Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Because when someone says "gridless" I assume TOTM.

Running mass combat with 10+ combatants can happen a lot in 4e and that would get messy in TOTM. If you're talking still using miniatures on a tabletop and measuring out movement and stuff then that can sort of work I guess. I'm not sure how Blasts would work since those aren't really supposed to be cones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

Running mass combat with 10+ combatants can happen a lot in 4e and that would get messy in TOTM. If you're talking still using miniatures on a tabletop and measuring out movement and stuff then that can sort of work I guess. I'm not sure how Blasts would work since those aren't really supposed to be cones.

Everything you say about TOTM getting messy applies equally to prior editions. That's my point. How do you judge where the 3.X Wizard's spell lands in TOTM? How do you handle a big epic battle with a kraken and its tentacles on a shifting ice flow?

If you have an answer to these that applies to 3.X or Next then why doesn't it apply equally to 4E? What's the mystery factor preventing you from running 4E gridless?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kurieg posted:

As an aside, this is a bad assumption, off the top of my head, FATE, 13th age, and Old School Hack (oh, and original Traveller) all use zone based combat systems.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Everything you say about TOTM getting messy applies equally to prior editions. That's my point. How do you judge where the 3.X Wizard's spell lands in TOTM? How do you handle a big epic battle with a kraken and its tentacles on a shifting ice flow?

If you have an answer to these that applies to 3.X or Next then why doesn't it apply equally to 4E? What's the mystery factor preventing you from running 4E gridless?

I've run 3.5 TOTM once, when we only had two players and the caster used almost nothing but single target spells.

As far as gridless? I don't know, I've never been in a situation to play 4e or even 3.5 where a grid wasn't readily available. Both of my RL gaming groups had one. I imagine you could do it but like I said, bursts and blasts would need to be reconfigured a bit, since they're squares and not circles.

Like I said, my argument was mostly against a TOTM thing, Gridless wouldn't be ideal but it would be possible.

DalaranJ posted:

As an aside, this is a bad assumption, off the top of my head, FATE, 13th age, and Old School Hack (oh, and original Traveller) all use zone based combat systems.

But those were designed with TOTM in mind and they handle it quite well as a result.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
From my observations, anyone who clamors for D&D to be able to be run gridless/TotM doesn't care if it actually works, they just want to be told that it works so that they can nod approvingly, check it off the Real D&D Checklist, and resume running it gridded anyway.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kurieg posted:

But those were designed with TOTM in mind and they handle it quite well as a result.

What? My point was that zone-based is explicitly not theatre of the mind.

VV Yes, That's why it was an aside.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 3, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes but we're not talking about them, we're talking about DnD. If someone's talking about running "Gridless 4e" it's a fairly safe assumption that they aren't talking about FATE's zone system.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

DalaranJ posted:

What? My point was that zone-based is explicitly not theatre of the mind.

Sorry, what? I don't understand this point at all, but maybe I'm just dense today. Why does the use of zones preclude TOTM? Doesn't the use of zones make positioning easier to track in your head?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

Consider the Bone Zone example. When confronted with the Bone Zone many 5e apologists claim that a good DM would never let a Wizard 'get away' with that despite it being a pretty simple interpretation of the rules.

A good DM is one who will look a player in the eye and say "Dammit, [PLAYER], you'll never get away with this."

A good player is one who will laugh and say "Oh, but I already have."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

CaptCommy posted:

Sorry, what? I don't understand this point at all, but maybe I'm just dense today. Why does the use of zones preclude TOTM? Doesn't the use of zones make positioning easier to track in your head?

Let me reword this then.

Kerieg said "To me, gridless means TOTM". However, TOTM means without miniatures.

I responded by pointing out a set of games where the rules set suggests play with miniatures but without a grid.

