Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Out of the shadows, down the coin goes. Why oh why do you suppose?
Only the bandit knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thought it was quarter to five
But it was quarter to rear end
You thought your plumbing was safe
But your jeans were half-mast
Another coin down the drain
Now that's some change that won't last

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I really disliked the bad movie acting at first, but it grew on me as the episode went on. I think Frankie is intentionally trying to pretend to play steel drums incredibly badly. I think Britta needs some curls or waves or something in her hair. I liked Jeff's fear of being the last one at Greendale -- he's wanted more than anyone to get away, and now it's looking like he never will. The Glip-Glop was obnoxious and not funny, and I hated it unironically. Keith David is awesome. Abed is emoting a lot more than he ever has before, and it's weird, although the idea that he's trying to do what he thinks people would do in his situation makes it a little better for me. The tear running down Leonard's face cracked me up. And the tiny door that Chang had to leave through was great.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Community is still a good show and i like it :)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Seasons 1 and 2 of Community were literally the highlight of the past five years of my absurdly pathetic life, that's why it hurts me so much to see it be so bad, mister mean goon.

This is pretty great though.

Toxxupation posted:

i now pronounce you "free to stop posting about a show you hate"
can you do this for Arrow too because season 3 is slowly killing me

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was rewatching part of season 5, and the script Abed started out with in the most recent episode was the one he showed to Buzz Hickey in the episode where he locks Abed to his filing cabinet. A cop movie starring Police Justice :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The episode in some ways definitely stretches the show's reality more than usual, and I can see why that didn't work for people (and this WAS an issue with Season 4, where they weren't quite sure how to incorporate most of the goofy conceptual elements people were expecting.)

But still, I'm a sucker for bad moviemaking. I also love the "That's Lobstertainment!" episode of Futurama.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Are you from Leeds as well?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Guys one joke in the last episode didn't work for me

So I watched Community again from the start

And now I hate ALL of it

Oops!

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Is there a deeper joke/parody behind the weirdly political lyrics ("government men", "give you no quarter") or is it just being silly?

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Jesus loving christ will you people piss the gently caress off and stop watching the show. It can't win with you people. Nothing it can do will ever be enough. It has become more than just a tv program for you. Every episode has to be judged as if it was the most important thing in the world. Oh no Community is underachieving again, gently caress this gay earth! If you cunts could die in a horrible painful manner which takes quite a bit of time but kills you before you can post about community ever again... that'd be great.

This is hilariously insane. I described one episode of an overall great show as "not great." And this is the vitriolic response. I can kind of see where you're coming from. I once went a little nuts defending the amazing Season 3 Christmas episode, extolling its greatness and impugning the critic's ability to appreciate good comedy. This is straight up crazy though. I got probated for a day or so for my vociferous defense that time. You deserve at least a week for this hissy fit.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Jagermonster posted:

This is hilariously insane. I described one episode of an overall great show as "not great." And this is the vitriolic response. I can kind of see where you're coming from. I once went a little nuts defending the amazing Season 3 Christmas episode, extolling its greatness and impugning the critic's ability to appreciate good comedy. This is straight up crazy though. I got probated for a day or so for my vociferous defense that time. You deserve at least a week for this hissy fit.

Jagermonster posted:

Actors pretending to be bad at acting in a shoot within a tv show or movie just isn't funny.* It's tedious. It's bad. Movies and television need to retire that trope ASAP. Not a great episode.

*Unless it's Jack Donaghy trying to figure out how to walk.

Your post for reference. You didn't just say it was not great, you said the premise was tedious, bad.

Not justifying his response, but I can see how he arrived at that response. There are a number of people with "gar-bage dick" avatars whose only contribution to the thread is negativity and it is wearing, especially when the season so far has been the opposite of tedious and bad.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

kayakyakr posted:

Your post for reference. You didn't just say it was not great, you said the premise was tedious, bad.

Not justifying his response, but I can see how he arrived at that response. There are a number of people with "gar-bage dick" avatars whose only contribution to the thread is negativity and it is wearing, especially when the season so far has been the opposite of tedious and bad.

Garbage dick is just the newbie default avatar for people that don't feel like shilling out for a special avatar, what does that have to do with anything.

Here, I'll give one of your recent posts the same treatment:

kayakyakr posted:

Have to agree. Wish they had went with something ridiculous that she could actually do. It just looks so bad when they try to pass off that she's playing steel drums. poo poo, just cover the insides of the things with a blanket, watch a youtube of a steel drum player, and emulate that.

Oh, I'm sorry Community is too "ridiculous" for you! Why don't you watch something a little tamer that doesn't push boundaries, rear end in a top hat? Why don't you go turn on CBS or whatever vanilla bullshit is today's critical darling and stop criticizing something FREE that people enjoy! I'm sick of you shitheads nitpicking this show. If you're just going to poo poo on its creative choices then get the gently caress out! And die.

Seriously though, generalized negative comments about the show as a whole like, "it's bad" or "it's not good anymore" are worthless and just trolling. But articulating what wasn't enjoyable about a particular episode, be it a meta-acting trope or a steel drums gag that doesn't land/isn't executed well, is not a cause to flame post about.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Jagermonster posted:

Garbage dick is just the newbie default avatar for people that don't feel like shilling out for a special avatar, what does that have to do with anything.

