Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Maybe for X-2 HD you could draw fiends and make people use them instead of YRP?

Edit: either replace them all with chapter 1 fiends and stick or twist on each chapter, or draw one for each chapter 1-3 to replace a girl, with a chapter 5 fiend as like an optional wildcard for if you're dragging something really poo poo around (I'm skimming the guide on gamefaqs at the moment and it looks like you have to go out of your way to unlock the last new batches).

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Fungah! posted:

the xenoblade x thread is something like two years old and the game just came out in japan last week

To be fair, it's also the thread for Xenoblade Chronicles, which has been out for a few years and just got a 3DS release.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
People have also been hyped as gently caress about Xenoblade X because it was announced several years ago and was treated as a possible 2014 release, but ended up getting moved to 2015, and Xenoblade Chronicles had come out about a year earlier, if that, in the US where it was far more popular than Nintendo expected and resulted in XBCX getting an announced NA release instead of us having to beg Nintendo (again).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

FF5 is a weird case because you get all the jobs but one in the first third of the game. Pretty sure only Tactics lets you access all jobs that early on, and that requires a ton of grinding anyway, especially for the later jobs. Plus FF5 gives its jobs in plot-designated batches, with only one job locked behind a side quest (and even then it's a gimmicky one anyway). The closest any other FF game comes to fitting the Fiesta is FF1, and that one's hurt by having only six jobs to choose from and having nothing interesting to learn from. 12 IZJS could work, but that's not nearly as easy for people to access as FF5.

It'd make more sense to try to create new challenges for specific games than to keep trying to adapt FF5's. Of course, the problem is designing a challenge in such a way that people can have such unique experiences, which is the huge appeal of FJF in the first place, while also being accessible enough to not be a pain in the rear end, like some low-level runs.

i can see FF6 having some kind of each character gets assigned an esper at random kind of thing

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Sadly, I don't have the finances to rain berzerkers from the sky, unless something really changes between now and the Fiesta starting. (here's hoping!)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can't expect too much from the people whose creative talents result in characters like Alba.

Y'know, pretty much every time FFD gets brought up, I see people poo poo-talk Alba. I never really got that far in the game, why is she so universally loathed?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I really like FF6 and I wish there was a fancy updated version to play like there is with FF3 and 4.

(that isn't the terrible looking mobile release)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

i can see FF6 having some kind of each character gets assigned an esper at random kind of thing

Though then there's the problem where everybody's doing the same thing for hours until they get their first espers.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

The Machine posted:

I really like FF6 and I wish there was a fancy updated version to play like there is with FF3 and 4.

(that isn't the terrible looking mobile release)

ff3's ds version is trash butts, poo poo poop as well

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Is there even a good version of FF3 to begin with?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Butt Ghost posted:

Is there even a good version of FF3 to begin with?

No. But the Famicom version is the least bad, I suppose.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's the best of the NES Final Fantasies and an order of magnitude more fun than XIII, counts for something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Best of the NES Final Fantasies is the lIke the most damning with faint praise I've ever seen on this thread only met by "It being better than 13 counts for something."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

dmboogie posted:

Y'know, pretty much every time FFD gets brought up, I see people poo poo-talk Alba. I never really got that far in the game, why is she so universally loathed?

She affectionately calls a character "Mr. Perv" for an entire chapter and her dialogue is like 75% sex jokes.

I actually didn't find her that irritating because she was one of the few characters that had anything resembling a personality, but I also didn't get too far into the game so probably she gets worse.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So my experience with FFV consists of playing...I dunno, the first hour of it? As such I don't have a real grasp of the gameplay or anything.

Is the Four Job Fiesta thing a challenge run made for experts? I have no idea what it entails.

Basically what I'm asking is, should I play the normal game first?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

NikkolasKing posted:

So my experience with FFV consists of playing...I dunno, the first hour of it? As such I don't have a real grasp of the gameplay or anything.

Is the Four Job Fiesta thing a challenge run made for experts? I have no idea what it entails.

