Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Maro posted:

The team did, by the way, try out infect as a theme. But it wasn't playing nicely with the other chosen themes and was dropped.

So... Inkmoth isn't in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

So... Inkmoth isn't in?

Well, if they've explicitly said infect is not in, it'd be weird to have infect cards in the set, right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So... Inkmoth isn't in?

My guess is that inkmoth is in but it's like the only infect card in the set.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

jassi007 posted:

Well, if they've explicitly said infect is not in, it'd be weird to have infect cards in the set, right?

Just like it's really weird to have UB mill cards in a set where UB mill isn't a theme.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rimusutera posted:

Well Affinity is definitely a thing again then, if Cranial Plating is anything to go by.

I remember Plating being like 4-5 bucks but it's only a buck now...

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

LordSaturn posted:

I need this list. Is it in the EDH thread?

Here's the podcast I did with The Command Zone about Shu Yun:
http://www.rocketjump.com/listen/commander-mtgo-shu-yun-silent-tempest

Here's the list then. I think it's mostly the same. Some tweaks here and there:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-reverend-enfuegos-shu-yun-deck/

No lands shown. You get to figure that out.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Anyway to see Cedric Phillip's Atarka Red list? The more Atarka Red I can compare to my own, the better.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dohaeris posted:

Anyway to see Cedric Phillip's Atarka Red list? The more Atarka Red I can compare to my own, the better.
On SCG's Decklists page.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Dohaeris posted:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=84332

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

En Fuego posted:

Wow, so because Shu Yun has white/red mana symbols in his rules text, that allows you to use white/red cards in the deck?

I'm not a serious EDH guy by any means but I consider myself knowledgeable, I did not know this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

My guess is that inkmoth is in but it's like the only infect card in the set.

Given that such a card would have no real purpose in limited, I tend to doubt it. Just because someone wants a reprint of a card doesn't mean they're gonna do it. I understand the sentiment, but I just tend to doubt that Wizards is be terribly excited to a print a card you'll want to rare-draft but not really play.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Gyshall posted:

Wow, so because Shu Yun has white/red mana symbols in his rules text, that allows you to use white/red cards in the deck?

I'm not a serious EDH guy by any means but I consider myself knowledgeable, I did not know this.

The concept of "color identity" is not part of the regular magic rules but is a key part of how EDH works: http://www.yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/#R9034

EDIT:

En Fuego posted:

Thanks for this.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Given that such a card would have no real purpose in limited, I tend to doubt it. Just because someone wants a reprint of a card doesn't mean they're gonna do it. I understand the sentiment, but I just tend to doubt that Wizards is be terribly excited to a print a card you'll want to rare-draft but not really play.

Not every rare serves a purpose in limited.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

Not every rare serves a purpose in limited.

Rally the Ancestors has a limited purpose, its just a dumb one.

I'd be surprised if Inkmoth was in this set, but not super-duper surprised or anything.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
descent has a v important purpose in limited in having cool art to make you feel better about drafting AVR

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

So... Inkmoth isn't in?
Inkmoth still works in a not-infect deck. It can be a finisher in a control deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

So the guy who wrote that awful article about the Pro Tour won the SCG Open yesterday?

Well the article starts to make more sense when you see the photo of him.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I am really quite pessimistic about MM2 having any significant effect on staple rare/mythic prices. I have no hard numbers to back this up but I don't think GP Vegas will come close to a typical set prerelease weekend in terms of new product opened, and the $10 MSRP means card prices will stay much higher before the EV is enough to crack packs for singles.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I just don't see it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
They could print inkmoth anyway, isn't that card played in affinity? Where it often gets equipped with cranial plating, a card we know is in the set. I'm just saying they could still print it even if infect isn't supported.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Plus a land that lets you chump a flyer and put a -1/-1 counter on it might not be too awful in limited.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's already 45 bucks for a NM one on TCG now. I bet the MM ones will be under 30.

Also I'm way late on this but are we to assume this is a :toxx:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Starving Autist posted:

They could print inkmoth anyway, isn't that card played in affinity? Where it often gets equipped with cranial plating, a card we know is in the set. I'm just saying they could still print it even if infect isn't supported.

Alternatively, this line of play is exactly what MaRo was alluding to by "doesn't play well with other things in the set".

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

Alternatively, this line of play is exactly what MaRo was alluding to by "doesn't play well with other things in the set".

The classic problem with infect which was prevalent in triple scars and other draft formats in that block was if you drafted G/B and had half infect creatures half non-infect creatures it was garbage but if you had like at least 75% infect creatures out of all your dudes you were pretty much a lock to go at least 2-1.