I did not mean to convey that if you are playing a game with zone based combat it cannot be converted to TOTM. It is, of course, much easier to do so then with a rules set that suggests grided play, and one of the reasons is the one you stated.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thespaceinvader posted:

The fundamental issues are, then, IMO:
Rules that assume a grid, but not properly, and wind up falling squarely between two stools.
To give my go-to example of this one, the reduced speed of a dwarf or an armoured character is represented by them having a five foot penalty to base speed. This makes perfect sense if you're using a map (that looks about 25 feet to me in this scale) or a gridded map (I can move 5 squares), but in TotM? If the GM is expected to actually be keeping track of distance to that level of granularity for all characters in a multi-target environment in their head that's really, really bad game design. If they're not, why is the major negative downside to a piece of equipment supposed to be ignored in the encounter type where you're actually using it? If it's arbitrary as to when you are and are not supposed to enforce this 5 foot per action penalty, where is the GM guidance on this?

On the other hand, FATE and SW:EotE are actually designed to be easy to ToTM combat. In FATE a slow character would be represented as such using the existing aspect/FATE point mechanics, which have extensive mechanical support and GM advice. In SW:EotE slow characters are designated as such by limiting how many movement maneuvers they can take per combat, which is extremely easy to adjudicate given how the rest of the combat system works, and will have a major impact on battle strategies.

If the designers of 5E had actually been serious about TotM combat they'd have actually put some thought into how movement speeds and TotM interact, then either replaced the existing positioning system or (somehow) worked it over to actually serve TotM combat instead of just copy-pasting the system from every other edition and calling it a day.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 4, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

I've run 3.5 TOTM once, when we only had two players and the caster used almost nothing but single target spells.

So 3.X works in "theater of the mind" so long as you strenuously avoid engaging with the combat system in any but the most basic sense, got it.

Look I'll just drop the rhetorical question angle...there is no functional difference between running 3.X gridless/TOTM/whatever we're calling it and doing the same with 4E. It's all meant to be played on a grid, it's full of stuff divided into 5-foot increment measurements, it's full of area-effect stuff and things that are more or less envisioned from a gridded perspective first and yet for some reason people are insistent that none of this matters to 3.X or Next but as soon as 4E comes around it's like a gun is suddenly held to their heads and it's just not possible to run it without miniatures and any attempts to the contrary are doomed to failure. Like this:

quote:

As far as gridless? I don't know, I've never been in a situation to play 4e or even 3.5 where a grid wasn't readily available. Both of my RL gaming groups had one. I imagine you could do it but like I said, bursts and blasts would need to be reconfigured a bit, since they're squares and not circles.

Squares versus circles? Who cares? How does the abstract shape of an imaginary fireball matter if you're just handwaving things. Did Bob's fireball hit those goblins and not your teammates? Ask your GM. Now quick, which edition did I pull that example of gridless adjudication from? Answer: all of them, if you're playing D&D "theater of the mind" style. 4E is no less feasible to run this way, and anyone who claims otherwise is flat-out wrong.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

To elaborate on the 'good DM hypothesis a bit after some dinner:

There's this notion that a good DM can compensate for a bad system. You know, it doesn't matter if the Wizard is better than the Fighter or if one character has objectively The Best stats or if one character busts the game wide open with an item you accidentally rolled on an random item chart - a good DM can reign in those players and make sure the other players get screen time and relevancy. Assuming anybody is capable of doing that, imagine how much better that guy would be if he wasn't doing all that poo poo.

A master archer can compensate for wind and noise and distraction and all kinds of other poo poo but I'm going to guess that it's much easier to hit a moving target under optimal conditions than it is under sub-optimal ones. Also any system that requires you to fight against the enjoyment of your players when all they're really doing is playing the game is pretty stupid. I don't really know how that makes you a 'good' DM.

EDIT:

Kai Tave posted:

So 3.X works in "theater of the mind" so long as you strenuously avoid engaging with the combat system in any but the most basic sense, got it.

