Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I assume it is the same applicability as Carnor Jax's ability that prevents evade and focus tokens from being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, "at range 1" means "at range 1 from this ship," it's fairly unambiguous.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Irom posted:

does the Raider come with a 6 template then?

No but Star trek attack wing base set comes with one, and a 4 bank :getin:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

I think the only thing that is actually out of print is the Z95. My local game store has had everything but those (and huge ships) cycle through in the past month. The guy who works there says all the suppliers are out. Can't even find them with prime shipping on Amazon.
And yet Barnes & Noble is selling them at 10% off. And I could always find falcons there even when everyone else was sold out. It's like they're in some kind of alternate universe bubble when it comes to x-wing stuff.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Wanna make sure I'm using Jake Farrell the right way.

As I understand it, this works: Jake, with PTL, moves without provoking stress. I can then take an action, then trigger PTL to focus, then he can boost or barrel roll, and then he takes a stress token, correct?

Come to think of it, is there anything preventing me from using his action to boost, PTL -> focus, then boost again?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

grassy gnoll posted:

Come to think of it, is there anything preventing me from using his action to boost, PTL -> focus, then boost again?

You can't boost twice. I know this because I made that mistake. You can, however; take a focus, barrel role, then boost.

Also, any advice on these two lists? Going to a store tournament soon and want to try something Scum related.

Kavil (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Blaster Turret (4)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Kath Scarlet (Scum) (38)
Predator (3)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Proximity Mines (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

OR

Hired Gun (20)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Hired Gun (20)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Kath Scarlet (Scum) (38)
Predator (3)
Proximity Mines (3)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 5, 2015

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

grassy gnoll posted:

Wanna make sure I'm using Jake Farrell the right way.

As I understand it, this works: Jake, with PTL, moves without provoking stress. I can then take an action, then trigger PTL to focus, then he can boost or barrel roll, and then he takes a stress token, correct?

So I forget the exact wording on Jake's ability, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no, as you can't ever take the same action more than once in a turn.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

can goons who were at the Omaha regional explain how this

Eaden Vrill: HLC, anti-pursuit lasers, recon sepc
Chewbacca: C3PO, title, Luke Skywalker, Predator.

Won the whole thing

were there just like, 10 people there? was everyone bad? what the hell

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I mean its not a terrible list at all. I'd personally drop APL and bump chewy up to a 58 point Dash but its basically the same idea and he doesnt have to worry about the dead zone. If you go after chewy first hes gonna auto evade 2 dmg and survive forever while vrill tears you apart with HLC if you go vrill first he defensively blocks you leaving chewy for endgame. What makes you think that list shouldnt do well?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

New meta is fantastic and I won't hear a bad word about it. Rebel control lists are back, so finally I can break out Biggs and the Y-Wings again. :getin:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is there a limit on how much stress a pilot can have on them? I don't have the rule book handy and i want to think that there isn't.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

Won the whole thing

Also Landon has been flying that list (or a very similar list) for almost a year now. He's drat good with it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is there a limit on how much stress a pilot can have on them? I don't have the rule book handy and i want to think that there isn't.

Nope. If there was then Tycho Celchu would have exploded a million times over by now.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Endman posted:

New meta is fantastic and I won't hear a bad word about it. Rebel control lists are back, so finally I can break out Biggs and the Y-Wings again. :getin:

New ships being viable is cool, but I'm with ALG and have no idea how that Eaden Vrill list does anything. Chewie is solid, sure, but Eaden is basically dead weight. I think what people are missing is that Eaden doesn't have the Outrider title. So, against most opponents, he's a 2 die turret, or 3 at best. You could just switch a few points around and have Mangler + Title instead which is superior basically all the time, but...nope. It's bizzare.

Edit: seriously, I'd love to have the guy flying it chime in, because it's crazy that list won to me.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

tycho_with_ptl_and_ei_and_daredevil.jpg

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Kai Tave posted:

Nope. If there was then Tycho Celchu would have exploded a million times over by now.

Endman posted:

Yeah that's what i figured, it annoys my imp player to no end that Tycho especially is able to just laugh off all stress and completely ignore it as a mechanic and i take pride in that annoyance, i just wanted to be sure it was the right way to annoy him is all.

Strangely didn't hear him say a thing about it the last time we played and my IG-200B got like 2 stress just trying to stay within murdering range of his Decimator though...

Endman
May 18, 2010

The Gate posted:

Edit: seriously, I'd love to have the guy flying it chime in, because it's crazy that list won to me.

Me too. I've got a feeling it was the shock factor of coming up against such a weird list combined with confused target priority and some stellar flying.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

Or Expert Handling, I have an A-Wing list that uses this combo I'd like to try out. It's funny because one of my first games was against a guy playing with Tycho and yet he never really exploited his ability nearly as much as he could have. I'm hoping the next chance I get to just wind up with, like, two dozen stress tokens as Tycho careens around the map like a pinball.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Endman posted:

some stellar flying.

That has to be a big factor I'm sure. Otherwise the first swarm it faced would have just taken it apart. The firepower isn't there to really shred lots of ships quickly.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Gate posted:

New ships being viable is cool, but I'm with ALG and have no idea how that Eaden Vrill list does anything. Chewie is solid, sure, but Eaden is basically dead weight. I think what people are missing is that Eaden doesn't have the Outrider title. So, against most opponents, he's a 2 die turret, or 3 at best. You could just switch a few points around and have Mangler + Title instead which is superior basically all the time, but...nope. It's bizzare.

