Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

What's that about? First time I hear about that.

I still think it's a shame that the Gensokyo.org stopped updating their replay stuff for games after TD. Kinda hard to find DDC replays when there's no real replay archive for it.

This is just hearsay so maybe it didn't really happen but here's what I heard:

quote:

Developer guy was getting kinda tired and pissed at the whole thing, and the straw that broke the camel's back was some dude releasing the PC-98 English patches behind his back. So, developer guy is gone and doing his own separate thing now. And there are no developers left on the team, so thcrap is not going to be moving anywhere now.

quote:

Yeah, the main dev didn't want them to be released just yet, but the guy he was working with didn't agree and well. Here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I'd say Cirno's revised title has more or less overtaken the old one, but that could be the exception. I still see "Shikieiki" now and then.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FractalSandwich posted:

If anything, it might be better if there are no more patches. As long as a translation only exists on a wiki, mistakes can be fixed. But once a patch is out there, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Your "bounded field"s and "Cherry Blossom of Sumizome"s will last forever.

Well, I think we have a major problem as long as the wiki doesn't host transcripts of the endings.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Well, I think we have a major problem as long as the wiki doesn't host transcripts of the endings.
That's a very good point. I agree, now that you mention it.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
To break away from translation chat for a moment, I'm probably gunna stream Genius of Sappheiros tomorrow around 11 AM Pacific (or maybe later I guess, if enough people complain at me). It's probably the only way I'm going to do a LP of GoS because gently caress screenshotting stuff , so if it at all interests you, come check it out or something.

e: someone pointed out to me that most people have jobs at sane times so I'll probably do it more around 3 PM actually.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 4, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm glad we've extrapolated "no official patch" to mean "no fan patch ever".

Someone'll do it

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Namtab posted:

I'm glad we've extrapolated "no official patch" to mean "no fan patch ever".

Someone'll do it

Not only this but it's not like there aren't other people who also work on the thcrap stuff. Their twitter still updates occasionally with little changes. It's not like there's been a major game anyways, unless everyone's saying this drama happened overnight (the last tweet was on the third).

Also I'm assuming it will still be trivially easy to spew out the game's innards with brightmoon or some such and you can at least get your online translation going that way.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Maximum Chenergy posted:

Also I'm assuming it will still be trivially easy to spew out the game's innards with brightmoon or some such and you can at least get your online translation going that way.

As long as ZUN makes his own engine, he'll be fine. It's when he teams up with Tasofro that getting to the innards is a Sisyphean task of code-wrecking, if it's possible at all.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Suika on ESPN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIq9f3kW1cA
3:20

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Im glad Obama's pro anime campaign is working

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

We finally made it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh great, we're going to be overwhelmed by secondaries.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

CommissarMega posted:

Oh great, we're going to be overwhelmed by secondaries.

I am pretty much secondary as gently caress.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

He's using it to make a joke about the PayPerView outages during Mayweather v Paquiao. Jesus Christ.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Its also a Simpsons reference

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Justus posted:

He's using it to make a joke about the PayPerView outages during Mayweather v Paquiao. Jesus Christ.

To be fair, probably some intern was google searching for a parody of the first Simpsons technical difficulties they used and found the Suika one to be be funny.

OH GOD THEY ARE UNTO US :byodood::byodood::byodood::byodood::byodood:

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 5, 2015

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

it really is one of the first results for a google image search of "simpsons technical difficulties"

the magic is dead

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am glad Suika was on TV. She is a good Touhou and deserves the attention.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
If anyone remembers the Dancing Phantasmagoria album released by Mapoze a while back, they're making a similar release for the upcoming Reitaisai: http://mapoze.com/pub/hihu-dance/

Ever wanted to hear bluegrass and salsa arrangements? You're in luck!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

leather fedora posted:

If anyone remembers the Dancing Phantasmagoria album released by Mapoze a while back, they're making a similar release for the upcoming Reitaisai: http://mapoze.com/pub/hihu-dance/

Ever wanted to hear bluegrass and salsa arrangements? You're in luck!

