Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Life has gone to poo poo since I ran out of snus. Illegal to sell here and almost impossible to import. Been drinking more (back in hospital again because of it), smoking more, staying up later etc etc.
Life was good when I could pop in a snus pouch and relax and watch some automotive poo poo on YT and fall asleep early :(

gently caress all chance of importing it again, even the spare key caps I ordered from overseas were opened by customs.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Arriviste posted:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about how to show appreciation to my landlord with suggestions (and congrats.) I'm a lucky person in so many ways.

You've had some good suggestions I can't beat so I'll say congrats on getting to where you are. Do they have any outdoorsy hobbies?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Arriviste posted:

TL/DR: What non-booze gift do I bring this man for garage/wrench time?
I'd just ask him if there's anything he'd like, or if you want it to be a surprise, some kind of voucher/booking for a "couples" thing that'll get him brownie points with his wife.

I help out friends etc a bit with car stuff, and I'm generally happy if they feed me, owe me a favour on the back of their own skillset, or treat it as a pay-it-forward thing - particularly for minor stuff where it's more a case of a massive discrepancy between what it would take them to sort it and how easily I can do it, rather than it being a straight-up bastard of a job.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Life has gone to poo poo since I ran out of snus. Illegal to sell here and almost impossible to import. Been drinking more (back in hospital again because of it), smoking more, staying up later etc etc.
Life was good when I could pop in a snus pouch and relax and watch some automotive poo poo on YT and fall asleep early :(

gently caress all chance of importing it again, even the spare key caps I ordered from overseas were opened by customs.

Why the hell would it be illegal? I'm assuming if snus is, any kind of dip is also?

Just got a fresh can of Copenhagen and it's glorious although I REALLY try to keep it in moderation because I like having a face and teeth.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Never seen any dip here, but in 2008-2009 a whole bunch of things were made illegal here. EG they made nicotine for e-cigs illegal here to sell too, we have to import that too.
Never had any issue importing liquid nicotine for e-cigs, but snus is almost impossible to import being a "tobacco product". Liquid nic for e-cigs is not considered a 'tobacco product', so if you can get it from overseas fine, for now.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 4, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

never seen any dip here, but in 2009 a whole bunch of things were made illegal here. EG they made nicotine for e-cigs illegal here to sell, we have to import that too.
Never had any issue importing liquid nicotine for e-cigs, but snus is almost impossible to import being a "tobacco product". Liquid nic for e-cigs is not considered a 'tobacco product', so if you can get it from overseas fine, for now.
A whole raft of state laws come into play with liquid nic, some straight out say that is illegal too - but customs only care about federal law and federal law hasn't made a ruling on liquid nic - but they have made laws against snus and other tobacco products for local sales or import..
Is it allowed as part of your personal allowance when entering the country from abroad?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, just like any duty free product or for personal use product it is fine to import. It's the selling and distribution that is illegal.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Avengers AGe gf Ultron was pretty great.

Not as great as that girl's rear end from the previous thread but still pretty great. Other than the Vision sucking.

Wait what did I miss?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Cakefool posted:

You've had some good suggestions I can't beat so I'll say congrats on getting to where you are. Do they have any outdoorsy hobbies?

InitialDave posted:

I'd just ask him if there's anything he'd like, or if you want it to be a surprise, some kind of voucher/booking for a "couples" thing that'll get him brownie points with his wife.

I help out friends etc a bit with car stuff, and I'm generally happy if they feed me, owe me a favour on the back of their own skillset, or treat it as a pay-it-forward thing - particularly for minor stuff where it's more a case of a massive discrepancy between what it would take them to sort it and how easily I can do it, rather than it being a straight-up bastard of a job.

They travel a great deal and do short bike rides locally when their schedules allow for it. I know that his wife likes to buy local art (my apartment is also in the "Lowertown Arts District") and I have wanted for a long time to give them an art (fine art photo, painting, or drawing) I've made with them in mind just because they're awesome, but I haven't had a chance to get a good feel for their tastes. I've been hoping that, if I get a chance to visit the garage, I'll get a home tour so I can get a better sense of who they are. Considered offering to do a portrait project with them or scanning, restoring, and archiving old photos they may have (with a surprise archival, larger-format print of anything really special.) They already know I'm a decent computer/Android janitor and to call if they need help in that regard.

