Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

What about ScpServer?

I believe that emulates XInput at the driver level, rather than injecting a DirectInput to XInput wrapper into the game itself. Should be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Did they release a patch with the durability fix yet? Remember reading about it some weeks ago.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Who's Europa?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The guy who made DS2Fix, PVP Watchdog, etc.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Smol posted:

Did they release a patch with the durability fix yet? Remember reading about it some weeks ago.

Nothing yet, sadly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are graphics mods like sweetfx or gemfx in danger?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

So I am talking with Europa.

According to him, FROM are indeed flagging every game hook like complete idiots.

This means that you risk a softban from any use of Cheat Engine. So, uh, do that offline.

Before you start cheering, they do not seem to discriminate between game hooks. Meaning that, say, you'd also be hit eventually for using x360ce to use a non-XBox controller. Don't use DXTory either.

In short, FROM remains incompetent.

lmao guess im gonna eat a softban for recording a game then.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tallgeese posted:

So I am talking with Europa.

According to him, FROM are indeed flagging every game hook like complete idiots.

This means that you risk a softban from any use of Cheat Engine. So, uh, do that offline.

Before you start cheering, they do not seem to discriminate between game hooks. Meaning that, say, you'd also be hit eventually for using x360ce to use a non-XBox controller. Don't use DXTory either.

In short, FROM remains incompetent.

Any idea if they can detect savegame editing? I'd like to just edit the file to have more petrified dragon bones but I'm nervous now.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Are graphics mods like sweetfx or gemfx in danger?

Supposedly, and frankly I'm inclined to trust him and err on the side of caution.

For what it's worth, they aren't detected by VAC, so I wouldn't panic but I would take it off.

Part of the problem here is that we don't know if From's bans are automatic or manually issued. Bandai Namco has at one point implied that From looks at specific accounts (see: The Big Picture Mode long name trick), but them saying so doesn't mean it's true.

This means that you're basically at the whims of From and the competency of their (most likely) Japanese server team on this one.

I'm not sure how well known SweetFX etc are in Japan. They don't make edits to the executable, so they're "less" likely to get you banned, but again, it depends on From. So eh. Wait and see!

This is the "fake VAC" situation when DS2 first got released all over again, isn't it?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 4, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Or just do whatever and we will all play on the softban pool.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
When everyone's softbanned, nobody will be.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly, I think that most players have no idea of these enhancements.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
I've been using 360ce (and nothing else) and saw a pretty dramatic drop in summons a few days ago, I wonder if I've been softbanned.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Online activity is so erratic for me that I'll probably never be able to tell if it happens to me. The only things that I've used that might trip it were gedosato (for the original version) and now gemfx, so I will be pretty drat pissed out of principle if that gets me softbanned. From's cheat detection and "solutions" to it are maybe the worst I've seen in any game.

e: Also the SCP DS3 drivers so I can use my PS3 controller, but if they ban over that then holy poo poo. Not that they wouldn't but just ugh, what a terrible system.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Drivers wouldn't do it (we hope), it's stuff that you have to drop into the game's directory or otherwise hook into it that would give you problems. This sort of thing did not really happen in vanilla DS2 except maybe with MetaCap, this is something new to SOTFS.

GemFX might do it, but you won't know until you suddenly can't see signs in Iron Keep Bridge.

If you go to Iron Keep Bridge, aren't in the Covenant of Champions, and don't see a smorgasbord of signs, then you should be concerned.

You can email Bandai Namco (support@namcobandaigames.com) and ask if you've been softbanned, but this is something of a catch-22: if you are softbanned they'll tell you, but if you aren't you are basically doing the equivalent of asking the Eye of Sauron to look at you.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 5, 2015

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So, what's the deal with the final boss battle? The first two phases were pretty fun, but the third was confusing. First the bed of chaos looking guy instakilled me a few times with his big fireball(still not sure what was up with that) and then he just sat there and let me kill him. Except he had a ton of resistance and a fire aura so it took like 10 minutes of plinking away at him with a crossbow.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ariong posted:

So, what's the deal with the final boss battle? The first two phases were pretty fun, but the third was confusing. First the bed of chaos looking guy instakilled me a few times with his big fireball(still not sure what was up with that) and then he just sat there and let me kill him. Except he had a ton of resistance and a fire aura so it took like 10 minutes of plinking away at him with a crossbow.

