Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Passion for Dilbert posted:

'Lathspell I Name You' is a monster of a song.

Yep.

I'm listening to the debut album from the choir on the opener, Assembly of Light, and they have a track where both Alexis from Daughters and Chip do guest vocals. And now I want to hear a Daughters/The Body collaboration.

e: Was anyone at Desertfest London last week? I only just saw the lineup but if I'd known loving Noothgrush were playing in the UK I'd have happily travelled a few hours to get to one of their shows. :(

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Really enjoying the new Monolord. It's basically sounding like a better/more creative version of Electric Wizard's recent output. Obviously the Sabbath worship is strong, but they have some more modern influences at play I think, and it sounds REALLY HEAVY. I'm impressed. Worth having a break from Bell Witch for.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Not sure if I'm just really behind or if these guys are well known or not, but I was listening to this last night and holy gently caress it's so good.

Black doom...one of the youtube comments said "just kinda sink into it...and sink...and sink" and they were right. Holy gently caress it's noisy and slow and heavy and I love it.

The Secret- Solve Et Coagula
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PXfSAzX09Q

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nomapple posted:

Really enjoying the new Monolord. It's basically sounding like a better/more creative version of Electric Wizard's recent output.

so like, old electric wizard?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Not sure if I'm just really behind or if these guys are well known or not, but I was listening to this last night and holy gently caress it's so good.

Black doom...one of the youtube comments said "just kinda sink into it...and sink...and sink" and they were right. Holy gently caress it's noisy and slow and heavy and I love it.

The Secret- Solve Et Coagula
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PXfSAzX09Q

Sounds more like black/grind mostly, I guess the slower parts are kinda doomy.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I have a serious person question: So here's what Sleep is gigging with, do they use all that or are some of the heads and cabs switched to for particular sounds? (do they run all this poo poo at once)?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I have a serious person question: So here's what Sleep is gigging with, do they use all that or are some of the heads and cabs switched to for particular sounds? (do they run all this poo poo at once)?

Some of the heads are just backups- you can see that a couple of Matt's aren't even turned on. I wouldn't be surprised if the cabs with mics are the only ones actually being used, since they're the ones that will come through the PA.

Then again, it's Sleep, so maybe they're using all of them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wouldn't worry about sleep not being loud enough 😉

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

there's a band that comes through my local small venue that runs 8 cabs that size and it's loud as hell

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

yoober posted:

there's a band that comes through my local small venue that runs 8 cabs that size and it's loud as hell

Beast in the Field loving own, BTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW0gpC16DE

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Robophile posted:

pic is from my bad phone during their show a week ago Sunday. Honestly I still haven't listened to their recordings but I've seen them live twice now and this past time I bought two (2) shirts christ it's good

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Beast in the Field is seriously the most underrated couple dudes.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

yoober posted:

Magma shirt :circlefap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Lu2ELWN0A

Only the second metal musician I've seen wearing one (the other being Sam Smith, bassist of Artificial Brain). I'm definitely going to have to check out Beast in the Field!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
They own so much

http://youtu.be/_q6j9g-17r4

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hearing this for the first few times, enjoying it so far.

Album page

Stoner metal/heavy rock with some prog and a little jazz to it. Gets spacy with the echoes in the last couple of songs. Much better than the cover art suggests.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Robophile posted:

Hell yeah. Reminds me of Pelican when they used to play metal, although I'm not sure Pelican ever had so much energy.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Haha, I've also found what's sitting behind Matt Pike's wall of heads/cabinets:

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Man this sucks. Bongzilla and Bell Witch are in town tonight, playing different venues. Who scheduled this?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Man this sucks. Bongzilla and Bell Witch are in town tonight, playing different venues. Who scheduled this?

That's weird, they played together here last night. Profetus opened, and all three bands were awesome.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

New Weedeater song's out:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2015/04/28/402772268/vikings-choice-weedeater-bully

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

I will cast a vote for Bongzilla

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

nerve posted:

I will cast a vote for Bongzilla

Team Bell Witch!

e: because they're awesome guys and they were great at Roadburn and seeing 2 people make music with that much depth rules.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

you should get mightily ripped and experience that Bell Witch sound live

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Bongzilla is cool but if I had to pick I wouldn't even consider missing Bell Witch.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
bongzilla all the way. legendary band who most likely will never come to europe again.

i'm actually gonna see em twice, on wednesday and on saturday.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
And the winner is... Team Bell Witch!! Holy shitballs they owned so much. A+++ would miss bongzilla again.

Edit: jk still sad i missed bongzilla.

Edit2: The opening band, Profetus were pretty bad though. I guess they played reasonably well but they had no bassist and 3 guitarists playing p much the same slow riff in unison for 45 minutes. Snoozefest.