It makes for a bad limited environment because you're going for critical mass on a type of creature that is on average worse on board but unbeatable if you get enough of them against anyone else who may be trying to go in on that strategy signals be damned.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
One rare not having full synergy with the limited format does not exclude it from a reprint.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Gyshall posted:

The way EDH ties the colors of mana you can produce to the colors of the commander, he has to allow you to use white/red cards if you can produce white/red mana, which if you couldn't would make him an awful commander. So TL:DR yes, activated abilities count. Like Memnarch, he's an artifact with a blue mana symbol. So you have to be able to produce blue mana to use his ability, so he is in fact a Blue commander as far as EDH is concerned. You also can't put Memnarch in a Daretti or Slobad EDH artifacts deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
My casting cost is 2U but I identify as UWR or as some would say 'Jeskai'.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

jassi007 posted:

You are aware they're lower than that right now?

:thejoke:

I was saying it's price would decrease but I named a number higher than its current price. This discrepancy is in fact intentional and is meant to be a display of skepticism and pessimism on the topic that MM2 reprints would cause prices on chase rares to fall, as MM1 reprints caused the prices on chase rares to do the opposite of fall.

That's the joke.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

jassi007 posted:

The way EDH ties the colors of mana you can produce to the colors of the commander, he has to allow you to use white/red cards if you can produce white/red mana, which if you couldn't would make him an awful commander. So TL:DR yes, activated abilities count. Like Memnarch, he's an artifact with a blue mana symbol. So you have to be able to produce blue mana to use his ability, so he is in fact a Blue commander as far as EDH is concerned. You also can't put Memnarch in a Daretti or Slobad EDH artifacts deck.

This change was made a couple of years ago when Wizards started making commander products and EDH got re-branded into Commander. Prior to that Memnarch was not legal at all, because only the symbols in the casting cost mattered.

This was widely regarded as dumb by everyone but Sheldon Menery.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Well the article starts to make more sense when you see the photo of him.

I don't think you understand.

He has sex. With other people. Trust me I know I read his article.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

im the washed out screen print of the legends logo

also that disgusting shirt collar

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i've ... i've had sex *nervously loosens collar*

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think you understand.

He has sex. With other people. Trust me I know I read his article.

He looks like he has to roofie his own drink when he plans to jack off.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

:thejoke:

I was saying it's price would decrease but I named a number higher than its current price. This discrepancy is in fact intentional and is meant to be a display of skepticism and pessimism on the topic that MM2 reprints would cause prices on chase rares to fall, as MM1 reprints caused the prices on chase rares to do the opposite of fall.

That's the joke.

Oh a joke! Try harder next time, maybe you'll be funny.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
hey baby, i played on the pro tour, and it sucked, want to 'read' my 'article' :smuggo:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

Well Affinity is definitely a thing again then, if Cranial Plating is anything to go by.

The artifact strategy is in, its in the article as a U/W strategy. Seems like they're doing the same 2-color strategy idea as in the last MMA (which was well received so I expected that).

The B/G strategy is some kind of tokens/sac outlet strategy. If only there was a $40 Modern-legal card that made tokens every turn.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rimusutera posted:

I think its pretty obvious that the theme is Metalcraft; not Affinity.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

LordSaturn posted:

Possibly, but it doesn't strike me as particularly busted in limited, since the nexus is easy to kill, dies to any flying blocker, and also it's unlikely you'll have enough artifacts in the average scenario to one-shot them with Cranial Plating.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I think its pretty obvious that the theme is Metalcraft; not Affinity.

Yeah, Affinity is an aggressive strategy and they say straight up in the design article its not as aggressive, so I think Metalcraft is probably the way you'd put it.

"The white-blue artifacts strategy was a popular archetype from Modern Masters. And with one of the two new blocks added being Scars of Mirrodin, it made sense to revisit this strategy. As it turned out, white-blue ended up being the best place to put this deck again. Where last time this deck tended to be rather aggressive, this time the deck is more measured and plays well at various speeds. With metalcraft giving you a bonuses for controlling multiple artifacts, building a board with things like Equipment and other non-creature artifacts is a viable avenue now. And it wouldn't be the Modern Masters you all expect without a couple of constructed powerhouses to round out the Limited archetype."

Limited Robots :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, Affinity is an aggressive strategy and they say straight up in the design article its not as aggressive, so I think Metalcraft is probably the way you'd put it.

"The white-blue artifacts strategy was a popular archetype from Modern Masters. And with one of the two new blocks added being Scars of Mirrodin, it made sense to revisit this strategy. As it turned out, white-blue ended up being the best place to put this deck again. Where last time this deck tended to be rather aggressive, this time the deck is more measured and plays well at various speeds. With metalcraft giving you a bonuses for controlling multiple artifacts, building a board with things like Equipment and other non-creature artifacts is a viable avenue now. And it wouldn't be the Modern Masters you all expect without a couple of constructed powerhouses to round out the Limited archetype."

Limited Robots :v:

Yeah. Rusted Relic seems pretty goddamn powerful in a half-way decent Metalcraft deck. (I never played during the Scars block.)

• Locked thread