Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I was looking at the theories about the last episode that people have on Tumblr, and the ones I'm seeing are the most literal-minded, unimaginative interpretations possible and it's really frustrating.

Also I skimmed the transcript of Subway and it didn't support my ideas as much as I remembered. I think I just jumped to conclusions from this part: "... that singular point below our city ... That intersection of space and time. A sort of…navel of the universe." This, along with various pieces and breadcrumbs through the series, as well as (perhaps primarily because of) the fact that I really like M-theory, lead me to the "multiple timelines/universes" thing.
I know it's pointless and against the spirit of things to criticize other people's Night Vale theories, but "Omg Cecil is literally an immortal time-controlling god" doesn't seem very loving likely to me considering there are so many more interesting possibilities.

And, the book is super good so far and I can't wait to read the rest of it.

Edit: I think I over-reacted, it looks like now that they've had some time to think about the episode, people are coming up with more ideas.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Action Yak Police posted:

I was looking at the theories about the last episode that people have on Tumblr, and the ones I'm seeing are the most literal-minded, unimaginative interpretations possible and it's really frustrating.

Also I skimmed the transcript of Subway and it didn't support my ideas as much as I remembered. I think I just jumped to conclusions from this part: "... that singular point below our city ... That intersection of space and time. A sort of…navel of the universe." This, along with various pieces and breadcrumbs through the series, as well as (perhaps primarily because of) the fact that I really like M-theory, lead me to the "multiple timelines/universes" thing.
I know it's pointless and against the spirit of things to criticize other people's Night Vale theories, but "Omg Cecil is literally an immortal time-controlling god" doesn't seem very loving likely to me considering there are so many more interesting possibilities.

And, the book is super good so far and I can't wait to read the rest of it.

I think any interpretation of Cecil as anything other than a normal, two-eyed human in a weird-rear end town - at weirdest, a victim of time/space fuckery - is kinda missing the point.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
I have a question: what influenced the casting of the woman who played Old Woman Josie in episode 65? Was anyone else considered for the role?

Also... I didn't catch her name; it sounded like Rheda, and I'd like to look up the actress to see any other work she's done.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It was Retta, AKA Donna from Parks and Rec

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I think any interpretation of Cecil as anything other than a normal, two-eyed human in a weird-rear end town - at weirdest, a victim of time/space fuckery - is kinda missing the point.

in my headcannon cecil is a giant floating disembodied skull, deal with it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Earwicker posted:

in my headcannon cecil is a giant floating disembodied skull, deal with it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If anyone is an immortal time-traveling supergod in Night Vale, it's Lee Marvin

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Action Yak Police posted:

I'm seeing a whole bunch of people pissed off about Old Woman Josie all of a sudden? Because she was voiced by someone who is black and not latino? Of course they also threw a fit over Earl being voiced by Wil Wheaton. Man, I'm too old to figure out tumblr drama.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Since when is Josie a Latina name even?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

CaptainPsyko posted:

Since when is Josie a Latina name even?

If you go by this:

"In Parade Day Claire Wallace, a freelance photographer, sent in photos of a door that appeared in the empty lot across from the Rec Center. In these photos there's an old woman who's face can't be seen, but it can be assumed that this is Josie. In the first picture she's putting up a sign that reads “Future home of the Old Night Vale Opera House” with “Josephina Contracters, Inc.” in small print across the bottom of the sign. She's returning to the door in the next picture."

Then her first name is Josephina, Josie for short.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Wandering Knitter posted:

If you go by this:

"In Parade Day Claire Wallace, a freelance photographer, sent in photos of a door that appeared in the empty lot across from the Rec Center. In these photos there's an old woman who's face can't be seen, but it can be assumed that this is Josie. In the first picture she's putting up a sign that reads “Future home of the Old Night Vale Opera House” with “Josephina Contracters, Inc.” in small print across the bottom of the sign. She's returning to the door in the next picture."

Then her first name is Josephina, Josie for short.

Which is still not uniquely Latina. Could just as easily be polish or French or Italian or Swedish or Slovakian or even loving Jewish, according to the most cursory of googling.

Sure are a lot of dumb people on tumblr.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

CaptainPsyko posted:

Which is still not uniquely Latina. Could just as easily be polish or French or Italian or Swedish or Slovakian or even loving Jewish, according to the most cursory of googling.

...Isn't her name Josie Ortiz? Pretty sure that's a Spanish name.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

In the new episode they say her last name is Ortiz. One person on Tumblr pointed out, though, that she could easily have a Latino father and a black mother.
I really have no idea if it's a valid complaint or not.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rose Spirit posted:

...Isn't her name Josie Ortiz? Pretty sure that's a Spanish name.

Pretty sure there are also whole regions and countries full of people with spanish names that aren't latina though!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I also consider it completely scandalous that, having seen pictures of Mara Wilson, not only is she not especially old, but she has a face!

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

docbeard posted:

If anyone is an immortal time-traveling supergod in Night Vale, it's Lee Marvin

Who coincidentally turns 30 today. Happy birthday to Mr. Marvin.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

docbeard posted:

I also consider it completely scandalous that, having seen pictures of Mara Wilson, not only is she not especially old, but she has a face!

