Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Re: Re: Fw: Google captcha:

Most times I've found that a monitoring system has an "Internet" check to https://www.google.com which looks suspiciously like a bot hammering the site every 5 mins and since a search isn't being made google flags it and makes requests require a captcha. Change your checks to http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt (Which is what windows uses for the yellow exclamation mark in your network icon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

J posted:

Zip disks in 2015? :gonk:
Of all the things which are very wrong with that post, you picked zip disks.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

Of all the things which are very wrong with that post, you picked zip disks.

At least it wasn't 3.5" floppies.

:razz:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

SlayVus posted:

You mean 3D-printed save icons :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SlayVus posted:

Please don't remind me of my time in the healthcare sector.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Something weird going on with certain invoices in our system!

Dispatcher's note posted:

Are they really invoicing totals under a dollar? Might need to consider a new business model.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Pretty off-topic but since I saw the 3.5" floppy reference we used to cherry-pick entire applications from clients SyQuest 80 MB disks along with their work that we of course transformed into 24pg books etc.
But why, WHY do you keep your Adobe/Quark/Aldus apps on an external disk, even as a backup that you send to an external supplier?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Nintendo Kid posted:

They still work great. So long as you don't have the drives where Iomega saved a few cents by removing a part literally designed to prevent the click of death in the drive.

If you have one of the good drives, you can still get the click of death if your disk gets mechanically damaged or something, but the good drives won't spread that from disk to disk.

They still work great... at a peak of 7.5Mbps.

When you can get a 32GB Flash Drive that is 200x faster I can't see the use case for Zips. If it's shelf life tape should be the hammer for that nail.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Exit Strategy posted:

Ticket, with none of our encrypted ticket fields for things like IP address, passwords, etc filled out:

Today's shaping up to be bitchin'.

Tying with this, clients that get uppity and try to wave their dick around to scare people or intimidate them into fixing something. Case in point, this morning I overheard a call a coworker took about a client environment that had issues over the weekend. Not his client, but the 2 engineers that brought them on and are in charge of them aren't in right now - one is on site with another client, the other took the day off. Said client was pissed and ranting and swearing about how he couldn't get in touch with anyone when their systems went down Friday, they can't access some business-critical apps, and some of their shared network drives are missing. Actual partial quote was "this is BULLSHIT, I called dozens of times and left messages and NOBODY called back, we lost TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars because of this!!"

Turned out the jackoff didn't call either of the engineers, nor our on-call line when things went down - he called the account manager (who's about as tech savvy as 4 year old with a broken Speak 'N Spell), account manager called him back and relayed it to the engineer, and the engineer didn't jump on the issue to fix it. Those "dozens" of calls? Dude called 4 times in the span of 2 days, 3 calls to the account manager and 1 to the engineer. To top it off, dude hung up twice on the engineer trying to help out because he didn't like the answers he was given and we weren't "fixing the problem fast enough".

gently caress assholes like that, I hope his company burns to the ground and he contracts herpes and rear end cancer.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Today-

User: I need to run a conference, and this computer doesn't have EOD!

Me: Oh, well let's just install it real quick on this computer.

User: Ugh! This is so much easier on linux!!

Really, motherfucker? Linux is easier to get running on linux? No loving way, pal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would that be a client that can lose tens of thousands of dollars in a weekend outage but won't invest a few grand in their infrastructure?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

deimos posted:

They still work great... at a peak of 7.5Mbps.

When you can get a 32GB Flash Drive that is 200x faster I can't see the use case for Zips. If it's shelf life tape should be the hammer for that nail.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that everytime someone ask for them to be replaced it's "not in the budget". For the past 10 years.

:v:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ElGroucho posted:

User: Ugh! This is so much easier on

Wrong thread, but god drat is this poo poo that pisses me off. If you want to install Mint or Ubuntu or Mac OS on your box because installing whatever rinky-dink little third-party tool is easier with a built-in command-line make then good for you, you can spend the day and a half getting all the rest of the poo poo you need to do your job onto your box, and I sure as hell better never hear that you can't find the apt or brew package for Visual Studio. Have fun!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Customer whose network I'm redesigning still uses separate subnets plugged into physical interfaces on their firewall in TYOOL 2015. I had to convince them that VLANs were not only a good idea, but safer than using their perimeter firewall as an all-in-one router/switch/firewall/VPN head-end/IPS.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ozz81 posted:

Tying with this, clients that get uppity and try to wave their dick around to scare people or intimidate them into fixing something.

Dealing with one of these right now. Lawyer to, so he's throwing around threats of "suing for lost productivity" and whatnot.
We're not an MSP - I work for a company that provides a SaaS CRM product. We allow companies to dial out to contacts. We can dial through most PBX systems, landlines, and anything that supports SIP or CALLTO protocols.
Their phone software (not provided by us or made by us) is crashing. It was working one day, the next, they just start randomly poofing out mid-call (crashing with the "do you want to send a report" box.
But, its our fault. We need to fix it. Since, you know, we actually pick up the phone, unlike the phone software provider.
Rather than, you know, get your IT to see what changed to make all of them do it at once, gotta blame us.
I hate people.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sort of in that same vein, a customer called us today:

:) "Thank you for holding, this is Neo speaking, how can I help you?"
:argh: "Your terminal hasn't worked since day one. I need you to come out here now and replace it."
:) "Well, you opened your account with us over 2 months ago, but I don't see any notes about any previous issues. What seems to be the problem?"
:argh: "It keeps saying VXN Error. Why didn't you make sure this thing worked when you left it here?"
:) "Maam, I remember when I installed that terminal, and it was working perfectly fine when I left it there. What's the error number?"