Eaden is there to guard against PTL ships. Hes a very good anti Soontir ship. He either A) blocks soontir and APLs him and has chewy finish him B) forces range 1 and gets 4 dice on a stressed soontir or C) gets his HLC shot while soontir focuses chewy. The outrider title is basiclaly a huge liability in this list
Its also pretty good against double IG which is big

The Gate posted:

That has to be a big factor I'm sure. Otherwise the first swarm it faced would have just taken it apart. The firepower isn't there to really shred lots of ships quickly.

swarms aren't really big anymore to worry that much about it

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 5, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Gate posted:

He's not a goon (I don't think; never seen him post here), but he really is a fantastic player. The whole KC area is chock full of them. I'd honestly say he's not even the best player in the region. The best two players in KC didn't even head up that direction.

I think it's important to realize that Eaden is a PS 3, so you have to take into account where he's going to move (and he can be just about anywhere with that dial and barrel roll) and trying to get inside range 1 of the HLC is a great way to bump and take damage without even getting to shoot back. With Chewie helping out (with Luke and Predator) and lots of green dice everywhere, that's a pretty tough list to take down. It's unconventional. It's not bad.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

zVxTeflon posted:

swarms aren't really big anymore to worry that much about it

We still have plenty in our meta, though it's usually <something scary> and then 4-5 cheap ships and not a pure 7-8 ship list. I guess that's how it works for that area. But here Decimators are pretty common as people run those as the anti-Soontir ship of choice. Personally, I really hate upgrades that depend on your opponent screwing up with their ships too, like APL, but that's me I guess.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

alg posted:

Won the whole thing

there were 50 people and a bunch of really good players there so uh

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I dunno, the lesson I'm taking from this is that if you're a good enough player you can show up with some weirdo list and still pull off a win, which is something I appreciate in a game instead of "oh, did you bring that guy? Guess you lose." Eaden Vrill is an inspiration to us all.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I just dont get why its considered some weird off the wall list. :confused:

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

This is weird because there's nothing here to cause Eaden's ability to trigger. However, the HLC with focus is nice.

I don't see anything weird about this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Eaden Vrill would be nice to see in a stress build. Paul flew stressed ships with Biggs on Saturday.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think Eaden in that list was mostly for points. He's also great insurance against a Soontir or A-wing list that's otherwise nigh unhittable.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Eaden Vrill would be nice to see in a stress build. Paul flew stressed ships with Biggs on Saturday.

Paul's list was what inspired me to take Biggs out and dust him off.

Something just feels so right about using an X-Wing again. :allears:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

zVxTeflon posted:

There are literally zero lists like that around here. No one is running double large ships since swarms are in force in this area.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

There are so many better options than Eaden Vrill. Depending on your opponent to:

bump you for the APL
stay in range 1 of you and be stressed so you can fire decent red dice
stay in arc with their auto thrusters
stay in arc and range 2 of the HLC

Just to have him be a decent ship?

Maybe it's my meta but autothrusters and swarms would tear that apart. That guy must be an insane pilot to win a regional with that.

Endman
May 18, 2010

alg posted:

There are so many better options than Eaden Vrill. Depending on your opponent to:

bump you for the APL
stay in range 1 of you and be stressed so you can fire decent red dice
stay in arc with their auto thrusters
stay in arc and range 2 of the HLC

Just to have him be a decent ship?

Maybe it's my meta but autothrusters and swarms would tear that apart. That guy must be an insane pilot to win a regional with that.

Does anyone have a list of results including the rest of the top 8 from that tournament?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I remember hearing in the KC group that it was six Rebel lists and two Scum lists. Didn't hear specifics.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

I remember hearing in the KC group that it was six Rebel lists and two Scum lists. Didn't hear specifics.

I swear to god it's like bizzaro world compared to here.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The KC area in particular has like six really loving good Rebel players. Landon is one of them, but Jon Reinig and Brandon Barthel are both gods of wangs and even though I'm probably not too horrible in the grand scheme of things they make me feel like a brand new player every time we fly.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

The KC area in particular has like six really loving good Rebel players. Landon is one of them, but Jon Reinig and Brandon Barthel are both gods of wangs and even though I'm probably not too horrible in the grand scheme of things they make me feel like a brand new player every time we fly.

It's just odd, because the dials on Rebel ships aren't generally that amazing. I know in our meta we see a lot of Imps because things like Soontir can dominate against an equally skilled player because you just never get to take shots at them. Last year's NA champ Rick plays at our store, so it's not like we lack good players either. It's really crazy that the meta is so different. And good, because that points to lots of lists being viable.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Is it just me, or would this list be stupidly powerful and also fun as hell to play?

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)
Kavil (24)
Opportunist (4)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Palob Godalhi (20)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Blaster Turret (4)
Outlaw Tech (2)
Kaa'To Leeachos (15)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Hoping someone experienced with X-Wing can help me out. I bought into X-Wing not long after it initially launched. I have:

3 X-Wings
3 Y-Wings

5 Tie Fighters
1 Tie Advanced

Without buying much more are these enough to form a semi-decent list that would stand up to later wave lists for either Rebel or Imperials? (one that I won't get completely wrecked while using, but doesn't have to be incredibly good either). I can't afford much more for now as I'm mostly focusing on Armada, but I want to play some X-Wing while I wait for locals to get into Armada too.

Basically am I going to get eye-rolled if I rock up to a gaming shop with only wave 1 ships?

Endman
May 18, 2010

You can go with Biggs + R2-D2 and 3x Gold Squadron Pilot + Ion Turret for some stun lock shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Endman posted:

Is it just me, or would this list be stupidly powerful and also fun as hell to play?

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)
Kavil (24)
Opportunist (4)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Palob Godalhi (20)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Blaster Turret (4)
Outlaw Tech (2)
Kaa'To Leeachos (15)
Veteran Instincts (1)

I'm enjoying Kavil in the couple of games I've played with him. Is Opportunist going to be that good though? I really liked using PtL.

• Locked thread