The Four Job Fiesta basically means that out of the four plot bunches of jobs (one for each crystal) you get one of each job and can only use those four jobs through the game. Plenty of people have done it as their first run through the game and it is not that hard because not only is FF5 not that hard of a game, but also you can go to the IRC chat and get a bunch of obsessive Final Fantasy nerds to spout numbers at you about how your team is actually fantastic and/or how lucky you are for getting Blue Mage.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Or Summoner, every time I see a summoner in anyone else's team I cry and wail because god damnit why can't I get the best class in the game gently caress you buddy

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

id play normally first. a huge part of the fun of ff5 is playing around with the jobs and mixmatching abilities. Fjf is fun as a different way to approach the game after you've done that. it's possible to do it on your first go, but you're missing out on the core experience of the game

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

dmboogie posted:

Mega64 posted:

She affectionately calls a character "Mr. Perv" for an entire chapter and her dialogue is like 75% sex jokes.

I actually didn't find her that irritating because she was one of the few characters that had anything resembling a personality, but I also didn't get too far into the game so probably she gets worse.

As somebody who completed the game all the way through, she's just terrible. She's all about terrible references and she gets treated like a special snowflake for no reason. For no reason. The worst part is she's actually the best black mage in your whole cast, so once the teams regroup if you want optimal effectiveness you have to carry her around with you. But gently caress that, I deliberately made the healer chick the damage dealer and stuck Alba in some useless role.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After doing regular Fiestas the past two years I am finally going to sign up for Berserker Risk, bring 'em on.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I've been putzing around with some data to learn Tableau better this week, and I decided to write a python scraper for Terence Fergusson's FF7 Mechanics guide to pull the encounter and enemy data.

It isn't really very far along but I thought some of ya'll might find it very mildly interesting for 2 minutes:
FF7 Enemy Database

Put that together watching TV last night, thinking about how one could incorporate more data to make a sort of "FAQ Dashboard" that would have this kind of info maybe over a map or something to give a quick reference as you play through a game. Could eventually add more info about items, limit breaks, characters, materia etc. I have all that in Excel already but just not sure if there are interesting ways to present it.

It's also incomplete - need to do some cleanup of the enemies that were parsed from the FAQ. I found 4 different sites with 4 different stats for some of the monsters and I don't know that I'm going to spend more than another hour or two later this week playing with the data some more.

Also thinking about other games with easy sources of tabular data that could be made into interesting formats like the Souls series.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Wondering if ffxi would be possible to toss into the group for 4 job fiesta. I'm sure the job-subjob system would be great for randomizing retarded combos like the brady games war/whm maintank and there's a large amount of midgame and late game content that would be awesome to throw bad job combos at.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's only for good games, sorry.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

frodnonnag posted:

Wondering if ffxi would be possible to toss into the group for 4 job fiesta. I'm sure the job-subjob system would be great for randomizing retarded combos like the brady games war/whm maintank and there's a large amount of midgame and late game content that would be awesome to throw bad job combos at.

man the thought of levelling up some random job combo in xi is making me literally cringe

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've been playing the FFV Ancient Cave romhack for the last few days in anticipation for the fiesta, and I had a question and had no better idea where to ask. Apparently there's supposed to be a chocobo merchant on a few floors who sells you stuff at random/inflated prices, but I've literally never seen them. I've made it pretty far multiple times now, is that just super bad luck on my part, or is he hidden behind a secret passage or something?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

it's been a real long time since i played FFVAC but i think it's just random chance. that's kind of why i stopped playing, the idea's super cool but it really needs a few more balance passes to make it less of a dicefest. like, some runs you just get screwed and there's not much you can do about it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've definitely gotten owned by the RNG a few times (one run where I didn't get any jobs beyond white mage for 25 floors, the damage was pretty well done by then), but if I had to make one major critique it'd be that the 5/10 minute timer per floor is really stupid. As in, it should be even shorter; The game pretty much expects you to grind for 5 minutes on each floor which is a lot of loving grinding and nothing to break it up. Increase exp gains and reduce the timer. The larger 10 minute timer seems really silly too since afaik there's no way to really know that the next floor is a doozy so an extra few minutes of grinding would be useful. Something like 3/6 instead of 5/10 would be more exciting I feel.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I've definitely gotten owned by the RNG a few times (one run where I didn't get any jobs beyond white mage for 25 floors, the damage was pretty well done by then), but if I had to make one major critique it'd be that the 5/10 minute timer per floor is really stupid. As in, it should be even shorter; The game pretty much expects you to grind for 5 minutes on each floor which is a lot of loving grinding and nothing to break it up. Increase exp gains and reduce the timer. The larger 10 minute timer seems really silly too since afaik there's no way to really know that the next floor is a doozy so an extra few minutes of grinding would be useful. Something like 3/6 instead of 5/10 would be more exciting I feel.

yeah that was my other big issue, each run takes forever because you've got to grind as hard as possible every single floor to stay ahead of the curve. it's still ar eally cool concept and i'd live to see a real roguelike with a randomized job system and a party like this

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

frodnonnag posted:

I love FFXI and look back on it fondly, but this is a pretty awful idea.