I don't have any living family and very, very few people I would call friends in my life, so that lack of a support network in recovery can make or break people. When things got rough, I had fortuitous encounters with folks who have no idea just how much the littlest things meant to my staying well and productive. I've got a list of people in mind due for some unexpected sweat equity once I can freely drive myself around again.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Cisco announced a new CEO this morning. In honor, Cisco's campus cafeterias are serving all their normal food, free. As much as you'd like. It's like a pack of sharks in there. One dude walked out with three large plastic take-out containers of salad, several slices of pizza, two orders of fries, a burger, and about 6 soft drinks.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Goons must know if he was fat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

Well, if he wasn't before...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
He could have been getting lunch for everyone in his department/desk cluster :colbert:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Fo3 posted:

Guy was probably 5'8", 160 lbs.

And That dude was just an example. Almost every single person was outta there with more than a single person would reasonably eat for lunch.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Arriviste posted:

I have wanted for a long time to give them an art (fine art photo, painting, or drawing) I've made with them in mind just because they're awesome, but I haven't had a chance to get a good feel for their tastes.

Nude portrait of yourself.

Seriously though I'm terrible at buying presents, the best ones I've given have always been things I've made.

In other news, and sorry for attaching a booze post to a reply to you, but I got a litre of Morgan's spiced for looking after the in-laws dog while they went on their first ever cruise. I also found out why they wanted us to look after her, rather than friends or trusted kennel: they feared there was a 50% chance she'd break a hip (severe displacia) or die and it was important to them she was with people she knew.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sigma X posted:

Cisco announced a new CEO this morning. In honor, Cisco's campus cafeterias are serving all their normal food, free. As much as you'd like. It's like a pack of sharks in there. One dude walked out with three large plastic take-out containers of salad, several slices of pizza, two orders of fries, a burger, and about 6 soft drinks.

Aren't you in RTP? If so, I want some free food.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Beginning to have serious doubts the company I work for is going to survive the summer.

I want to get lovely drunk because I've worked here for 13 years and all I've done is get a niche skill set honed.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

Aren't you in RTP? If so, I want some free food.

I am. It just so happens that we were scheduled to have an org meeting today that was canceled in light of the new CEO's workforce-wide address. So the 66-pizza order our org had for our meeting also was up for grabs. I'm thinking I'll bring home a pizza.

EDIT: Maybe not. It looks like about 20 already went missing.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 4, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Nodoze posted:

Yeah but why would you want one of those over an NSX :colbert:

:colbert: :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Coredump posted:

Wait what did I miss?

I worked a theater promotion and this girl who worked there was in a Black Widow costume and her rear end looked loving fantastic.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Cakefool posted:

Nude portrait of yourself.

Seriously though I'm terrible at buying presents, the best ones I've given have always been things I've made.

In other news, and sorry for attaching a booze post to a reply to you, but I got a litre of Morgan's spiced for looking after the in-laws dog while they went on their first ever cruise. I also found out why they wanted us to look after her, rather than friends or trusted kennel: they feared there was a 50% chance she'd break a hip (severe displacia) or die and it was important to them she was with people she knew.

No worries about booze chat. I'm not opposed to people enjoying alcohol if it doesn't cause problems in their lives. I'm just one of those folks without an off switch when it comes to my own consumption.

It was cool of your in-laws to give you a tasty gift and it was cool of you to have a safe, comfortable place for their buddy so they could enjoy their first cruise without as much anxiety.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sigma X posted:

I am. It just so happens that we were scheduled to have an org meeting today that was canceled in light of the new CEO's workforce-wide address. So the 66-pizza order our org had for our meeting also was up for grabs. I'm thinking I'll bring home a pizza.

OK I'll see you soon. Look for the lovely looking miata doing donuts in front of building 11. (I work up the street from you and I kinda name dropped you in the Raleigh thread)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I worked a theater promotion and this girl who worked there was in a Black Widow costume and her rear end looked loving fantastic.

Important question: Was she a redhead?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Important question: Was she a redhead?

Not naturally but that night she was.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

OK I'll see you soon. Look for the lovely looking miata doing donuts in front of building 11. (I work up the street from you and I kinda name dropped you in the Raleigh thread)

Oh right I kinda forgot there were Goonmeet threads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sigma X posted:

Even if you work somewhere that you get free lunch every day, you still see poo poo like this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even if you work somewhere that you get free lunch every day, you still see poo poo like this.

Guard Weekends. I'll get 2 chicken sandwiches and a huge salad and ice cream.

All free...well, free for me.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey Sigma, Phone:

I'm across the street from Cisco and the logo is blue.

We should all go out and get lunch sometime.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Rhyno posted:

It absolutely only comes up when its about her mother. Her mother was a terrible train wreck of person and I get that we want to remember our lost loved ones in a positive way but sometimes I want to get up and scream how her mom stole from us and everyone who ever gave her a chance.

It's just very frustrating how she gets over it. I had a friend leave personalized suicide notes to a dozen people and she seems to think that was me being able to say goodbye to that dude.

