Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Lightning Bolt reprint at UNCOMMON :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

On a less exciting(but still somewhat exciting) note, fulminator mage is back, courtesy of a gathering magic video

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I see he's still doing that crazy, uh, dance. I always thought Fulminator Mage was doing some kind of salsa dancing in his card.

Spiderdrake posted:

At what standard do we consider a set "ridiculously marked up"?

$35 a draft makes me want to like, take up wargaming again.

I guess this is a weird question but are we implied to still be drafting MMA2015 in July? Kinda odd how Frost Walker matches the month people will be drafting the most of it, then Path shows up.

July is when Origins will be out.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Modern masters 2 looking good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

On a less exciting(but still somewhat exciting) note, fulminator mage is back, courtesy of a gathering magic video

Getting 4 of these, and like 7 hierarchs, and calling it a day. :v:

E: Assuming their price is lowered enough. Really happy about those two being in, they're close to the last big Modern cards I really need/want.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 5, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I like that they are reprinting a lot of expensive modern cards but I don't like that not literally every rare will be worth $20 :(

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Starving Autist posted:

I like that they are reprinting a lot of expensive modern cards but I don't like that not literally every rare will be worth $20 :(

So about half off.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Why does Wizards give a gently caress about the secondary market? Why can't every rare in a limited (if expanded) print run set be a 20 dollar card?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Four Score posted:

Why does Wizards give a gently caress about the secondary market? Why can't every rare in a limited (if expanded) print run set be a 20 dollar card?

Because a bunch of grogs will quit the game if their cardboard 401k goes under.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Four Score posted:

Because then what happens is all the packs get cracked by store owners who sell the singles, because that's way better value than not doing so.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Four Score posted:

Stores would either open all the packs for singles or mark the packs up to $25 each.

They could mass print the set so that all the formerly-$20 rares would end up at $5, but Wizards likes having expensive cards it can toss into sets to drive up sales.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Four Score posted:

Like realistically how can you print that many variants of Birds of Paradise in one set, let alone seven or more sets a year

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Are you guys just trolling or do you really not understand how a collectible card game works?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm waiting for the one guy that comes in screaming "BUT WHERE'S THE SNAPCASTER MAGE REPRINT?! :argh:", who clearly didn't get the memo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

For maximum trollage they should put Drana in the set just to ruin Limited matches.

Or better yet, at Mythic with the justification that she ruins limited matches.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Are you guys just trolling or do you really not understand how a collectible card game works?
It's like some holy trinity of reprint set spoiler season, salt about how the game costs too much, people poorly explaining economics and then people asking questions they don't actually want answered, it's just like easier to give an opinion with a question mark on the end?

Count Bleck posted:

I'm waiting for the one guy that comes in screaming "BUT WHERE'S THE SNAPCASTER MAGE REPRINT?! :argh:", who clearly didn't get the memo.
I'm pretty sure that post has already happened, is happening right now and will happen again, with only slight changes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Because then what happens is all the packs get cracked by store owners who sell the singles, because that's way better value than not doing so.

Among all the reasons why it won't happen, this particular point is a problem that solves itself because the idea is that very quickly all those $20 cards are no longer $20 cards! Yes, obviously it would be ludicrous if you could buy $10 worth of product and immediately flip it for $20, forever, but that doesn't happen ad infinitum. It might not even happen for a short period of time because the moment one guy can buy a $10 booster pack that is guaranteed to contain a "$20" card, so can everybody else, assuming the person in charge of determining print runs has come off their LSD trip and remembered to add back on the zeroes that were missing from MM1.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
If you crack a bunch of junk rares, the solution seems simple: just design a Modern deck that uses those junk rares that's better than all the other Modern decks and takes over the format. That should raise the price on those cards.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
At 189 a box, I don't think I'll have any problem getting my money's worth. If I get back 60% in value on any sealed product I feel ok about it, it's the sub 1$ mythics that get me salty.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

qbert posted:

If you crack a bunch of junk rares, the solution seems simple: just design a Modern deck that uses those junk rares that's better than all the other Modern decks and takes over the format. That should raise the price on those cards. make a cube that uses those cards to support awesome draft archetypes and forget about modern.

There you go.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Babylon Astronaut posted:

At 189 a box, I don't think I'll have any problem getting my money's worth. If I get back 60% in value on any sealed product I feel ok about it, it's the sub 1$ mythics that get me salty.

Any given sub-$1 Mythic will be gumming up your rare slot half as often as a sub-$1 rare.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

So far it seems like they're not going to go with a 5-color cycle of garbage, but you never know. They could print Urabrask.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I hadn't heard of this site, but another spoiler dropped

(Leeching is from the page I linked, is that okay?)

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Really, bitter blossom at mythic.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Xeom posted:

Really bitter at mythic blossom.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

So far it seems like they're not going to go with a 5-color cycle of garbage, but you never know. They could print Urabrask.

I think if they wanted to do a legendary mythic cycle the Praetors make a certain amount of sense, and that cycle only has one dud as opposed to multiple like the Kamigawa dragons.

WyvernSlayer
Apr 22, 2009

Some Knucklehead

Xeom posted:

Let's be honest, though. If mythics were a thing when Morningtide was released, BB would have been mythic.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Four Score posted:

This is legitimately exciting for me because I am building a cube out of uncommons only and getting Bolt in there rules. Still holding out hope for decent enemy duals or a Llanowar Elves variant. (Fellwar Elves! Print it, Wizards.)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Apocalypse Hydra, I'm sure you're all excited.

Iona courtesy of Wizards Spanish twitter channel.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

newtestleper posted:

To lower the MSRP they also need to print dramatically more packs,

Sounds good to me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Apocalypse Hydra being rare and not Mythic kicks rear end, partially confirms my RG Ramp theory, and gives me hope that they are consciously trying to make all of the Mythics money cards to minimize the number of pull feelbads.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

I think if they wanted to do a legendary mythic cycle the Praetors make a certain amount of sense, and that cycle only has one dud as opposed to multiple like the Kamigawa dragons.

Wait, which one is the dud? Elesh is Modern playable, and the other 4 are EDH staples that see play nowhere else.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jin Gitaxias goes into Reanimator occasionally.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

Wait, which one is the dud? Elesh is Modern playable, and the other 4 are EDH staples that see play nowhere else.

Urabrask has a Ryusei, the Falling Star air about him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Urabrask has seen a tiny bit of play in Hypergenesis and Tooth and Nail lists, although you'd probably just use something like Xenagod now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Four Score posted:

I was holding out hope that Bolt might be in Origins... No dice.

Starving Autist posted:

Actually the opposite is true, the depth of this set will drive down the price of everything. There is just a TON of good playable good stuff in here.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 5, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Nevertheless, a 6 dollar Mythic in a 10 dollar pack is a little disappointing.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I forget who asked for more "buddy cop" drafts from LSV and Sam black but I felt exactly the same way and I hope you were watching LSV's tempest remastered draft last night because wish granted.

I just wish I was signed into chat because I was jumping up and down yelling for him to take the stupid 5 drop anthem to use with his slivers but he passed it to keep Sam happy and then picked up 3 more slivers.

Watching Sam roll his eyes at LSV and LSV still winning is the reason for the season.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Last night it was Josh Utter-Layton, Wrapter.

The best was when Luis joined a Standard 8-man and deliberately made the worst plays every turn as far as land sequencing and land tapping. He still managed to win, because the opponent was playing Dragonlord Reanimator. In fact in game 3 Luis won with this board:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Jin Gitaxias goes into Reanimator occasionally.

Played it in Legacy reanimator and used it to crush a Food Chain players dreams.

• Locked thread