Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dreylad posted:

I dunno if the municipality was getting fleeced but the thing that slowed down getting streetlights at an intersection near my parents that had half a dozen fatalities in one year was the cost. It was something like $150k to get buy and install them

sure they have a set-up cost

maybe if your parents lived in a place with a street grid rather than curvy worvy whindy bendy wendy dead-ends, it wouldnt cost so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

if you tell me this is the name of an actual town i will believe you

its the name for meth country in pennsylvania outside of pittsburg/philadeldphia

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The neighbor across the street from me installed a airport level spot light on his garage and its the most loving annoying thing I hate him so much

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I liked the McCartney and aha bond songs you jerks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jagchosis posted:

its the name for meth country in pennsylvania outside of pittsburg/philadeldphia

It's a gross oversimplification

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

euphronius posted:

The neighbor across the street from me installed a airport level spot light on his garage and its the most loving annoying thing I hate him so much

what

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what does he use it for

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
sounds bourgeois to me

guillotine

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

euphronius posted:

the neighbors behind my parents place have one of them mounted over their back patio that used to blast right through our back windows. then they built an aboveground pool and one of the parts of the fence around the deck for it blocks it out

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

Weld a bat signal shape in that sucker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It lights up the inside of my house at night it's awful

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

V. Illych L. posted:

what does he use it for

well usually they're supposed to make it so a burglar will be caught or if you need to do a thing in the area of the light late at night

in reality they trip at random and annoy

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

what else does the area manufacture and export?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

euphronius posted:

Lol

The market will fix this

it isn't even a good ruse because my GPS still shows me as not actually in the car

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nintendo Kid posted:

I woke up on sunday with my knee in excruciating pain if i moved it at all. It's only slightly better today.

:glomp:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

V. Illych L. posted:

it's ok, mostly, but it contains some rather pernicious oversimplifications

euphronius posted:

People get spergy about the details even though imho the point of the book was to get people to think in new ways about old issues.
Oh yeah there's definitely oversimplification, even back in high school I picked up on that, but it definitely did its job explaining how the Europeans had the deck stacked way in their favor from the first time they set foot on the American continents.

In my history classes I'd always had a sense that there was more to the story of why the Europeans always seemed to have the upper hand in world events, and Guns, Germs, and Steel laid it out in a way that didn't pretend that the Europeans were innately superior because of some sort of "culture".

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

what else does the area manufacture and export?

Agriculture, steel, lots of manufacturing, mining, shale, logging off the top of my head

Off course service industries

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh poo poo city council member yelling at people holy poo poo

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

if the city council sees you liveposting, what happens?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nintendo Kid posted:

well usually they're supposed to make it so a burglar will be caught or if you need to do a thing in the area of the light late at night

in reality they trip at random and annoy

this sounds really dumb, jesus christ

fade5 posted:

Oh yeah there's definitely oversimplification, even back in high school I picked up on that, but it definitely did its job explaining how the Europeans had the deck stacked way in their favor from the first time they set foot on the American continents.

In my history classes I'd always had a sense that there was more to the story of why the Europeans always seemed to have the upper hand in world events, and Guns, Germs, and Steel laid it out in a way that didn't pretend that the Europeans were innately superior because of some sort of "culture".

yeah, it was a good thing at the time, but it's not really á jour anymore. people who smug it up about it are generally smug about being fatally out of date.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Idgi

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
do you people not have easements of light and poo poo or what and nuisance torts or what

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tide turning against more lights hahah

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

orange is the new black is a good show

that character is named pennsatucky, she's a violent, arrogant methhead/born again christian

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol city council member told women they'd be safer if they didn't drink so much rather than adding lights.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Oh poo poo city council member yelling at people holy poo poo

now is your chance

procure the video before anyone has a chance to delete it

use it as blackmail to force a resignation

get yourself a council seat

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Tide turning against more lights hahah

still better than the poo poo that be going down at the college of dupage's board

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Disinterested posted:

do you people not have easements of light and poo poo or what and nuisance torts or what

easement of light sounds like some bullshit that only benefits a rich guy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Light easements work as a right for sunlight

Nuisance would be the claim to stop too much light but u can't sue the municipality for nuisance

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Easement of light sounds like a 12th-level paladin spell

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_light

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Light easements work as a right for sunlight

Nuisance would be the claim to stop too much light but u can't sue the municipality for nuisance

like hell i can't

i'm a city councilman and my wife was elected county judge, like hell i wont sue you, and you, and you, and ESPECIALLY YOU MS. CATLADY WHO COMES TO EVERY MEETING SMELLING LIKE PEE

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

that was the weirdest uber ride though i got the charges waived

just me sitting in the back seat which is full of what i am assuming was designer bottles of hand sanitzer stashed around with the driver being this young 20-something valley girl being the driver

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

do they even make nice bottles of hand sanitizer

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
lol the guy who posted the "is the left trying to start a race war" thread just made another thread :qq:-ing about a $15 minimum wage

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

was that even hand sanitizer

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

lol the guy who posted the "is the left trying to start a race war" thread just made another thread :qq:-ing about a $15 minimum wage

that guy is considered a bad poster in the GBS doobie thread

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

was that even hand sanitizer

it was probably perfume but for comedy purposes i say lube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Pffff Tylenol, pain relieving my rear end