for such an investment opportunity.

When I was in high school, my girlfriend's sister's boyfriend ran a transmission shop and they had an SD455 in for tranny work. That car is worth money now, was then, too. Not many others of that generation will be worth much... but drat, I've always liked the inherent trailer park look they have.

SO MUCH INVESTED

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Someday, I'm gonna own a black late second gen Firebird with the gold phoenix on the hood. I have so much shame over this. :v:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Here, now you can do it on any car

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The fact it was offered as a factory paint job is still amazing to me. No one else has ever come close to that level of kick rear end.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My friend had a '77 and I love that car

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The 81 Trans Am Turbo is effectively my fetish object in all my Tumblr car fanfic. Lately it's had a lot of Fords though.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

Here hope this makes you feel a little better. This is what I deal with.

https://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5005199283.html

4 grand in Wisco will land you a ten year old cavalier. Its insane. Cash for Clunkers hosed car guys over big.

I've managed to find beaters for under a grand in rural central wisconsin, but you have to jump on them quick. I'm amazed how many classics are still being pulled out of barns around here too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Leperflesh posted:

Buy the Camaro and put a Maserati BiTurbo into it. It'll be the first ever swap of its kind, anywhere. (Actually, has anyone ever transplanted a Maserati BiTurbo into any other car?)

Put the biturbo in the camaro and the sbc in the maserati. :catdrugs:

Make sure you put period correct badges for each drivetrain on its recipient vehicle.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if I had the time space and money for Two projects of that caliber why would you assume they both wouldn't be Biturbos?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

if I had the time space and money for Two projects of that caliber why would you assume they both wouldn't be Biturbos?

Hmm yes. double engined biturbo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Go full Roman...Two Biturbos hitched like horses to the Camaro chariot.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Shampoo posted:

Hmm yes. double engined ended biturbo.

:colbert:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
CLICK THIS NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpJIjizOiZE

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Well, the easiest way to go faster is to cut weight.

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 3, 2015

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Go full Roman...Two Biturbos hitched like horses to the Camaro chariot.

This is perhaps the best idea of all time.
When I win the lottery I will see this executed.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

As if there ever were two Biturbos in the entire world that ran at the same time.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
This one almost ran, a couple months ago:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4997275215.html

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In all seriousness, we have people on AI with a proven ability to build pretty much exactly this kind of motor, and I reckon we can get a bit of crowdfunding together to facilitate your demise a cool project...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just tell me what longblock I am getting at the next 50% off junkyard sale and I will gladly donate one to this endeavor.

It may be covered in a unique iron-age protective coating you are unfamiliar with however. This coating is known as rust.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

In all seriousness, we have people on AI with a proven ability to build pretty much exactly this kind of motor, and I reckon we can get a bit of crowdfunding together to facilitate your demise a cool project...
Doogle for sure.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Requesting a picture of the civic next to a nissan versa note.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

The Grand Am's battery finally died today so we made an unplanned stop at your shop. I did not see the tinycar. :colbert: You looked busy, though! Sorry for not bringing a present for you this time; we would've needed another jump if we'd stopped anywhere. :haw:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

LoreOfSerpents posted:

The Grand Am's battery finally died today so we made an unplanned stop at your shop. I did not see the tinycar. :colbert: You looked busy, though! Sorry for not bringing a present for you this time; we would've needed another jump if we'd stopped anywhere. :haw:

I saw the Grand Am! I Forget when it was though, but yeah since you always say hi I was only thinking man that looks.just like the one that comes.down here.

If it wasn't by the dumpster then the clown car was over in the Lowe's parking lot.

Thought of the day:

HOW loving SLOW DO YOU NEED TO BE TO.FINALLY CAUSE SOMEONE WITH 50HP IN A VERY HILLY CITY A COMPLETE ROAD RAGE MELTDOWN

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You are driving the wrong car for a guy that is even remotely susceptible to road rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get it that's the thing. But when I get stuck Behind some lady doing her god Damned hair in her car literally going 10-15 in a one lane 30 zone from loving 52nd to 125th Ave and during the one to.two spots I could legally pass she accelerates to.block me in and then literally slows Down to where I'm actually cruising in first loving gear behind her the entire way to work it pisses me off

• Locked thread