Look I'll just drop the rhetorical question angle...there is no functional difference between running 3.X gridless/TOTM/whatever we're calling it and doing the same with 4E. It's all meant to be played on a grid, it's full of stuff divided into 5-foot increment measurements, it's full of area-effect stuff and things that are more or less envisioned from a gridded perspective first and yet for some reason people are insistent that none of this matters to 3.X or Next but as soon as 4E comes around it's like a gun is suddenly held to their heads and it's just not possible to run it without miniatures and any attempts to the contrary are doomed to failure. Like this:

Squares versus circles? Who cares? How does the abstract shape of an imaginary fireball matter if you're just handwaving things. Did Bob's fireball hit those goblins and not your teammates? Ask your GM. Now quick, which edition did I pull that example of gridless adjudication from? Answer: all of them, if you're playing D&D "theater of the mind" style. 4E is no less feasible to run this way, and anyone who claims otherwise is flat-out wrong.

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that 4e decided to describe its distances in terms of squares. Which if you think about is eminently more useable than feet but the fact remains that 3.X described everything in discrete distances. I don't know why people are enamored of this - they must know that 5 feet = 1 square in their head somewhere and question why literally everything in the universe translates into precise 5 foot increments but here we are.

I think the big thing though is that 4e is a joy to play at the table and for the most part when you remove the grid it's no longer fun. 3.x is a game that is not really enhanced by a grid, it's just made legible.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 4, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If we're talking about Theater of the Mind in terms of "the grid is still there, you just don't represent it visually and track everything in your head like security guards playing chess over a walkie talkie", then yes, it's technically possible to play 3.5e, 4e, and 5e like that, but I don't know how much time you'd really be saving doing it like that because even single square distances need to be tracked.

If we're talking about Theater of the Mind as far as ditching the whole grid entirely, 5e's rules-as-written does not support that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mendrian posted:

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that 4e decided to describe its distances in terms of squares. Which if you think about is eminently more useable than feet but the fact remains that 3.X described everything in discrete distances. I don't know why people are enamored of this - they must know that 5 feet = 1 square in their head somewhere and question why literally everything in the universe translates into precise 5 foot increments but here we are.

I think the big thing though is that 4e is a joy to play at the table and for the most part when you remove the grid it's no longer fun. 3.x is a game that is not really enhanced by a grid, it's just made legible.

The thing is that I'm certain that somewhere in the annals of 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons there must be some class feature, spell, or special ability that knocks a target backwards some distance. So what happens whenever a player in one of these many 3.X freeform games I hear so much about uses one of those? Does the game just lock up and become unplayable? Does everyone run screaming into the night clawing at their flesh? Does the GM just slowly fold his screen up and sit there in stony silence, giving you a look of stern disapproval?

It's not that I disagree that 4E is enjoyable to play on a grid with figures, but if you absolutely must play D&D without bringing a map into the equation I fail to see how it presents any real obstacle to that which previous editions didn't. If the distance an orc gets knocked back or the area a fireball covers are important enough to you to merit more than a cursory handwave before getting back to business then why are you playing either edition without a map?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kai Tave posted:

The thing is that I'm certain that somewhere in the annals of 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons there must be some class feature, spell, or special ability that knocks a target backwards some distance.
Hydraulic push and energy push are probably are ones I can think of.
EDIT:
Bull rush.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

The thing is that I'm certain that somewhere in the annals of 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons there must be some class feature, spell, or special ability that knocks a target backwards some distance.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm

quote:

Awesome Blow [General, Fighter]
Prerequisites
Str 25, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, size Large or larger.

Benefit
As a standard action, the creature may choose to subtract 4 from its melee attack roll and deliver an awesome blow. If the creature hits a corporeal opponent smaller than itself with an awesome blow, its opponent must succeed on a Reflex save (DC = damage dealt) or be knocked flying 10 feet in a direction of the attacking creature’s choice and fall prone. The attacking creature can only push the opponent in a straight line, and the opponent can’t move closer to the attacking creature than the square it started in. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

Complete Warrior, page 135

quote:

Knockback: Knockback weapons often emit a low, almost inaudible hum when drawn. Whenever a knockback weapon hits its target, it initiates a bull rush attack in addition to dealing normal damage. To resolve the bull rush attempt, treat the projectile as a Medium creature with a +8 Strength bonus. The projectile doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity, and it always tries to push the target as far back as possible. Only ranged weapons can have the knockback ability, and they bestow it on their ammunition.

Races of Stone, page 142

quote:

KNOCKBACK [GENERAL]
By putting your bulk behind a blow, you can push your enemy backward.

