Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i would drive a mitsubishi wrx

e: kind of weird to see world records that aren't tajima tbh

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Anyone got any good Scott/Amundson documentaries? I just watched a doc about Krackauer's climb of the tallest mountain in Antarctica and they talk a lot about the two expeditions, and the contrast between the approaches of the two teams. I also found this marvellously damning and pointed interview with one of his biographers

quote:

You made a reputation taking apart the Scott legend. But if he was so incompetent, how did he become a national hero?
In Britain there is a tradition of admiration for the glorious failure, a Nelsonian idea of death in the hour of triumph. The other thing is a streak of morbidity. People love a good death, so Scott's story appealed to that undercurrent.

But Scott's diaries are eloquent, poignant...
People say he's eloquent. I find his writing appallingly maudlin and self-regardant, almost pathologically inward-looking, a bit like Lawrence of Arabia. In Scott's diary there's self-pity and comments about poor luck with the weather. I read Amundsen and much prefer his writing. Scott's diary is designed to make things seem heroic; Amundsen underplays things: there's underlying humour, irony, self-deprecation. Returning to Scott, I thought, "oh no, not more of this romanticised trash".

So why do most people only remember Scott?
For British people, Amundsen was a foreigner, whom you don't celebrate. He beat our man and I think that is resented. There's been a tortuous effort to show Scott was the real winner because he suffered and died - he's the sacrificial hero. People feel that when someone does something very competently and, even worse, plays it down, it is somehow cheating.

What do you say to the criticisms of explorer Ranulph Fiennes, who says you can't judge Scott as you have never been to the South Pole?
I've not been to Antarctica, but I've got a background of Nordic skiing - I've been skiing for longer than I care to remember. When I read Scott's Last Expedition I thought, what's he going on about, moaning about the snow? He's describing perfect snow for skiing.

People like meteorologist Susan Solomon also disagree with you about Scott...
Solomon belongs to the school that says but for the weather, Scott would have got through. But there's a saying in Scandinavian countries that there is no bad weather, only bad clothing. It is much easier to protect yourself against the cold than heat - as warm-blooded creatures, we are walking furnaces, so all we need is proper insulation. If Scott's party had worn fur, there would have been no problem. But there was a lingering belief that civilised men didn't use furs - they were for savages. It was OK to use reindeer fur in sleeping bags but not for clothing. Amundsen, however, understood the Inuit, learned from them, and wore fur clothing.

What were Scott's biggest mistakes?
His first mistake was to depend on hauling sledges by foot. This is idiotic, because it is slow and tortuous. But even allowing for that, he could have still survived had he arranged his food depots at intervals which were adjusted to manhauling - which he didn't. On 13 February 1912, during his return, he nearly ran out of food. He wrote: "In future food must be worked out so... we do not run so short if the weather fails us." I am still outraged when I read this. There was no margin of error. When he was returning, it was a case of march or die.

Did Scott know they weren't going to make it?
Scott's letters and diary, written in language eerily like Peter Pan, read like a long suicide note. I don't think he could face failure, so it was a kind of suicide, lying down in the tent.

The diary implies that expedition members Edward Wilson and Henry Bowers were ready to start for the next depot to fetch supplies. It was only 11 miles, but something held them back. Even if one accepts Scott's record of a continuous blizzard - which I don't, on meteorological grounds - it was a following wind. Other explorers, such as Amundsen, travelled gratefully in such conditions. By the mores of the time, if Wilson and Bowers had survived but not Scott, they would have been accused of deserting their captain and been socially dead. Scott's writing implies he was interested in his reputation, not the lives of his followers. He probably persuaded the two to wait on the grounds their records would be found if kept in the tent but not if they fell on the trail. Wilson's letter to Mrs Oates [mother of the team's Captain Lawrence Oates] hints tragically at such pressure, and that, left to himself, Wilson would have kept going.

But Scott didn't just focus on the South Pole, he wanted to do new science. After all, his sleds were loaded with 15 kilograms of specimens when he died. Don't you have any sympathy?
Not really. Five lives were lost out of sheer incompetence. This is a dreadful thing. Scott was putting records ahead of human lives. Science is not worth sacrificing life for.

