Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

feedmyleg posted:

Same question for non-shticky, non humorous movie podcasts - but for not current films? Could be B-movies, bad movies, forgotten gems, great movies, or film history in general - just not about films in theaters now. Think The Hollywood Gauntlet.

e: or perhaps Maltin on Movies or The Canon, but I'd prefer something that's not just straight-up reviews. The Canon only really did it for me when it did the Star Wars vs. Empire Strikes Back and E.T. vs. Close Encounters.

Give Battleship Pretension a try. It's two guys who pick a topic relating to cinema and talk about it. Sometimes the format strays where they have interviews and year-end lists and reports from festivals. Current movies do pop-up if they're relevant to the conversation but they aren't a review show. The guys are longtime friends but don't yuk it up all the time.

They recently started doing weekly "Movie Journal" episodes where they just talk about what they've seen since the last one, but that's mostly to keep the regular episodes from getting cluttered up with that stuff. There are over 400 episodes so maybe look around for a few topics that sound interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Really like anything ghost and I'm looking for something similar (paranormal, ghosts, that sorta thing). It's probably already been covered here.
I do really like what I've heard of Campfire and mysterious universe but I was wondering what else people would suggest.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Bolocko posted:

One of my favorite podcasts is the Duncan Trussell Family Hour, which is Buddhist comedian Trussell interviewing various personalities and talking about 'far-out poo poo' for 90 minutes or more. (Here's a fun one with Dan Harmon http://youtu.be/1bIiDqGKdG4 )

Holy poo poo this is excellent. Thank you.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

savinhill posted:

I'm looking for a good movie podcast that does straight forward in-depth reviews and analysis and isn't full of the hosts doing schtick or trying to be funny all the time, as well as not being a bad movie podcast.

feedmyleg posted:

Same question for non-shticky, non humorous movie podcasts - but for not current films? Could be B-movies, bad movies, forgotten gems, great movies, or film history in general - just not about films in theaters now. Think The Hollywood Gauntlet.

e: or perhaps Maltin on Movies or The Canon, but I'd prefer something that's not just straight-up reviews. The Canon only really did it for me when it did the Star Wars vs. Empire Strikes Back and E.T. vs. Close Encounters.

I really like this one, and it's only at ep. 3: Lens me your ears podcast. They pick a subject and then talk about movies associated with it. Production values are quite high, so no issues with mic levels and the like.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anyone have some hilarious lady podcasts? I love Nightvale, the F Plus and Critjuice.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

Anyone have some hilarious lady podcasts? I love Nightvale, the F Plus and Critjuice.

Mimi on the Podcast of Ice and Fire is awesome, just naturally funny without being all tryhard snarky. I don't know if it'd be worth listening to though if you aren't into the books they're talking about.

SpannerX posted:

I really like this one, and it's only at ep. 3: Lens me your ears podcast. They pick a subject and then talk about movies associated with it. Production values are quite high, so no issues with mic levels and the like.

I used to listen to this IFC movie podcast http://www.ifc.com/fix/2010/12/the-ifc-news-podcast-archive, they had a similar setup. I don't think they make it anymore though but most of the episodes are still good and relevant.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Any good podcasts about car or motorcycle maintenance (preferably aimed at laymen)? I've tried listening to Car Talk but I just cannot deal with the hosts, something about them is super annoying and grating.

Also shout out to Uhh Yeah Dude, which I discovered through the podcast thread several years ago. Such a fantastic, on-point comedy podcast.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

SylvainMustach posted:

Really like anything ghost and I'm looking for something similar (paranormal, ghosts, that sorta thing). It's probably already been covered here.
I do really like what I've heard of Campfire and mysterious universe but I was wondering what else people would suggest.

Knifepoint Horror might be up your alley. Every episode is a new horror story with a lot of ghosts and demons and stuff. Occasionally aliens and witchcraft. Horror poo poo. Some of the readers need to speak the gently caress up, at least early on, and some of the stories are a bit trite, but I'd otherwise consider it worth listening to. I actually came here to look for some recommendations based on it, and Anything Ghost looks like it might be what I'm looking for so thanks for that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I kind of listen to the usual suspects, I guess, skewing comedy and some historical/educational and basketball. Figure I'll just list off the ones I follow and maybe someone might have other suggestions for those types of topics (or humor).
Skeptoid, Revolutions, Hardcore History
Uhh Yeah Dude, MBMBAM (and Adventure Zone), Lou Reads, The Bone Zone
I did also finally listen to (and finish) Serial and enjoyed it. I'm always in need of new podcasts to try. Maybe I'll just get back into Sawbones.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

mdh1975 posted:

This might be too vague but are there fitness/healthy podcasts that you can recommend? Something goony with some humor mixed with you should be doing this or that as opposed to a robotic personal trainer or overly bubbly spin instructor. Or even vegetarian/vegan with a twist of humor that doesn't focus solely on the ethical side?

