Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

paranoid randroid posted:

like movies are visual art but theyre also a storytelling medium and if your story sucks then you failed at half your commission right there

eh. writers are the same poo poo. particularly, imo, fantasy writers. they're usually either these great world builders or good character developers (aka story writers). few are both.

but there's also a notion that movie can be a good pulp show with pretty visuals and be a lovely story because, well it's just here to entertain. not every movie needs to be golden bough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If we are judging movies as purely visual art than avatar is the equivalent of a prog rock album sleeve

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

kustomkarkommando posted:

If we are judging movies as purely visual art than avatar is the equivalent of a prog rock album sleeve

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
a lovely story is not necessarily a bad one - you can entertain people with a big dumb moron story. a bad story is one that people dont care about sitting to the end of.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

If we are judging movies as purely visual art than avatar is the equivalent of a program rock album sleeve

did kraftwerk put out that many?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
purely as visual art, the preaquels fulfill their objective

unfortunately, lucas only saw them as visual art.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

CoolCab posted:

did kraftwerk put out that many?

You caught my phone typo.

But kraftwerk are p. good and I encourage discussion of them so I feel no shame

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

yeah but movies are not paintings and unless the visually compelling images are strung together in a fashion that makes me care about the spectacle then why should i sit for 90 minutes to get barraged by them

yeah not everything is Baraka

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

a lovely story is not necessarily a bad one - you can entertain people with a big dumb moron story. a bad story is one that people dont care about sitting to the end of.

i see you've seen lord of the rings: fellowship of the ring

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Awww, that sucks. But eh, I understand what they're up to. Mareen is one of the worst written parts of the books and the direction they're taking is going to bring us to resolution quicker. I have some qualms about lack of inclusion of the mummer's dragon so far (though that could be next season) but overall their writing has moved the story along better.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

i see you've seen lord of the rings: fellowship of the ring

i am descending on idaho as a cloud of wrath right now, buddy

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

aqualung is a good record

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

purely as visual art, the preaquels fulfill their objective

unfortunately, lucas only saw them as visual art.

they're bad at that, too

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

nutranurse posted:

whats been happenin

I promised my girlfriend I would call my doctor about my knee and I'm probably no gonna do it because it'll feel like giving in to the fact that I'm growing up.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

they're bad at that, too

tell that to a 9 year old kid

pewpewpewpewpew COOL BLUE! ORANGE!!! AHHH RED LIGHTSABER!!!!!! RED GUY!!!!!!!!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

they're bad at that, too

your killing me with this.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
so like do i want an iphone still or is there a good android phone

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sinnlos posted:

I promised my girlfriend I would call my doctor about my knee and I'm probably no gonna do it because it'll feel like giving in to the fact that I'm growing up.

watch Sinnlos take the first step down the road towards opiate peridition

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

CoolCab posted:

i srsly rock a Samsung clamshell

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

they're bad at that, too

yeah, the first shot of the second trailer is better than any shot in any of the prequels

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
and that's not a cool model name of anything resembling 21st century phones

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

pewpewpewpewpew COOL BLUE! ORANGE!!! AHHH RED LIGHTSABER!!!!!! RED GUY!!!!!!!!!!

children are idiots with no taste and should not be listened to

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CoolCab posted:

get a galaxy

Swan Oat posted:

children are idiots with no taste and should not be listened to

and yet, they still dont eat ketchup on hotdogs. huh.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sinnlos posted:

Please go to the doctor, Sinnlos.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

nexus 5 is a good android phone imo

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i want to:

listen to music

maybe some browsing

it to never irritate the hell out of me

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

CoolCab posted:

A Nexus 6 or a Moto X if you are looking at Android

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'm cool with killing off all the characters in meereen

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my iphone 6 is baller.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32580708
:ironicat:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

they're not good visually . the first movies are really, really, really good visually.

like the opening scene of new hope really tells you everything you need to know about the empire and the rebellion. nothing in the prequels even comes close tot hat.

sure there's these large cgi set pieces that are well-rendered, but nothing ever really tells a story.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CoolCab posted:

i want to:

listen to music

maybe some browsing

it to never irritate the hell out of me

galaxy s5

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sharkie posted:

Please go to the doctor, Sinnlos.

also this

you're refusal to go now will only have negative consequences later on both your wallet and how much you will be a drain on the healthcare in your area

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sinnlos posted:

A Nexus 6 or a Moto X if you are looking at Android

Own a Nexus 6 just for the name tbh.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

euphronius posted:

your killing me with this.

hmm?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

currently posting from a Motorola moto g.

I like it

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i had a nexus seven and it irritated the loving hell out of me

why does the alarm go off forever until the battery dies. why does it turn the loving screen on so this happens in an hour. why.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

it's not racist to hate arabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

also this

you're refusal to go now will only have negative consequences later on both your wallet and how much you will be a drain on the healthcare in your area

Welp she just texted me reminding me to do it. She seriously cares about me more than I care about myself and I love her for it.

• Locked thread