Prerequisites: Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, size Large or larger (goliaths qualify by virtue of their powerful build racial trait).

Benefit: If you score a hit while you are using the Power Attack feat, you can make a free bull rush attempt against the foe you hit, applying the number by which you reduced your attack roll as a bonus on the opposed Strength check (as well as on the damage you deal). If you hit with a two-handed weapon, you can apply double that number on the opposed Strength check. Unlike standard bull rush
attempts, knockback attempts don’t provoke attacks of opportunity, and you don’t move with the enemy you knock backward. Bull rush rules can be found on page 154 of the Player’s Handbook.
Special: A fighter may select Knockback as one of his fighter bonus feats (see page 38 of the Player’s Handbook).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Woah poo poo, you can knock somebody back ten whole feet if you have, like, 25 Strength and happen to be size Large. Ten feet! Is there an adjective beyond "epic?" That 1d6 damage might be a bit too much though.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
What did you expect it to do, knock them into another dimension and vaporize them? It's not magic, you idiot.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent
It would be pretty cool if instead of theatre of the mind, there was something along the lines of the combat in darkest dungeon. That's a lot easier to keep track of than positional maps. And the rules could be modified to support it without much trouble, at all.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

friendlyfire posted:

It would be pretty cool if instead of theatre of the mind, there was something along the lines of the combat in darkest dungeon. That's a lot easier to keep track of than positional maps. And the rules could be modified to support it without much trouble, at all.

Yeah definitely. In fact I just go and play systems that work like that anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

friendlyfire posted:

How does it work there? I keep meaning to get Darkest Dungeon but other sales keep getting in the way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It has always seemed kind of weird to me that RPGs tend to fall into two categories, either games that assume gridded tactical play (even if they pretend otherwise, but when you measure everything in 5' increments you aren't fooling anyone) and pure "theater of the mind" games where combat is hazy and nebulous. Games that use abstract but nonetheless defined positional combat are fairly uncommon and a huge untapped design space.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

gradenko_2000 posted:

How does it work there? I keep meaning to get Darkest Dungeon but other sales keep getting in the way.

Position is party order. Melee attacks can only be used by the front two people, most ranged attacks and support abilities cannot be used from the front (and you wouldn't want to). If you knock a monster back or pull it forward, it is relative to the other monsters. You can completely neutralize a melee monster by knocking it to the back. And there are abilities that pull the vulnerable ranged casters to the front so you can wail on them. It's a great game, I recommend it.

kingcom posted:

Yeah definitely. In fact I just go and play systems that work like that anyway.

Really? Like what?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it derives from the gridded games taking cues from D&D and/or other boardgames and wargames, while the non-gridded games have far less of a combat focus (and maybe a dash of "anyone who's had better ideas is in other industries"). The genre is still learning from Fate.

friendlyfire posted:

Position is party order. Melee attacks can only be used by the front two people, most ranged attacks and support abilities cannot be used from the front (and you wouldn't want to). If you knock a monster back or pull it forward, it is relative to the other monsters. You can completely neutralize a melee monster by knocking it to the back. And there are abilities that pull the vulnerable ranged casters to the front so you can wail on them. It's a great game, I recommend it.

That's rather brilliant! Reminds me of JRPGs and the Disciples series.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 4, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Theatre of the mind was OK for play in the earliest editions when played in the groggiest way possible. Form up your team three by three and dungeon crawl a couple of old school maps with ten feet wide corridors where encounters are rarely more distantly met than a torch light's view away. For a good visual example, play Wizardry or Might and Magic. Not particularly engaging, but functional. Here are some rules for Dungeon adventuring from the Original game:

"THE MOVE/TURN IN THE UNDERWORLD:
In the underworld all distances are in feet, so wherever distances are given in
inches convert them to tens of feet.
Movement (distances given in Vol. 1) is in segments of approximately ten min-
utes. Thus it takes ten minutes to move about two moves — 120 feet for a fully-
armored character. Two moves constitute a turn, except in flight/pursuit situa-
tions where the moves/turn will be doubled (and no mapping allowed).
Time must be taken to rest, so one turn every hour must be spent motionless, and
double the rest period must be taken after a flight/pursuit takes place.
Time spent searching for anything (secret passages, hidden treasure, etc.), load-
ing treasure, listening, ESP'ing, hiding, will be adjudged by the referee as to what
portion of a turn will be used by the activity. Typically, ESP'ing will take but a
quarter turn, while searching a ten foot section of wall for secret passages will re-
quire a full turn.
Melee is fast and furious. There are ten rounds of combat per turn.

