Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That's kind of a weird reality for me to think about. I see games as toys. I bought a 60$ toy and I'm getting a month or twos worth of play out of it. I could throw it out or resell it, whatever, but the value was accrued over a long period of time of learning and figuring poo poo out and getting something out of it.

Anyways, that's not really what I was addressing in my post. I'm just bewildered at the figure. Break it down however you want, even if it's four 60$ games, that's a lot of different things to learn, improve and beat in a 30 day period with Real Life happening as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Vega Conflict is kind of neat in the window dressing department. It seems to basically be Clash of Clans/Boom Beach style multiplayer base-raider but you manage a Alsace station base and send out your built fleet.

I'm sure it will get all F2P-y at some point and annoy me but I like it so far...

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Anyways, that's not really what I was addressing in my post. I'm just bewildered at the figure. Break it down however you want, even if it's four 60$ games, that's a lot of different things to learn, improve and beat in a 30 day period with Real Life happening as well.

well, live with someone else who also likes to play games in their free time and four games a month ain't exactly breaking the entertainment budget or too much to play. You get older, you have more time, you can't get too many games to play. It's not too bad. Having a Best Buy on the way home kinda makes it super easy to just stop in and find a new distraction for the weekend. It's cheaper than dinner and a movie.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Jesus you guys who called Sorcery 1 "short" were underselling it, this thing was literally over in two sessions. For $5 that's definitely a little disappointing, especially with how the game just teases you with "HEY HERE'S PART 2 JUST ANOTHER $5" during the end.

That minor gripe being said, this has made a fantastic first impression for the series with me. Even coming from 80 days, I was still impressed by the overall presentation, how satisfying the combat and spellbook mechanics felt, and how the decisions I made actually felt meaningful. I can't wait to make another playthrough to see how making different choices will affect how prepared I go into part 2.

Without going into too much detail, I do have one question about that Part 1 -> Part 2 transition:

How concerned should I be about carrying over large amounts of rations/gold/spell components and such? Since I didn't see the end point coming, I feel like I probably could've been a lot more liberal with how much gold I spent and how many rations I consumed. I definitely could've picked up more items/a new weapon in retrospect, but would that be more of a benefit than heaving a healthy supply of gold for part 2?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

fount of knowledge posted:

Jesus you guys who called Sorcery 1 "short" were underselling it, this thing was literally over in two sessions. For $5 that's definitely a little disappointing, especially with how the game just teases you with "HEY HERE'S PART 2 JUST ANOTHER $5" during the end.

That minor gripe being said, this has made a fantastic first impression for the series with me. Even coming from 80 days, I was still impressed by the overall presentation, how satisfying the combat and spellbook mechanics felt, and how the decisions I made actually felt meaningful. I can't wait to make another playthrough to see how making different choices will affect how prepared I go into part 2.

Without going into too much detail, I do have one question about that Part 1 -> Part 2 transition:

How concerned should I be about carrying over large amounts of rations/gold/spell components and such? Since I didn't see the end point coming, I feel like I probably could've been a lot more liberal with how much gold I spent and how many rations I consumed. I definitely could've picked up more items/a new weapon in retrospect, but would that be more of a benefit than heaving a healthy supply of gold for part 2?

I'd say from 1->2 the most important thing is spell components because you can't find some of them in the next part and more options is always a good thing. Money is always helpful but you can get a bunch in 2 from the new gambling game.

from 2->3 having a good number of rations can make your start a bit easier.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Telex posted:

You get older, you have more time

:psyduck:

But you're right, the rest of your post makes more sense now. Two enablers gamers living together could burn through that much pretty reasonably. I bought two games for myself so far in 2015 and I'm nowhere near having seen enough to be over them yet. I guess I'm not core anymore. In another dimension I spent that 120$ on IAP.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

fount of knowledge posted:

For what it's worth Part 2 is easily triple the length of Part 1. Also, even though Part 1 is pretty short start-to-finish, I've played through 3 times and found some pretty big areas/interactions (even stuff that significantly affects the next 2 parts of the game) that I totally missed the first time. As for carrying stuff over, yeah spell components are the biggest thing, and from what I've played of Part 3 it turns out rations are very very useful in a desolate wasteland; gold coins not so much. Don't stress too much, though, in a completionist sense -- there's a TON of mutually exclusive scenes and items and etc in the game and I really doubt there's gonna be a "Best Ending" at the end of the line. Just play however you want to tell your story -- I finished part 1 completely broke and bearing a plague on my last run through, just for kicks.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Getting older and having more time???