Edit3: Wait Bongzilla did one show in Sweden and are doing FOUR in Finland?!?!

kukrunkarmaskin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 5, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Hmm Bell Witch seems to be getting a lot of buzz lately *checks pitchfork* oh, the usual post-p4k review hype that explains it

Don't get me wrong it's a good album

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I fell asleep with Satan Woshipping Doom on my headphones. Woke up on Worship and thought the stereo was too loud and tried turning it down before I realized it wasn't even on. Felt like an idiot but goes to show how great that album is.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Edit3: Wait Bongzilla did one show in Sweden and are doing FOUR in Finland?!?!

yeah baby! eyehategod has played here 5 times in the past 5 years. i've seen ummm sleep, eyehategod, goatsnake, jucifer, church of misery, acid king, ufomammut, st. vitus, pentagram, BLOOD FARMERS and so many others here in helsinki.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 7, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GODS NOT REAL posted:

I fell asleep with Satan Woshipping Doom on my headphones. Woke up on Worship and thought the stereo was too loud and tried turning it down before I realized it wasn't even on. Felt like an idiot but goes to show how great that album is.

If you haven't listened to the live recording of it from Roadburn do yourself a favor and give it a spin.

Worship is on there twice :getin:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Thou & Sleep tonight, and as expected, they both owned.

For some reason, though, I was under the impression that the crowd would just be a bunch of headbanging potheads. There were those (that's probably the most continuous weed smoke I've smelled at a show since I saw Snoop Dogg at a festival a couple years ago), but I was surprised at how large of a pit there was too. Like, at one point during Sleep, the entire crowd was shoving each other and people were crowdsurfing and it was wild.

Also I didn't really dig the bass outro. The bass intro was alright because it led into the set, but the outro didn't lead into an encore or anything. It went on for like 10 straight minutes, and like 5 minutes into it, the crew started breaking down the drums, so I don't know why it went on for another 5 minutes or so. It seemed kind of unnecessary.

That's my only real complaint, though. Other than that, the show ruled. Matt (the guitarist) looked like he was having a loving blast the entire time and that made it even more enjoyable for me.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
I was also at the Sleep show and it was indeed great. I was hoping they would play Antarcticans Thawed but the set we got was excellent so I won't complain.

Also, thanks to the folks who recommended Etymotic earplugs. I picked up a pair and wore them to the show and they worked really well.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Looking at the setlists, do they play Dopesmoker in its entirety to open the show? Or is it more of a like 15 minute edit?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The play like the first twenty minutes. Then a lot of Holy Mountain. Then back to Dopesmoker if it's a long set.

Ivers
Mar 15, 2015
http://duplicaterecords.bandcamp.com/album/elektriske-skrekk-gler-og-forhistoriske-framtidsfabler

Tusmørke vs Spectral Haze split. Get your shaman drums and start bending time and space.

Ivers
Mar 15, 2015
High Priest of Saturn is not mentioned in this thread, which is a shame. Really good doom/stoner from Norway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5rpanoY8QA

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Wow, just found these guys Venus Sleeps, Psych/Doom from Ireland. Album came out in March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqPZFF_kML8

https://venussleeps.bandcamp.com

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Saw Thou & Sleep tonight, and as expected, they both owned.

For some reason, though, I was under the impression that the crowd would just be a bunch of headbanging potheads. There were those (that's probably the most continuous weed smoke I've smelled at a show since I saw Snoop Dogg at a festival a couple years ago), but I was surprised at how large of a pit there was too. Like, at one point during Sleep, the entire crowd was shoving each other and people were crowdsurfing and it was wild.

Also I didn't really dig the bass outro. The bass intro was alright because it led into the set, but the outro didn't lead into an encore or anything. It went on for like 10 straight minutes, and like 5 minutes into it, the crew started breaking down the drums, so I don't know why it went on for another 5 minutes or so. It seemed kind of unnecessary.

That's my only real complaint, though. Other than that, the show ruled. Matt (the guitarist) looked like he was having a loving blast the entire time and that made it even more enjoyable for me.

I was at this show, too (turning 40, even) and I was surprised by people trying to mosh.

I actually really dug Al's bass outro. We watched him for about 10 minutes or so until they started breaking down drums then went outside and listened to about 5 more minutes of him dicking around.

I still can't get into Thou for some reason, but the show was great overall, and the trip over was awesome. Best Bday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
How many still-active doom bands with some variation of -lord in their name are there? Off the top of my head, there's Monolord, Dopelord, Druglord, Rifflord, DoomLord... kind of want someone to put together an all-Lord music fest.