Those songs sound awesome.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it's me, i'm the scum (i'm not buying it without english because there is no point and also I already own it)

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
You can buy the Toohoos now.

http://playism-games.com/game/215/double-dealing-character
http://playism-games.com/game/214/takkoman

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

quote:

Unlike other Bullet Hell shooting games, Double Dealing Character contains an intricate plot. Explore the story, understand the characters and learn more about the game.

quote:

** This game release is a Japanese version only **
:rimshot:

Anyway yay. Time to get those DDC and Takoman skills back in shape.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ryza posted:

You can buy the Toohoos now.
I mean, you've been able to since August. I guess this is a little easier if you don't want to navigate a Japanese storefront, but that's all that's changed.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It took me a couple playthroughs but I just realized there's no documentation on any of the gameplay or mechanics. Wouldn't even a basic readme work?

EDIT: Oh boy some people can't run the game without Japanese locale.
I'm getting serious shades of "console to PC port"itis here.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 7, 2015

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

quote:

** This game release is a Japanese version only **
My disappointment is so thick it could be cut with a knife.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Mine's so thick you could angle-grind it into slabs and use it to pave a footpath.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Yeah, when Playism said they were bringing Touhou to the west, this isn't really what I expected. Still bought it, because it's nice to get it officially, but if I knew this was all it was I would have just got it on the JP store months ago.

The zip file you download extracts to a mojibake folder, if you don't rename it the game quits on launch. That is probably the app locale thing people are dealing with... orz

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Daedalus1134 posted:

Yeah, when Playism said they were bringing Touhou to the west, this isn't really what I expected. Still bought it, because it's nice to get it officially, but if I knew this was all it was I would have just got it on the JP store months ago.

The zip file you download extracts to a mojibake folder, if you don't rename it the game quits on launch. That is probably the app locale thing people are dealing with... orz

At least the Windows built-in .zip extension extracts the directory name correctly. Guessing that most zip archivers don't handle Unicode properly.

e: Also the resolution selection dialog is in English now.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Rectus posted:

At least the Windows built-in .zip extension extracts the directory name correctly. Guessing that most zip archivers don't handle Unicode properly.

e: Also the resolution selection dialog is in English now.

Ah, I was using 7zip, that would explain it.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

Look at that bio:

Right side of the playsim page posted:

His representative work "Touhou Project" started on 1995 and it's been 20 years. He said he wants to quit soon.

:rip:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

yo this is really depressing and I was super excited for an official translation, and was telling friends and stuff about it and now i look dumb

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
:confuoot:
Time to...buy the same thing again? Good work Playism for translating the config file I guess

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Zenephant posted:

Look at that bio:

:rip:

Owning the Watatsukis is the perfect stopping point really.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
thank you and good night folks, see you all in the idolm@ster fandom

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why doesn't Zun set up a Patreon page or something
Also doesn't Zun always say he's going to retire and stop drinking

amuayse fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 7, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

amuayse posted:

Why doesn't Zun set up a Patreon page or something
Also doesn't Zun always say he's going to retire and stop drinking

Wait, Zun wants to stop drinking? The thought is almost too much to bear.

If Zun does quit though, he better end it with a Phantasmagoria game with every character playable. :colbert:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

CuddlyZombie posted:

yo this is really depressing and I was super excited for an official translation, and was telling friends and stuff about it and now i look dumb
Maybe next time you (and all those other news articles) will read the official press release. :livintrope:

Also ZUN saying he wants to quit is a running joke. He'll say that every so often but everything he's said about Touhou seriously being his life's work outweighs it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So, should I hold out still for a Steam release? Or support this release ASAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

leather fedora posted:

Maybe next time you (and all those other news articles) will read the official press release. :livintrope:

I am still convinced we will get an English release.