That last part sounds like a bug. He loses the flames and the damage resistance during/after most of his attacks. Maybe he just wasn't attacking because you were too far away or something.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
How do you know if you're softbanned? Is there a surefire way to check? I just want to know, so I can never buy anything with the name From ever again, if it happens to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could email namco bandai support and they'll tell you.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
But I keep thinking that, it would bring extra attention to my account and maybe emailing them could cause them to softban me?

I only use the SCP DS3 thing for ps3 dual shock. Im just saying, setting that stuff up was a hell of its own just to play the game with a controller. If they ban for that, after finally getting it to work, I don't think I want to play anymore.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It is incredibly unlikely you'll be banned for controller drivers, they aren't like x360ce.

But yeah, you have to decide if emailing Bandai Namco is worth the fact that they have to scrutinize your account to find out if you're softbanned. They have to ask From's server team about you, and frankly, there's always this background idea of "why is he asking if he didn't do anything".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Other than that there is really no way for you to check. Being softbanned places you in a pool with other softbanned people, so you may still see summon signs or be invaded. The only way to really "confirm" it is to have a friend with the same soul level range who is themselves confirmed to not be softbanned try to summon you and vice versa. If you can't do it, even when wearing the gods ring, then either you might possibly be softbanned or it could just be nebulous server issues.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That last part sounds like a bug. He loses the flames and the damage resistance during/after most of his attacks. Maybe he just wasn't attacking because you were too far away or something.

I ran up to him and attacked him a few times.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah that guy is known to glitch out and get stuck in hyper armor mode instead of continuing to attack you. If all else fails you could just Feather out of the fight

(incidentally so many people don't seem to realise that Ancient Feather is a perfectly reasonable strat against Elana summoning her big add)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
All banning comes from the unbanned. Only when the unbanned have shook the yoke of the oppressor will we awaken. The freedom to not care anymore. Only in this are we all equal. Only in this are we all free. Burn us to the ground and let the ashes mix and coalesce in the perfect unity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azran posted:

The two bests bows are the Hunter's Blackbow due to fire speed (it can fire like four arrows in the time it takes other bows to fire three) and scaling, while the Sea Bow has a longer range IIRC.

Personally I always use the dragonrider bow for a strength character, it probably has worse DPS but it hits like a truck with each shot.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mr Dog posted:

Yeah that guy is known to glitch out and get stuck in hyper armor mode instead of continuing to attack you. If all else fails you could just Feather out of the fight

(incidentally so many people don't seem to realise that Ancient Feather is a perfectly reasonable strat against Elana summoning her big add)

My strat for that summon was "press R2 3-4 times". It has way less HP than the normal version.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I pretty much have MSI Afterburner running 24/7 when I have the computer on because it manages my GPU overclock. Could its temperature/FPS/memory usage etc overlay that it puts on every game running cause a softban? I just started with SOFTS and summon signs are very rare for me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I used it for a number of hours measured in hundreds on the original version with no trouble, and a few hours in SOTFS without a ban. Although that may have been before whatever changes are going on right now.

If you're worried you can rename RTSS.exe to keep MSI afterburner but kill rivatuner statistics server, which is what gives you the overlay and does video recording. MSI afterburner obsessively restarts it the moment you close it, so you have to rename the .exe before you close it. I disabled it once it started killing the steam overlay in a bunch of games, including SOTFS.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 5, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

As a low level hexer, is there any reason to wear the hexers set (apart from the helm) over, say, the Drangleic set? The hexer gear seems to have massively lower defence but higher elemental resists, and I'm not encountering situations where that helps. Is it more of use later in the game?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The hood is the only part that has an effect (raising your int/faith by one and giving you 10% additional spell casts), so you can feel free to wear pretty much whatever else you want.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
You should probably have gotten the Lion Mage set in the shaded woods, every piece of that has +cast speed, which is always helpful. Then trade 4 unique boss souls with Straid for the Black set.