You missed the point of my pointing that out: people are visual and so your posts will forever be associated with everyone else who has a stupid newbie avatar up until the point that you change it. Fair? No, but it is what it is.

e: also, my posts are largely positive and constructive with a fairly long history of posting in this thread. You've had 4 posts with the post in question being your first. So even if you weren't the victim of guilt by association via your newbie avatar, is it a fair assumption that you came here just to poo poo on things? Maybe.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 4, 2015

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Just caught up with the last two episodes, probably the worst of all seasons combined. Really poo poo.
Please consider this opinion.

ps: cop needs more airtime.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
This show is pretty good. If it does really well this season I want more.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

captain innocuous posted:

gently caress u

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Agreed, I'd spend more time with Elroy and Frankie. I think they've been great this season.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

First, we need the movie.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jagermonster posted:

First, we need the movie.

If they did a movie and were able to bring back old cast members, I wonder if they would try to bring back Buzz and keep this season's new cast members.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spacebump posted:

If they did a movie and were able to bring back old cast members, I wonder if they would try to bring back Buzz and keep this season's new cast members.

Buzz, Pierce and Troy are all dead. That leaves Shirley, Alex and a couple of professors.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Buzz, Pierce and Troy are all dead. That leaves Shirley, Alex and a couple of professors.

When did Troy die? I thought he was just captured by pirates, for all we know he is a pirate king now.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spacebump posted:

When did Troy die? I thought he was just captured by pirates, for all we know he is a pirate king now.

I thought I remember Leroy Burton eating him on an island or something. I could be wrong, though.

edit: vvv I'm not crazy! vvv

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 4, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Spacebump posted:

I think Harmon made a joke on his podcast about Troy being eaten or something, but I don't think that's canon

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

prefect posted:

Keith David is awesome.

Best new cast since Dean became a regular, and sometimes way better than some of the core group, like post-Troy Abed

Chang feels like a relic from the network days at this point. He's really misplaced as a regular member of the study group and worked better when he was a feral vent dweller who popped out to disrupt their schemes

I've been enjoying the season though, and it's not bad for a sitcom in its sixth year, especially considering what it's been through

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
drat nice to see this back up!

some drat funny stuff in the first episode

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Last Chance posted:

I think Harmon made a joke on his podcast about Troy being eaten or something, but I don't think that's canon

It was the other way around. Joel McHale made the opposite joke at ComicCon: he wanted to see Troy eating LeVar Burton.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Krowley posted:

I've been enjoying the season though, and it's not bad for a sitcom in its sixth year, especially considering what it's been through

That's how I feel about it. There's great stuff, but the show's kind of rough and worn out. Still much better than The Office in its sixth season.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

egon_beeblebrox posted:

That's how I feel about it. There's great stuff, but the show's kind of rough and worn out. Still much better than The Office in its sixth season.

Yeah. My Office DVD collection ends with S5. S6 was a real uneven year, it did improve in subsequent seasons but I just didn't care about the characters anymore. But I do like this season of Community and I'll definitely be getting the S6 DVD when it comes out.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Krowley posted:

Chang feels like a relic from the network days at this point. He's really misplaced as a regular member of the study group and worked better when he was a feral vent dweller who popped out to disrupt their schemes

This is the first season Chang's worked since the first.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I don't know about anyone else, but I try to stream the show on different devices, from different IPs (nothing fancy, just maybe watching on the phone on 4G rather than my home wifi) to give it just a little extra boost. With adblock off even, which is a pretty unprecedented concession from me. If Yahoo! doesn't give us at least a movie, I won't be able to help but feel a little betrayed.

Chwoka posted:

This is the first season Chang's worked since the first.
Yeah, one of this season's strengths is that they both know what to do with Chang and actually are willing to use him to anchor stories. He really proved himself in the ghost episode last season, I think.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Oh my god, I forgot Matt Berry was in an episode. I'm so excited.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The ending scene with The Guy from Jeff's Gym tv show intro was hilarious. Glad to see another episode with a great ending.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Next week's look to be a weird one.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Oof. I'm a little afraid we may have entered the "Harmon ran out of time and just slapped some poo poo together" part of the season. Someone please explain if there's another layer of comedy underneath "The Gang Does Grifting Tropes," because I'm just not seeing it, and I watched it twice in a row because it was so flat to me I thought I was watching it wrong. Ryan Ridley aside, It's like they didn't have time to go back and add / punch up jokes. Hot dogs??? Do I need to go watch The Sting or something?

It kills me to say this on several levels, but the show has dropped off in quality after the product placement episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Wasn't Koogler supposed to be in this one?

... or did I get grifted?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Wasn't Koogler supposed to be in this one?

... or did I get grifted?

I heard he'll be in the paintball one, but I'm not sure when that one is.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This concept was done sooooooo much better in S2's conspiracy episode.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO-ZGP68-3w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still liked it, partially because Berry is naturally so loving funny at everything he does.

• Locked thread