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Must be someone without kids.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No, the older you get the closer your death comes. You have less time.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Finished(?) Lifeline today, and was ultimately disappointed. I think I'm not alone in finding the main character a little obnoxious, and the presentation gets really awkward towards the end as the pace of the action quickens. I doubt having an iWatch would alter the experience at all, so I can't really recommend anyone give up half their cup of coffee for it.

That all said, I will echo the praise for the concept, and I'd happily give something else similar a shot. It feels like there's untapped potential here.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Finished(?) Lifeline today, and was ultimately disappointed. I think I'm not alone in finding the main character a little obnoxious, and the presentation gets really awkward towards the end as the pace of the action quickens. I doubt having an iWatch would alter the experience at all, so I can't really recommend anyone give up half their cup of coffee for it.

That all said, I will echo the praise for the concept, and I'd happily give something else similar a shot. It feels like there's untapped potential here.

Concept is great and I'm not one to believe some lightheartedness can't elevate the discourse, but that game's biggest failing is basically :

" oh poo poo my ship crashed on a distant planet, everyone I know is dead, I am stranded. Now check out how I text you with wit and snark Every. Other. Post...."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't know if I'd ever free up enough space, but theoretically how is Kotor for the iPhone (5)? Seems like an awful idea for a screen this size. It's $3 atm.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Feenix posted:

Concept is great and I'm not one to believe some lightheartedness can't elevate the discourse, but that game's biggest failing is basically :

" oh poo poo my ship crashed on a distant planet, everyone I know is dead, I am stranded. Now check out how I text you with wit and snark Every. Other. Post...."

I'd actually be really interested to hear the writer/developers talk a little bit about what went into this; it seems like some of the things that don't come across so well could have been purposeful decisions. Maybe we weren't really supposed to like Taylor very much, for instance. Likewise, there are times in the game where your input is requested and then promptly ignored/refused. In a game, that feels really frustrating and it gives the sense that the game is not playing fairly with you or that you are being railroaded through the story. I'm wondering if that sense of frustration is something they were trying to cultivate.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Feenix posted:

So the game's just a fanfic of The Martian?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I've got no kids and still no time. poo poo sucks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I'd actually be really interested to hear the writer/developers talk a little bit about what went into this; it seems like some of the things that don't come across so well could have been purposeful decisions. Maybe we weren't really supposed to like Taylor very much, for instance. Likewise, there are times in the game where your input is requested and then promptly ignored/refused. In a game, that feels really frustrating and it gives the sense that the game is not playing fairly with you or that you are being railroaded through the story. I'm wondering if that sense of frustration is something they were trying to cultivate.

I can dig an angle of unlikeable. It was more that he jokes and snarks and rambles humorously in his writing far too much for someone literally In their worst situation ever. It detracts immensely from the setting.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Enchanted Cave 2 is out now. $2.99 roguelike. I played it some on Kongregate, and it's pretty fun.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

I can dig an angle of unlikeable. It was more that he jokes and snarks and rambles humorously in his writing far too much for someone literally In their worst situation ever. It detracts immensely from the setting.

If you have read the Martian it's basically the exact same setting and the guy acts the same way. I personally didn't mind his attitude but I can see where you're coming from.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's just the frequency of it.

It's like... Do you want to blog or do you want to survive this?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I don't know if I'd ever free up enough space, but theoretically how is Kotor for the iPhone (5)? Seems like an awful idea for a screen this size. It's $3 atm.

The subtitle and tooltip text is just about unreadable on my 5S. I'd pick it up for $3 though in case you even get an iPad, I think I paid $10 for it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

The Enchanted Cave 2 is out now. $2.99 roguelike. I played it some on Kongregate, and it's pretty fun.

TThis looks pretty good but I would just be worried about the controls.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Feenix posted:

It's just the frequency of it.

It's like... Do you want to blog or do you want to survive this?

it's funny that there really are a few occasions - and not just the really obvious ones- where it seems like he really isn't overly concerned with his survival. You are, because that's how you win the game, but he's just yammering on about whatever.

On the other hand, there are a few occasions where you can very easily be like "yeah, ok, stick your head in there." Because, hey, it's not YOUR skin on the line.