That said, every once and a while I think about doing a let's play of its story content but they'll probably pull the servers down before I ever get to do that, because let's be honest, I don't have that much free time.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Fungah! posted:

man the thought of levelling up some random job combo in xi is making me literally cringe

Between roe, the exp curve revisions, trusts, books, abyssea and exp bonus rings, the roadblocks are more the limit breaks and quests.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The thing about FFXI, is that it has one of the most well crafted, immersive settings I've encountered in a video game, and some of the best writing ever in a Final Fantasy game (granted, that isn't saying much, but still.) Unfortunately, most of it was locked behind lots Everquest 1 style insane grinding and super hard missions, so few people ever got to see it, and that makes me legitimately kind of sad.

Now granted, they did fix most of the game's glaring problems, but this was years after most people had completely written it off and either left for WoW or swore off MMOs, so it was a bit of too little, too late.

When I originally played the game, I ragequit it around the Chains of Promathia \ Aht Urghan expansion, just because as it was originally designed, it was terrible and drat near impossible to beat. Good luck getting through missions when they're level capped and people aren't willing to help because they don't have lower level gear. I probably lost to the Omega Weapon \ Ultima Weapon airship fight about 10 times and said "gently caress this game" and quit.

A few years later, a friend of mine convinced me to try it again, and lo and behold, most of the horrible stuff was gone. Insanely long grinding to level up? Gone. Can't solo? Gone. Capped missions? Gone. Notorious monsters that take a week to spawn and have people waiting hours for them to pop? Gone. Takes forever to travel? You can warp anywhere instantly. Loose exp when you die? Reduced so much you don't even notice. I'm probably forgetting a million things that they fixed.

I was glad that they fixed the game's glaring flaws so that I could enjoy the good parts of it without having to deal with all its bullshit. I was like "wow, it looks like Square has learned from all their mistakes! Awesome! I bet XIV will be awesome!"

I was wrong. XI didn't suddenly get better because SE had learned from their mistakes. It skyrocketed in quality because Hiromichi Tanaka left to gently caress up another game - the notorious abortion that was Final Fantasy XIV 1.0. Not only one of the worst MMOs I've played, one of the very worst games period. Words cannot describe how bad it was. Hiromichi Tanaka is the rear end in a top hat responsible for all the abusive grindy poo poo in XI, making the DS ports of III and IV worse than the original versions, and the giant turd that was XIV 1.0.

The original XIV bombed so hard that it nearly bankrupted SE, ruined the image of the Final Fantasy brand and SE had to completely scrap the game and make an entire new FFXIV from scratch. Thankfully, Tanaka has retired for "health reasons" and XIV 2.0 is a pretty solid game made by all around cool dude Yoshi P.

I seriously think that the failure of the original FFXIV was the best thing to happen to SE, because it was a wake up call. If it hadn't have bombed so badly, SE would probably still be making the same mediocre crap they were a few years back.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I got hooked on Record Keeper when it came out (don't worry, I'm not here to talk about that) and it put me on a big retro kick, so last weekend I dug out my SNES and Final Fantasy II cartridge and played it for the first time since maybe middle school. I replayed the original FFI and FFVI a few years ago but didn't get around to IV until now, and man it is really fun. It's way easier as an adult, actually paying attention to the fights, instead of running from everything except bosses like my dumbass self did as a kid.

I'm finding it a really weird middle ground between I and VI, actually. For example, I found the damage variance to be all over the place, like normal attacks from Cecil doing 80-400 damage on the same enemy. One of my friends worked on the DS remake and told me that the damage calculation is actually figuring in multiple hits, like in FFI, but not displaying them. The magic and equipment systems are also pretty impenetrable unless you experiment a lot or have the manual (which I still do) and can suss out what things are through the inaccurate translation. I was also shocked to learn that magic can straight-up miss; everyone has a magic avoidance rating, and though it tends to be pretty low even basic elemental spells can whiff.