You write that Scott used science as a "moralistic fig leaf". What do you mean?

Scott was using science in order to give the geographical exploration a higher meaning, to enhance his stature because of intellectual snobbery. He also wanted it as insurance in case of failure to win the race to the South Pole. This dishonesty of purpose has an unfortunate effect. I believe it induces an almost schizoid state, which is not helpful when you're on the edge of survival. Amundsen understood you have to concentrate your efforts - you cannot spread yourself when you have got a goal.

But wasn't Scott's team ahead technologically?
Yes. But the problem was there was no proven technology for low-temperature travel. Scott told the engineer not to bother testing the tractors in cold chambers, and they failed. This was blind faith allied to slovenliness in the application of technology. Scott once said that gentlemen don't practice.

So Scott was interested in the glory of scientific discovery while Amundsen took the best ideas from science to be successful?
Exactly. Here's an example. When Arthur Hinks, the Royal Geographical Society's cartographer, knew Scott was going south, he held a seminar on navigation, explaining that longitude doesn't matter very much at high latitudes because the effect on your course is minimal. Hinks wrote a paper which came to the attention of one of Amundsen's officers. Amundsen realised instinctively that at the edges of survival you have got to save energy so didn't bother measuring longitude. Scott ignored Hinks, so Bowers wasted time looking up tables and doing calculations for a few hundred yards of meaningless accuracy.

Do you think that it's only when compared with Amundsen's seemingly effortless expedition that Scott can be truly understood?
Here's a telling statistic. Amundsen's party had around 100 years of skiing between them; Scott's could barely muster five. It seems to me that Amundsen had what the Greeks called arete, meaning being suited for what you do. By contrast, Scott was consumed with hubris, which is what killed him in the end.

It's very painful to read how easy Amundsen found it all - and how terrible Scott did...
When Olav Bjaaland [ski champion and a member of Amundsen's team] got to the South Pole, he said: "Here it's as flat as the lake at Morgedal [Norwegian village known as the cradle of skiing] and the skiing is good." To understand Amundsen, we must remember they regarded the South Pole as the world's longest ski race. Scott came from the romantic culture of heroism, where there is no heroism without suffering. He gloried in driving himself to the limit and this was a recipe for disaster.

I've found a Susan Solomon-centric doc but it's pretty kind to him compared to the picture you get from the interview and I'm after some more critical stuff and something that elevates Amundson who was, by all accounts a far more sensible and professional explorer

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 3, 2015

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Fatkraken posted:

Anyone got any good Scott/Amundson documentaries? I just watched a doc about Krackauer's climb of the tallest mountain in Antarctica and they talk a lot about the two expeditions, and the contrast between the approaches of the two teams. I also found this marvellously damning and pointed interview with one of his biographers

Good interview. It's entertaining how much Scott is revered in Britain, in spite of everything mentioned in that article. What was really interesting was seeing the presentation on the two expeditions in a museum in Oslo: They were sympathetic to Scott but pointed out the numerous problems he created for himself, with Amundsen using tried and true methods and being far more successful because of it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Plucky Brit posted:

Good interview. It's entertaining how much Scott is revered in Britain, in spite of everything mentioned in that article. What was really interesting was seeing the presentation on the two expeditions in a museum in Oslo: They were sympathetic to Scott but pointed out the numerous problems he created for himself, with Amundsen using tried and true methods and being far more successful because of it.

I think lately there has been a bit of a backlash against scott and shackleton has become the british antarctic explorer of choice, because he was more interested in getting people back alive than heroic death.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

I've found a Susan Solomon-centric doc but it's pretty kind to him compared to the picture you get from the interview and I'm after some more critical stuff and something that elevates Amundson who was, by all accounts a far more sensible and professional explorer