This is old, but I was about to post basically the same question. Anyone have any suggestions for a good general health podcast?

Unrelated, I'd recommend Slate's Whistlestop to anyone interested in odd stories from political campaign trails. It just started so it only has a few episodes, but I've liked its little slices of history so far.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I kind of listen to the usual suspects, I guess, skewing comedy and some historical/educational and basketball. Figure I'll just list off the ones I follow and maybe someone might have other suggestions for those types of topics (or humor).
Skeptoid, Revolutions, Hardcore History
Uhh Yeah Dude, MBMBAM (and Adventure Zone), Lou Reads, The Bone Zone
I did also finally listen to (and finish) Serial and enjoyed it. I'm always in need of new podcasts to try. Maybe I'll just get back into Sawbones.

Yo listen to the dollop it's dope. Also yeah listen to Sawbones it's still great.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
^ Oh No, Ross & Carrie is pretty cool as well. They're on Maximumfun now, but if you want episodes from before they joined, I think podbay has all of them.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Space Cob posted:

Unrelated, I'd recommend Slate's Whistlestop to anyone interested in odd stories from political campaign trails. It just started so it only has a few episodes, but I've liked its little slices of history so far.

I listened to almost all of these based on your recommendation and I'll second it. They are just about the perfect length and the host keeps up a brisk pace while remaining a good storyteller. I'm not huge on American politics but find the stories interesting regardless.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Space Cob posted:

If you like this, and you should, check out "Ken Rudin's Political Junkie" podcast - Rudin was one of NPR's now defunct "It's All Politics" show, which remains one of my favorite political podcasts ever.

Political Junkie has segments for the week's events in politics, but about 1/3 of each episode near the end is political history.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Is there a consensus on a good podcasting app (android) on this forum? I listen a lot to podcasts while driving to work, so far I've been using itunes and syncing that to my phone with isyncr, but it's not an ideal solution.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Podkicker works pretty well, and the ads aren't super intrusive.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

kanonvandekempen posted:

Is there a consensus on a good podcasting app (android) on this forum? I listen a lot to podcasts while driving to work, so far I've been using itunes and syncing that to my phone with isyncr, but it's not an ideal solution.

I like BeyondPod pro, you don't need to sync it with a PC, just use the phone itself. Was it worth the :10bux:? I think so.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

SpannerX posted:

I like BeyondPod pro, you don't need to sync it with a PC, just use the phone itself. Was it worth the :10bux:? I think so.

Seconding BeyondPod. It and Pocket Casts are the two most popular in the android app thread. I've definitely got my value for money with BeyondPod pro.

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

TheModernAmerican posted:

Podkicker works pretty well, and the ads aren't super intrusive.

I'm a podcast junkie and have been using Podkicker Pro for years. Well worth the $3 for the paid version.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Holy Dread! posted:

I'm a podcast junkie and have been using Podkicker Pro for years. Well worth the $3 for the paid version.

Same. I used the free version for about a year until I figured if nothing else, the dev definitely earned the pittance he asks for pro.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I was happy with Podcast Addict, a free Android app, until I decided to spend the cash on Pocket Casts, which I prefer. I found it easier to go through backlogs with Podcast Addict, but prefer Pocket Casts in pretty much every other way. The fact that you can link your account across other device platforms is pretty nifty since I prefer Android phones, but only use my iPad for other tasks.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

SpannerX posted:

This might be a silly question. I use BeyondPod for my Kindle Fire. Is there a way to sync the app between my phone and my tablet?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Ms. Happiness posted:

This might be a silly question. I use BeyondPod for my Kindle Fire. Is there a way to sync the app between my phone and my tablet?

Yup! The functionality's still in beta, though.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Anyone have any good recommendations for podcasts about current movie news? I listen to AMC Movie Talk but its a little too "everything is awesome" for my taste. Looking for something a little more along the lines of Hollywood Prospectus but solely on film.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Are there any podcasts that focus on self improvement, meditation, and general wellness? I'm looking for some positive vibes for my morning commute.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Invisible Ted posted:

Same. I used the free version for about a year until I figured if nothing else, the dev definitely earned the pittance he asks for pro.

does it drop out in the middle of streaming for you or is it just my phone? but yeah otherwise its great. Actually I wish it had a way to put downloaded eps into folders.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

SpaceAceJase posted:

Are there any podcasts that focus on self improvement, meditation, and general wellness? I'm looking for some positive vibes for my morning commute.