It's definitely not perfect. The random encounter rate is super high, which is a little annoying when I finish a battle and take two steps into another one. Also, I didn't really notice when I was a kid but the translation is pretty bad... seems like they translated a lot of sentences literally where the Japanese omits the subject out of habit, and it totally doesn't work in English. Those are minor issues though, and the game really holds up even now. Looks really funny on my 50" TV, too. I can finally tell what some of the characters are doing with their hands in their guard poses.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What people call "immersive" in FFXI is just Tanaka personally punching you in the dick over and over again. The game was full of really awful game design that wouldn't fly today because no one knew any better and there was nothing else on the market. Like there's nothing more immersive than a main city filled with DPS hobos begging for DPS slots and even if you do find a group you sit around jerking off for half an hour because you missed the instanced airship ride to the grinding spot, where you proceed to kill the same mobs for hours at a time. You spend like your entire life's savings as a newbie on random rear end items just to unlock a job that sounds cool like Ninja or Samurai where you have to run through areas in the world that "felt dangerous" spamming potions that would stealth/silence you because everything was level 50+ for a quest you can do at level 30, which you had to look up on some lovely website like Allakazam or whatever because you wouldn't figure out the quest in the first place on your own until you were many, many levels higher. Assuming of course you did your due dilligence and grinded some exp as a buffer in case you died because you don't want to delevel to 29 in the middle of a quest now do you. That's assuming you didn't print out the walkthrough in the first place because you couldn't alt tab out of the game unless you used a third party hack.

And the best part is a lot of the advanced jobs simply couldn't be played by newbies because they were too expensive to play optimally and grinding parties were very picky about who they wanted to invite for the next 4 hour exp grinding session because they had to maximize their kill speed. Plenty of broken people still wistfully reminisce of the (literal) days of camping rare monster spawns in hopes that they would drop their rare loot so they could save up for their game changing single gear slot upgrade they needed to be taken seriously at level 42. The price of which was heavily inflated from all the botters and gil sellers messing with the market.

FFXI is literally the worst game in the series and that is including FFXIII.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Eej posted:

What people call "immersive" in FFXI is just Tanaka personally punching you in the dick over and over again. The game was full of really awful game design that wouldn't fly today because no one knew any better and there was nothing else on the market. Like there's nothing more immersive than a main city filled with DPS hobos begging for DPS slots and even if you do find a group you sit around jerking off for half an hour because you missed the instanced airship ride to the grinding spot, where you proceed to kill the same mobs for hours at a time. You spend like your entire life's savings as a newbie on random rear end items just to unlock a job that sounds cool like Ninja or Samurai where you have to run through areas in the world that "felt dangerous" spamming potions that would stealth/silence you because everything was level 50+ for a quest you can do at level 30, which you had to look up on some lovely website like Allakazam or whatever because you wouldn't figure out the quest in the first place on your own until you were many, many levels higher. Assuming of course you did your due dilligence and grinded some exp as a buffer in case you died because you don't want to delevel to 29 in the middle of a quest now do you. That's assuming you didn't print out the walkthrough in the first place because you couldn't alt tab out of the game unless you used a third party hack.

And the best part is a lot of the advanced jobs simply couldn't be played by newbies because they were too expensive to play optimally and grinding parties were very picky about who they wanted to invite for the next 4 hour exp grinding session because they had to maximize their kill speed. Plenty of broken people still wistfully reminisce of the (literal) days of camping rare monster spawns in hopes that they would drop their rare loot so they could save up for their game changing single gear slot upgrade they needed to be taken seriously at level 42. The price of which was heavily inflated from all the botters and gil sellers messing with the market.

No, I'm talking about the setting being good. Like, the actual world and backstory.

The visuals, music, setting and storyline were incredible. It's just that... you know... the gameplay was really, really crap. Everquest style dick punching really is some of the worst game design ever. Tanaka was loving horrible and I have no sympathy for the man. Pre-Abyssea FFXI was basically like an abusive relationship simulator. All that stuff you listed, though? They fixed all of that once Tanaka left to gently caress up XIV.