For a first-hand account of the Scott expedition a good one is The Worst Journey in the World, by Apsley Cherry-Garrard. He was a member of the expedition and talks a lot about the polar party's mistakes. The big ones I remember him mentioning are:
  • Relying on untested, mixed forms of transportation (dogs, ponies, and motor sledges).
  • Refusal to sacrifice dogs, resulting in poor depot placement.
  • Refusal to use pony snowshoes, on the advice of a team member who thought them a nuisance.
  • Poorly sealed fuel canisters allowing much of their fuel to evaporate.
  • Taking an extra man on the final push to the pole, so that one member was left without skis and had to walk.
  • Most importantly, massive miscalculation of the amount of food it takes to sustain heavy man-hauling. The final polar party was essentially starving to death even on full rations.
He doesn't talk quite as much about Amundsen except in the closing chapter of the book, but he provides a very thorough account of Scott's whole expedition, and enough about Amundsen to appreciate the the difference in methods.

The Worst Journey in the World, Ch. 19 posted:

In the broad perspective opened up by ten years’ distance, I see not one journey to the Pole, but two, in startling contrast one to another. On the one hand, Amundsen going straight there, getting there first, and returning without the loss of a single man, and without having put any greater strain on himself and his men than was all in the day’s work of polar exploration. Nothing more business-like could be imagined. On the other hand, our expedition, running appalling risks, performing prodigies of superhuman endurance, achieving immortal renown, commemorated in august cathedral sermons and by public statues, yet reaching the Pole only to find our terrible journey superfluous, and leaving our best men dead on the ice. To ignore such a contrast would be ridiculous: to write a book without accounting for it a waste of time.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
My family took a trip to Pike's Peak when I was four. We all got altitude sickness, the worst was me - I hurled all over everyone after being up there for a couple of hours. Totally recommend it for family trips.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Van Kraken posted:

For a first-hand account of the Scott expedition a good one is The Worst Journey in the World, by Apsley Cherry-Garrard. He was a member of the expedition and talks a lot about the polar party's mistakes. The big ones I remember him mentioning are:
  • Relying on untested, mixed forms of transportation (dogs, ponies, and motor sledges).
  • Refusal to sacrifice dogs, resulting in poor depot placement.
  • Refusal to use pony snowshoes, on the advice of a team member who thought them a nuisance.
  • Poorly sealed fuel canisters allowing much of their fuel to evaporate.
  • Taking an extra man on the final push to the pole, so that one member was left without skis and had to walk.
  • Most importantly, massive miscalculation of the amount of food it takes to sustain heavy man-hauling. The final polar party was essentially starving to death even on full rations.
He doesn't talk quite as much about Amundsen except in the closing chapter of the book, but he provides a very thorough account of Scott's whole expedition, and enough about Amundsen to appreciate the the difference in methods.

What does 'sacrificing dogs' and 'pony snowshoes' mean?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

And what's depot placement and how does it relate to sacrificed dogs ?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Sacrificing dogs means planning your expedition with the assumption that you will kill and eat your dogs as you go (and feed them to each other too)

Pony snowshoes presumably means snowshoes for ponies.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Pony snowshoes are just adorable so let's all focus on that.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Amundsen had planned on killing dogs for food at set points on his journey, viewing them as an expendable resource. Scott, on the other hand, refused to kill dogs or ponies even when it became clear that he wouldn't be able to place depots where he wanted. One Ton Depot (which Scott died 11 miles away from) was placed 30 miles north of where he wanted, because Scott refused to kill ponies for food.

Depot-laying (which was done with ponies) was also hindered because Lawrence Oates didn't trust the snowshoes designed for ponies, and left them behind at Camp Evans.

e:

unpacked robinhood posted:

And what's depot placement and how does it relate to sacrificed dogs ?

Depot placement was setting out beforehand to leave caches of supplies for the eventual push for the pole. These were placed before the Antarctic winter, so that Scott would be able to set out for the pole when winter ended.