*literally 2 minutes of begrudged troubleshooting later*

:) "Ok, well from what I can see, you either need to reboot your router, or you have a bad Ethernet cable. Since you can't(read: refuse to) reboot your router, I suggest contacting your IT team and having them troubleshoot those two things."
:argh: "I'll be giving you a call back when that doesn't work."

:10bux: says she doesn't call back.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

If I send a meeting cancellation notice, and someone declines the cancel, does that mean that they are still planning on coming to the meeting?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kensei posted:

If I send a meeting cancellation notice, and someone declines the cancel, does that mean that they are still planning on coming to the meeting?

That some zen-level poo poo, like one hand clapping.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Haha, hospital medical device security: https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2015-3459

quote:

Hospira Lifecare PCA infusion pump running "SW ver 412" does not require authentication for Telnet sessions, which allows remote attackers to gain root privileges via TCP port 23.

:allears:

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 4, 2015

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Sooo...can I use it to run a bitcoin miner?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Gilok posted:

Sooo...can I use it to run a bitcoin miner?

You could use it to kill someone then steal their bitcoins.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sefal posted:

"it's like i'm giving you this yellow car with air conditioning and ask you to check and fix what is broken and you return me a green car without air conditioning but with better chairs. That's not what I asked for. I'm trying to make you think in change. every thing you do has an effect and you need to be able to determine that. How big of an effect does this thing i'm doing have? Think before you decide to do something".

Everyone should be thinking this all day long.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

:10bux: says she doesn't call back.

I would say she will wait for a while, (maybe an hour, maybe a day or two)do nothing you suggested then call back your boss about how unhelpful you are.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MJP posted:

My resume's out there, and if Amazon comes a-knockin' (sup Agrikk) I would answer, but if another two weeks pass and hiring hasn't started I'm going to start asking for retroactives and/or ongoing differential.

'Sup. Email sent. Let's talk.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Agrikk posted:

'Sup. Email sent. Let's talk.

As an aside, Audible is in Newark, and an Amazon subsidiary. I'm not sure if they need another CJ, but it's a pretty easy commute by rail + company shuttle bus.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Also, if I hear "white label drives are cheaper" one more time I am going to scream.

gently caress those things, there should be a law where white label drives are banned. loving hell.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Varkk posted:

I would say she will wait for a while, (maybe an hour, maybe a day or two)do nothing you suggested then call back your boss about how unhelpful you are.

Well, she didn't call back by the end of the day. If she does call back, I'll likely be heading back out there, rebooting the router, going "welp, looks like it works! If it happens again, follow these steps to reboot your router again." and leaving, having performed fabulous customer service in the eyes of the company.

I can totally understand the line of thinking of "if X doesn't work, X must be at fault", and I can understand not being confident enough to perform guided troubleshooting on a piece of hardware that you have no clue what it does, but don't call me and act like we sabotaged your business on purpose and we're having a huge laugh behind your back. A simple "Hi, this terminal isn't working. It gives me this error. What do you think we should do?" works marvelously well in comparison and will have me bending over backwards to help you. But no, you gotta make it seem like I purposefully gently caress your stuff up to get my rocks off, and that makes me sad.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That's just tech support though. Customers are sharks, Sharks with Lasers that their mobo has ID10T errors.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's just tech support though. Customers are sharks, Sharks with Lasers that their mobo has ID10T errors.

I prefer PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. ID10T is too easy to parse if someone is sloppy and puts it some place management or a customer might catch wind. PEBKAC is easily written off as one of those nerd acronyms and if you're challenged you can just say, "you know, no one ever did tell me what it stood for, just that's what it's called when <technobabble and smoke and mirrors here>." Like EBCDIC. I'm sure at one point I knew what it stood for, but all I know is if I see that it's a 7-bit character encoding for IBM Mids and Mains.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 5, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
OSI layer 8.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sheep posted:

OSI layer 8.

Ooo, that's even more vague. I'll have to remember that one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sheep posted:

OSI layer 8.

I learned that one from the teacher that taught my CCNA class in high school. She was great.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sheep posted:

OSI layer 8.

Our internal knowledgebase is called Layer8. "When there's an issue, start with Layer8!"

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

less than three posted:

Our internal knowledgebase is called Layer8. "When there's an issue, start with Layer8!"

This is brilliant, I may have to steal that :sun:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sheep posted:

OSI layer 8.

This is a personal favorite.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sheep posted:

OSI layer 8.

Google specially defines this as referring to the user. It is the first thing that shows up when you Google this.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

You're a big dumb idiot if you ever put any of those in writing at work.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Users googling error messages and users needing to be described by "OSI layer 8" are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Netflix open sourced their security platform called FIDO on github. We were in talks with them to buy it, but they clammed up and we basically built this entire system ourselves with hopes and dreams, and more than a little alcohol.

If anybody has some of the security tools listed on here and wants to become a top tier SOC, load it up on a box and give it a try. With a little wiggling, it should become your automatic IT Security Group with very little input needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

"...plays a important..."

• Locked thread