Secret passages will be located on the roll of a 1 or a 2 (on a six-sided die) by men,
dwarves or hobbits. Elves will be able to locate them on a roll of 1-4. At the re-
feree's option, Elves may be allowed the chance to sense any secret door they
pass, a 1 or a 2 indicating that they become aware that something is there.
Generally, doors will not open by turning the handle or by a push. Doors must be
forced open by strength, a roll or a 1 or 2 indicating the door opens, although
smaller and lighter characters may be required to roll a 1 to open doors. There
can be up to three characters attempting to force open a door, but this will dis-
allow them rapid reaction to anything awaiting them on the other side. Most
doors will automatically close, despite the difficulty in opening them. Doors will
automatically open for monsters, unless they are held shut against them by charac-
ters. Doors can be wedged open by means of spikes, but there is a one-third
chance (die 5-6) that the spike will slip and the door will shut.
Traps are usually sprung by a roll or a 1 or a 2 when any character passes over or
by them. Pits will open in the same manner.
When characters come to a door they may "listen" to detect any sound within.
Note "Undead" never made any sound. A roll of 1 for humans, and 1 or 2 for
Elves, Dwarves, or Hobbits will detect sound within if there is any to be heard.
A good referee will have noise corridors (moaning, clanking, etc.) and rooms
from whence come shuffling or muttering sounds.
In the underworld some light source or an infravision spell must be used. Torches,
lanterns and magic swords will illuminate the way, but they also allow monsters
to "see" the users so that monsters will never be surprised unless coming through
a door. Also, torches can be blown out by a strong gust of wind. Monsters are as-
sumed to have permanent infravision as long as they are not serving some character.
While some referees allow Fire Balls and Lightning Bolts to be hurled in confined
spaces, blasting sections of the stone equal to the remainder of their normal shape,
it is suggested that the confined space cause these missiles to rebound toward the
sender, i.e. a Lightning bolt thrown down a corridor 40 feet long will rebound so
as to reach its stated length of 6" (60 feet underground), and this will mean the
sender is struck by his own missile. It may also be compromised, allowing say
two feet of stone wall to be destroyed (allowing one foot of stone destroyed for
every ten feet the space is short of full distance) and rebounding the missile one-
half the distance short."(OD&D, Gygax and Arneson)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

friendlyfire posted:

Really? Like what?

A lot of games from 13th Age to Star Wars: Edge of the Empire dont have distances and instead just have engagement ranges. You are either at Long, Medium, Close. To make sure both an all melee party and all ranged party are not prevented from playing, they stop the restriction on attacks positions but otherwise people will move and attack each other in a line from Closest to Longest since its easier to hit stuff closer.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Kai Tave posted:

It has always seemed kind of weird to me that RPGs tend to fall into two categories, either games that assume gridded tactical play (even if they pretend otherwise, but when you measure everything in 5' increments you aren't fooling anyone) and pure "theater of the mind" games where combat is hazy and nebulous. Games that use abstract but nonetheless defined positional combat are fairly uncommon and a huge untapped design space.