Van Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 3, 2015

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Some sled dogs weaken faster than others and you don't want to feed them past some point. Instead, you sacrifice them and feed the meat to your men/the other dogs to keep them going longer. Scott brought ponies to Antarctica to haul and they kept sinking into the snow, which they tried to fix by making snowshoes for them. Didn't work too well.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Don't eat Balto :(

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Iirc ven when they were in crisis Scott refused to let them abandon their sleds of rocks. Basically he was an egotistical prick who shouldn't have been in charge of the lives of so many men and wasn't prepared for the expedition.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lucky fall, not to hit anything on the way down really, or wind up in that weird hole in the rock, or just smear your face down the rock or something. And water at the bottom.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

bartlebyshop posted:

Some sled dogs weaken faster than others and you don't want to feed them past some point. Instead, you sacrifice them and feed the meat to your men/the other dogs to keep them going longer. Scott brought ponies to Antarctica to haul and they kept sinking into the snow, which they tried to fix by making snowshoes for them. Didn't work too well.

Mostly because they didn't actually use them...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If you think ponies are weird there's the curious case of the Yukon camels to think about.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

If he's that close to a cliff edge shouldn't he already be roped up?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

a pipe smoking dog posted:

If he's that close to a cliff edge shouldn't he already be roped up?

standing near a cliff on level ground isn't really cause to tie in, but you also don't put your foot half-over the ledge and then lean out either

basically everyone else in that picture is an ok distance from the edge, & should have told slips mcgee to get back from the edge

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

OMGVBFLOL posted:

standing near a cliff on level ground isn't really cause to tie in, but you also don't put your foot half-over the ledge and then lean out either

basically everyone else in that picture is an ok distance from the edge, & should have told slips mcgee to get back from the edge

I'M NOT TOO CLOSE, DAD!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

DerekSmartymans posted:

I'M NOT TOO CLOSE, DAD!

gently caress YOU DAD I'M PLAYING EVEREST TOURIST WHENEVER I WANT TO

Topher87
Jun 28, 2008
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/04/nepal-earthquake-climbing-firms-call-off-everest-season-for-second-year-running
Dream dead again.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Van Kraken posted:

e:

Depot placement was setting out beforehand to leave caches of supplies for the eventual push for the pole. These were placed before the Antarctic winter, so that Scott would be able to set out for the pole when winter ended.

Speaking of caches and polar exploration, this is still the happiest I've ever seen a man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC8gJ0_9o4M

"This is day 86 on my full return South Pole Expedition 2011/2012. I`m quite hungry and about to pick up my last cache by my second pulk which I left on the way in. As a part of my motivational plan I have on purpose not made notes on what goodies I have left behind in the cache.. and on this last one, I didn`t expect very much"

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Speaking of doomed voyages by inexperienced people using untested technologies, here's the story of S. A. Andrée's arctic expedition: http://www.damninteresting.com/andree-and-the-aeronauts-voyage-to-the-top-of-the-world/

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

monster on a stick posted:

5.1 quake isn't that big of a deal. That's about 500 times smaller than the 7.8 quake.

For reference there were four earthquakes 5.0 or above today, same thing yesterday, Richter is log 10.

It is log 10 for shaking amplitude but that doesn't really tell the whole story- for all intents and purposes going from 5.1 to 7.8 is actually about 11000 times as bad going by energy released, which more directly correlates to how much poo poo goes down.

But as you were getting at, most likely these aftershocks won't do much to everest- too far away and too weak.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Richter scale measures the energy released by an earthquake at the epicenter. It is only an approximation of earthquake severity, in terms of "how much shaking, and how bad was the shaking" at any given point away from the epicenter. Its main utility is in comparison: you can broadly say, "this" quake is x times more severe than "that" quake. Even then, though, two earthquakes of the same Richter magnitude may have wildly different hypocentral depths; the much deeper quake might be less damaging than one near the surface.

For measuring how damaging an earthquake is at a specific point, there is another tool: the Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale.

quote:

Abbreviated Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale

I. Not felt except by a very few under especially favorable conditions.

II. Felt only by a few persons at rest, especially on upper floors of buildings.

III. Felt quite noticeably by persons indoors, especially on upper floors of buildings. Many people do not recognize it as an earthquake. Standing motor cars may rock slightly. Vibrations similar to the passing of a truck. Duration estimated.

IV. Felt indoors by many, outdoors by few during the day. At night, some awakened. Dishes, windows, doors disturbed; walls make cracking sound. Sensation like heavy truck striking building. Standing motor cars rocked noticeably.

