Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i went from a wrt54gl to a e3000 with the same qos rules in tomato and it was noticeably better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

is the wrt54gl enough to handle a 25mbit dsl connection with QoS rules or is the hardware too old to do it effectively? they're still skating by on a 200mhz processor but I really like the tomato firmware, but even the cheapo $20 tplink things that can run dd-wrt are coming with 500+mhz chips

it will handle it ok if you also don't need to do file transfer between computers on the network

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I had a rev1 wrt54gs back in the day and it did a rental house with a few people without much of a problem but the cable was capped at 12mbit. no idea if it can handle twice that through the nat or not. not having qos on this att home gateway shitpile is killing me though

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

is the wrt54gl enough to handle a 25mbit dsl connection with QoS rules or is the hardware too old to do it effectively? they're still skating by on a 200mhz processor but I really like the tomato firmware, but even the cheapo $20 tplink things that can run dd-wrt are coming with 500+mhz chips

it's crap

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

those mondo asus RT-N16 routers are on rebate for $55 so that sounds good to me. thank you for the recommendations, didn't know about all the tomato forks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
can ddwrt do qos well? i have some cheapo tplink thing now and im just using the stock firmware and it works ok but could be better.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

how is the ipv6 support of tomato?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when i had my e3000 running tomato(usb?) ipv6 worked fine afaict

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i solved my qos problems by just getting a 120+ down connection

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

can ddwrt do qos well? i have some cheapo tplink thing now and im just using the stock firmware and it works ok but could be better.

I know it does but tomato was way easier to set up and manage and the graphs are much better for figuring out what is going on and tuning

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cool beans because i have an netgear wndr3700v1 but the ipv6 support is bad/nonexistent so i'd like to fix that with a firmwares

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
the efficacy of qos (for home use at least) is dubious at best

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

you're an idiot and it works great to pressure down a dipshit saturating the connection with a torrent

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

you're an idiot and it works great to pressure down a dipshit saturating the connection with a torrent

so at your house... the dipshit is you!

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

cool beans because i have an netgear wndr3700v1 but the ipv6 support is bad/nonexistent so i'd like to fix that with a firmwares

ddwrt is very good on this router, but mine is starting to show its age after a few years and the N wifi is getting a bit fucky

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i know this is from the "water is wet" file but the cable modem gateway we have is so bad. like if you download uncapped from steam it kills the whole connection.never happened with my old asus router but sadly that routers radio got funky

i need to bridge wthis piece of poo poo and get anything routing in its stead

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

bridge it or get a 6121

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I know it does but tomato was way easier to set up and manage and the graphs are much better for figuring out what is going on and tuning

yeah tomato is really good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

yeah tomato is really good.

esp on a burg

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

esp on a burg

or in a grilled cheese

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

or in a grilled cheese

an unconventional but excellent manuever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
this is good advice for cable fyi

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if you need more than 4 channels for your speedy internet the 6121 won't keep up
if you have more than 4 channels you probably already have the box that supports it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
I like the 6141 because it's like $5 more for a little bit of futureproofing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

do Seagate external hard drives still fall apart? Amazon has a 5tb external Seagate on sale for $129 and a 4tb WD for $131. I know their reputation is not for reliability and the last Seagate I had died within 6 months taking my vast collection of Linux ISOs with it, but I also know WD puts lovely drives in their external boxes too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Luigi Thirty posted:

do Seagate external hard drives still fall apart? Amazon has a 5tb external Seagate on sale for $129 and a 4tb WD for $131. I know their reputation is not for reliability and the last Seagate I had died within 6 months taking my vast collection of Linux ISOs with it, but I also know WD puts lovely drives in their external boxes too.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol I didn't know it was that bad

gently caress Seagate

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Luigi Thirty posted:

coming from my perspective, i'd get a hitachi if i were buying a spinning disk hdd

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

if you need a reliable hard drive, get several, use raid 0, and don't neglect the thing

or join us in 2015 and just don't store all those files locally

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you need a reliable hard drive, get several, use raid 0, and don't neglect the thing

my internal drives are a pair of 1tb hooked up in raid plus my main ssd, yes. this is an external drive for my steam library, mame library, and junk like that.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Sniep posted:

coming from my perspective, i'd get a hitachi if i were buying a spinning disk hdd

My Hitachi must be off balance. It vibrates too much.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

my internal drives are a pair of 1tb hooked up in raid plus my main ssd, yes. this is an external drive for my steam library, mame library, and junk like that.

just

just

just let them go

gaben's not gonna delete all your poo poo, those pirated ROMs aren't going to get harder to find ever

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lmao do not raid0 your storage drives especially externals jesus

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

never ever do raid 0

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

never ever do raid 0

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

lol at my odd drive raid 5

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

lmao do not raid0 your storage drives especially externals jesus

ah poo poo got raid 0 and 1 confused

because

I'm not some dipshit janitor

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

some dipshit janitor

dsyp :xd:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ah poo poo got raid 0 and 1 confused

because

I'm not some dipshit janitor
sorry that raid arrays aren't web scale enough for you

raid 0 is the one where if any of the drives fail, 0 is the amount of data you have left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the rule of thumb with raid is higher number = better