This is a crowded genre but I enjoy the Model Health Show.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Joey Coco Diaz is good for morning motivation but it's not meditative.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Politicalrancor posted:

does it drop out in the middle of streaming for you or is it just my phone? but yeah otherwise its great. Actually I wish it had a way to put downloaded eps into folders.

It does that when I switch between mobile data and wifi, so if I'm streaming something at home and I leave halfway through, it'll stop once it gets through what's already buffered.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Some friends of mine have launched Hold My Order Terrible Dresser, a deep-dive watch along history nerd WKRP in Cincinnati podcast. They aren't up in iTunes yet (I guess they need a few more episodes in the can first) but the latest one, episode 4, covers the classic "Turkeys Away" episode. In it they discuss the hidden occult working written into the episode, the existential horror of being a sitcom character and the great American malaise of the late 1970s.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Started on The Truth, and wow! Almost every episode is phenomenal!

Can You Help Me Find My Mom? really loving hit me. Holy gently caress.

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

i imagine this has been asked before but i couldnt find it.. but what are some good science podcasts? news or informational, mainly looking focusing on biology, astronomy, or just general science.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

i am he posted:

i imagine this has been asked before but i couldnt find it.. but what are some good science podcasts? news or informational, mainly looking focusing on biology, astronomy, or just general science.

Quirks and Quarks (iTunes link): A weekly news-oriented podcast from CBC, about an hour long but broken up into 5 unrelated segments. You can also subscribe to a feed that has each segment as a separate shorter podcast so you can pick and choose.

The Naked Scientists (iTunes link): UK based group. Podcast is about 45mins to an hour long, mostly news based but sometimes they do shows oriented around a theme, sometimes live shows with an audience and audience participation in experiments. The same group put out science specific podcasts including Neuroscience, Astronomy, Genetics, etc. The main show is weekly.

Transistor from PRX (iTunes link): Single topic podcast, weekly, anywhere from 10mins to 40mins. The three hosts include an astrophysicist, a biologist, and a neuroscientist (all women, which is cool) and each episode is usually one host doing a story on their area of expertise. They recently did a podcast I enjoyed called "The Poison Squad: A Chemist’s Quest for Pure Food" about how scientists studied the effects of chemical preservatives in food in the early 1900s. It's a new podcast but I like it a lot.

StarTalk Radio (iTunes link): Neil deGrasse Tyson and a cohost (usually a comedian) talking science (usually astrophysics/astronomy, but not always). Hour long, weekly. Sometimes the shows are interviews, sometimes the shows are Q&As with audience questions.

More or Less
(iTunes link): Does a statistics show count as a science podcast to you? UK based podcast from the BBC, 10-30 minutes weekly. They examine stats that come up in the news, often when listeners write in asking about this-or-that claim to come out. UK-focused (especially right now with their election coming) but should still be required listening for anyone who quotes a statistic.

I personally subscribe to More or Less and Transistor currently, but I've subscribed to each of these for some length of time and they are all decent.

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

Wow thanks a lot. That's a lot better response than I was hoping for. They all sound pretty good, I'd only heard of StarTalk and The Naked Scientists before. I'll give them all a try.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Jesus Christ I literally cannot make it through the latest episode of Sword and Scale, though maybe I could have before I had kids. Maybe.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I want to find a podcast about the paranormal and conspiracies stuff where the host or hosts aren't obnoxious Dawkinsian skeptics or overly credulous tinfoil-hat true believers and I just don't think something like this exists... Can u prove me wrong????

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I want to find a podcast about the paranormal and conspiracies stuff where the host or hosts aren't obnoxious Dawkinsian skeptics or overly credulous tinfoil-hat true believers and I just don't think something like this exists... Can u prove me wrong????

Try Mysterious Universe.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

ChetReckless posted:

Try Mysterious Universe.

Seriously this. It's the perfect line. The hosts are enthusiastic about the potential, without ever taking parascience on its word

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Whew, you guys are good. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The true crime has it's hooks in me.

Serial is interesting, but flawed.

Criminal is short and is only monthly, but is amazing every time.

Sword and Scale™ is very good and long. It bothers me when they label people with legitimate mental problems as evil.

Anything else floating around out there?