I have also seen people complain about the Faceless Old Woman not being voiced by an old woman.

I'm starting to suspect that tumblr doesn't understand what acting is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm starting to suspect that tumblr doesn't understand

Starting?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

So I really didn't think it was. But I went back and listened to the episode again and compared the sound at the end with a previous "tape change" in the same episode. They are the same sound. But, the end sound is slowed down a little bit. Not sure if that was a deliberate choice or they were just directly recording an actual tape deck and the last take they used was just different for whatever reason. But the rest of the "tape change"s all sound the same.

Anyway, if you want to hear I cut the two sounds together and made a screen shot of the wave form. First one is from earlier in the episode, second is from the end of the episode. Red line is just marking where one stops and the other begins.

http://picosong.com/XD9B/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

I'm seeing a whole bunch of people pissed off about Old Woman Josie all of a sudden? Because she was voiced by someone who is black and not latino?

Jesus Christ.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I'm seeing a whole bunch of people pissed off about Old Woman Josie all of a sudden? Because she was voiced by someone who is black and not latino? Of course they also threw a fit over Earl being voiced by Wil Wheaton. Man, I'm too old to figure out tumblr drama.

Are... are they not aware that a person can be both Black and Latina? Like... they know Gina Torres exists, right?

:psyduck:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Are... are they not aware that a person can be both Black and Latina? Like... they know Gina Torres exists, right?

:psyduck:

Forget it Jake, it's tumblrtown.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

maxnmona posted:

Jesus Christ.

They actually used the term "erasure" to describe it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

Jesus Christ.

You had to know

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

maxnmona posted:

Jesus Christ.

Also someone whose ethnicity has been a source of much debate, best not to open that can of worms.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
So to derail from Tumblr being weird, what's the outro music for "Best OF?"

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

maxnmona posted:

Jesus Christ.

I'm sorry such a huge chunk of your fanbase is legit insane.

My gripe was that Retta doesn't sound particularly old. (I haven't looked up the lady who voices the Faceless Old Woman, but her voice works so well I never questioned it.) But then I remember that this is Night Vale, and Old Woman Josie could easily be 40. Or age with Westerosi-seasons levels of inconsistency. Or be an ancient twelve-foot-tall skeleton that sounds like a random character from a sitcom, different to everyone who hears her. It's Night Vale, drat it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Diet Poison posted:

I'm sorry such a huge chunk of your fanbase is legit insane.

My gripe was that Retta doesn't sound particularly old. (I haven't looked up the lady who voices the Faceless Old Woman, but her voice works so well I never questioned it.) But then I remember that this is Night Vale, and Old Woman Josie could easily be 40. Or age with Westerosi-seasons levels of inconsistency. Or be an ancient twelve-foot-tall skeleton that sounds like a random character from a sitcom, different to everyone who hears her. It's Night Vale, drat it.

This is the lady who voices the Faceless Old Woman:

Transcendent
Jun 24, 2002

Solaris Knight posted:

I've been wanting to know this too.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Here at Liberty Hall and very excited for the show!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Solaris Knight posted:

its the same song as the opening theme (the Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt) just rearranged and played on different instruments

that theme is also in the 1940's section but a bit harder to hear as it is more changed and then goes into a pseudo-Shostakovich thing

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Man maxnmona you guys really knocked it out of the park. This love show was even better than last years and Mary Epworth was great.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

SalTheBard posted:

Here at Liberty Hall and very excited for the show!

I too, was at the Liberty Hall show. This was my first live WTNV show, and I had a blast. If anyone is on the fence about attending a show near you, don't be. Just go and enjoy yourself. I was with 3 other people who weren't that into the whole thing up front, and were sold on it by the show's end. One thing I was surprised about was that I went to go move my car around, and in the 15 minutes that took, they managed to clear the merch line and nobody was in the theater except tech staff, I was hoping to get back before it all closed up, looks like I'm buying some stuff online. :-\

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

It was Retta, AKA Donna from Parks and Rec

Oh cool! She sounded a little familiar, I guess that's where I knew her voice from.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'd say this episode is probably one of the best to use to introduce someone to the show. At most, I'd say they would miss out on the jokes about old woman Josie, otherwise they'd just need an FYI about Cecil being on vacation.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok so who is the goon that just called me by my something awful username in a hotel parking lot out yourself!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Earwicker posted:

ok so who is the goon that just called me by my something awful username in a hotel parking lot out yourself!

Lol sorry about that, I was a little under the influence and the wrong name came out. I loved the show though.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Any other goons going to the show Saturday in Bloomington? I'm super pumped for it.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Earwicker posted:

its the same song as the opening theme (the Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt) just rearranged and played on different instruments

that theme is also in the 1940's section but a bit harder to hear as it is more changed and then goes into a pseudo-Shostakovich thing

It's a really good remix. Is it on the Bandcamp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Earwicker posted:

Bet it wasn't as bad as someone calling you Dickeye at a concert