V. Felt by nearly everyone; many awakened. Some dishes, windows broken. Unstable objects overturned. Pendulum clocks may stop.

VI. Felt by all, many frightened. Some heavy furniture moved; a few instances of fallen plaster. Damage slight.

VII. Damage negligible in buildings of good design and construction; slight to moderate in well-built ordinary structures; considerable damage in poorly built or badly designed structures; some chimneys broken.

VIII. Damage slight in specially designed structures; considerable damage in ordinary substantial buildings with partial collapse. Damage great in poorly built structures. Fall of chimneys, factory stacks, columns, monuments, walls. Heavy furniture overturned.

IX. Damage considerable in specially designed structures; well-designed frame structures thrown out of plumb. Damage great in substantial buildings, with partial collapse. Buildings shifted off foundations.

X. Some well-built wooden structures destroyed; most masonry and frame structures destroyed with foundations. Rails bent.

XI. Few, if any (masonry) structures remain standing. Bridges destroyed. Rails bent greatly.

XII. Damage total. Lines of sight and level are distorted. Objects thrown into the air.

Seismologists and geologists produce maps showing Mercalli intensities after major earthquakes:

Here you can see that while the severity of shaking generally falls off as a function of the distance from the epicenter, there are blobs and shapes and it's not a perfect circle. The fact that, as with most large earthquakes, it's actually a cluster of numerous related seismic events across a region, further complicates things. Mercalli maps can be directly compared to each other, which gives a highly visual and intuitive sense of the severity and damage from two different earthquakes.

Here, for example, is a Mercalli map of the 1989 Loma Prieta quake in California:

These two maps are not at the same scale, but you can still get a sense of how spread out and significant the red areas of the Nepal quake are, compared to the relatively focused point of high-intensity shaking in the SF Bay Area region. Most of the highly-populated areas of San Francisco Bay were subjected to no more than VII or VIII, whereas a huge, 200km long area at the south of Nepal's most populated region was subjected to VIII or IX level shaking.

Note as well that VII or VIII shaking is sufficient to destroy most unreinforced masonry structures. In California, such buildings are extremely rare; in Nepal, they're the majority. The City of SF was subjected to level VI or VII shaking at the most; that was enough to collapse an older double-decker freeway, and drop one segment of roadway on the upper deck of the bay bridge.

Kathmandu was subjected to VIII or IX shaking.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 4, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk3sLHZzZRI

E: Seriously though those earthquakes are crazy. Are they rebuilding nepal with real buildings, or are we gonna get another one of these down the road?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it's all about ground motion variability. a mag 5 could be as damaging as a mag 6 if there's just the right gm amplification or other near field effects. it's not likely, but it could happen--especially if the 5 is 1000x more likely to happen than a 6. this is what probabilistic seismic hazard assessment is about--weighing chance of occurring, variability and potential spectral accelerations, yea sure an 8 means gently caress thats a lot of energy but it just depends on the actual motions produced. generally subduction zones produce huge earthquakes but their motions are usually dampened quickly and don't have the right frequency content to wreck havoc on buildings that are susceptible (usually these buildings have periods of 0.1-0.4s) to damage--but there could be some freak attenuation like at mexico city which was 300km away

mmi is an ok qualitative quantifier for post-damage but theres a lot of bias in what gets reported, when it's asked, different cultures respond a bit differently to initial "feelings", etc.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

bartlebyshop posted:

They tried to make homemade snowshoes because they left the real ones behind. The homemade ones didn't work. The real ones - made by professionals and bought by the expedition - would have been fine, but they only brought one pair along on the depot journey to test them. They worked great, and so the men planned to get the other snowshoes out of the boxes back at Cape Evans when they returned, but they couldn't find them. They were either left on the ship or lost amid the stacks of other cargo in the hut.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Being careless with/about equipment is like the biggest loving warning sign that this razors-edge journey into the unknown in a harsh and unforgiving wilderness is doomed.

Like, I could understand if the equipment was destroyed in some unforseeable accident. But if your expedition team simply loses kit, it's time to pack it in and go home. You can't have that.