In every other aspect of life she runs from drama if possible, her mothers memory is the exception.

Would it be too hard for you to let it go in the name of love and getting along? Like instead of fighting, give her a hug and reassure her that you love her just in case you die tonight?

That's advice from my dad who's been married 58 years. He had a phase at around year 45 where he and mom would literally fight over everything, even stuff that they were doing for each other. Like she would ask if he wanted a drink with lunch and he'd get irritated and be like "why would I want that, I've only wanted a drink with my meal every day since we met". He realized that being irritated by someone you love is 100% your choice. And he realized how much he loved my mom and these fights were bullshit. So he just... quit fighting. She'd ask him if he wanted a drink and he'd say "yes please, water" or coke or whatever. Or if she started back seat driving he'd just tell her he loved her and thanks for caring enough to offer input. He didn't tell her he was doing this by the way, and within about a week she stopped it too. (she was just as bad as he was). They still bicker at each other once in a while, but overall it's nothing compared to the low spot they were in there for a while.

Just something to think about, probably easier said than done.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Busy weekend, couple of weeks ago I started volunteering with a society that keeps old planes in the air.
Last Saturday was their first airshow here in years.

Did any Coventry area goons manage to see anything in the sky?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shampoo posted:

Living it up 1995 style. Believe it or not, this was $6800 back then, which is somewhere near TEN GRAND today.

Oh, wow, that brings back memories. I was selling those for CompUSA back then.

Spent the weekend at a huge swapmeet. Didn't even see it all, but that's because I was a)bucks down, and just not in a buying mood, and b) lazy. snapped a few pics of interesting, cool, and/or unusual stuff. I'll post those over in awesome/awful pics as appropriate when I get them off the phone.
Something out at the Texas Motor Speedway set of my allergies pretty good. I don't usually have too much trouble, but I was sniffling all weekend.

Roadkill: can confirm awesome.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

But on the other hand your driving a dodge

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Rhyno posted:

Did you ever talk to her or get a picture? I was in a theater at the time waiting for avengers to start so don't think I saw a resolution.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Wrar posted:

Hey Sigma, Phone:

I'm across the street from Cisco and the logo is blue.

We should all go out and get lunch sometime.

Apparently we all migrated to the Raleigh Goonmeet thread. I'd be down for lunch someday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ilkhan posted:

Did you ever talk to her or get a picture? I was in a theater at the time waiting for avengers to start so don't think I saw a resolution.

She came into the store on FCBD and I chatted her up a bit and told her how great her costume looked. I did not explicitly say how good her rear end looked because despite what some may have said here that is just a bit beyond the line of good taste.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

LloydDobler posted:

Would it be too hard for you to let it go in the name of love and getting along? Like instead of fighting, give her a hug and reassure her that you love her just in case you die tonight?

That's advice from my dad who's been married 58 years. He had a phase at around year 45 where he and mom would literally fight over everything, even stuff that they were doing for each other. Like she would ask if he wanted a drink with lunch and he'd get irritated and be like "why would I want that, I've only wanted a drink with my meal every day since we met". He realized that being irritated by someone you love is 100% your choice. And he realized how much he loved my mom and these fights were bullshit. So he just... quit fighting. She'd ask him if he wanted a drink and he'd say "yes please, water" or coke or whatever. Or if she started back seat driving he'd just tell her he loved her and thanks for caring enough to offer input. He didn't tell her he was doing this by the way, and within about a week she stopped it too. (she was just as bad as he was). They still bicker at each other once in a while, but overall it's nothing compared to the low spot they were in there for a while.

Just something to think about, probably easier said than done.

Wow. That's some good advice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It is and I always try to roll it off. But she's so connected to the memory of her mother it can be very difficult some days.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Watching comic book NEEEERDS and "Cosplay Enthusists" argue over how someone looks in a comic book movie is so, so, so utterly hilarious. IMPOTENT RAAAAAAAAGE!!!!

I have distain for both at the best of times but the amazing slapfight breaking out over Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad(? No real idea on that one, dont give a poo poo otherwise) is just sooooo glorious at how mortally offended they are getting. You would think somoene shot their mother and raped their dog for all of the rage and hate flying about!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

You would think somoene shot their mother and raped their dog for all of the rage and hate flying about!
This pretty much what a lot of them are like. It's hilarious when you consider how many iterations of any given character there are over all the years they've existed and how what's "canon" basically gets thrown in a sack and beaten to a mush against a wall on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Nodoze posted:

But on the other hand your driving a dodge

He's got the wrong time: Dodge Viper ACR – 7:12.13 and that's the old ACR from 2010 :aaaaa:

• Locked thread