My hexer is wearing the Black hood (+2 int and faith, +11% cast speed) and the rest Lion Mage set, who needs defense when as soon as you've seen an enemy its dead to dark orb.

Still not very interesting though, and rubbish in pvp except against idiots so I'm running around with a quick parry shield and a dagger for stabby-stab time since I don't have the stats for any other weapons for the real fights. I was parrying with a rapier in the offhand for a while by equipping the Dex ring from the DLC, but that seemed unsporting.

Metos fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 5, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure I'm softbanned now. Previously there were summon signs everywhere, and if I placed one I would be summoned instantly. Now I still see messages and ghosts everywhere, but I haven't seen a summon sign in two hours or so and any signs I place time out. Is there a sure fire way for a lower level character to check without emailing From (and making myself seem guilty). I've literally not used any other programs except for I guess afterburner.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, it is Tuesday. Tuesday is Steam server maintenance day if I recall, but it doesn't last two hours.

Check the Iron Keep Bridge in a few hours on a character that can access it. If you're human and barely see any signs, then you have cause for concern.

Alternatively, get someone who isn't having problems and try to summon them via Name-Engraved Ring. If you inexplicably can't, then yeah.

Even more alternatively, make a family-shared account. If you summon on that account, and not your original, then you're definitely softbanned on the original.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 5, 2015

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm softbanned now. Previously there were summon signs everywhere, and if I placed one I would be summoned instantly. Now I still see messages and ghosts everywhere, but I haven't seen a summon sign in two hours or so and any signs I place time out. Is there a sure fire way for a lower level character to check without emailing From (and making myself seem guilty). I've literally not used any other programs except for I guess afterburner.

There's a thing now where killing a boss gives you the same effect as burning an effigy at a bonfire. Could that impact your ability to see summon signs?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

NeurosisHead posted:

There's a thing now where killing a boss gives you the same effect as burning an effigy at a bonfire. Could that impact your ability to see summon signs?

Oh is that why that was happening? I thought it was a drat bug. What a dumb addition.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Well, it is Tuesday. Tuesday is Steam server maintenance day if I recall, but it doesn't last two hours.

Check the Iron Keep Bridge in a few hours on a character that can access it. If you're human and barely see any signs, then you have cause for concern.

Alternatively, get someone who isn't having problems and try to summon them via Name-Engraved Ring. If you inexplicably can't, then yeah.

Even more alternatively, make a family-shared account. If you summon on that account, and not your original, then you're definitely softbanned on the original.

When I go on a family shared account (on the same computer obviously) my save isn't there. How would I fix that?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Oh is that why that was happening? I thought it was a drat bug. What a dumb addition.

Basically the idea is "you've completed this area, congratulations, and now you have a 30 minute grace period to run around in the area to farm or talk to NPCs or be summoned, without having to deal with invaders". Most of the time it doesn't really matter - I've most appreciated it in Iron Keep when yes, actually I just want to talk to Magerold and I'd otherwise be invaded before i was halfway across the bridge.

If you don't like the automatic effect, you can cancel it at a bonfire with no penalty to be subject to invasions again right away.

If you like the automatic effect and want to maintain it past the initial 30 minutes, you can burn a human effigy to do so. (The game sure as hell throws enough of the drat things at you. I bumped into the 99 cap on them in my latest playthrough.)

If you don't mind the automatic effect while it lasts, but don't like it enough to burn an effigy, then take the 30 minutes and then let it wear off when it wears off.

e: I want to say that the effect also only blocks player summons and invasions, and NPCs are still fair game (though obviously you won't see their summon signs if they're tied to a particular boss being alive).

Vil fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 5, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

NeurosisHead posted:

I get this random other times that aren't after killing a boss as well - I think being afk for a bit might do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I get this random other times that aren't after killing a boss as well - I think being afk for a bit might do it.

The effect is tied to the area. So if you kill the Last Giant and then leave to do Heide, you won't get the effect unless you return to the Forest, but when you *do* return you'll still have 30 minutes left.