Just to bring it back full circle, remember when that first canadian-asian climber, Shah-Clorfine, had on her facebook page or whatever, a list of equipment she was getting, and it was completely generic? You could tell this person had no climbing or mountaineering experience just by the fact that she didn't have equipment preferences. If you don't know what brand and model of crampons you prefer, you're not ready to summit Everest.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 4, 2015

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gannyGrabber posted:

E: Seriously though those earthquakes are crazy. Are they rebuilding nepal with real buildings, or are we gonna get another one of these down the road?

depends, are you going to pay to import steel & experienced design & construction crews or are they going to be left to rebuild using only the materials and expertise they have at hand

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Another thing that gets me about the Scott Expedition is that, according to both Scott and Cherry, Birdie Bowers was a logistical genius. He organized all the crates, tracked all the food, calculated rations, managed work schedules, and generally took care of running the day-to-day operations of the expedition.

The problem with this? Bowers wasn't hired for the polar expedition. He was crew on the Terra Nova - a member of the ship party. He was so helpful there that Scott promoted him to the shore party. Which means that Scott hadn't actually hired anyone to manage all of that. I guess he planned to do it himself.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How far would the average goon make it on an Everest expedition before they died?

sponsor me and we could find out!

I'll climb Everest for GBS and Plant the Grenade Flag at the Summit for all of goondom, if you all pay my way.

bean mom fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 5, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Zyla posted:

sponsor me and we could find out!

I'll climb Everest for GBS and Plant the Grenade Flag at the Summit for all of goondom, if you all pay my way.

I got 5 on it.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Being careless with/about equipment is like the biggest loving warning sign that this razors-edge journey into the unknown in a harsh and unforgiving wilderness is doomed.

Like, I could understand if the equipment was destroyed in some unforseeable accident. But if your expedition team simply loses kit, it's time to pack it in and go home. You can't have that.

Just to bring it back full circle, remember when that first canadian-asian climber, Shah-Clorfine, had on her facebook page or whatever, a list of equipment she was getting, and it was completely generic? You could tell this person had no climbing or mountaineering experience just by the fact that she didn't have equipment preferences. If you don't know what brand and model of crampons you prefer, you're not ready to summit Everest.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120524043600/http://www.myeverestexpedition.com/sponsors.php

Cooking Gear: Insulated mug for warming hand - 1 of each
Tent - 1
spoon good quality - 1 set

Only thing she's really got a brand for was a GoPro helmet camera.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MorgaineDax posted:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120524043600/http://www.myeverestexpedition.com/sponsors.php

Cooking Gear: Insulated mug for warming hand - 1 of each
Tent - 1
spoon good quality - 1 set

Only thing she's really got a brand for was a GoPro helmet camera.

And she still summitted!

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

NLJP posted:

Speaking of caches and polar exploration, this is still the happiest I've ever seen a man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC8gJ0_9o4M

Judging by his reaction to those cheez doodlez, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that guy posts here.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Leperflesh posted:

The Richter scale measures the energy released by an earthquake at the epicenter. It is only an approximation of earthquake severity, in terms of "how much shaking, and how bad was the shaking" at any given point away from the epicenter. Its main utility is in comparison: you can broadly say, "this" quake is x times more severe than "that" quake. Even then, though, two earthquakes of the same Richter magnitude may have wildly different hypocentral depths; the much deeper quake might be less damaging than one near the surface.

For measuring how damaging an earthquake is at a specific point, there is another tool: the Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale.

Seismologists and geologists produce maps showing Mercalli intensities after major earthquakes:

Here you can see that while the severity of shaking generally falls off as a function of the distance from the epicenter, there are blobs and shapes and it's not a perfect circle. The fact that, as with most large earthquakes, it's actually a cluster of numerous related seismic events across a region, further complicates things. Mercalli maps can be directly compared to each other, which gives a highly visual and intuitive sense of the severity and damage from two different earthquakes.

