Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
In pursuing the war on women with fury and vigor the republican party is engaging in the truest possible expression of the virtues of caesar augustus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

When was the last time do you think that "We the people" was used by not a tea bagging libertarian gently caress

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

it completely depends on what';s going on with that language.

The Romance languages all split off at different periods and developed different as Vulgar Latin. So like, some are more mutually intelligible than others. And like look at the languages d'oil.

no i mean in like pre historical cultures where like 100 people in a tribe was a lot.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Harder to pour molten dollars on your foes though.

Not true.

See also, F-35

Furthermore, what do you call napalm? Its molten dollars, to me.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

UberJew posted:

In pursuing the war on women with fury and vigor the republican party is engaging in the truest possible expression of the virtues of caesar augustus

and they have all the wit and guile of caligula

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

We are Khan's to the world's Popery. We are the antichrist; we are the great satan. Do not force us to pay attention to you. You wouldn't like it if we paid attention to you. Our horses need their grazing lands, you see, and your existance is inconvenient for our American mustangs.

lol it didnt take the mongols 9 years to declare victory in iraq

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

hahahaha

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

so the lesson is america should have built literal skull thrones

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not true.

See also, F-35

Furthermore, what do you call napalm? Its molten dollars, to me.

It'd just be ashes though. It'd just be an inconvenience.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

If we'd gone in with a Mongol mindset, we'd have won Iraq within 2 years.

Disinterested posted:

We've done that. What do you think we were doing in Liberia throughout the 90's?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I guess turning Iraq in to an ossuary is one way to win hearts and minds

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Disinterested posted:

Note that we executed Saddam without letting his blood touch the ground in true Mongol style.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

euphronius posted:

no i mean in like pre historical cultures where like 100 people in a tribe was a lot.

mostly living memory.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Sharkie posted:

Note that we executed Saddam without letting his blood touch the ground in true Mongol style.

we didn't technically execute him. we let the iraqis do that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
george w bush wearing a fur hat and trying to snarl "i am the scourge of god" but breakin up giggling

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

euphronius posted:

it's probably kind of hard to say. language development doesn't really obey strict laws

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
obama khan: now, let me be clear - were your sins not great, god would not have sent me upon you

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Disinterested posted:

I guess turning Iraq in to an ossuary is one way to win hearts and minds

say it with me

Greater.

Kurdistani.

Freedom.

Alliance.

A homeland for Kurds, Yazidis, Jews, and Zoroastrians, without fear of the continuing sins of Magog's lineage.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

euphronius posted:

How fast does language change in separate communities. Would they become unintelligible in like 50 years?

there's all sorts of weird eastern mountain and atlantic island accents in the us that sound weird as gently caress and developed in near complete day to day isolation for hundreds of years, but you can still understand them

they usually sound like older versions of various british accents that still exist

euphronius posted:

well like the various major language families of the world appeared to stay reasonably close together in sounds by the time they got around to writing poo poo down so idk.

it kinda seems like things change faster when you combine isolation with a large population that can still be pretty self sufficent

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

we didn't technically execute him. we let the iraqis do that.

so iraq are the mongols? this analogy just keeps making less and less sense

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Disinterested posted:

it's probably kind of hard to say. language development doesn't really obey strict laws

particularly when people were more nomadic

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

euphronius posted:

you'd probably, in lieu of major trade routes or something, have a situation where each tribal group is mutually comprehensible with its neighbors and the next ones over but not to anyone outside of that zone

but probably over a couple hundred years or more

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

obama khan: now, let me be clear - were your sins not great, god would not have sent me upon you

Is there a more savage papal owning

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shaka Obama Khan: "I am your god now."

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

so next time we invade iraq:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

yall papal vestment look like a dishrag

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lotka Volterra posted:

No Saddam was the Mongols. The Iraqis are the Zorrohistoriams.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lotka Volterra posted:

i have no idea where mgif is going with this. none of the two bits shmucks we' ve knocked off since dubya dubya two are even worth comparing to real enemies of rome

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
you wanna see how rapidly language changes, look at folk music pre-tv and folk music post-tv

regional accents standardized in a very short time

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

zoux posted:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

with modern recordings technology and airplanes and world media, will say for example English ever change enough again in the Future to be incompressible to us today.

Obviously in your opinion there is no right answer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

is this the dead pope trial or waht

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

you wanna see how rapidly language changes, look at folk music pre-tv and folk music post-tv

regional accents standardized in a very short time

accents aren't really the same thing

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

looking forward to genetic science inevitably revealing to the British that they are in fact genetically the same to all the various europeans they have spent their history despising

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i have no idea where mgif is going with this. none of the two bits shmucks we' ve knocked off since dubya dubya two are even worth comparing to real enemies of rome

Persia is a threat to global stability and must cease to exist as a political entity.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

zoux posted:

is this the dead pope trial or waht

it's the holy roman emperor begging for forgiveness in a hairshirt at canossa because he's been excommunicated and the entire empire is on fire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_to_Canossa

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what about that time they dug up a dead pope and had pope corpse puppeteers confess a bunch of horrible stuff

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

zoux posted:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Disinterested posted:

it's the holy roman emperor begging for forgiveness in a hairshirt at canossa because he's been excommunicated and the entire empire is on fire

didnt he p much immediately turn around after getting forgiven and start loving with the pope again though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

to quote another poster's av "OBJECTION!"

• Locked thread