I did something like this in the heartbreaker I was working on, but designing games is hard and playing them is more fun (even if it is just 5e)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I'm seeing a lot more games that do this recently though. The only one I can think of from before 4th edition came out is Traveler. Whether that's just that my view of the variety of RPGs has expanded recently or not, I can't say though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean, there are games that do it to be sure, it just seems like it's the "weird indie RPG" option whereas plenty of "bigger name" RPGs just give you a bunch of weapon stats and rules and expect you to just keep track of everything in your head I guess.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My retroclone (TAAC) took the approach of "you're either in melee, or you're not"; anyone in melee could attack anyone else in it, and if you weren't in melee you could be forced into it, whereupon trying to withdraw could draw OAs. (I always pictured it as one of those whirling cartoon dustclouds with fists and feet popping out, rolling around the battlefield like a katamari to sweep people up.) That's about as much tactical combat as I can be bothered to endure without a computer to crunch all the numbers.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Payndz posted:

My retroclone (TAAC) took the approach of "you're either in melee, or you're not"; anyone in melee could attack anyone else in it, and if you weren't in melee you could be forced into it, whereupon trying to withdraw could draw OAs. (I always pictured it as one of those whirling cartoon dustclouds with fists and feet popping out, rolling around the battlefield like a katamari to sweep people up.) That's about as much tactical combat as I can be bothered to endure without a computer to crunch all the numbers.

This is great, and as a bit of conjecture I'd take it as far as "If you hit one person in the melee with an AoE, you hit all the people in the melee."

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, there are games that do it to be sure, it just seems like it's the "weird indie RPG" option whereas plenty of "bigger name" RPGs just give you a bunch of weapon stats and rules and expect you to just keep track of everything in your head I guess.

Doesn't WFRP 3e do this? There's basically a straight line of

Really far ---- Far ---- Near ---- In Melee --- Near --- Far ---- Really far

and you can be in any of those zones.

Double Cross does a different abstracted, yet strict, zone system where two or more people in a melee fight are considered to be in an Engagement. It takes an entire turn to Disengage out of an Engagement, and there are abilities which can lock down an Engagement to prevent any movement in or out. Ranged weapons can fire in, or fire out from Engagement to Engagement unless abilities say otherwise. AoEs are usually either the entirety of an Engagement or the entire Scene. People who are Stealthed are free to enter or leave Engagements unless abilities say otherwise. Anyone outside an Engagement is in a sort of nebulous "nearby" space, although there are some rules for determining just how far away from each other those people are if it's really important, like a chase or something.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
New Unearthed Arcana.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-waterborne-adventures

The Mariner Fighting Style is actually pretty great. So great almost everyone should take it unless they are heavily armored.

Swashbuckler is a Rogue thing. They can draw aggro. As an action. At 9th.

Oh and minotaurs get a free 1d10 weapon.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

dwarf74 posted:

New Unearthed Arcana.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-waterborne-adventures

The Mariner Fighting Style is actually pretty great. So great almost everyone should take it unless they are heavily armored.

Swashbuckler is a Rogue thing. They can draw aggro. As an action. At 9th.

Oh and minotaurs get a free 1d10 weapon.

A free 1d10 weapon that can be used at the end of the Dash action i.e. a Charge Attack, even. Then again, looking at it, with the way its score increase works, I'd just assume make a variant human with the charge feat and a maul or something.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That rogue archetype is pretty bad. A little buff to initiative and sneak attack, 1/3 of the mobile feat, a single target aggro without having any defensive boosts (though the non-hostile usage looks nice), an in-combat skill boost, and a once-per rest reroll with advantage at level 17.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So who wants to be the first to fake grogpost in enworld about how Panache is a video game taunt and is an example of disassociated mechanics.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

So who wants to be the first to fake grogpost in enworld about how Panache is a video game taunt and is an example of disassociated mechanics.
Well, it is more videogame than 4e marking is. :D (And someone over there already called it a Dominate.)

As for weak... I dunno, the 3rd level swashbuckler can pretty much always get Advantage in melee... The panache bit is a little too expensive action-wise, and the rogue is probably quite squishy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

gradenko_2000 posted:

At what level does Charm Person come up first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man they are allergic to making actual D&D 5e style race stat adjustments for these Unearthed Arcana races. Except Human the stuff in the PHB tends toward +2 to one stat and +1 to another, with a few exceptions that get better than that. But it seems like pretty much all of these Unearthed Arcana races get +1 to two stats.

Also Mariner is pretty awesome, and actually a Fighting Style that is useful for classes like Monk and Druid should the character Multiclass.