I can't defend poo poo like waiting hours for a party or for rare monsters to pop and the stuff you listed, because that poo poo was awful and is literally indefensible. There are plenty of broken autists who say abyssea ruined the game by making it "too casual" and these are the worst MMO players. On one had, if they had never fixed all the poo poo you just listed, I would have never even considered playing that game ever again. Unfortunately, since Tanaka ran the game into the ground for years since day one, it drove off everyone else who would have played it other than the insano basement dwellers.

I'll give you this - Tanaka run FFXI was the worst game in the series by a long shot. Like I said, I did ragequit the game and hated it for many years. Don't think I enjoyed all the Tanaka dick punching just because I said the worldbuilding was good. Post Tanaka XI I enjoyed playing.

Is it worth playing now if you haven't already though? Probably not. The game is really clunky and frankensteined together after 15 years. And nobody plays it anymore. It hasn't aged well.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Eej posted:

All valid complaints of the game about 5+years ago.
You're now able to directly warp to like 90% of the zones in the game. Cop is no longer levelcapped with levelcap zones and roe helps gear newbies while also making leveling easier alongside trusts. Most new players leveling from 1 hit 30 in an evening, 50 in a weekend and 70 in like a week. 2 weeks for 99 if they complete maat and this includes some more things along the way.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

I bought the famicom japanese ff3 cart in Japan because I'm a huge nerd and it looks nice

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Eej posted:

Ff11 was so poo poo (I played for years) that I know ff14 is better and still won't play it. MMOs are broken for me

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

dmboogie posted:

You know how some games have funny characters who sometimes break the 4th wall? Imagine that written by a kid who thinks they're hilarious because everyone else smiles and nods out of pity. She's simply a badly written character that fails to hit every mark other than "is unbearably terrible."

Countblanc posted:

They need to hack it so you have a finite number of fights every floor. Lufia 2's Ancient Cave would've been way the gently caress easier if you could just grind on any floor even for just a few minutes.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm finding it a really weird middle ground between I and VI, actually. For example, I found the damage variance to be all over the place, like normal attacks from Cecil doing 80-400 damage on the same enemy. One of my friends worked on the DS remake and told me that the damage calculation is actually figuring in multiple hits, like in FFI, but not displaying them.

This is how a lot of Final Fantasy games, including 5 and 6, work. Damage is just something basic like Atk - Def * Attack# with a little variance tossed in. It's also why in FF1 you can have your Fighter and Red Mage taking gently caress all damage for the first few hours due to the absorb on their chain armor while bbelt and thief get solid damage taken in the wood gear and black/white mage take dozens of damage from stuff that does single digit damage to your fighters. I think FF1 does a critical hit check on every hit of an attack while some other games just do an all or nothing for critical hits.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
FF14 is basically WoW with a ton of FF references (the one most out of left field for me was when a boss started casting Double before his huge nuke and then Triple later in the fight) and is also the prettiest MMO on the market solely through visual design rather than technical prowess. I recommend everyone who likes playing videojuegos on the internets to give it a try.

frodnonnag posted:

All valid complaints of the game about 5+years ago.
You're now able to directly warp to like 90% of the zones in the game. Cop is no longer levelcapped with levelcap zones and roe helps gear newbies while also making leveling easier alongside trusts. Most new players leveling from 1 hit 30 in an evening, 50 in a weekend and 70 in like a week. 2 weeks for 99 if they complete maat and this includes some more things along the way.

I have heard it's better now but it's also completely irrelevant now too so it still sits as The Worst Final Fantasy Ever in my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Unfortunately it took 5+ years and 4 expansions to make FFXI into a decent, non-lovely game, and as we can see in the thread, by that point the damage had be done and most people never wanted to touch it again. I was in the same camp as you guys back in around 2005-2009 or so, but I gave it a second chance and I was pleasantly surprised.

The thing that makes me sad is that there's so much cool content that was locked behind some of the worst game design ever that few people ever got to see. By the time they actually fixed it, it was too little too late. :( In spite of crappy game design, it has some of the very best lore I've ever seen in a video game until Mass Effect (and before ME3 pooped all over it.) I just think it's a goddamn shame.

The first time I quit the game, I learned to loving hate it. Now I feel pretty satisfied having finished the ingame storylines and I feel like I can leave the game in peace now.