Here, for example, is a Mercalli map of the 1989 Loma Prieta quake in California:

These two maps are not at the same scale, but you can still get a sense of how spread out and significant the red areas of the Nepal quake are, compared to the relatively focused point of high-intensity shaking in the SF Bay Area region. Most of the highly-populated areas of San Francisco Bay were subjected to no more than VII or VIII, whereas a huge, 200km long area at the south of Nepal's most populated region was subjected to VIII or IX level shaking.

Note as well that VII or VIII shaking is sufficient to destroy most unreinforced masonry structures. In California, such buildings are extremely rare; in Nepal, they're the majority. The City of SF was subjected to level VI or VII shaking at the most; that was enough to collapse an older double-decker freeway, and drop one segment of roadway on the upper deck of the bay bridge.

Kathmandu was subjected to VIII or IX shaking.

I really like this scale. It reminds me of the Fujita Scale for tornadoes, which is also based on damage. It's not perfect, but it's much more human scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just now reading 'South' by Ernest Shackleton, incredible story and for a change no one dies!

They went through some poo poo, from living on nothing but penguin and seal meat (The Gentoo penguin was favoured due to the meaty breasts and legs) to having to sail for 2 weeks on basic rations in an open boat in the Antarctic waters. Despite being written 100 years ago, the writing is remarkably fresh (although his constant listing of the latitudes gets a bit dull) and you really get a feel that they worked together well (apart from what happened in the next paragraph) as a team....Shackleton seemed to be a really sound leader.

They also had a ship's cat, the marvellously named Mrs.Chippy, who sadly had to be shot once the Endurance was crushed, but his (Mrs.Chippy was found to be a Tom long after the name stuck) spirit lives on, and was a cause of controversy on the expedition-

quote:

Mrs. Chippy, a tiger-striped tabby, was taken on board the Endurance by Harry McNish, the carpenter nicknamed "Chippy" (as in chips of wood, chips or chippy being a standard British nickname for a carpenter or for a man named Carpenter[1]), as a ship's cat. One month after the ship set sail for Antarctica it was discovered that, despite her name, Mrs. Chippy was actually a male, but by that time the name had stuck. He was described as "full of character" by members of the expedition and impressed the crew by his ability to walk along the ship's inch-wide rails in even the roughest seas. After the ship was destroyed, Shackleton decided that Mrs. Chippy and five of the dogs would not survive, and on 29 October 1915 recorded:

This afternoon Sallie’s three youngest pups, Sue’s Sirius, and Mrs. Chippy, the carpenter’s cat, have to be shot. We could not undertake the maintenance of weaklings under the new conditions. Macklin, Crean, and the carpenter seemed to feel the loss of their friends rather badly.[2]

McNish had become particularly attached to the cat, and never forgave Shackleton for having him shot. He clashed with Shackleton during the expedition and, despite eventually constructing the boats that would take the party to safety, and displaying considerable fortitude and bravery, McNish was denied the Polar Medal awarded to most of the rest of the crew, on the grounds of his earlier insubordination. In 2004 a life-size bronze statue of Mrs. Chippy was placed on the grave of McNish by the New Zealand Antarctic Society in recognition of his efforts on the expedition.[3] In February 2011 Mrs Chippy was featured on a postage stamp. The stamp was issued by South Georgia & the South Sandwich Islands.

Also rather sweet is the list of the dog's names (although they don't appear to list 'friend of the family' which was on the relief expedition boat)

quote:

The known dogs' names were Rugby, Upton Bristol, Millhill, Songster, Sandy, Mack, Mercury, Wolf, Amundsen, Hercules, Hackenschmidt, Samson, Sammy, Skipper, Caruso, Sub, Ulysses, Spotty, Bosun, Slobbers, Sadie, Sue, Sally, Jasper, Tim, Sweep, Martin, Splitlip, Luke, Saint, Satan, Chips, Stumps, Snapper, Painful, Bob, Snowball, Jerry, Judge, Sooty, Rufus, Sidelights, Simeon, Swanker, Chirgwin, Steamer, Peter, Fluffy, Steward, Slippery, Elliott, Roy, Noel, Shakespeare, Jamie, Bummer, Smuts, Lupoid, Spider, and Sailor

Read more about him on his Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Shackleton

Then read the book.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 5, 2015

• Locked thread