I don't think they implemented anything like this, but I would be interested in something like this where the character goes ahead and makes decisions sometimes if he doesn't hear from you for awhile. I don't exactly want to be waking up in the middle of the night or anything to babysit, but it might add a little something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sock The Great posted:

The subtitle and tooltip text is just about unreadable on my 5S. I'd pick it up for $3 though in case you even get an iPad, I think I paid $10 for it.
Thank you. If I was planning on getting an iPad anytime soon I'd probably pick it up, but as is, saving a very hypothetical $7 dollars isn't worth it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is there any good 4x strategy games on the iPhone that don't require constant internet access? I'm looking for something closer to civilization or Masters of Orion rather than yet another Clash of Clans knockoff.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Randalor posted:

Is there any good 4x strategy games on the iPhone that don't require constant internet access? I'm looking for something closer to civilization or Masters of Orion rather than yet another Clash of Clans knockoff.

Starbase Orion is pretty good.

http://appshopper.com/games/starbase-orion

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.
I'm still tapping away at pocket miner 2, i wanted to know is there is a cap to the % increase to things. If my cards give me 200% more grenade crates do the +50% grenade crates gloves i have give me 250% or are the gloves wasted as theres a 200% hard cap?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

AggroJagg posted:

I'm still tapping away at pocket miner 2, i wanted to know is there is a cap to the % increase to things. If my cards give me 200% more grenade crates do the +50% grenade crates gloves i have give me 250% or are the gloves wasted as theres a 200% hard cap?
Bonuses from cards don't stack, so there's no point having two cards that boost the same thing -- just use the higher one. Card bonuses do stack with your equipment, though.

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.
I thought that the plus items did contribute, but the straight set percentage items did not in that the highest one took precedence?

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005
From the help, a 100% more bomb crates card and a +50% more bomb crates piece of gear will give 150% more bomb crates. No mention of a max percentage.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
The Ensign, sequel to A Dark Room, is free for the moment. It looks like it gets right to the fireworks factory of overworld ASCII exploration.

Anyone have any aggravation-avoidance tips? Or is figuring it all out indeed the sole point?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Following up on my own question, it does appear as though you start stronger with either more total play time, more deaths, more successful combats, or else some factor of all of those.

I liked A Dark Room a fair bit and so far I like this too, if anyone was on the fence of "free".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm in a good mood so I figured I'd give everyone in the thread $170 for free.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321726007139?nav=SEARCH

Don't spend it all in one place.

Edit: this Star Wars thing is becoming to me what the creepy anime titty soccer game is to that other guy. It's just so awful I can't look away.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 4, 2015

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BGrifter posted:

I can't even begin to understand the ridiculousness of that app and people spending so much on .jpg pictures.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

JazzFlight posted:

I can't even begin to understand the ridiculousness of that app and people spending so much on .jpg pictures.

"vintage" "cards" that have fold and crinkle marks

that would ironically be worth next to nothing if they were real cards

:psyduck:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

JazzFlight posted:

They just released this ugly thing today. Limited to 50 copies and sold out in maybe 2-3 minutes, only available in the cash shop packs. People are begging to trade the $170 fuzzy picture of Han Solo for it. In the comments people are guessing it'll sell on eBay for $300-$500+.

If everyone is bored of this train wreck I can stop posting about it. It's pretty :psyduck:

Edit: Incase you can't guess it's supposed to be a "commemorative Yoda coin" from the new Star Wars Mint collection.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 4, 2015

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Crossposting from the roguelike thread:

Neat little iOS roguelike called MicRogue. .99 cents USD, pretty charming so far. Climb ten levels and get the treasure. You die in one go, so do most enemies, you can move one or two spaces in cardinal directions, you've got a shield that can take three hits, some enemies make you swap positions with them, some move in diagonals. Kind of cute art style, nice (limited) writing. Doesn't kill music you have playing for its own (pretty decent) music. I like it a lot so far, even if idk if it's gonna replace Hoplite for me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is there metagame progression like how you'd unlock new skills with achievements in Hoplite? I'm a sucker for that

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

BGrifter posted:

Edit: this Star Wars thing is becoming to me what the creepy anime titty soccer game is to that other guy. It's just so awful I can't look away.

Screenshot :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Like, it's not even attached to some kind of game so it's literally useless.